Media Megaforum

art style changes on tv- from comicbook heroes to anime babes
jimmy_genocide at 8:47AM, Dec. 10, 2007
(offline)
ok so i was just in annother section of the forum and i was posting on a thread called “best moment in cartoon history” the discussion on the thread had started to breach into a discussion of popular telivision we watched growing up… now heres what i got

80's-early 90's—-we had good ol' saturday morning cartoons like bugs bunny and the roadrunner and amazing comic book shows like x-men, spiderman, and all that good stuff

mid 90's to early new mellenium— “the anime invasion on american tv” pokemon, digimon, dragon ball z, gundam and son to follow, inuyasha

last 5 years or so- we get new shows based on the classics like batman beyond,xmen evolution and the new spiderman/ teenage mutant ninja turtles series.

now i grew up on the old school art style from the original american comic books like superman and batman and so on, but when i was in late elementry school everything suddenly changed to anime style, at the time i loved it and in many ways it affected my art, i still see alot of anime/manga qualities in my art.

but in highschool there was a debate over comics that had started (actually it kicked off when i started writing comics) now this was a war between manga style comics and old school american style, at this stage in my life i was actually more fond of mangas but aw i matured a little bit i started hunting my roots and found home again in the classic american comic book style.

concerning tv, i expressed 3 eras, but heres the thing, in the begining the first 2 ears where very different, but in the third when america “striked back” they took on many anime traits..

so now on with the discussion whos side is everyone on? why? and how do you feel about the american shows changing thier styles?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM
isukun at 11:58AM, Dec. 10, 2007
(online)
American children's TV seems to cycle between phases of primarily imported TV programming (mostly anime) and Western shows. The late 70's and Early 80's saw a wave of anime, as well, with shows like Battle of the Planets, Voltron, Robotech, Grimm's Fairy Tales, Mighty Orbots, the Little Prince, Belle and Sebastian and a number of others, as well as various coop projects between American and Japanese studios like Transformers, Heathcliff, Inspector Gadget, thundercats, etc.

Before then, Hanna Barbera made a crapload of low budget TV series, but go back a little more to the 60's and you'll see another wave of anime with shows like Astro Boy, Speed Racer, Gigantor, 8th Man, Kimba the White Lion, The Amazing 3, Ken the Wolf Boy, and several others (along with a number of live action shows aimed at kids, as well).

With the 80's, though, fans started to actually differentiate between anime and Western cartoons. This has led to a popularization of the “anime style” which we're seeing even in series conceptualized in the US these days.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Ziffy88 at 4:25PM, Dec. 10, 2007
(offline)
actually Batman Beyond was before 2000 Justice League came out. The recent generation of animation focuses on 2d retro style and even more on anime again. Whereas early 90s mixed a little Japanese and modern comics(Liefeld Jim Lee)
Anyways as for style it really depends on how you use it. How much flavor can you give the series and also does the tone fit the story. Imagine if Spawn was animated with bright colors and high pitched voices.
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:01PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved