Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Astrology scares me...
Croi Dhubh at 6:25PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Considering that the descriptions in those books haven't changed since their inceptions, they would be horribly wrong as it is. After all, the axis has changed ever so slightly to change the position of stars in the sky, which changes the alignment and time when those stars show up.

In other words, even if fire balls floating in a vacuum of space so far away that they don't really influence anything around them as it is in general, other than their immediate space-time, the descriptions and predictions would be wrong.

Which brings up the fact that there really isn't gravity as most people have been taught, but that's a discussion for a later time…but still relevant to this topic.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
mlai at 7:03PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(online)
I think the Theory of Astrology should be taught in our science class, so that our children are exposed to alternative, equally viable scientific points of view. We should teach our children to keep an open mind.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Lord Shplane at 7:07PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
mlai
I think the Theory of Astrology should be taught in our science class, so that our children are exposed to alternative, equally viable scientific points of view. We should teach our children to keep an open mind.

Oh great, now we're going to have to make a NEW version of the Flying Spaghetti Monster ENTIRELY to debunk Astrology.

THANKS A LOT MLAI
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:44PM
bongotezz at 7:08PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Mashed
Yes, well, i am not speaking of newspaper readings. i am speaking of a novel with TWO pages of explanations for every single day of the year. I am speaking that it described then exactly.

About psychic,

they predicted my aunts friend's death.

She predicted my friends father would be abusive and leave the family.

She predicted someone else was pregnant.

Now as odd as they may all be, they are indeed strange coincidences.

Newspaper readings and online are crap, i know people write them… just out of nowhere, and make things probably for both.

i wonder why they never predict the lotto numbers? oh wait. i know why. it's all fake.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
Croi Dhubh at 7:11PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
I wouldn't got that far, bongotezz. I will agree that the whole “I predict your future!!!!!!” crap is…well…crap, but don't throw it out completely.

As far as the whole “teach it in schools” thing…they teach evolution as if it were a proven 100% scientific fact, so why not? They're already teaching children moronic shit as it is.

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
bongotezz at 7:12PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Lord Shplane
Psychics though? I've actually had a few precognitive dreams before. Never anything IMPORTANT, but they happened. For example, once I dreamed that I was eating a bag of trail mix in my grandmother's van. It happens a few months later, and I think “WOW, I dreamed this!” This has happened to me a few other times. Nothing significant, but it HAS happened.

people dream about stuff they do all the time. i dream about driving to work and then it happens the very next day.
bongotezz at 7:14PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Croi Dhubh
I wouldn't got that far, bongotezz. I will agree that the whole “I predict your future!!!!!!” crap is…well…crap, but don't throw it out completely.

As far as the whole “teach it in schools” thing…they teach evolution as if it were a proven 100% scientific fact, so why not? They're already teaching children moronic shit as it is.

it's not?
Lord Shplane at 7:17PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Croi Dhubh

I don't throw psychic ability completely out for two reasons- 1: I've had experience with it myself and 2: It's actually a PHYSICAL POSSIBILITY, unlike Astronomy. Space and time are the same thing. It's highly possible for us to manipulate space, isn't it? Well what if a part of our brain was able to manipulate time as well, allowing it to see the past/future? It's unlikely, sure, HIGHLY unlikely, but it's not a complete impossibility like Astronomy is.

As for evolution, it's like 95% fact right now though. They've pretty much proven it, what with fossil records and DNA artifacts and the like. Astrology, however, is just a bunch of random crap that people threw together for shits and giggles.

bongotezz at 7:19PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)

Traditional Gemini traits:

Adaptable and versatile - all humans are these
Communicative and witty - everyone talks. most people can tell a joke
Intellectual and eloquent - most people have been to school and can think, read etc.
Youthful and lively - how does this apply to a 100 year old gemini who happens to be bed ridden and sick?

On the dark side….

Nervous and tense - depending on situation everyone experiences these emotions
Superficial and inconsistent - human nature
Cunning and inquisitive - again human nature.
http://www.astrology-online.com/gemini.htm

this stuff is all too generic.
bongotezz at 7:24PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Lord Shplane
I don't throw psychic ability completely out for two reasons- 1: I've had experience with it myself and 2: It's actually a PHYSICAL POSSIBILITY, unlike Astronomy. Space and time are the same thing. It's highly possible for us to manipulate space, isn't it? Well what if a part of our brain was able to manipulate time as well, allowing it to see the past/future? It's unlikely, sure, HIGHLY unlikely, but it's not a complete impossibility like Astronomy is.

nope. it's not. james randi is currently offering 1.1 million dollars for proof of psychic powers. he's had some kind of offer available for decades and no one has won it.

http://www.randi.org/
Lord Shplane at 7:27PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
bongotezz
nope. it's not. james randi is currently offering 1.1 million dollars for proof of psychic powers. he's had some kind of offer available for decades and no one has won it.

So no one's won an award. Who cares? That doesn't make it IMPOSSIBLE, that just makes it UNPROVEN. People used to think that giant squids were a myth, but there you go, we have COLLOSAL SQUIDS now, which are even BIGGER than giant squids.
bongotezz at 7:48PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
Lord Shplane
bongotezz

So no one's won an award. Who cares? That doesn't make it IMPOSSIBLE, that just makes it UNPROVEN. People used to think that giant squids were a myth, but there you go, we have COLLOSAL SQUIDS now, which are even BIGGER than giant squids.

yes. giant squids. because someone didn't believe that they existed and they were eventually found means that everything that someone doesn't believe in must be real. there are people claiming to be psychics everywhere. i think that after decades of prize money available for one of the thousands of people claiming to be psychic someone would have proven it by now.

if someone offered you a million dollars to prove that you could do something that you can do, lets say walk across a room, i'm pretty sure you'd do it. if they really had psychic powers they would have proven it for the million dollars.
Lord Shplane at 8:50PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
bongotezz
yes. giant squids. because someone didn't believe that they existed and they were eventually found means that everything that someone doesn't believe in must be real. there are people claiming to be psychics everywhere. i think that after decades of prize money available for one of the thousands of people claiming to be psychic someone would have proven it by now.

if someone offered you a million dollars to prove that you could do something that you can do, lets say walk across a room, i'm pretty sure you'd do it. if they really had psychic powers they would have proven it for the million dollars.

See though, psychic powers are difficult to prove. You say you had a dream of some kind? Well it's hard for the guy to really tell if you're lying or not. Psychic ability can only really be shown to exist via people's words. It's the sort of thing you either have to experience for yourself or be very gullible to believe in.

Am I saying that I REALLY believe in it? Not necessarily. The things I've dreamed could have just been coincidence. I just don't rule out the possibility just yet.

And most people claiming to be psychics are making it up. Really, I don't think there IS a person who can access whatever dream shit it is at will. It's more of a subconscious thing. That would add to the reasons why your prize money has never been collected. Or it might be that there aren't any psychics. Either one is possible.
DAJB at 11:24PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(online)
bongotezz
if they really had psychic powers they would have proven it for the million dollars.
Not necessarily. If they turned up and proved it, that would blow their secret identity and then they wouldn't be able to be a super hero any more …
;-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
mlai at 6:26AM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
bongotezz
Traditional Gemini traits:

Adaptable and versatile - all humans are these
Communicative and witty - everyone talks. most people can tell a joke
Intellectual and eloquent - most people have been to school and can think, read etc.
Youthful and lively - how does this apply to a 100 year old gemini who happens to be bed ridden and sick?

On the dark side….

Nervous and tense - depending on situation everyone experiences these emotions
Superficial and inconsistent - human nature
Cunning and inquisitive - again human nature.
http://www.astrology-online.com/gemini.htm

this stuff is all too generic.
You basically picked the most generic segment of multi-page essays on various signs. Nobody would read the above and be convinced that they fit gemini. They'd read the detailed essay below.

TheMidge28 at 6:53AM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
usedbooks
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

great line.
I have never heard this one before. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:23PM
Pulse at 1:04PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
calm done man it's just a coniqidink!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Glarg at 3:25PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
Zodiac
'I FEEL' is the motto for Cancer. You are emotional, sensitive and easily hurt. You need to be needed and are very caring. Children, plants and artistic projects all thrive under your protection.

Home and family are very important to you and you can remember things from your childhood as clearly as if they happened yesterday. There is a part of you that doesn't want to grow up and you make a ready playmate.

You are imaginative and empathetic and will mirror other people's feelings back to them. They trust you and will confide in you, although you yourself are a very private person and keep your own feelings to yourself.

Your sensitivity can make you touchy and you can also be very moody. Your reluctance to let go of the past can make you clingy.

You are the nurturers of the zodiac.

…I don't like my sign.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
bongotezz at 5:02PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
Lord Shplane
See though, psychic powers are difficult to prove. You say you had a dream of some kind? Well it's hard for the guy to really tell if you're lying or not. Psychic ability can only really be shown to exist via people's words. It's the sort of thing you either have to experience for yourself or be very gullible to believe in.

Am I saying that I REALLY believe in it? Not necessarily. The things I've dreamed could have just been coincidence. I just don't rule out the possibility just yet.

And most people claiming to be psychics are making it up. Really, I don't think there IS a person who can access whatever dream shit it is at will. It's more of a subconscious thing. That would add to the reasons why your prize money has never been collected. Or it might be that there aren't any psychics. Either one is possible.

in order to prove psychic powers someone would have to predict the out come of various random events and be correct a lot more that someone just guessing. flipping a coin is a nice random event. if someone flips a coin and you choose heads and it is heads you are not psychic. you guessed it out of possible outcomes. now take the coin and flip it 10,000 times. if you correctly guess it all 10,000 times then you might be a psychic provided no cheating was taking place.

so now here's a challange for everyone out there. anyone in the whole world. if you pass the challange you'll be rich. if you are psychic or know a psychic or just want to contact a psychic then this challange is for you.

step one - provide me with the winning numbers on the next 5 multi-million dollar NY state lotteries. all winning numbers including the bonus number must be provided in order. i chose 5 to eliminate the chance of guessing correctly one time.

step two - once i have confirmed that you or the psychic you talked two can accuratly predict the future they will need to provide me with the next 5 sets of winning NY state multi-million dollar lottery numbers. I will then buy 1 ticket for each lottery with the numbers selected and collect the winnings.

step three - you or the psychic you talked to will then have to provide the winning lotto numbers for the next multi-million dollar lottery drawing from a randomly selected state chosen by me. this will be done to prevent cheating in case you or the psychic you talked to actually are able to rig the NY state lotto.

if you pass all 3 steps i will split the money with you 50-50.

good luck :)
mlai at 8:09PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
@ Midge:

You're being sarcastic or srs?

@ Glarg:

See, that's what I mean. If the zodiac descriptions are truly random bullshit, that description could very well be my sign. In which case, I'd read it and I'd go “That's not me. This is bullshit.”
Which is why I'm not Cancer. But my sign's description does fit me.

@ Bongo:

YOu know what they say… cut out the middleman.

Lord Shplane at 8:25PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
mlai
@ Glarg:

See, that's what I mean. If the zodiac descriptions are truly random bullshit, that description could very well be my sign. In which case, I'd read it and I'd go “That's not me. This is bullshit.”
Which is why I'm not Cancer. But my sign's description does fit me.

IT'S CALLED “LUCK” MLAI HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT?
Croi Dhubh at 8:36PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
bongotezz
Lord Shplane

in order to prove psychic powers someone would have to predict the out come of various random events and be correct a lot more that someone just guessing.
I don't think you understand “how it works”… There are those who claim to predict the future, there are those who claim to have sensations of events going on that they shouldn't know about, and there are those who claim they can pick up on things going on within another person's mind.

Not all psychics are “I know the future!!! Now cue in the scary thermin music!!!!”

flipping a coin is a nice random event.if someone flips a coin and you choose heads and it is heads you are not psychic. you guessed it out of possible outcomes. now take the coin and flip it 10,000 times. if you correctly guess it all 10,000 times then you might be a psychic provided no cheating was taking place.
Except it's not random. Given time, it will be 50% heads and 50% tails. It's not all that unlikely that someone can guess each one each time, as they have a 50% chance of getting it right on the flip.

People who are incredibly great with numbers have proven that even random number generators tend to pick out certain numbers more often than not. These people have shown incredible intuition in places like Las Vegas because of it.

so now here's a challange for everyone out there. anyone in the whole world. if you pass the challange you'll be rich. if you are psychic or know a psychic or just want to contact a psychic then this challange is for you.
It's more than becoming rich, and those who say, “Oh, I don't use it to get rich because it's unethical!” simply are fakers.

step one - provide me with the winning numbers on the next 5 multi-million dollar NY state lotteries. all winning numbers including the bonus number must be provided in order. i chose 5 to eliminate the chance of guessing correctly one time.
Now you're just trying to use others for your own benefit. As I said, though, it doesn't work that way. You simply don't understand how things work.

Most people who claim to predict the future will tell you that they only see a certain future, and not necessarily the one that is going to happen. For every choice you come to in life and don't make, in theory, must be played in another timeline. It's quite possible these people are seeing possibilities, and since there are too many possibilities in a lottery, they can't pick it up.

For me, personally, it's not about seeing any kind of future.

Besides, you can be tricked with this as it is. There are companies who send out cards with the winning and losing teams for football, soccer, or what have you, and then send out a near identical card with different winners and losers. A certain percentage of people will have a card that is 100% accurate, but the next time they will get one that isn't accurate. Just because you get the numbers, doesn't mean it was predicted.

step two - once i have confirmed that you or the psychic you talked two can accuratly predict the future they will need to provide me with the next 5 sets of winning NY state multi-million dollar lottery numbers. I will then buy 1 ticket for each lottery with the numbers selected and collect the winnings.
Again, this isn't about you proving anything psychic, this is about making yourself rich by using others while pretending to be conducting research. There's other ways to go about it, and many others are actually doing it.

step three - you or the psychic you talked to will then have to provide the winning lotto numbers for the next multi-million dollar lottery drawing from a randomly selected state chosen by me. this will be done to prevent cheating in case you or the psychic you talked to actually are able to rig the NY state lotto.

if you pass all 3 steps i will split the money with you 50-50.

good luck :)
Why would they do all of this for you when they could just do it themselves if it worked that way?

I've gotten people I know creeped out a little bit with things I've told them that I shouldn't know. Am I just good at reading people? Sure I am, but then why can I call up someone out of the blue and tell them not to be smoking two cigarettes at once when they are supposed to be quitting and freak out asking me how I knew they were just lighting two? Or telling my grandmother, “Nammy…I think grampy just cut himself really bad. Hand me a wet paper towel…” only to have him come rushing in two minutes later with a huge cut down his finger?

It's not all about the future. I couldn't tell you what numbers were coming up, and if I could, I wouldn't, because I'd want more of a share for myself.

Lord Shplane
As for evolution, it's like 95% fact right now though. They've pretty much proven it, what with fossil records and DNA artifacts and the like.
Wow…way off…considering they can't even agree on the evolution of a horse, nor show the exact evolution of a horse, nor find exact proof in the layers of Earth that it happens the way they claim (at least two “evolutions” have been found in strata layers that are below “previous evolutions” have been found).

Did you get that number from Wikipedia, or just your own figuring? I'm not being an ass, I'm just curious.

Lord Shplane at 8:56PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
Croi Dhubh
Lord Shplane
As for evolution, it's like 95% fact right now though. They've pretty much proven it, what with fossil records and DNA artifacts and the like.
Wow…way off…considering they can't even agree on the evolution of a horse, nor show the exact evolution of a horse, nor find exact proof in the layers of Earth that it happens the way they claim (at least two “evolutions” have been found in strata layers that are below “previous evolutions” have been found).

Did you get that number from Wikipedia, or just your own figuring? I'm not being an ass, I'm just curious.

I got it from a combination of a lot of things. Various documentaries (On the Discovery and National Geographic channels), science textbooks, that kind of thing. But no Wikipedia, actually. I've never been to the Wikipedia page on evolution.

And so they're not sure what a horse evolved from, so what? That doesn't mean that evolution didn't HAPPEN. Evolution is pretty much a fact now. They aren't alway right about what evolved from what, but they can generally look at and tell that EVOLUTION ITSELF happened. They can look at places where OTHER things have evolved. So what if it's a bit smoggy as to what a horse came from?

As for “previous evolutions”, people don't seem to understand exactly how evolution works. Something can EVOLVE from something else without getting rid of the original. When evolution occurs, it's not just “Oh hey, that species used to be monkeys. Now it's people”. It's “Oh look that monkey just evolved a bigger brain. Now all of its descendents will have that. Maybe one of those will evolve bipedalism.” But the thing is, the ORIGINAL type of monkey could still be there, it's just that the NEW species would be there too. That's not to say that the new species CAN'T displace the old one, but it doesn't ALWAYS have to get rid of them.
Croi Dhubh at 9:26PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
I was actually only being nice in asking

kyupol at 11:12PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
Evolution is pretty much a fact now.

I think evolution is only part of it. Maybe around 50%. I doubt evolution because it kinda boxes people in. Where is the human spirit in evolution?

We arent just physical matter. Humans have a physical body as well as a spirit.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Lord Shplane at 11:20PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
kyupol
Evolution is pretty much a fact now.

I think evolution is only part of it. Maybe around 50%. I doubt evolution because it kinda boxes people in. Where is the human spirit in evolution?

We arent just physical matter. Humans have a physical body as well as a spirit.

NO, no, no, no, no, no, no.

We are NOT doing faith vs science. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Do NOT try to inject religion into science. It's stupid and it helps no one. Stop it.
kyupol at 11:25PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
And with regards to psychic powers, I believe that everyone has it – to a certain degree of course just like any other talents such as drawing or playing musical instruments. There are n00bs and there are l33t pr0s here. :)

When you say psychic, it isnt all about telling the future, talking to spirits or ETs, or seeing those auras because of opening all 7 chakras, and that psychic surgery stuff.

People at that level are pretty much very advanced. Because if you are weak and you try calling ETs or spirits, they will sense it right away and try to gain control of your body.

The pre-requisite of tapping into the psychic ability is believing in it sincerely. Just like how you sincerely believe that you can draw or play an instrument. Its a learned skill.

Ever heard of that saying ‘mind over matter’? And ‘What the mind can conceive, the body can achieve’?

kyupol at 11:27PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
Do NOT try to inject religion into science. It's stupid and it helps no one. Stop it.

Religion and science should close the gaps created between them. That is necessary to attain a higher state of being.
Lord Shplane at 12:15AM, Jan. 22, 2008
(offline)
kyupol

Religion and science should close the gaps created between them. That is necessary to attain a higher state of being.

The thing is, science and religion are basically opposites. Science deals with the quantifiable, things that can be measure and observed directly or indirectly. Science tries to prove or disprove things in order to understand the world around us.

Religion deals with things that CAN'T be measure. Religion deals with faith, with things that cannot be measured or observed, and things which cannot be proven or disproven. Religion is unquantifiable.

Therefore, trying to put religion and science together is impossible. Now if you go and find some way of looking at someone's soul, then we'll talk. Until then, let science be science and stop trying to Jesus it up.
Adariel at 12:45AM, Jan. 22, 2008
(offline)
crocty
Astrology will get some people's personality right.
But you can NOT say that it's never wrong.
It's just complete guesses.
Why would the position of Earth make the person's personality different?
Think about it.

Im waiting for the next installment of “Chaos Theory Today” to explain that one. :neenjah:
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon