Debate and Discussion

Aspies in the house?
Faliat at 9:22PM, Oct. 10, 2008
(online)
Hokai!

For those that don't know what I'm on about, check the Wikipedia link:
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
This is the simple English version. Because not everybody has the patience or vocab to go through the massive regular English article and related articles that are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

I've been thinking about this for a while. And I figured since I was on a roll with difficulties I've had in life, I'd better get this thread up for others to see.

I was diagnosed with A.S a month before my 15th birthday. A little bit later than most others diagnosed (Most are generally confirmed at primary/elementary school age.) Shortly before I joined DD for the first time.

There's probably a lot of members on here that have it and don't know it. Or have been confronted with the possibility of it and immediately dismissed it.

I don't really blame them. Not a lot of people know about it. And when you usually tell people, one mention of “syndrome” and they think you're mentally incapable.

Anyway, I was figuring this thread could be about those that want to discuss this VERY often misunderstood and fairly but not too common disorder/disability/difference/whatever, or are curious to see what it's about.

Maybe this'll somehow inform carers, friends or relatives and maybe help someone like I used to be at least understand why they're different and that it's not exactly a bad thing? I dunno. But hell. I'm trying as best I can to avoid a repeat of my own hellish diagnosis progression.

BTW, sorry, but internet diagnosis doesn't count. Jumping in claiming you have it without going through the proper channels I personally take as an insult due to the many months of intensive testing my dad and I had to go through to get results.

Saying you THINK you have A.S because you saw a couple articles on the net, did research and/or took a test is okay. But anything more than that and I'll get stern with you, okay?

GO!

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
KingRidley at 10:50PM, Oct. 10, 2008
(offline)
Okay before I click those links let me see if I have any clue what this condition is:

It's essentially the ‘awkward’ syndrome, making social interactions uncomfortable and very difficult to handle. But not because of confidence or social skills, but because they have some kind of unconscious fear of interacting with others.

Did I get it, or did I butcher that?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
lothar at 11:03PM, Oct. 10, 2008
(online)
uhhh . im having a weird sense of deja-vu here, didnt we discuss this a long time ago ?
ok ,i read the wiki article on it and , im not trying to be an ass but, how does this qualify as a “syndrome” or “disorder” as the wiki calls it?
a lot of the symptoms are just normal stuff that everybody has to some degree.

wiki
People with Asperger Syndrome:
* may be sensitive to touch or loud noise
* may be clumsy when walking and/or playing sports
* may have trouble understanding other people's emotions.
* may have trouble recognizing facial expressions.
* may have trouble understanding when someone is joking or using language that is not accurate in meaning.
* may often have a loud voice, a very quiet voice or a voice that does not express emotion (a “monotonous” voice)
* often do not like changes in school, work, and home life routines
* may learn to speak very early or very late
* often learn to read very early or very late
* may have trouble making friends
* are often bullied in school
* as children, might look shorter and younger than the average for their age
* often have extremely good memory
* often have a strong interest or hobby such as a computer game, sport statistics, or a TV show
none of this sounds all too strange to me
wiki
People with Asperger Syndrome often may

* have difficulty reading the sound of people's voices.
* get confused if a person's body language and words don't say the same thing.
* try to do exactly what someone else's words say. So if someone says “Grab your partner for the next dance”, then they will really grab a dancer, instead of understanding that the sentence means, “Ask someone politely to dance with you.”
* not know that another person is upset or annoyed, until the other person shows it clearly.
* not understand that when someone frowns at them it means “You are saying or doing the wrong thing and you should stop now!”.
* not know if a person is joking. They have difficulty understanding irony, sarcasm, and slang.
* not understand the interests of other people or why other people do the things that they do.
* like doing or saying the same thing over and over again. Other people find this annoying.
* feel lonely and unwanted.
some of these are a little more problematic, but its nothing i haven't experienced myself or observed in almost everyone around me

wiki
Asperger Syndrome is sometimes called “other planet” syndrome because people with Asperger Syndrome often feel that they are quite normal but are living in a world full of aliens.
this , actualy , i can relate to quite well , but i dont think theres anything wrong with me because of that, it is actually a very common feeling from what i understand
wiki
People with Asperger Syndrome often may

* like to act in a way that is sensible.
* have ability to see and remember the details of things that other people miss.
* be very good at remembering rules, laws, systems and important facts. This talent is useful in many types of work.
* be better at writing than at talking to people, because they are careful to choose words that mean exactly what they want to say.
* do well at math and computer programming.
* have a special interest that they become expert in.
* enjoy doing the same thing many times over, which most people find boring. Many people with Asperger Syndrome are good at practising scales on the piano, at adding up long sums, and at searching through books and papers to find information and mistakes.
that first one realy got me , now being sensible is a disorder?
sorry i'm just having trouble seeing where the problem is
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
ozoneocean at 12:30AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
We talked about it in General Discussion and most of us came to the conclusion that is wasn't a real problem. Really, look at the symptoms, they're so inclusive, most people will have some or all of them. A lot of “syndromes” and “Disorders” around these days are just people putting names on social tendencies. And a lot of them have proved far more harmful in the treatment and recognition, like ADD. We were better off before people decided that was a real issues.

So I say, be as sceptical of Aspergers as you should be of the health supplement industry. Lots of pseudo-science here. ;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Aurora Moon at 2:21AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(offline)
I do actually believe that it's a real syndrome. However, like everything else it has it own degrees of Mild to exemete. The mild type is easily manageable without treatment or whatever to the point that they can be easily considered “Normal” and without any “syndrome”. in fact, 20% of children with the mild form of this syndrome can “grow out of it” once they start learning more about proper social behaviors.
that leaves the rest who becomes adults who still fail to meet society's expectations.

However, the exemete type of syndrome is where the real issue is at. It doesn't sound like such a huge deal on paper when describing some of the problems, but in person you can easily notice how much of a problem it actually is.

I have an friend who has this syndrome. And quite sadly, he's one of the exemete cases.

What those lists doesn't tell you is that one of the problems with aspshers is the LACK OF EMPATHY concerning people's situations, etc. So for instance say a friend's grandmother died or something, then the person in question may not even realize that the person is feeling horrible about it despite the fact that it was supposed to be obvious. So by acting like the situation was nothing to them, they might even make the situation worse for the grieving friend.
example: The said friend is just massively depressed, doesn't feel like doing anything and wants to cancel any outings. Guy who has the syndrome comes over despite hearing that somebody died in the family. This guy is smiling, etc… asking him when he's going to hang out already instead of shutting himself into the house. may even go far as to pester him to keep his previous plans, not noticing that this friend is clearly not in the mood to do so. This might cause the friend to get deeply angry with the guy for not understanding at all.

That's just one of the many examples that an “aspie” could get into trouble for. In fact, my friend is actually an male adult, who used to be married. However his own wife filed for divorce thanks to his “lack of empathy”. And before he was married, apparently he had a lot of relationship problems because of that fact. You basically had to explain to him clearly about why people were upset, etc… so that he would had to act proper in that type of situation.

Hell, as his friend alone it can get REALLY ANNOYING sometimes too.

Unlike those with autism, people with AS are not usually withdrawn around others; they approach others, even if awkwardly, for example by engaging in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic while being oblivious to the listener's feelings or reactions, such as signs of boredom or haste to leave.
The funny thing is, That was how I actually met my friend. I was basically an compete stranger, but he apparently decided that I looked interesting enough to talk to. So he randomly came up to me and started rambling about stuff.
This actually took me off guard, and he resclmed somebody else so I actually wondered if he was somebody I knew from a while ago and just forgot. So I kept up with the conversation, hoping that his name would just come back to me. Eventually it wound down to this: “Sorry, but do I know you? Like what's your name?” ^^;;
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
ozoneocean at 2:29AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
I don't know Aurora. It sounds just like a clinical description for “dork” :)

Aurora Moon at 2:40AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(offline)
the other thing was this:
Adolescents with AS may exhibit ongoing difficulty with self-care, organization and disturbances in social and romantic relationships; despite high cognitive potential, most remain at home, although some do marry and work independently. The “different-ness” adolescents experience can be traumatic. Anxiety may stem from preoccupation over possible violations of routines and rituals, from being placed in a situation without a clear schedule or expectations, or from concern with failing in social encounters; the resulting stress may manifest as inattention, withdrawal, reliance on obsessions, hyperactivity, or aggressive or oppositional behavior. Depression is often the result of chronic frustration from repeated failure to engage others socially, and mood disorders requiring treatment may develop.

Education of families is critical in developing strategies for understanding strengths and weaknesses; helping the family to cope improves outcome in children. Prognosis may be improved by diagnosis at a younger age that allows for early interventions, while interventions in adulthood are valuable but less beneficial. There are legal implications for individuals with AS as they run the risk of exploitation by others and may be unable to comprehend the societal implications of their actions.

Right now it seems my friend is going though massive depression and also have the occisonal fits of rage because of the fact that he loses friends and such thanks to his lack of understanding in situations. He's become so fixated on the dircovce itself to the point of obession, mainly because he didn't understand what went wrong. His wife married him knowing that he had this societal disorder (that's what I think of it), yet had expections of him that he couldn't follow up to. couldn't read facial expressions at all, and thus couldn't tell when his wife was uspet, etc…
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
Faliat at 3:23AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
Aurora:
From an outsider perspective it does seem like aspies lack empathy. But it's actually not true. It's lack of expressing and understanding empathy. You know you've to feel something and you know you feel something, but you just don't know what.

Another issue that I personally get really upset regarding how irritating it is, is when I'm in a situation where I'm being shouted at and I'm smiling because I don't know what else to do. Sometimes when babies are crying I just burst out laughing. I know it's wrong. And I feel guilty for it, but I can't help it. In my head I'm horrified but to an outsider I'm expressing joy at a baby's discomfort. This could get people really riled up. And if not them, then I'll already be there and start getting really angry. And because of how I express that, people think I'm angry at the baby for crying. I just keep digging myself a bigger and bigger hole and I can't stop until the baby stops crying or is taken away.

I'd also like to explain the difficulties with eye contact. My own personal problems regarding it is that, sometimes when I look people in the eyes it causes me actual physical pain. I developed some kind of coping mechanism when I look at people's nose bridges or eyebrows. Usually because of my sensitivity to bright light I wear tinted glasses or shades so they can't always tell that I'm looking at them anyway.

THing is, there's most people with A.S, and those with a stereotyical appearance of A.S. These “Dorks”.

Can't say I haven't met a few of ‘em, but then I’ve met people with it that don't look that way. You could easily think they were just a regular person in the street up until they start talking to you and expressing between slightly and extremely unusual body language and rambling on about something they're passionate about, whether it's medieval history, the entire filmmaking career of Stanley Kubrick, skateboarding, steelworks, guns, comedy sketch shows, spiders, guitars, Disney Movies… The list goes on.

Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
lothar at 3:33AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
sounds like an excuse to act like a jerk and expect others to just deal with it.

im curious , what are the treatments for this disorder?
Aurora Moon at 3:59AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(offline)
I really do sypathmize with you.

my mom even wondered if I had this disorder when I was younger, because I reacted to things in an similar way when I was younger.

you see, to me crying and such in stressful or painful situation only seemed to make things worse. especially if it was the full, body shaking sobbing kind…that always wound up making my asthma at the time worse, to the point where it was actually PAINFUL to breath normally. the other pain I would get was this feeling like my heart was being squeezed, hard. it would actually feel like an heart attack, even if I was VERY young to actually have one. however if I calmed down quickly as I could, then it would pass, leaving only this throbbing pain.
feeling really angry tended to make me feel equally as lousy, although not quite in the same way.

so unlike other people, I couldn't just cry it out or whatever. there's times I can, but for the most part it's just not good for my health. this is why I rarely cry.

So I found the way to deal with pain and stress was to just laugh, or at least try to smile if I wasn't up to laughing. it lightened up the burden for me, so to speak. However, in some situations some people would misinterpret this, and then even become more angry with me if they felt that it was very inapproate for me to laugh/smile in certain situations. like at my grandmother's funeral, where one distant relative who didn't really know me well commented that I had to be some kind of psycho to be smiling and laughing like the death of my grandmother didn't affect me at all. this of course ends up making me feel even more worse. :\

However, I don't have this Syndrome. Just a person who deals with pain differently than others. I can read facial and body expressions very well, and never had any social difficulities besides hearing people being unable to get over the fact that I'm deaf.

But it's very hard to explain that sort of thing, isn't it?
Aurora Moon at 4:09AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(offline)
lothar
sounds like an excuse to act like a jerk and expect others to just deal with it.

im curious , what are the treatments for this disorder?

I believe wiki covered that, lothar.

But mainly it just involves therapy and educating the family members/friends along with the the person who has it. the earlier it's detected the more it's better because then it's easier for the family to be able to educate and socialize their kids better so that they don't have any social awkwardness and therefore less traumatic, emotional problems.

sometimes pills and such are used, although it's usually viewed as an bad idea because misdiagnosing can actually make the behavior problems worse. Even make the people with this syndrome more violent, etc.

if an “aspie” is known to have emotional problems, such as violent mood swings, obsessive behavior and is in his/her teens then medication is generally only an last resort.

At least that was my expernices and obversations from having an aspie friend.
lothar at 4:52AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
hmm sounds like me when i was younger . i'm seriously glad i Didn't get diagnosed. because like many other asshole teenagers , i grew up and grew out of it. i know people who realy do have mental problems and stuff like this just doesn't even compare. aspergers , from what ive read sounds kinda like the borderline anti social disorder described in the book “girl interupted” starring whats her name from the 90s. anyway i think there is something inherently wrong in labeling things like this a Disorder or whatever they are calling it . in many cases diagnoses and “treatment” are worse than doing nothing. do we realy want to live in a world where every personality quark is made into a problem that needs fixing. the reality is that some people don't make friends easy , some people lack empathy for others , some people are introverts . but those messed up individuals often go on to become great writers artists musicians scientists whatever ! i shutter to think what our world will be like for future generations if this trend to normalize society continues.
anyway , im not trying to attack anybody who thinks they have this syndrome, but this was posted in the debate forum , so im gunna go ahead and say it looks like a sort of made up problem that could prolly be cured by a few beers .
Puff_Of_Smoke at 6:54AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(offline)
Y'know, I think this would be better off in general discussion, but I'll go along with it. First off, Hello, fellow Aspie!

Myself, I do have a lack of empathy, but I try to feel for a friend if he's/she's feeling sad about something. A couple weeks ago my friend's Father died. I did my best to comfort him. But really, it's as Faliat says, It's more of a lack of understanding/expressing empathy.

I'm extreme in the whole repetitive tasks business. I have the same schedule everyday. I hated elementary school and middle school because of it's uh… notrepetitiveness. I get irritated when someone bugs me when I'm trying to work and someone bugs about the fact that I don't talk at all unless spoken to by a teacher or adult. Is that EVER annoying… but, sadly, I get people all the time who call me an asshole or ‘that fucking red head’ to quote what one person said, for not answering when they talked to me.

According to ‘tests’ I'm apperently smarter than the norm, but I honestly think it's just that the human race is becoming dumber what with the trash they put on tv and in music.

Overall, it keeps me busy.

lothar
im gunna go ahead and say it looks like a sort of made up problem that could prolly be cured by a few beers .

Made up? I can see why you might think that because since you don't have it, you don't know what it's like. But, seriously, you can't talk to people like the non-aspie community can. It's just extremely hard. You'd be deemed ‘rude’ because of that. Most Aspies are smarter than the usual though…

Now, to address your beers theory, No. I would NEVER become an alchoholic for that reason. NEVER.

lothar
but this was posted in the debate forum
Probably because he thought the general forum wasn't for this kind of topic. It was likely put here because it's a deeper than usual subject, therefore, goes here because we discuss such things here.

Faliat
Another issue that I personally get really upset regarding how irritating it is, is when I'm in a situation where I'm being shouted at and I'm smiling because I don't know what else to do. Sometimes when babies are crying I just burst out laughing. I know it's wrong. And I feel guilty for it, but I can't help it. In my head I'm horrified but to an outsider I'm expressing joy at a baby's discomfort. This could get people really riled up. And if not them, then I'll already be there and start getting really angry. And because of how I express that, people think I'm angry at the baby for crying. I just keep digging myself a bigger and bigger hole and I can't stop until the baby stops crying or is taken away.
I know it's probably just AS but, wow, do we ever have a lot in common.
KingRidley
Okay before I click those links let me see if I have any clue what this condition is:

It's essentially the ‘awkward’ syndrome, making social interactions uncomfortable and very difficult to handle. But not because of confidence or social skills, but because they have some kind of unconscious fear of interacting with others.

Did I get it, or did I butcher that?
Way off.
Aurora Moon
Unlike those with autism, people with AS are not usually withdrawn around others; they approach others, even if awkwardly, for example by engaging in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic while being oblivious to the listener's feelings or reactions, such as signs of boredom or haste to leave.
The funny thing is, That was how I actually met my friend. I was basically an compete stranger, but he apparently decided that I looked interesting enough to talk to. So he randomly came up to me and started rambling about stuff.
You know what's sad? I've given up rambling to strangers.
——————-
Lotsa quotes…
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
ozoneocean at 7:40AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
If they were so smart they wouldn't have a problem. :P

I mean, for one thing it's pretty damn easy to ACT like you sympathise with someone even if you don't. And what do you mean you can't work out how to feel and react in certain situations. If you're smart, you can work that out very easily: Baby cries = baby upset = try and work out with my enormous brain why baby is upset.
Can't work out why = idiot. lol!

I'm with Lothar; get a couple of beers in you and relax, forget about the “syndrome” you're supposed to have and calm down. :)
You'll find life so much easier if you just let go of your mental conditioning.

—–
Funny how all the criticism and evidence AGAINST AS has been removed from the wiki article. Not surprising really though.

KingRidley at 7:54AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
And a lot of them have proved far more harmful in the treatment and recognition, like ADD.

Hey woah woah, I have one of those real cases of ADD. It's nothing really really extreme, but it saps my motivation to start or even finish most tasks, if I remember to do them at all. In classrooms boredom can become almost painful, weighing down on my like a physical weight. I've been normal bored before, this boredom is very different.

For a while I felt like I didn't have it, or that I grew out of it. But I didn't have anything all that important to handle, so there were rarely any problems. But in college I've noticed that it never went away, and that this is not a place where managing it on my own is safely feasible. The other day I took some medicine for it, and the impact was huge. I could think about doing a task, and I actually managed to get around to starting and finishing alot of my work. ADD is definitely an overused syndrome, but it is real every now and then.

lothar

No, they can't help but act like a jerk. I guess I'd compare it sort of to n arm that is twitching, or the hiccups. You know that they both are happening, but you can't actually stop them from happening. The hiccups will interrupt your speech, and the twitching will make your arm hard to use. I figure AS must be something like that.

lothar
so im gunna go ahead and say it looks like a sort of made up problem that could prolly be cured by a few beers .

I'm gonna go ahead and say that looks like a bad idea. Again, even if the syndrome is blamed more often than it should be, there are always some people who really have it.
Puff_Of_Smoke at 8:05AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(offline)
KingRidley
lothar

No, they can't help but act like a jerk. I guess I'd compare it sort of to n arm that is twitching, or the hiccups. You know that they both are happening, but you can't actually stop them from happening. The hiccups will interrupt your speech, and the twitching will make your arm hard to use. I figure AS must be something like that.
Act like a jerk? We're not insulting your Momma or swearing like no tomorrow!

We just think differently and socialising just isn't one of our strong suits.
ozoneocean
If they were so smart they wouldn't have a problem. :P

I mean, for one thing it's pretty damn easy to ACT like you sympathise with someone even if you don't. And what do you mean you can't work out how to feel and react in certain situations. If you're smart, you can work that out very easily: Baby cries = baby upset = try and work out with my enormous brain why baby is upset.
Can't work out why = idiot. lol!
What made you think working that out was a problem? It's more like social situations. It's not that we don't have empathy, we do, we just don't act on it.
I
ozoneocean at 8:24AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
KingRidley
Hey woah woah, I have one of those real cases of ADD. It's nothing really really extreme, but it saps my motivation to start or even finish most tasks, if I remember to do them at all. In classrooms boredom can become almost painful, weighing down on my like a physical weight. I've been normal bored before, this boredom is very different.

For a while I felt like I didn't have it, or that I grew out of it. But I didn't have anything all that important to handle, so there were rarely any problems. But in college I've noticed that it never went away, and that this is not a place where managing it on my own is safely feasible. The other day I took some medicine for it, and the impact was huge. I could think about doing a task, and I actually managed to get around to starting and finishing alot of my work. ADD is definitely an overused syndrome, but it is real every now and then.
I don't know man, we all go through those symptoms and drugs will help us all out the same way. A lot of people just take those drugs to study better.
Puff_Of_Smoke
What made you think working that out was a problem? It's more like social situations. It's not that we don't have empathy, we do, we just don't act on it.
Because Faliat said it was ;)
Come on, use that massive Asperger brain you've got there man. :)
Jebus, empathy and acting well in social situations can be tricky for everybody. There are actually very few people who always manage ok in social situations and make friends really easily, empathise automatically etc, that's why we love having those people over to our parties, to break the ice and get things going more easily. A lot of that is learned, you know? You pick it up over time.

Seriously, if I were you guys, I wouldn't hide behind the Asperger thing because it'll just make life more difficult for you as you get older. It's fine for when you're still young, but when you're older and moving around in the world, making your way, mixing with people, these perceived issues will be a hindrance.

Hawk at 2:20PM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
I understand the tendency to want to write off something like Asperger's Syndrome. As a society we're becoming more aware of things like overmedication and hasty diagnosis, or even the practice of using a fake disease as an “excuse”. But I think it takes meeting somebody with AS before you can understand that it's a real thing.

People with AS find themselves unable to read the facial expressions and body language of other people. This is one of the reasons they have a hard time empathizing. I know a twelve-year-old with AS. As soon as he found out that I enjoy video games, he started expounding on the entire history of Sonic the Hedgehog, despite my lack of interest. Either I was a really good actor, or he couldn't tell that I don't give a crap about Silver Hedgehog and his psychic powers.

He's a nice kid and he's a smart kid, but there's some kind of mental or psychological limitation that makes it hard for him to interact with other people in a way that normal people do.

I won't pretend to be an expert on the topic, but I don't think AS is just some gene set present in people (like Down Syndrome). I think it's a list of socialization problems, and some people have enough of them to qualify with what doctors call Asperger's Syndrome, in varying degrees. Thankfully people with AS can live good lives and make good friends. They just need a little patience and understanding from the people around them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Faliat at 2:39PM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
I wasn't talking about not understanding WHY the baby was upset, I was talking about my reaction to the baby crying.

Babies are a lot easier to read than adults. When they cry they either are hungry, thirsty, uncomfortable, need a nappy change or want attention. And babies are either sad, happy or just lying there doing nothing. As soon as they have more complex needs and expression of emotions, that's where the difficulties start.

And regarding whether A.S is genetic or not, I'd like to divulge in a little bit of family history.

After my diagnosis, my dad was tested. He was told he had it. My mum is certain than her dad and brother had it. However, both of them are dead. So we could only make those judgements based on my mum's memory of them both. (Interestingly, it's been noted that alcohol can actually make the traits WORSE. My uncle was an alcoholic due to his depression after his divorce. One day he got drunk after a long time trying to getting better, and got the strange urge to change a lightbulb. He got up on the chair to change the bulb, fell off it and hit his head on a radiator.) My mum was fascinated the other day in how I have the same dinnertime behaviours of her father. (That I never met because he died when she was 17.)

My sister was tested, too. She was told she DIDN'T have a.s. But that she had some of the traits because of two members of her immediate family having it and that influencing her behaviour.

And it doesn't stop there. Both my parents have suspicions of other family members' behaviour that could indicate that they too have traces. One of my dad's cousins, usually a guy that's quite quiet, has difficulties with interpersonal relationships and still lives with his mother despite being in his late thirties/early forties, asked my mum questions about A.S. And suddenly he became incredibly talkative regarding it. My mum had difficulty actually getting him out the house later on.

Sadly, his mother denies that my dad has it. Saying that “There was nothing wrong with him” before my mum came along. Although that's actually mor of a NATIONALITY based issue than an Asperger's based issue.

It's the lack of understanding by those that don't know what it is and don't care, or have predetermined opinions of disabled people in general that make it harder for those with A.S.

It's actually what puts off a lot of people getting diagnosed. Especially since there's a lot of people that consider it a mild form of Autism.

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
ozoneocean at 2:41PM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
Hawk
I won't pretend to be an expert on the topic, but I don't think AS is just some gene set present in people (like Down Syndrome). I think it's a list of socialization problems
Exactly: Being a bit of a dork.
People grow out of it. All it takes is time :)

Hawk at 2:55PM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
Hawk
I won't pretend to be an expert on the topic, but I don't think AS is just some gene set present in people (like Down Syndrome). I think it's a list of socialization problems

While I'll bet that's true for many people, I didn't tell you about the father of the kid I previously mentioned. He has AS as well, and it's obviously where his son got it (the mother is entirely normal, by the way). However, he still exhibits all of the same symptoms as his son. In fact, the day after the Sonic discussion with his son, I got a very boring and one-sided discussion from him about flowcharts.

I was a dork when I was little, and I've grown out of it. But here's this 42-year-old guy who never grew out of it. And I don't think he'll be any different at the age of 70.
Puff_Of_Smoke at 6:47PM, Oct. 11, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
Seriously, if I were you guys, I wouldn't hide behind the Asperger thing because it'll just make life more difficult for you as you get older.
Who said I hide behind it? I love it :D
I
KingRidley at 11:37PM, Oct. 11, 2008
(offline)
Puff_Of_Smoke
Act like a jerk? We're not insulting your Momma or swearing like no tomorrow!
No, I mean acting like a jerk accidentally because your inability to normally socialize may come across as rude to some people.

ozoneocean
I don't know man, we all go through those symptoms and drugs will help us all out the same way. A lot of people just take those drugs to study better.
Dude, seriously, I have this condition. This is not like simple procrastination. Studying is stressful, not because I'm worried I'll fail. Because the information is uninteresting, and I have to work and force myself with alot of effort to stay on topic, and even then I end up slipping away without entirely noticing. I have not grown out of this. My dad had it, and has never grown out of it. He's lucky that they have the pills for it now, because they didn't when he was growing up or serving in the navy, and he had to do some really unsafe things to handle it.

This is a condition that most people easily ignore, but it is real in many people.

ozoneocean
Good God man, I was a major dork when I was growing up. I never grew out of it, I just learned how to hide it. Shit like this is not just ‘being a dork.’

Seriously, I'm not just noticing apathy for this condition here. The lack of empathy almost gets insulting at times. This isn't something that just gets better in everyone, and it certainly isn't something that should be written off as ‘all in their heads.’

It's like how some people claim to be OCD, but those who actually have it really suffer because of it. It may be over-diagnosed, but that doesn't mean that on some level in some people it isn't real.
lothar at 1:40AM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
Faliat
(Interestingly, it's been noted that alcohol can actually make the traits WORSE. My uncle was an alcoholic due to his depression after his divorce. One day he got drunk after a long time trying to getting better, and got the strange urge to change a lightbulb. He got up on the chair to change the bulb, fell off it and hit his head on a radiator.)
i see nothing out of the ordinary here .

Hawk
I know a twelve-year-old with AS. As soon as he found out that I enjoy video games, he started expounding on the entire history of Sonic the Hedgehog, despite my lack of interest. Either I was a really good actor, or he couldn't tell that I don't give a crap about Silver Hedgehog and his psychic powers.

Almost Any kid will do that kind of thing. that's why they're kids.
kingridley
Studying is stressful, not because I'm worried I'll fail. Because the information is uninteresting, and I have to work and force myself with alot of effort to stay on topic, and even then I end up slipping away without entirely noticing.
Yes , School can be very boring . i think the people that have an easy time staying focused and studying are the odd ones.

does anyone have an anecdote that is actual a serious problem ???
You people are NORMAL !!!
it sounds like you are messing yourselves up more by turning a minor problem into some sort of illness that will follow you through your lives. take this from someone who has been through the mental “health” system, i've been on anti depressants and anti psychotics. once you start believing that there is something wrong with yourself it has a tendency to escalate. don't waste your time with these quack doctors . therapy and medication have there place , but only if it is a serious , life threatening or debilitating problem. Aspergers sounds like mental hypocondria . the problems are so minor . it can prolly be overcome with some effort and understanding friends .
but if you are happy being different in your own special way , then by all means continue with the doctors and the drugs and the whatever else .
but if you want to get on with your life , i recommend ignoring it .
that's all i got to say , maybe i'm being insensitive, maybe i have a lack of empathy and cant understand others special feeling . OMG maybe i have aspers too !!
Hawk at 2:00AM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
lothar
Almost Any kid will do that kind of thing. that's why they're kids.

Easy for you to say that when you haven't met the kid… or his father with the same exact conditions, who is not a kid.

I can't believe a few of us are actually having to argue this syndrome's existence. It's like trying to convince somebody that blind people exist.

“Their eyes are closed. So why don't they just open their eyes? It sounds fake to me.”
"There eyes are open. They can't see."
Skullbie at 2:18AM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
Wiki
Asperger Syndrome is sometimes called “other planet” syndrome because people with Asperger Syndrome often feel that they are quite normal but are living in a world full of aliens.

Ego is demented and trying to shield them from the truth? I guess if i think about it a lot of actually insane people think this way, and wont let themselves be treated because they're the ‘normal’ ones. Good luck with that.

Anyhow If taking meds and therapy helps you feel better then there's no reason not to take them, ignore dips on the net telling you you're weak or ‘it’s not real cuz i've never seen it personally^_^'.
If those meds made you feel like crap and you feel better without them, then don't take them. Different things are going to work for different people.
Though i certainly think the posters who are normal/taking them have more sanity….

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
lothar at 2:35AM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)

somebody please give me a clinical description of what normal is .
ozoneocean at 5:35AM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
I'm with Lothar, Those symptoms are completely normal, and there are a lot of psychiatrists that agree. You'd probably feel just as well taking placebos as long as there's someone around to validate your fears.

Faliat at 7:55AM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
Those with it have difficulties properly explaining what it's like to have it, and those that hear about it usually don't believe that the people with it have issues because they APPEAR neurotypical. That's one of the more complex issues regarding A.S.

I tried finding videos that could describe it better and still show examples of people with it without it being too chock-full of psychological terms. But looking through youtube at a glance most people talking about themselves having it were those that were self diagnosed.

I found a teaching guide for college professors that described it better than most.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=233-3jtEZck

Here's an example of someone who has fairly adequate support that's helped him improve his social skills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOhDWcwUjAg

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
KingRidley at 10:03AM, Oct. 12, 2008
(offline)
lothar
Yes , School can be very boring . i think the people that have an easy time staying focused and studying are the odd ones.

does anyone have an anecdote that is actual a serious problem ???
You people are NORMAL !!!
it sounds like you are messing yourselves up more by turning a minor problem into some sort of illness that will follow you through your lives. take this from someone who has been through the mental “health” system, i've been on anti depressants and anti psychotics. once you start believing that there is something wrong with yourself it has a tendency to escalate. don't waste your time with these quack doctors . therapy and medication have there place , but only if it is a serious , life threatening or debilitating problem.

Right, I can't start this politely.

Ahem: You don't understand this shit, so it isn't real? You don't believe in it, so the people who have it are just fools being lied to? Fuck you.

Getting past that, studying without medicine is stressful to the point where it can make my brain feel physically sore. But when I study with medicine, even though it's still boring I can actually make myself do it. Every time I take one of those new pills I sit and think to myself “Man this stupid thing will never work. I don't have ADD, I just need to buckle down. Alright that's enough daydreaming, back to this math problem. The square root of sin x is actually- *after finishing my work without interruption* OH SHIT IT WORKS”.

I've gone my whole life feeling like I didn't have this condition and that I was just easily distracted or lazy. But taking the medicine returns to me a sense of potential that I haven't felt in years. It gives me the time and ability to organize my thoughts and to get my shit done. I'm smart enough to swallow my pride and admit that I need the pills to get certain things done. It makes sense to me. Also makes sense to me that you needed anti depressants/psychotics. And because you don't believe that I do have a condition, then I don't believe that you don't.

lothar
somebody please give me a clinical description of what normal is .

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/normal

dictionary
2 a: according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle b: conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern

4 a: of, relating to, or characterized by average intelligence or development b: free from mental disorder : sane

That good enough for you?

ozoneocean
I'm with Lothar, Those symptoms are completely normal, and there are a lot of psychiatrists that agree. You'd probably feel just as well taking placebos as long as there's someone around to validate your fears.

God, you're just as bad as he is.

I do not take medicine to validate my fears. For years I was in denial that I had this, until I realized that I am getting more and more forgetful and sometimes incapable of accomplishing certain tasks. I came to my senses and decided to do what I had to in order to overcome this, and that was to take the pills. I had been trying all those years to just ‘overcome’ this with force of will and friendship, but it didn't work very well at all.

This shit is hard to explain to someone who doesn't suffer from it. But I'll try anyways.

Tape your eyelids open. Make sure it sticks.

Now blink.

Try again.

Go on, you'll get it.

You should be able to do this, it's just tape.

What, you need something to remove the tape? No you don't, keep trying.

God you're bad at this, just blink really hard.

Wouldn't it be easier to just get rid of the tape instead of trying to overcome it? In this case it's tape, but in my case it's a fucking fog that covers my mind at all times. The medicine doesn't ‘clear my mind’ or anything like that. It turns the fog into something I can manipulate.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved