Debate and Discussion

Asperger's Syndrome?
Custard Trout at 10:34AM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
Well, I've been a member for a couple of weeks now, and I was starting to wonder if there is anybody else on DD who have Asperger's Syndrome? How do you feel about it? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I'm just curious.

I was diagnosed with it a few years ago, before that it was suspected that it was dyslexia, and in infant school they thought I was just lazy, it was in primary school when it became obvious that I had a problem.

If you don't understand or have questions about Asperger's, don't be afraid to ask, I won't take offence, but keep in mind that it effects different individuals in different ways, and not all the effects are negative, so just because I have a symptom and consider it negative (or positive) another person who has Asperger's may not suffer from it or even, if he/she does, then they might not consider it negative (or positive).

Anyway, it has effected my life in various ways, the most obvious being my relationships and social skills. I'd go into it more, but the post would just end up being to long and dull to read, and I'd rather have people ask me specifically what they want to know.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Alexis at 11:19AM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
My older sibling has it. Similar story, they thought it was dyslexia, then a variety of other things before the diagnosis was made. Myself, I refuse to go to doctors, I'd rather not be diagnosed with anything.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
Custard Trout at 11:31AM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
I didn't go to any doctors, they came to me. I hated all the special treatment and patronizing manner people adopted when I was around, so I usually try to hide it and think of other excuses as to why I seem to be a cold, emotionless husk most of the time.
josif at 11:33AM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
I have a question… What is it?
Is it anything like Autism?
Because I have a lot of relatives who have autism.
Your Reading Skills Have Increased By Two Points.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
ozoneocean at 11:38AM, March 16, 2007
(online)
Meh, I consider it one of those fringe things myself… (not as in your comic though Alexis ^_^). When it comes to “diseases”, “conditions” and “syndromes” I'm conservative and old fashioned. So whether it's mild depression, Asperger's, Dyslexia, various phobias, Autism or whatever; unless it's actually a real negative condition that seriously affects your way of life and that's obviously detrimental to your life quality and the quality of the people's lives around you, then to me your “problem” just doesn't register.

But that's just me :)

And if it is serious like the Schizophrenia that means one of my friends is virtually institutionalised for life, or something like severe manic depression (they call it bi-polar these days but I won't), then you have all my sympathy and support. ^_^

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Custard Trout at 11:39AM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
josif
I have a question… What is it?
Is it anything like Autism?
Because I have a lot of relatives who have autism.

Yeah, it's very similar to autism, there's lot to it though, and I don't understand it completely, so here's a wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

Hope that helps.

ozoneocean
Meh, I consider it one of those fringe things myself… (not as in you comic though Alexis ). When it comes to “diseases”, “conditions” and “syndromes” I'm conservative and old fashioned. So whether it's mild depression, Asperger's, Dyslexia, various phobias, Autism or whatever; unless it's actually a real negative condition that seriously affects your way of life and that's obviously detrimental to your life quality and the quality of the people's lives around you, then to me your “problem” just doesn't register.

But that's just me

And if it is serious like the Schizophrenia that means one of my friends is virtually institutionalised for life, or something like severe manic depression (they call it bi-polar these days but I won't), they you have all my sympathy and support. ^_^

I suppose it does effect you life depending on how seriously you take it, but it's more a social thing, because I have virtually zero social grievances, I am also very blunt, cannot under sarcasm, metaphors, or more subtle emotions, and, as early as afe months ago, I was completely incapable of comprehending the fact that people might not understand my way of talking.

I do meet a lot of ‘old fashioned people’, they usually think I'm just weird though.

The only thing I seriously dislike though, is being patronized, from what I've seen, I'm at least five times more intelligent than the idiots I'm surrounded by most of the time. And being introduced as having ‘special needs’, although I do enjoy the look on their faces when they don't get the drooling retard they were expecting.

This is a common occurrence:

Someone: Hel-lo, my-name-is-

Me: Could you talk faster please? I can't understand a word you're saying.
Custard Trout at 12:39PM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
Just something I want to quickly get off my chest: Asperger's Syndrome IS NOT FUN. I mention this because when some people ask about the way I am, and I tell them about my Asperger's Syndrome, they sometimes react with ‘holy shit, you have mental problems? THAT IS SO COOL EL EM AH OH!’ it isn't.

I am constantly paranoid, constantly, I always feel like someone is watching me, and that a random person on the street will just turn round and bite my head off for no reason.

I have become aware of my problem, I am now always worried that I will make some sort of stupid social error, and I have trouble doing something unless there's someone else doing it as well, unless there is a lot of them, in which I will avoid it. This isn't just for activities, it goes for places I'll go and things I'll walk on (there's a field outside my college with a path going around the edge, you can cut straight across the field to get to the doors, but I'll do that if there's other people walking on it too, otherwise I feel really self conscious). I always stare at people when I walk past them in the street, I can't help it, I've tried to stop it but my head has already snapped up by the time I realise I'm doing it, and a lot of the time I sort of try to pull my head down again, this is even worse if the person is female, because it gives the impression that I am staring at their breasts. I don't know if I'm just paranoid (probably), or whether walking on grass when no one else is really is a hanging offence (probably not), but I'm always extremely self critical when I ‘fuck up’, it doesn't do much to help the fact that I already hate being out in public anyway.

I like being by myself, sometimes people ask me if I'm lonely, the answer is no. ‘But you’re alone!' they say, as if human contact is vital to my very existence. I like being alone, I don't want you to talk to me, isn't the fact that I am reading and not replying to you enough of a hint? Obviously not for some people. It's got to the point that I actually purposely drive people away, IE: telling them to fuck off, not bathing, being generally obnoxious. There are no people I consider ‘friends’, and I like it that way, other people just get in the way of what I want to do. The internet though. . . that's different, I don't have to actually talk, I can just write something and check back on it later, I don't actually have to speak, I'm just typing words into a box. I don't have to put up with annoying accents or stupid subtle body language or emotions. On the internet, people have to be as obvious as I am in real life.

That's all I wanted to rant about, sorry if you just wasted several minutes of your life reading that.
Alexis at 12:44PM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Meh, I consider it one of those fringe things myself… (not as in your comic though Alexis ^_^). When it comes to “diseases”, “conditions” and “syndromes” I'm conservative and old fashioned. So whether it's mild depression, Asperger's, Dyslexia, various phobias, Autism or whatever; unless it's actually a real negative condition that seriously affects your way of life and that's obviously detrimental to your life quality and the quality of the people's lives around you, then to me your “problem” just doesn't register.

But that's just me :)

And if it is serious like the Schizophrenia that means one of my friends is virtually institutionalised for life, or something like severe manic depression (they call it bi-polar these days but I won't), then you have all my sympathy and support. ^_^

Yeah, that's more or less how I feel. That's why I never went to doctors or anything when my siblings were getting diagnosed. I figure as lond as I can handle my shit and my life is OK I don't need to hear I have a problem.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
Custard Trout at 1:04PM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
Alexis
Yeah, that's more or less how I feel. That's why I never went to doctors or anything when my siblings were getting diagnosed. I figure as long as I can handle my shit and my life is OK I don't need to hear I have a problem.

Yes, but like I said, my problems manifested and it became apparent that without help, I could be almost incapable of functioning in society, I am grateful for the help I received, and even though I don't think it helped in the way it was intended to, it really has made things better.

Plus I can get a shit load of free stuff.
skoolmunkee at 2:02PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
I've been hearing more about Asperger's lately and I can't help but feel ambivalent about it. It seems like it is turning into the next ADHD - people make identifications with the smallest symptoms and decide they now have a ‘condition’. (Or doctors/parents eager to diagnose their kids, etc.) Someone who is inept socially in some ways might have Asperger's, but it's also likely that they just never learned/etc rather than some syndrome making it impossible for them to learn. The same way a kid with a short attention span MAY have ADHD… but more than likely they just have a short attention span. The danger of mis- or over-diagnosis is that whole thing with learned helplessness and denial of responsibility etc.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Custard Trout at 2:18PM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
skoolmunkee
I've been hearing more about Asperger's lately and I can't help but feel ambivalent about it. It seems like it is turning into the next ADHD - people make identifications with the smallest symptoms and decide they now have a ‘condition’. (Or doctors/parents eager to diagnose their kids, etc.) Someone who is inept socially in some ways might have Asperger's, but it's also likely that they just never learned/etc rather than some syndrome making it impossible for them to learn. The same way a kid with a short attention span MAY have ADHD… but more than likely they just have a short attention span. The danger of mis- or over-diagnosis is that whole thing with learned helplessness and denial of responsibility etc.

I know what you mean, it's quite new, so everyone is still interested in it.

But I assure you that my condition is genuine, there's a hell of a lot more to it than social problems, the most obvious is a very logical, mathematical way of thinking and unusual methods of speech (not so evident here, but in real life people have trouble following my train of thought, and I have absolutely no rhythm, I'll be speaking fast one second, then slowly the next). Poor social skills are just that, poor social skills.

The main problem is with the logical mathematical way of thought, it makes me incapable of understanding emotion in other people (but trust me, I feel them), and I cannot read eyes, even when I do make actual eye contact. And therapy, while it has helped, it has not helped in the way it was supposed to, see, had applied the methods suggested to me, communication would be just set responses and sentences, like a robot, I would still not understand what it is to communicate like other people do.

And I hate it when people get upset or angry around me, I have no idea how to deal with it, I always seem to be feeling the wrong emotions for a situation, and often I make things worse, so I tend to just keep my mouth shut and wallow in self pity.
LIZARD_B1TE at 3:09PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
I once went an amateur psychologist craze and diagnosed myself with that and about 20 other mental conditions.

The real psychologist told me that Avoidant Personality Disorder was the only one of those that I was likely to have. I'm also ADD, though it's not a bad case of it.

So no, I don't have Asperger's, I just have a fear of making a social life.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Bimbo_Zombie at 4:41PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
Yay! I'm not alone! I have Aspergers also.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
reconjsh at 5:01PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
So what other symptoms do you guys have? How severe are they? Do you have any that are beneficial?

I'm curious to hear about it. I find it interesting hearing that it has possible “beneficial” symptoms. I have Bipolar II (Hypomanic) which is similar in the sense that it has beneficial symptoms.

Are there medications? Do you take them?

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Custard Trout at 5:35PM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
LIZARD_B1TE
I once went an amateur psychologist craze and diagnosed myself with that and about 20 other mental conditions.

The real psychologist told me that Avoidant Personality Disorder was the only one of those that I was likely to have. I'm also ADD, though it's not a bad case of it.

So no, I don't have Asperger's, I just have a fear of making a social life.

I was actually worried I might be sociopathic for while, but fortunately I am not. What have I learned from that? Don't trust our own judgement, because you are a moron.

Bimbo_Zombie
Yay! I'm not alone! I have Aspergers also.

That makes you the only other person I've ever met who also has it, seriously, everybody who is ‘special’ (apparently that is the politically correct term, I thought were supposed to not offensive?) I meet seems to have autism. . . wankers think they're too good for me (grumble).

reconjsh
So what symptoms do you guys have? How severe are they? Do you have any that are beneficial?

I'm curious to hear about it. I find it interesting hearing that it has possible “beneficial” symptoms. I'm bipolar II hypomanic which is similar in the sense that it has “beneficial” symptoms.

I have the usual ones, along with some unusual sexual orientations (I'd rather not go into that, but when I say ‘unusual’ I do not mean that I like to shag dogs or anything like that). I'm not sure about specific ones, because I've never actually met another person with Asperger's, so I can't really answer that.

As for beneficial? I'm not to sure, there are times when I despise it, and times I actually think I'm pretty lucky. I am good at reading, and have been since a very early age, and my logical interpretations can be both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because they are different, fresh and interesting, a curse because I have almost no academic knowledge and a very low IQ, and people generally do not consider theories on how Chavs are good examples of primate mentality as a sign of intelligence.

I do have a sense of humour though, I love puns, wordplay and rhyme, and a lot of people seem to find the way I talk very amusing (not so evident here, because I'm saying to put this in a way you're more likely to understand), I love writing, mostly short stories, humorous lyrics, and doggerel.

That's about all I can think of, hope it helps answer your questions.
Eviltwinpixie at 5:45PM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
Custard Trout
That makes you the only other person I've ever met who also has it, seriously, everybody who is ‘special’ (apparently that is the politically correct term, I thought were supposed to not offensive?) I meet seems to have autism. . . wankers think they're too good for me (grumble).

We have a few people with Asperger's on the forums where my comic forum is hosted. Three diagnosed people that I know of…

when I say ‘unusual’ I do not mean that I like to shag dogs or anything like that.

We also have a totally different person who really does like that, but he doesn't have Aperger's and is just kinda scary. o_O
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
reconjsh at 5:46PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
FROM WIKIPEDIA: It manifests in individual ways and can have both positive and negative effects on a person.

I took that to mean it had possible beneficial symptoms. Maybe not then? Perhaps I put it through the filter of my own experiences with mental disorder?

I found it amusing that people with this syndrome are called “Aspies” in wikipedia. Not sure why.
LIZARD_B1TE at 6:10PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
reconjsh
FROM WIKIPEDIA: It manifests in individual ways and can have both positive and negative effects on a person.

I took that to mean it had possible beneficial symptoms. Maybe not then? Perhaps I put it through the filter of my own experiences with mental disorder?

Didn't that article say that Einstein and Newton may have had it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
reconjsh at 6:39PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
LIZARD_B1TE
reconjsh

Didn't that article say that Einstein and Newton may have had it?

It said that like .3% of adults with an IQ over 100 meet the diagnosis requirements… or something like that. So, given a population of 300 million+, it's likely that we all know people who meet the criteria.

EDIT: here's the exact #.
Someone
A survey found that 36 per 10,000 adults with an IQ of 100 or above may meet criteria for AS.
suzi at 7:16PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
I don't want to sound mean or cold or like I'm trivializing whatever hardships you guys have, and my dad and people in his family supposedly have Asperger's, but it seems like the majority of instances of Aspergers are the victims of a fad disease used to excuse behaviors of antisocial kids. “Oh, my son's really smart and get obsessed with things and doesn't play with other kids and makes inappropriate remarks. He must have Asperger's omg!!” It's so often used as a device to make kids feel special, take the guilt off the parents for not having put the proper effort into socializing them. Maybe they're just awkward kids! Maybe they're just smart! And even if -doctors- aren't making diagnoses like that, or doing anything wrong, people are still reading this fad books and thinking their kids have it, and then doing nothing to overcome what might just be a tendency to be shy or smart. My boyfriend recently looked through a book on Asperger's and said that when he was between 5-10 or so he fit all the criteria PERFECTLY. And there's nothing of the sort wrong with him. He grew through it, that's all. I can only imagine how he would've turned out if his parents or doctor had labeled him as having Asperger's.

Again, I don't mean to belittle any of you, especially since I think the problem is in kids 10 and under getting labeled like this. Seriously, it seems like every 3rd kid is an Asperger's kid these days. BLEH.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
herio at 8:25PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
help people…….. but i get your pont he denit know me i when i was younger i had porblem with gething a litte obssted with things i had my new gaecube and was attted to sonic and i had short atention splan i said “vea la sonic”i was 12

then i was labled for life and peole talked down to me i hate it i hate it i hate it i can read boody lanwige i hate it i hate it aso much

its mostly i thaink they have a deall with the school one asbereds kid can = to 10 relua kids in funding and free labor to boot it is were i am i when nuts though school
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Custard Trout at 9:01PM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
I didn't reliase I'd get so many replies, sorry, I'll try to reply to then all now.

suzi
I don't want to sound mean or cold or like I'm trivializing whatever hardships you guys have, and my dad and people in his family supposedly have Asperger's, but it seems like the majority of instances of Aspergers are the victims of a fad disease used to excuse behaviors of antisocial kids. “Oh, my son's really smart and get obsessed with things and doesn't play with other kids and makes inappropriate remarks. He must have Asperger's omg!!” It's so often used as a device to make kids feel special, take the guilt off the parents for not having put the proper effort into socializing them. Maybe they're just awkward kids! Maybe they're just smart! And even if -doctors- aren't making diagnoses like that, or doing anything wrong, people are still reading this fad books and thinking their kids have it, and then doing nothing to overcome what might just be a tendency to be shy or smart. My boyfriend recently looked through a book on Asperger's and said that when he was between 5-10 or so he fit all the criteria PERFECTLY. And there's nothing of the sort wrong with him. He grew through it, that's all. I can only imagine how he would've turned out if his parents or doctor had labeled him as having Asperger's.

Again, I don't mean to belittle any of you, especially since I think the problem is in kids 10 and under getting labeled like this. Seriously, it seems like every 3rd kid is an Asperger's kid these days. BLEH.

I assure you mine is genuine, I was diagnosed before it became a ‘fad’.

What people do not understand is the internal struggle, the fear of making a social mistake and the self criticism when I do think I have made is mind blowing, you think artists criticize themselves to harshly? I'm one step away from caning myself.

You have to really get to know someone to fully understand the problem, and it is incredibly hard to get to know someone with aspergers syndrome, no one knows what you are like, deep down. It's kind of depressing, but I generally don't let it get to me.

Hmm, maybe this would be a good example:

The phone rings, and I go to pick it up, my mum tells me to say she's out unless it is her mother or sister, it isn't, so I tell them she's out and put the phone down.

Afterwards, she tells me I should asked who was calling. But she didn't tell me to in the first place, I mention this and she replies that I should do that anyway. Again, no one has (in my recollection) told me this, so how am I supposed to know? She says that she tells to ask who it is all the time, but she never, ever, takes into account my 24 hour memory span.

One thing I really hate though, is that people do not take real sufferers seriously, this is something can have nasty effects on me, and sometimes jokey remarks can make me contemplate suicide. It's serious problem.

herio
help people…….. but i get your pont he denit know me i when i was younger i had porblem with gething a litte obssted with things i had my new gaecube and was attted to sonic and i had short atention splan i said “vea la sonic”i was 12

then i was labled for life and peole talked down to me i hate it i hate it i hate it i can read boody lanwige i hate it i hate it aso much

its mostly i thaink they have a deall with the school one asbereds kid can = to 10 relua kids in funding and free labor to boot it is were i am i when nuts though school

I. . . I'm afraid I did not catch a word of that. . .

reconjsh

I found it amusing that people with this syndrome are called “Aspies” in wikipedia. Not sure why.

Like I said, it can be beneficial depending on the situation and your point of view. I doubt I'd have made my comic the way it is if I didn't have it.

Is that “Aspies” thing true? Should I be offended by that? Cause it seems sort of cool. “Aspie” makes me think of a kind of alien race composed entirely of smoke.

Eviltwinpixie
“Custard Trout” Said:

We have a few people with Asperger's on the forums where my comic forum is hosted. Three diagnosed people that I know of…

QUOTE:

when I say ‘unusual’ I do not mean that I like to shag dogs or anything like that.

We also have a totally different person who really does like that, but he doesn't have Aperger's and is just kinda scary. o_O

I'm actually already a member of your forums, I haven't posted there yet though.

Yeah. . . interesting friend. . .
reconjsh at 9:36PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
Custard Trout
Like I said, it can be beneficial depending on the situation and your point of view. I doubt I'd have made my comic the way it is if I didn't have it.

Is that “Aspies” thing true? Should I be offended by that? Cause it seems sort of cool. “Aspie” makes me think of a kind of alien race composed entirely of smoke.

It did use the term “Aspies” a couple times… and didn't seem to be a derogatory one. The phrase was probably born from people not wanting to say/write “people with Asperger's Syndrome” all the time and “aspie” is quick and rolls of the tongue fast.

It's kind of got a nice ring to it too, I think. I wouldn't dare persume that it was okay to use though… that's for someone else to decide.

Anyways, thanks for being so candid with your aspie-ness. ;) It's nice to learn about something new.
Red Slayer at 9:48PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
Someone
Yeah, it's very similar to autism, there's lot to it though, and I don't understand it completely, so here's a wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
Y'know what i hate about reading medical articles and the such?
That you think you might have whatever they are talking about.
I fit into some of that shit.
Custard Trout at 10:50PM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
reconjsh
It did use the term “Aspies” a couple times… and didn't seem to be a derogatory one. The phrase was probably born from people not wanting to say/write “people with Asperger's Syndrome” all the time and “aspie” is quick and rolls of the tongue fast.

It's kind of got a nice ring to it too, I think. I wouldn't dare persume that it was okay to use though… that's for someone else to decide.

Anyways, thanks for being so candid with your aspie-ness. It's nice to learn about something new.

You're welcome, and don't be afraid to ask if there's anything you don't understand, I'm very hard to offend. Unless you bring up the subject of a certain group of flying purple hamsters who seem intent on stealing my knees. Don't talk about them, they listen.

Someone who forgot to type my name in while quoting me
Y'know what i hate about reading medical articles and the such?
That you think you might have whatever they are talking about.
I fit into some of that shit.

I know what you mean, that's partly why I had the little sociopath scare. It took a while to admit, but nearly everything on there can describe what I'm like.

josif at 4:40AM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
This might be a stupid question but does your Asperger's Syndrome have anything to do with why your comic is all weird, colourful and pulsating?
Also I compleatley understand it now I read all of the very long Wiki page…
Your Reading Skills Have Increased By Two Points.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
skoolmunkee at 5:00AM, March 17, 2007
(online)
herio

]

You REALLY need to try harder to make posts that people can understand. It doesn't take much time to type something up and spell-check it before you post it. I don't want to discourage you from posting on the forums, but no one can understand what you're saying without studying it to figure out what the basic words you're trying to type are, and that makes your posts much more like spam than anything else. It's not much of a contribution if most people can't even make sense of it. In written communication like a forum, having words spelled correctly is pretty important. When every single word in your post is spelled wrong that makes you a not very good poster. Seriously, I do want you to contribute, but I want you to be more careful about your typing too.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Custard Trout at 5:03AM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
josif
This might be a stupid question but does your Asperger's Syndrome have anything to do with why your comic is all weird, colourful and pulsating?
Also I compleatley understand it now I read all of the very long Wiki page…

I like to think that it has given me a chance to see and imagine things others can't, so yeah, it might.
Red Slayer at 10:36AM, March 17, 2007
(online)
It's so bright and colorful.
I wants to click.
Custard Trout at 11:34AM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
Yeeeees, click eeeeeet.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved