Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Astrology scares me...
Mashed at 6:49PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
So today, i was forced to go to the hairdressers and watch my mother get a highlight… which, she always gets mad and says it isn't noticed.. (turns out it's because she wants it as artificial as possible)

ANYWAYS…

i saw this book on the table, entitled:

darn.. well.. i wrote it in my Zelda game, but i guess i forgot to save.. that always happens.. it was called, “the book of birthdays” i think.

Well, basically, it was a large book with all the days of the year on each of the pages, and it talks about the type of person you are astrology wise, and tarot card wise.

it scared me, because, it's not all luck. I mean, the descriptions i read sounded just like my friends and family! i did not get it, but guys, rest assure, if i get my hands on it, i will write some words down for you!

even my friend, who is incredibly childish and always daydreaming.. perfect definition.
my brother, bad attitude, angry, forgetful… perfect.
my mom,(TOO MUCH INFORMATION =O)… PERFECT.

Basically, it's crazy.

But how do they know these things?
is it just one big coincidence?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
Priest_Revan at 6:53PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Are you talking about the Zodiacs?

Yeah, I find it a little creepy how many times they're right about me.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
Mashed at 6:55PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Yes, that's it! =D
Aurora Moon at 7:00PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
It's probably one huge coincidence.

You see… it seems that most humans seem to have preset personalities and traits that's often randomly scattered throughout the human population.

That's why it's so easy to put certain personalities into groups with names. Emo, Prep, Goth, Yuppie, etc…. you name it.

Astrology just simply recognized the fact that under different “signs”, those personalities could be recognized.

In all, it's a fun way to identify people but it shouldn't be taken too seriously. After all, it will get some things wrong for certain people. So it can't be right all the time.

Just in case you were wondering, I'm a Gemini.

Traditional Gemini traits:

Adaptable and versatile
Communicative and witty
Intellectual and eloquent
Youthful and lively

On the dark side….

Nervous and tense
Superficial and inconsistent
Cunning and inquisitive
http://www.astrology-online.com/gemini.htm

Half of it doesn't apply to me at all. =\
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
usedbooks at 7:03PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(online)
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Mashed at 7:06PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
I guess you're right..
LoveandGuns at 7:47PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Not that they're being psychic, they just can pick out general information about certain people born around a certain time. Sometimes I think they just survey people to find exactly what to put in those books.

Now, if you really want a scare, go visit a psychic. :wink: :whistling:
K.A.L.A-dan! Ill Girl *coughs*
The Official Mother/Therapist of KALA-dan!

http://loveandguns90.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:46PM
Chernobog at 8:05PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Astrology seems ‘glancing hit and total miss’ to me. I tried following my horoscope for a while. Whenever something seemed that it could be appropriate to something going on in my life, it was still a bit of a stretch at best. I had to be willing to believe it really was referring to something going on. Other times, just gibberish. (Lucky in love? Yeah right.) And then you have to ask, logically, how can you be sure any of them are right when there's a myriad of different people in different papers giving different readings. The answer is, you can't. You have to want to believe it's anything more than a novelty.

I like Aurora Moon's answer on this. ‘A desire for classification and sweeping generalizations’.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Mashed at 8:45PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Yes, well, i am not speaking of newspaper readings. i am speaking of a novel with TWO pages of explanations for every single day of the year. I am speaking that it described then exactly.

About psychic,

they predicted my aunts friend's death.

She predicted my friends father would be abusive and leave the family.

She predicted someone else was pregnant.

Now as odd as they may all be, they are indeed strange coincidences.

Newspaper readings and online are crap, i know people write them… just out of nowhere, and make things probably for both.
Skullbie at 8:58PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(online)
Personally I think it would be pretty cool if the alignment of the planet/stars could determine what makes you ‘you’.

In my experience i've found quite a few zodiac traits in me and my friends very true.
But-

It's not something you can view with logic without going ‘wait, wtf?’
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
LoveandGuns at 9:08PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Mashed
Yes, well, i am not speaking of newspaper readings. i am speaking of a novel with TWO pages of explanations for every single day of the year. I am speaking that it described then exactly.

About psychic,

they predicted my aunts friend's death.

She predicted my friends father would be abusive and leave the family.

She predicted someone else was pregnant.

Now as odd as they may all be, they are indeed strange coincidences.

Newspaper readings and online are crap, i know people write them… just out of nowhere, and make things probably for both.

You gotta love psychics. :]

Lord Shplane at 10:34PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Horoscope/Astrology? Bullshit. The locations of giant balls of plasma/gas/rock/ice have nothing to do with what's happening in your love life. In fact, it's EXTREMELY concieted for human beings to think that it would. Yes, all the vastness of space exists ENTIRELY so that you'll know when to buy a lottery ticket.

A few people out of the billions in the world will read it and HAPPEN to coincide with what it says. Hell, they might be like you and know OTHER people who the horoscope got right. But they're not the majority. It's just that when you have a 1 in 5 million chance, and you spread it between a few billion people, you'll get a couple of hits.

Psychics though? I've actually had a few precognitive dreams before. Never anything IMPORTANT, but they happened. For example, once I dreamed that I was eating a bag of trail mix in my grandmother's van. It happens a few months later, and I think “WOW, I dreamed this!” This has happened to me a few other times. Nothing significant, but it HAS happened.

But astrology? Please. Get over yourself.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:44PM
LoveandGuns at 11:19PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Lord Shplane
Horoscope/Astrology? Bullshit. The locations of giant balls of plasma/gas/rock/ice have nothing to do with what's happening in your love life. In fact, it's EXTREMELY concieted for human beings to think that it would. Yes, all the vastness of space exists ENTIRELY so that you'll know when to buy a lottery ticket.

A few people out of the billions in the world will read it and HAPPEN to coincide with what it says. Hell, they might be like you and know OTHER people who the horoscope got right. But they're not the majority. It's just that when you have a 1 in 5 million chance, and you spread it between a few billion people, you'll get a couple of hits.

Psychics though? I've actually had a few precognitive dreams before. Never anything IMPORTANT, but they happened. For example, once I dreamed that I was eating a bag of trail mix in my grandmother's van. It happens a few months later, and I think “WOW, I dreamed this!” This has happened to me a few other times. Nothing significant, but it HAS happened.

But astrology? Please. Get over yourself.

I feel the same way, also I love psychics… I would give more information of WHY I do… But I don't feel comfortable enough to. :p

Aurora Moon at 11:37PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Ive had dreams that came true too. And some of it was actually scary. =(

like I had a dream before my 15th birthday that a friend of mine was going to break her arm in a bike accident. And not only that, in my dream she was flying though the air in a rather helpless fashion. Then on my 15th birthday my mom told me that my party wasn't quite ready yet… and this was in the summertime so my friends and I decided to go biking.
We went down this path we never took before… It became too rocky to travel by bike alone. and so it ended up that all of us decided that we would hike up the path instead to enjoy the view from the very top of the huge hill. (that hill was so huge, that it might had been called a small mountain). But my friend, the exact same friend from my dream was paranoid that if she left her bike at the bottom, that somebody might take it. So against my advice, she took it up there with us.

And of course what happens? she's the last one down, so she decides to save time by riding all the way down. Before we can yell for her to stop, she's already on the bike on her way down. But of course, she hits this huge rock and she's literally sent flying into the air! exactly in the same manner as in my dream. She was around 13 feet high in the air and I'm just like “oh shit, it came true!!” in my head.
And my friend survived the fall, but she suffered a lot of broken bones. Strangely enough I felt responsible for it somehow…After all, I dreamed it and yet I wasn't able to stop it.

That was freaky as shit.

That's why I know that things like psychics can exist. That's just there's a lot of scams and fakes out there, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Lord Shplane at 12:06AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Aurora Moon
That's why I know that things like psychics can exist. That's just there's a lot of scams and fakes out there, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

Yes.
skoolmunkee at 5:01AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
I've seen that book :) I remember the entry for my birthday being half right and half wrong. So, I wasn't too impressed, but I WAS entertained.

So to me, astrology is all about entertainment.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
mlai at 6:51AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(online)
If your zodiac doesn't apply well to you, then just chalk yourself up to be someone free from the shackles of Fate, and go live your own life.

But for some ppl, such as myself, both of the world's 2 prominent zodiacs fit me to a T. I'm the textbook description of my signs. So, seeing as how they're all writing about me, I'll pay a bit more attention to my horoscopes.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Lord Shplane at 7:56AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
See though Mlai, they're not writing about you. They're not writing ABOUT anyone. They're taking shots in the dark and hoping it hits someone. You're the guy who happened to be standing in front of the gun.

That's why people will always believe in astrology. They make up some ambiguous traits, apply them to a certain point in time, and hope that someone out of the billions of people born between the beggining of month X and the beggining of month Y are like what they described. Then that person will believe that whatever the astrologer is saying is actually true, so they'll act on whatever the chart says. That way, they end up MAKING whatever it says come true, so they believe in it more.

Like I said earlier, the great multitudes of stars and planets and galaxies don't exist to tell the fortune of insignificant apes on a backwards planet at the outskirts of an average galaxy. That's like saying that the Earth exists ENTIRELY to support the existance of gnats. That's just not how things work.
mlai at 8:12AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(online)
Lord Shplane
See though Mlai, they're not writing about you. They're not writing ABOUT anyone. They're taking shots in the dark and hoping it hits someone. You're the guy who happened to be standing in front of the gun.
That's my entire point. Say the sign of the duck applies to only 15% of all duck-monthers. I happen to be in that 15%. So when they write about duckers, they're writing for me.
They're not gonna write that “duckers are very social,” and then in the duck horoscope say “because you're naturally shy, you should do this and this.”
Just to clarify, I never look at the daily/weekly/monthly horoscopes. The more specific they try to get, the less accurate.

Like I said earlier, the great multitudes of stars and planets and galaxies don't exist to tell the fortune of insignificant apes on a backwards planet at the outskirts of an average galaxy. That's like saying that the Earth exists ENTIRELY to support the existance of gnats. That's just not how things work.
That's the inverted way of looking at their logic. Cosmic energies don't exist for you. Rather, you exist for the cosmic energies, and so you're influenced by its grand movements.

Lord Shplane at 8:36AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
mlai
Lord Shplane
That's my entire point. Say the sign of the duck applies to only 15% of all duck-monthers. I happen to be in that 15%. So when they write about duckers, they're writing for me.
They're not gonna write that “duckers are very social,” and then in the duck horoscope say “because you're naturally shy, you should do this and this.”
Just to clarify, I never look at the daily/weekly/monthly horoscopes. The more specific they try to get, the less accurate.

Eventually though, they'll fuck up for you too. They'll say something that has nothing to do with you, but it WILL work for, say, Coveinant. Then you'll stop believing, and he will.

Mlai
That's the inverted way of looking at their logic. Cosmic energies don't exist for you. Rather, you exist for the cosmic energies, and so you're influenced by its grand movements.

The cosmic forces wouldn't give a fuck about us. Like I said before, we're the universal equivalent of gnats. We mean nothing. Anything that massive wouldn't pay any attention to us unless we bit it in the arm. Then it would probably swat us with a newspaper.
Insanity at 8:55AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Really.

ASTROLOGY LIES!!!

AwesomeUnicorn
I feel a little bit like Hitler right now, too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
mishi_hime at 8:58AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(online)
Lord Shplane
mlai
Lord Shplane

Eventually though, they'll fuck up for you too. They'll say something that has nothing to do with you, but it WILL work for, say, Coveinant. Then you'll stop believing, and he will.

Mlai

The cosmic forces wouldn't give a fuck about us. Like I said before, we're the universal equivalent of gnats. We mean nothing. Anything that massive wouldn't pay any attention to us unless we bit it in the arm. Then it would probably swat us with a newspaper.

Are you saying……………………
Master Rao is wrong!?

but but but but…
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

he did say i am going to be very successful this year *sniff*
i'll smite him if he's wrong this year im going to start my career.
Signature.txt
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:03PM
mlai at 10:56AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(online)
Lord Shplane
Hasn't been wrong about me. EVAR.

So, you basically read what I wrote without understanding a single word?

Fenn at 11:46AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Astrology doesn't scare me.

People in positions of power that base their decisions on astrology… now that scares the hell out of me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
crocty at 12:10PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Astrology will get some people's personality right.
But you can NOT say that it's never wrong.
It's just complete guesses.
Why would the position of Earth make the person's personality different?
Think about it.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:50AM
Lord Shplane at 12:32PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
mlai
Lord Shplane
Hasn't been wrong about me. EVAR.

It will. Just wait.

Mlai
Lord Shplane
So, you basically read what I wrote without understanding a single word?

Your statement was “You exist for the cosmic energies”, implying that we exist in some function that benefits the cosmic energies in some way.
mlai at 12:52PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(online)
Lord Shplane
Your statement was “You exist for the cosmic energies”, implying that we exist in some function that benefits the cosmic energies in some way.
Considering that we, as physical bodies, are governed by the laws of thermodynamics… yeah.
Am I gonna think hard about why I put the least bit of credence in the zodiac signs? Why should I? Its description fits me perfectly. Always. That's all I need to know. Why should I care whether it fits somebody else?

Lord Shplane at 1:12PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)

mlai
Lord Shplane
Considering that we, as physical bodies, are governed by the laws of thermodynamics… yeah.

That would mean that we exist as a PART of the “cosmic energies”, not that we exist FOR them. We are GOVERNED by thermodynamics because thermodynamics are a law of physics. Regardless though, thermodynamics has nothing to do with astrology. Thermodynamics doesn't govern your luck/personality. It just keeps your energy from being created/destroyed etc.

mlai
Am I gonna think hard about why I put the least bit of credence in the zodiac signs? Why should I? Its description fits me perfectly. Always. That's all I need to know. Why should I care whether it fits somebody else?

Yes, it HAS fit you. Before. But that doesn't mean it always will. In fact, you're incredibly lucky for you to have done so as long as you can, or indeed even once. They're not writing ABOUT you. You've just been lucky enough to be the one they've hit so far.
Klarga at 3:43PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Well, if Astrology does govern you, which it more than likely doesn't, don't look at it. Preserve the element of surprise. If the World explodes, you'll be afraid for a second; if you know the World's going to explode five years in the future, you'll be afraid for five years.
The unibrow in the avatar is an optical illusion
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
Mashed at 5:21PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Klarga
Well, if Astrology does govern you, which it more than likely doesn't, don't look at it. Preserve the element of surprise. If the World explodes, you'll be afraid for a second; if you know the World's going to explode five years in the future, you'll be afraid for five years.

wow. you're a great thinker, my friend.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon