Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Artist block!!
emjee at 4:32PM, Dec. 16, 2006
(online)
Yup! I just got over artists block and I thought I'd hear other people's remedies for it. I just kinda take a break from drawing for a bit and take a walk or look at other peoples work until I'm re-inspired. Or I rethink my style (but that's not often).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
LunarYouko at 4:40PM, Dec. 16, 2006
(offline)
I actually have no remedy yet. When I have an artist block, I just don't draw. Usually, though, not that I ever seek it out, when I am particuarly emotional whether angry or depressed, I tend to be really motivated to draw and in such a state I create my betst works.

The best thing that works for me though, is to step away and occupy with some thing else like a video game or to sleep. I prefer not to look at other artwork though, since if I don't feel like drawing, looking at other people's work tends to discourage me from drawing rather than making me want to draw too, dunno how to explain the reason behind it though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
kingofsnake at 10:43PM, Dec. 16, 2006
(online)
I find having a schedule to keep with the comic helps keep me drawing. But otherwise I like to listen to some music and let my mind wander to a picture. I also have a bunch of oldskool videogame posters I'm supposed to draw for a buddy of mine who owns a lan center. So i'm never really short on stuff I need to draw.

And then sometimes I just do colorjobs for other people's pencil art I like
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
Green_Tangerine at 12:44AM, Dec. 17, 2006
(offline)
I find that retreating from drawing altogether never helps me, I end up filling up my time with other things and then the comic doesn't get updated for a month, or something like that.
If I'm having a hard time I'll usually just start sketching random things until I like what I see. I have a whole binderful of things I drew on ‘off’ days. Most of them doodles of me saying “ugh, can't draw today.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
Piscareous at 6:07AM, Dec. 18, 2006
(offline)
I tend to just put down the pencil and walk away. Sometimes for a few hours sometimes for a few days(or longer). Sometimes I'm stubborn and will keep on pushing through to get what I'm trying to draw done. That way is much more frustrating though.
“Censorship is the child of fear and the father of ignorance”
{url=http://www.drunkduck.com/Serenade_Song/}
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
Claudia at 12:07AM, Dec. 19, 2006
(offline)
I think the best thing to do is to take a short break then do something unrelated to your art block.
Let's say you were working on a comic update, can't finish?
Take a break for about an hour or so then go do something art related such as sketching or maybe a dot picture.
It helps you practice so art block won't be as tortureous and you'll be better next time…
Or so I think…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM
nonnymouse at 4:51PM, Jan. 1, 2007
(online)
oooooo ! oooooooo! i have a suggestion! lots of times when u have artists block, its cuz either the comic is boring u or u just finished a way exciting part and now everyones standing around like, well, glad thats over…… and they're dialogue consists of a lot of !!!!!! WELL! u should think of a scene you'd relly like to draw and put that in, like someone plays whos in ur mouth at a hard core party, the lights turn on and they ended up kissing their arch nemesis! —dont use that i wanna use it now!!!

also, even if my advice is bull, pleez dont spend ur next comments dissing it out, or rather, go ahead, cuz i dont relly care and ill probs never visit this forum again….
Stop looking at my signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM
WingNut at 8:56PM, Jan. 1, 2007
(offline)
Because of the fact that my art is the only thing that keeps me sane, I have no option but to not get artists block. Forging straight through, even though it's frustrating is the only way for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
lothar at 2:28AM, Jan. 5, 2007
(online)
lothar
yea!
get a job , all i do when im at work is think about making comics, but then theres no time to do them cuz i'm soo busy working, and when i didn't hav a job all i did was play video games all nite and sleep all day and drink whiskey!!
Someone
a busy person gets more done
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Roguehill at 5:53AM, Jan. 5, 2007
(offline)
I go to my drawing space (I really have one now!), listen to music that gets my creative juices flowing and look at work that inspires me. Then I look that the blank page, imagine something that would look cool and draw it.

…then I try to find a way for it to make sense in my story!)

Seriously, when I feel like I really am too tired to draw, I just go anyway to see if anything “catches”. Usually, it does.

And try to stay away from “City of Heroes”. That game eats you alive….)

-Roguehill

GHOST ZERO
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:09PM
danthemancartoons at 8:38AM, Jan. 6, 2007
(offline)
Just a suggestion but try imitating or drawing other comic characters etc. Anything to keep it fun. Or just go crazy and forget all the rules of anatomy for fifteen minutes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
Priceman at 8:21PM, Jan. 8, 2007
(online)
Strange as it may sound, when i get the dreaded block i usually get over it by watching others draw. One of my favorite shows is Miami Ink, it's basically a show about a tattoo parlor going through day to day stuff. On the show the artist are always making cool and original creations. I find watching others gets me back in the mood to pick up my pencil and go at it again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved