Random Discussion

art is brain damage
subcultured at 1:16PM, July 15, 2009
(online)
makes you think if creating art is intrinsic or just a product of brain damage. check out these people who became artists because of brain abnormality.
http://weburbanist.com/2009/07/12/stroke-of-genius-abilities-borne-of-brain-damage/
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
Splash Damage at 1:50PM, July 15, 2009
(online)
very cool. I want a brain tumor and some hallucinations.
drunkduck.com/splash_damage
Updating Again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
ifelldownthestairs at 7:08PM, July 15, 2009
(online)
That's fascinating to think that there could be any given innate ability simply dormant somewhere in the back of your brain. It really makes you wonder if there are people who live their whole lives without knowing that they could've been a phenomenal artist, had that part of their brain only been stimulated.

The title of the article, “Stroke of Genius”, made me laugh because it made me think of a total douchebag whose bad joke could finally be used constructively.

“Oh, he dropped his glass again because he can't control his hand anymore? Not exactly a STROKE of genius there, huh? HUH?? HAHAHAHA!! HAHAhahaha… ha…… what?”
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
http://www.drunkduck.com/i_fell_down_the_stairs
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Freegurt at 12:18PM, July 16, 2009
(online)
Snazzy. Though, I don't think most of those paintings are very good, I personally don't think abstract takes any talent TBQH.

It reminds me of the lady who lost her sense of smell after a stroke. Or the other woman who spoke perfect German after hers (and forgot English).

The brain is indeed a fascinating thing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
ozoneocean at 12:46AM, July 17, 2009
(online)
Freegurt
Snazzy. Though, I don't think most of those paintings are very good, I personally don't think abstract takes any talent TBQH.
This.

It's subjective.

As is the whole idea that their brain damage did anything at all to their “art”. It's just a silly inference.

The reality is that with a brain injury people have more time to f**k around during recuperation. If “art” seems like a good way to pass the time and they enjoy it, they'll get better at what they do.
There are variations- Maybe they can't concentrate much anymore, so doing “art” helps them focus… and then the same scenario: do it more = get better.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Ironscarf at 4:18AM, July 17, 2009
(online)
May the ghost of Jackson Pollock dribble in your turn ups you naysayers!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
ozoneocean at 7:28AM, July 17, 2009
(online)
Pollack wasn't mentally ill, just a terminally drunk. He was into the scene in the 50's and 60's and struck it lucky with the critics at the time, who championed his particular “thing”. More like gimmick really in the context of what was going on.
But regardless, the 20th Century was littered with superstar artists who were propelled to fame, fortune and celebrity on the fine art crest of the pop-culture wave in some sort of cartoonish concentrated imitation of the succession of art movements of the previous centuries… The pretended linear progression of ideas and culture from lesser to greater that was modernism.

It produced some interesting things, but certainly regarded itself as far more important and greater than it was…

———

Anyway, if you went back to the early days of modernism, these people would probably be regarded as “outsider artists”. Which was a nice way of saying ‘harmless ingenue niaves producing interesting things in crude imitation of real art’
…That's NOT my opinion of them at all, it was just the way people thought about that sort of thing then.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
ifelldownthestairs at 11:04AM, July 17, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
The reality is that with a brain injury people have more time to f**k around during recuperation. If “art” seems like a good way to pass the time and they enjoy it, they'll get better at what they do.
There are variations- Maybe they can't concentrate much anymore, so doing “art” helps them focus… and then the same scenario: do it more = get better.

I hardly think that this is just a hobby that these people were forced to adopt and got better at. If that's the case, why are there so many people who struggle to become artists and yet simply don't have the talent or creativity? I think the ability is either naturally there or it isn't; of course repeated practice is going to make you better, but some start out with a hell of a lot more than others.

Though granted, I'm sure when a stroke precedes your artistic awakening, fame is easier to attain.

….if that IS the case, I'm faking a stroke tomorrow. And then I'm going to show everyone my comic.

“Oh my god, that man had a stroke… and then he made this… webcomic… with microsoft paint… he's a GENIUS”

Edit: and courageous too! I forgot courageous.

That's how it'll be reported on the news. They'll talk about how I'm a genius and then the next show will come on. Then suddenly they'll interrupt to say “AND HE'S COURAGEOUS TOO”
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
http://www.drunkduck.com/i_fell_down_the_stairs
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved