Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Artist's Alley tips
ShadowsMyst at 7:47PM, March 12, 2006
(online)
So I'm looking for some tips from other people who have been to conventions (or attended them) that had an artists alley. I'm going to be in the Artist's Alley at Sakura con in Seatle here and I'm trying to figure out what all I should bring and prepare. I've been at a dealer's table before, but as far as I can tell, they are a little different in terms of expectation, not only from the con's own definition, but what con-goers expect.

Anyone got any gems of tips, tricks, what absolutely to bring, what not to bring, etc, etc?

I can't have anything professionally produced ( due to time constraints), so whatever is suggested has to be able to be done by hand or with a color laser printer. :P

I'm running myself in circles here.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
hpkomic at 8:41PM, March 12, 2006
(online)
Not been to a con, but from what I've heard/seen, people love sketches and seeing the “behind the scenes” elements.

Bring a sketchbook and offer some sketches to people, if you're confident enough, you could even charge for personalized ones.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
warofwinds at 8:59PM, March 12, 2006
(offline)
Ooo, good post. I'm going to my first one next month. Beforehand I'm going to print out some of my favorite pages in color, and attach to that inked and penciled versions for a look at the technical aspect, and just have good quality prints to hand out for a buck or so. I'm also going to make myself into a human billboard with a cheap iron-on shirt design…

But the only thing I can recommend is bringing lots of original stuff, that and having short, concise speeches about what you do and why already planned. Nothing like stuttering for a minute or so to make people think you have an IQ of 10. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:46PM
dogtopus at 4:37AM, March 13, 2006
(online)
Free stuff! Have little cheapass samples photocopied out, shout “free stuff!” and stuff it into people's hands. That way you engage them with your table, and can sell them things. :D If they're not interested, then they still have something of yours to look at later.

I've found the hardest part is getting people to engage. “want to look at my comic?” can work, but “free stuff!” always gets heads snapping around. :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved