Debate and Discussion

Asperger's Syndrome?
Glarg at 12:04PM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
You very own official Drunken Mexican Glarg has Been Diagnosed with Aspergers himself. I have always been told that it was a mental disease that ONLY affects the section of your brain that allows you to mimic people or to socialize and that sort of shit, which is why I started drinking in the first place, Alcohol helps me get social(….amongst other things). But half the time i dont understand what's being said to me….and I forget things easily…..My doctor diagnosed me with A.D.D and Aspergers, and this was when I was little, like somewhere when i was 5-7 years old and couldn't tell reality from fiction and that stuff…..quite possibly I think the doctors were wrong when they diagnosed me with Aspergers…but thanks to that prick I had to graduate high school with an ESE diploma, which is the whole reason I cant find a good college to get into, THEY WONT ACCEPT ESE STUDENTS >
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
Glarg at 12:24PM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
On a side knote, when I was diagnosed with it i started making many jokes about the way it sounded, when I read it off the paper i thought it was suppose to sound like “Ass-burgers” but it was really “Aus-Pergers” .
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
Custard Trout at 2:11PM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
I never really received much help for mine, as a result I failed all my exams. Yay.

I've never really cared that much for social interaction anyway, people are fragile, emotional and weird, I'd rather spend as little time around as possible.

I thought it was pronounced ‘ass-burgers’.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Red Slayer at 2:48PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
lothar at 5:42AM, March 23, 2007
(online)
Custard Trout
Plus I can get a shit load of free stuff.

heh ! funny you should mention that. i think this is the deciding factor for many people in regards to “mental disorders”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
ozoneocean at 11:10AM, March 23, 2007
(online)
Just a note guys. Now this has been moved to D&D, you'll have to take the discussion a little more seriously, no more ass bending avatars now. I'm sure the shiny new debate moderators will set you all straight. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Aurora Moon at 1:20PM, March 23, 2007
(offline)
Custard Trout
The only thing I seriously dislike though, is being patronized, from what I've seen, I'm at least five times more intelligent than the idiots I'm surrounded by most of the time. And being introduced as having ‘special needs’, although I do enjoy the look on their faces when they don't get the drooling retard they were expecting.

This is a common occurrence:

Someone: Hel-lo, my-name-is-

Me: Could you talk faster please? I can't understand a word you're saying.

oh I hear you on that!! it's also the same with deaf people.
to me, deafness isn't that much of an disablity… after all, I still can listen to music if I use my hearing aids, etc.. so there's plenty of things that I can enjoy that hearing people enjoy too. So I'm not really missing out on much like people seem to think I am.
But deafness has an certain sitimga to it, you know? Ever heard the rather degotory term: “Deaf and dumb”?
people out there seems to assume that if somebody lacks the ablity to hear sounds on their own without the aid of hearing aids, then therefore they must be lacking something else in the brains area. :rolls eyes: So there's the whole sterotype of Deaf people being super naive and like children in a way even when they're adults.

in addition to people speaking VERY slowly to me, an annoying occurance is them feeling like they need to speak VERY LOUDLY to me because I'm deaf.

random person: *yells into my ears* “HEY, CAN YOU PLEASE HAND ME THAT THING OVER THERE? THANKS!!!”

Me: “I was wearing my hearing aids, you know. Now my ears is bleeding because I had my hearing aid set to an high volume….. thank you so much for screaming so loudly, damaging my ears competely. Thanks so much!”

it's one of the reasons why I don't wear hearing aids to public places or other places reguarly anymore. Now I only use my hearing aids to listen to music.

people can be so annoying.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
ozoneocean at 1:47PM, March 23, 2007
(online)
Aurora Moon
Ever heard the rather degotory term: “Deaf and dumb”?
That could be understood to mean something derogatory, but what it actually means is someone who both lacks the power to hear and to speak: “dumb” meaning “voiceless”. It apparently used to be popular for royalty in the far distant past to have some special personal servants without the power of speech or hearing so that they wouldn't be a security risk. I think they'd actually deafen the person and cut out their tongue, rather than always look for people with those natural qualities. As a term, “deaf and dumb” can refer to someone or something (like and institution), that will not respond no matter what.

It'd be quite nasty if anyone used it in a derogatory way though.

CorruptComics at 3:09PM, March 23, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
When it comes to “diseases”, “conditions” and “syndromes” I'm conservative and old fashioned. So whether it's mild depression, Asperger's, Dyslexia, various phobias, Autism or whatever; unless it's actually a real negative condition that seriously affects your way of life and that's obviously detrimental to your life quality and the quality of the people's lives around you, then to me your “problem” just doesn't register.

Wow, that was epic on the ignorant scale of stupid.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
ozoneocean at 3:15PM, March 23, 2007
(online)
Perhaps you don't realise that this is a forum for debating and discussing topics. Posts that consist of what basically amounts to name calling and rude comments aren't welcome. Post should really consist of something more than simply the equivalent of “I disagree with you because I think what you say is stupid”.

We do welcome positive contributions here and interesting posts stating differing points of view. Rudeness however is unwelcome ;)

CorruptComics at 3:38PM, March 23, 2007
(offline)
If it were something other than you stating “Well I don't really care if you suffering from a mental illness because I've failed to advance with the rest of modern medicine and society.” I wouldn't have to point out that such a statement is about as backwards thinking as a person can get. Figuring the topic of this thread I'd go so far to say your initial comment was unneeded and far more rude than mine was. Don't come in here, say how you refuse to register this as a problem for someone, then take the moral high ground when someone calls bullshit on you for it.
ozoneocean at 3:48PM, March 23, 2007
(online)
Ozoneocean
just a note guys. Now this has been moved to D&D, you'll have to take the discussion a little more seriously, no more ass bending avatars now. I'm sure the shiny new debate moderators will set you all straight.
This topic was not in the debate forum then. :)

It's perfectly ok to question the legitimacy of a “problem”, this isn't rude, just intelligent. If you read more of the responses, you'll see that a lot of people agree with me and Custard Trout uses these sceptical posts to respond and explain his condition in more detail.

lothar at 3:59PM, March 23, 2007
(online)
Corrupt C - i for one Agree with what Ozone was saying .
having experienced similar “syptoms” as described by the original poster, and been through various parts of the “mental health” establishment; i can say that a lot of the time people are told by doctors that they are suffering from an illness when in fact they are quite normal human beings. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe society has the problem and not the other way around? It seems to me that in the passed 15 years or so a whole lot of “new” syndromes and such things have cropped up that can easily be explained as an individuals inability to be accepted by society and not something wrong with their brain! It has been my experience that the lower down on the social ladder you are the more pronounced these “syptoms” become. I think if a lot of people( i'm not saying ALL) who suffer from these problems would find that if they were just given the chance to succeed in this world and have a decent quality of life that a lot (maybe not all) of the syptoms would subside. labeling people with some psuedo-scientific “new disease” smacks of a “Brave New World” type of situation where people are simply doped with chemicals rather than attack the root of the problem !

* and Yes, i Have read BNW !!!!
CorruptComics at 4:00PM, March 23, 2007
(offline)
Praise be loopholes and majority support.
Aurora Moon at 4:08PM, March 23, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Aurora Moon
Ever heard the rather derogatory term: “Deaf and dumb”?
That could be understood to mean something derogatory, but what it actually means is someone who both lacks the power to hear and to speak: “dumb” meaning “voiceless”. It apparently used to be popular for royalty in the far distant past to have some special personal servants without the power of speech or hearing so that they wouldn't be a security risk. I think they'd actually deafen the person and cut out their tongue, rather than always look for people with those natural qualities. As a term, “deaf and dumb” can refer to someone or something (like and institution), that will not respond no matter what.

It'd be quite nasty if anyone used it in a derogatory way though.

actually it's evolved to another whole level. I am aware about the origin of the term though.

Basically the people in USA use that term to mean an person who's not only deaf, but lacking brains… often used as an insult to deaf people.
“Hahaha! That deaf person's so stupid. TALK ABOUT DEAF AND DUMB!”

There's a fair bit of discrimination going on against some deaf people on both the conscious and the subconscious level too, which adds to the whole stigmata.

Take the whole stereotypes of deafness out there that you can think about. as I mentioned above there's one of the stereotypes where deaf people are like seen as somewhat naive and like an child. more specifically like a child that needs to be assisted, watched after, etc.. so that they don't get into trouble, etc.
So there's tons of employers with plenty of open jobs who would be reluctant to hire an deaf person and would prefer hiring an hearing person over an deaf person for that very reason. they'd read the resume of an deaf person and think: “Wow~! this sounds like a very capable person, sounds very qualificed…” but when they get to the part they learn that the capable person in question is deaf..
then all of a sudden it's like they're thinking: “OMG!! DEAF!? Geee… I don't know if this person can do the job after all. How would I be able to interact with the person? what if the person has problems working with other employers?? etc, etc, etc..(listing all the reasons not to hire an deaf person)…”
they would think this way, even though the deaf person in question was able to lip read, can speak well, and doesn't rely on sign language all the time.

And then take parents. once they learn that their children or one of their children is deaf, they right away rush them to doctors, hospitals looking for an “cure to deafness” like it was some kind of defect or illness when in my opinion, it is NOT. Most of the time, it's just something people are born with, just like how people are born with different skin colors and eye colors.
they send years trying to make their children be more “Normal”.. which can create tension between parent and child as the child tries to be what the parents wanted the child to be.
also the parents may have an strong tendency to shelter their deaf children from many aspects of the world that they would normally never think of doing with an hearing child… which is something I see a lot of in the deaf community. In the long run, this only hurts the deaf people as they become adults. As adults they are unfamiliar with many complex social interactions, etc…. and can be seen as acting immature, etc..
which leads to the people repeating that whole “deaf stereotype” as “fact”.

leading a lot of hearing people who are completely unfamiliar with the deaf people to see most deaf people as those ignorant, simple-minded people who happens to have a “hearing defect”.
So hence… “Deaf and Dumb” has become rather derogatory in that sense.

AC! sorry for the long rant…

I didn't mean to hijack this thread. ^^;;
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
ozoneocean at 4:35PM, March 23, 2007
(online)
That's true enough Aurora! :)
Deafness is a real issue, and people who live with the condition are going to feel quite differently from those who don't, very much like blindess. If you've ever read “Day of the Triffids” John Wyndam's apparent attitude toward the blinded populace in the story is very much like what you describe with deafness. Some blinded people in the story simply kill themselves because they feel that life is not worth living if they can't see. And throughout the book the blinded are thought of as almost useless in a lot of ways. It's a GREAT story, but that wasn't a nice aspect of it.

Conditions like deafness or blindness really do mean a different way of life in some ways, but not in a negative way, just different.

subcultured at 6:52PM, March 23, 2007
(online)
perspective is relative, just because some people can cope doesn't mean everyone can.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
ozoneocean at 7:03PM, March 23, 2007
(online)
It's relative all right, but I'd argue that most people can cope and adapt when faced with most troubles and trials and it's usually always just a few who cannot. So portraying people who have some kind of condition as “sufferers” is popular, but also often incorrect.

But that depends on the condition doesn't it? ;)
To that end:
You “suffer” from dyslexia, colour-blindness, penile dysfunction? Well don't worry, you'll get over it. Those things are annoying, but we can't all be perfect can we, you'll adapt. Now get on with your life.

Aurora Moon at 7:07PM, March 23, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
perspective is relative, just because some people can cope doesn't mean everyone can.

that's true.

although… sometimes I get the feeling that it's only other people that makes it diffcult for the people with the so-called “disablity”…
because otherwise it wouldn't be seen as an big deal, the people who just simply didn't have the ablity to hear sounds/or have an type of sydrome wouldn't feel like they were abnormal in some way, etc….. they don't have problems in life otherwise. if it wasn't for the people out there in the world making the people with the supposed disablity/sydrome feeling that way, they would feel normal.. fuction like anybody… go to work, eat, sleep just like everyone without even second-guessing themselves.

Sometimes, it's the world that makes it an problem when it doesn't have to be.
CorruptComics at 4:32AM, March 24, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
You “suffer” from dyslexia, colour-blindness, penile dysfunction? Well don't worry, you'll get over it. Those things are annoying, but we can't all be perfect can we, you'll adapt. Now get on with your life.

You have Autism? Get over it.
You have Bipolar Disorder? Get over it.
You have Cyclothymic Disorder? Get over it.
You have Dysthymic Disorder? Get over it.
You have Narcolepsy? Get over it.
You have OCD? Get over it.
You have Schizophrenia? Get over it.
You have Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome? Get over it.

I have a better idea. Educate yourself about mental disorders and stop talking big about problems you literally can not even comprehend. The reason these problems exist is, for whatever reason, their own mental capacity CAN NOT deal with it. I am curious to see your doctorate degree in physiology to qualify you to state that most people can cope with these problems.

Sure it's easy enough to say deal with it. You obviously can deal with it. So then should most other people also be able to deal with it. After all, a personal who deals with a mental disorder is really just lazy when it comes to acting normal.
ozoneocean at 5:10AM, March 24, 2007
(online)
What?

Don't you understand how dyslexia, colour-blindness, and penile dysfunction are different from the things you mention? Completely and totally! lol!

That's like treating a grazed knee the same as cancer. That's insane! Just mad… Who would literally try and compare these things, especially at the extreme manifestations? Wow… Just wow. Yeah well, next time I cut my finger I'm going to have my entire arm amputated because you never know, a cut finger may as well be the same as inoperable gangrene. ;)

CorruptComics at 5:29AM, March 24, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
So whether it's mild depression, Asperger's, Dyslexia, various phobias, Autism or whatever; unless it's actually a real negative condition that seriously affects your way of life and that's obviously detrimental to your life quality and the quality of the people's lives around you, then to me your “problem” just doesn't register.
lothar at 5:35AM, March 24, 2007
(online)
i have an Even Better idea corrupt C ! Educate yourself about the mental “health” establishment and the pharmacuetical companies. No big mystery that a lot of these “disorders” happened to apear and be popularized to coincide with the advent of their “cure”
it's PROPAGANDA pure and simple, many of these “sick” people are not victims of OCD or ADD or BD or whatever, they are victims of add campaigns !!!
ozoneocean at 5:40AM, March 24, 2007
(online)
Corruptcomics:
unless it's actually a real negative condition that seriously affects your way of life and that's obviously detrimental to your life quality and the quality of the people's lives around you,
Hmm?

And of course Autism like depression has various “flavours”, which is what I was implying. On the bad scale these are serious for the reasons above, on the mild scale they're just names. None of us are perfect, we all have our crosses to bare.

Anyway, understand this however you like, I'm not going to argue with you. All I ask is that you stay civil when making points in the D&D section and refrain from personal attacks, ok?

That's my last word. I withdraw from the discussion :)

P.S. Listen to Lothar, he's got the right idea.

Aurora Moon at 5:51AM, March 24, 2007
(offline)
CorruptComics
ozoneocean
So whether it's mild depression, Asperger's, Dyslexia, various phobias, Autism or whatever; unless it's actually a real negative condition that seriously affects your way of life and that's obviously detrimental to your life quality and the quality of the people's lives around you, then to me your “problem” just doesn't register.

Well, I can actually see where he's coming from.

people with Dyslexia can fuction just fine in society. They may have a hard time reading or spelling/writing words correctly… but other than that.. they can get a job, do it well, live on thier own just fine….
they can eat on thier own, they can drive an car, they can have families and all that jazz…. they're pretty much like everyone else. They just have the disavatage of not being able to read or write as well. What, you think that alone makes their lives SSOOOO diffcult that they're unable to lead an normal life? pffft.

I know people with Dyslexia, they live an normal life just fine. reading and writing isn't everything… they can understand posters, signs, and so on forth just fine.. they can read most words. So how is Dyslexia an exemtely disabling disorder?

I can say the same for people with phobias and mild Autism, as I've met my share of them too. some autistic children and adults are opposed to attempts to cure autism. These people see autism as part of who they are, and in some cases they perceive treatments and attempts of a cure to be unethical.
pretty much how I oppose to my deafness being seen as some kind of sereve condition that needs to be treated. My deafness is a part of who I am, it's just how I am… to try to change that is like trying to change who I am. I LIKE being deaf… I like the avatange I have over hearing people, the fact that I can shut out sound any time I want with the simple act of just taking out my hearing aids. Hearing people HAVE to live with all sound, even the annoying loud ones… which earns them my pity as seeing they don't have a choice. Yet they dare to imply that I'm the one who's “defective”? It's just disgusting.

it's really all a point of view… a matter of perspective.
nighthawk41 at 7:24AM, March 24, 2007
(online)
Custard Trout
I didn't go to any doctors, they came to me. I hated all the special treatment and patronizing manner people adopted when I was around, so I usually try to hide it and think of other excuses as to why I seem to be a cold, emotionless husk most of the time.

It's the same with me. I hate it when people treat me in a different way from everyone else just because they know there is something wrong with me.
I'm starting to get over it now, but I still occasionally say stupid things and I haven't had the balls to ask a girl out in a while.
I found out I had Asperger in Middle school. About 3 months after I found out, I found a tape recorded by my mom that she didn't want me to hear because she thought I might be offended or something. So I listened to it, and I was a little shocked at first, but then after listening to it I began taking control of my disorder.
It's one of the few syndromes that could probably be cured with self control.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/nighthawk41/BodomBeachTerrorsig.png Edited by Admin.
Please make your sig either 250 x 100 or 468 x 60 pixels. Thankyou.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
CorruptComics at 1:39PM, March 24, 2007
(offline)
lothar
i have an Even Better idea corrupt C ! Educate yourself about the mental “health” establishment and the pharmacuetical companies. No big mystery that a lot of these “disorders” happened to apear and be popularized to coincide with the advent of their “cure”
it's PROPAGANDA pure and simple, many of these “sick” people are not victims of OCD or ADD or BD or whatever, they are victims of add campaigns !!!

Is every damn thing a conspiracy with you? I can't take you seriously because every time you open your mouth, all I hear are the crazed ramblings of seemingly high school level knowledge of the real world. I don't really give a damn if a hypochondriac is swayed by some pretty little page of drug information he found in his latest Newsweek into thinking he all of a sudden has something wrong with him.

You can not logically state that because pharmaceuticals companies make money off disease, that disease does not exist.
Vagabond at 6:41PM, March 24, 2007
(online)
Do you maybe think that the reason that these disorders are creeping up is that instead of “pharmaceuticals finding the cure,” it's more a matter of a we've finally found the best way to fuck over our kids “in the name of helping them” situation? And that's not even factoring in the fact that we're finally starting to understand what chemicals and hormonal levels in the brain can do to someone…

A great way to make sure a kid gets OCD or ADD is to constantly supervise him in an environment where he's always learning in a scholarly manner. As in, not getting to aimlessly play outside/in groups… or in completely blunt terms: not giving the kids a childhood.

I think the best way to think of the milder conditions (which would exclude depression and schitzophrenia most definitely) in physical terms is… picture yourself missing a finger. Now, you're still a human being with basic needs and desires. You're still someone who can have a function in society. And you're still a person that can complete objectives. But you're gonna have to find a way to work with your disability. There's going to be things that you'll need to learn how to do differently, but that doesn't for a second mean that you can't do them. And that also doesn't mean that you can belittle a condition as, “well, everyone's got problems so get over it.” That's completely ignorant and ridiculous on anyone's part to say.

I'm sorry, I didn't particularly want to get involved in this, but I don't enjoy being told that the degree I'm getting to do the job I want to do to help people will actually just make me a small cog of the “mental health conspiracy” machine.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Mistchiff at 7:14PM, March 24, 2007
(online)
wow i thought this was pretty freakin random thread in a comic forum.

somehow it fits right in, haha =D
well anyhow i have asperger aswell Just for the matter of fact.
i got a hold of the information about 2 years.. or no 1..

anyways it doesent matter i still dont understand much of it.

But as ive come to notice in my own way of being is that i get lost in thoughts That are none thoughts empty headed at times.

But also what i notice is that This kind of autism way can be applied to any person anyday.

And ive been a Cold little fucker when i was younger when this was harder for me socialising and the stuff.

BUt today i love it or atleast when i feel like talking.
someone said in a post on the first part of the thread.
(parents not putting proper effort into socializing them)(kids)

and this probebly as true as it can get my dad Had me into very sticky situations alot of times in my life emberassing as i dident know how to handle them i got a shitty reputation casue of all the ways i handled the situtations.

but today im happy that i actually made an ass of my self im smarter then most people id ever encounter on any street in any country on a social level that is and empathetic relation.

casue what i beileve aspergers have that NTs dont is the a way to Submerge information into obsession whiles NTs store alittle of everything and just goes on.

ive tried to apply this to my own life The NT way since ive always encountered such people.

and learned from them their patterns and Empatisis towards people in general im not the AWESOMEst sometimes i fuck up but i mean what the hell im awesome at not giving a shit!

ps. I sucked at school aswell and i don't have a propper education.

Ps2. also seeing things negatively towards nts is complete idiocy aspergers arent idiots they think in Patterns unbeknownst to NTs wired differentley we arent necessarely more intelligent and not less intelligent but we are basicley just routed differently.

ps3. what aspergers does tho is to think that the world is closing in on you and sometimes it does but thats a thing all people feel thats what ive come to learn it just strikes us harder i dont really know lol.. maybe im just glowing the glory stick over it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
lothar at 8:17PM, March 24, 2007
(online)
CorruptComics
You can not logically state that because pharmaceuticals companies make money off disease, that disease does not exist.
Yes, i can !
ADD - does not exist
OCD - does not exist
Bipolar disorder - does not exist
aspergers syndrome - does not exist

this is what scares the hell out of me when i hear people talk about these “diseases” ; modern mental science is trying to dope everyone into being the same !!! they are targeting the most vulnerable segment of the population- CHILDREN and telling them they are SICK just because they are different ! this is wrong.

i have been through this myself. i have been diagnosed and doped. i have been on anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. And i experience most of these “symptoms” of Aspergers on a daily basis. it's not an illness. it's called “being HUMAN” . perhaps you have trouble socializing , or you are a little eccentric , or just slightly more intelligent and lack the patience to deal with stupid people , but you are not Sick !!!

my advice -
Get over it !

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved