Networking & Community Projects*

Art Marathon - 24 hours of art making benefiting Free the Slaves
Night_Mare at 1:36PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
I'm organizing an art-related fundraiser for Free the Slaves. Is anyone here interested in participating and/or watching?

————————

Slavery is illegal in every country in the world, but there are still 27 million people enslaved. Slavery today is even worse than it used to be because food shortages have made it easy for traffickers to trick people into slavery by pretending to offer them jobs. This has led to enslaved people being treated as disposable. However, it is easier to end slavery now than ever before. Slaves make up a smaller percentage of the world population than they used to, no industry relies on slavery to continue, and it is generally accepted that slavery is wrong. Now is the time to abolish slavery.

Art Marathon is a 24 hour art-making session to raise awareness about modern slavery and raise money for Free the Slaves, a nonprofit organization that liberates slaves and teaches them jobs skills so that they do not fall back into poverty. The artists will do their marathons at various times between Saturnday, December 26 and Friday, January 1. Many of the artists will stream live video of their art as they create it.

Visit art-marathon.org to learn more about modern slavery and Art Marathon, or to sign up to participate in the marathon. Artists in any medium (visual art, performance, writing, etc.) are welcome to participate.

If you’re not up for staying up 24 hours to make art, you can still help out by spreading the word. A sample blog and forum post for telling artists about the marathon is available at art-marathon.org now. Flyers, press releases and a donor-directed sample blog post will be added in the beginning of December.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM
lucas_irineu at 10:12AM, Dec. 10, 2009
(online)
Sounds cool. You got any more information about what exactly the artists who participate will have to do?

Even if I don't join I will be sure to let all the artists I know know about this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon