Debate and Discussion

Automatic citizenship for LEGAL immigrants?
timelike01 at 7:53AM, March 19, 2008
(offline)
Here's a proposal that I suspect couldn't actually be done, but I still think it's worth mentioning (and it probably has been mentioned before). That is, if it's true that illegal immigrants deserve amnesty, work visas or other such perks, doesn't that mean that LEGAL immigrants deserve AUTOMATIC CITIZENSHIP? It sounds fair to me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Black_Kitty at 4:40PM, March 20, 2008
(online)
I disagree but I suppose it's because I'm a bit idealistic.

There is a difference between being a resident and being a citizen. Anyone can be a resident. It doesn't take that much effort to occupy and live in a space that falls within specific boundaries.

A citizen however should be one who is a member of the community. That includes participating in the governing of the country (voting, jury duty, running for office, etc), being well informed and interested in the betterment of the country, and being loyalty to your country.

But I'm idealistic I suppose. Citizenship comes with responsibilities and duties and not many people think too much about those.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
Hawk at 9:30AM, March 21, 2008
(online)
You know, I was kind of neutral on this until Black Kitty explained it the way she did. And I agree with her.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved