Media Megaforum

ccs1989 at 10:40AM, July 8, 2006
(online)
Nickelodean is playing a full length (and by that I mean one hour, so not really full length…) Avatar movie next Friday at 8:00 PM. It looks cool, and although it'll probably be a side plot it's got ties to the main plot (continuing the journey) and looks to have some killer battles with the Fire Nation and some awesome legendary sand creatures or something.

Anyway, everyone should watch, cause this IS the best American created animated series on TV at the moment. And it looks awesome.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Terminal at 10:00PM, July 9, 2006
(online)
equinox
Now if we were talkin cartoon network, let's see Avatar compete with Family Guy, Futurama, or ATHF. It wont seem so cool then.

Cartoon Network (excluding Futurama) and Nickelodean both fail.

Nicktoons Network is where it's all at.

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
Ian Jay at 10:02PM, July 9, 2006
(offline)
equinox
Now if we were talkin cartoon network, let's see Avatar compete with Family Guy, Futurama, or ATHF. It wont seem so cool then.

Equinox, my esteemed colleague, I'm no fan of Avatar (in fact, I've barely heard of it outside this forum), but if I were to pick between Avatar and Aqua Teen Hunger Force, I'd pick Avatar. I mean, from what I've seen, at least Avatar has more than three backgrounds for its characters. And there are actual plots, with gradual character development and everything. And the script wasn't written by a bunch of guys sitting in a windowless room in Atlanta sniffing dry-erase markers in a futile attempt to recapture the magic of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

Futurama? Hands down better than Avatar. Family Guy? Not so much, but I could see where you're going with it. But ATHF? Sorry, no.

~IJ

PS: That didn't come off as too mean, did it? If it did, sorry. I respect your opinions. But I don't regret mine.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
isukun at 8:00AM, July 10, 2006
(online)
I think I'll pass on this. After seeing so many people rave about the series, I did check it out. I find it to be too generic. Character designs are bland, the storyline has been done to death, and I really detest the modern American animation obsession with constant crappy background music. It's kind of sad that I can find more good points in Jackie Chan Adventures.

As for Ian's comment. Animation quality aside, I still find Aqua Teen Hunger Force more entertaining than Avatar. At least one makes me chuckle from time to time. Avatar just puts me to sleep.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
PhatScurl at 9:23AM, July 10, 2006
(offline)
equinox
ccs1989
Anyway, everyone should watch, cause this IS the best American created animated series on TV at the moment.

What you mean is the best on Nickolodean. But when you're best competition is from a generic superhero show with ghosts, a mentally retarded sponge and his homosexual buddy, and a horribly cliche cg show with ugly people, being the best is not real hard.

Ey, Patrick is not gay! Patrick is the frick'n man, he made the show! He's the only reason i watch the show. I even have a giant stuffed Patrick in my room, ill admit that at the moment its sitting on the stuffed Oscar Mayer Weiner Moblie, but that proves NOTHING.

Now, back on to topic, ill be watching the movie and i look forward to it. Really nothing like it has ever been on television, though it is Cliche when compared to games.

Honestly i think there are only 3 cartoons truly worth watching on TV now.
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (best show ever)
Cat Scratch (i had low expectations, but this is actually a funny show)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
ccs1989 at 9:36AM, July 10, 2006
(online)
I think people are being too hard on this show. Sure, it's sometimes corney, but it never really takes itself seriously when it is. And those moments are few and far between. Also, the fights are excellent, the characters are interesting and a big step above normal cliche anime characters, and then there's the excellent voice acting. I mean, c'mon, Mark Hamill as Fire Lord Ozai? You gotta love that.

Watch a couple of episodes and you'll see what I'm talking about. And don't be so cynical expecting the show to be bad. It's actually really good.

I don't think there's any other animated show that's appropriate for kids that's this good out there.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
Huxley at 11:14AM, July 10, 2006
(offline)
Yeah, I like the avatar and I'ma watch it. That show is pretty darn good to me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Mimarin at 2:24PM, July 10, 2006
(offline)
I've seen avatar a bit, personally if I had the option of watching avatar or sitting in silence for half and hour I would choose the later.
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Huxley at 8:05PM, July 10, 2006
(offline)
Tater Salad
Art quality does not define greatness. You shoudl know this, and I'm ashamed you didn't realize it, IJ. ATHF is crappily animated, but it's just so goddamned funny, and every line is a wonderful quote.

“He can't fix that car. And should he be using a saw?”
“Well, not a plastic one.”
“I KNEW IT! YOU NEED THIS DRILL! *runs out with a plastic Fisher Price drill, throws it on the ground, and it explodes*”

Hah, ATHF funny my left and (partially) my right ass cheek. The thing is corney as hell. As Mimarin would do with avatar (sit in silence for 30 minutes) I would do with ATHF. Hell, I might even eat eggs while I wait (which I am very allergic to so I probably would get an allergice reaction, get my neck so puffed up that I wouldn't be able to breath, then slowly die).
Huxley at 7:23AM, July 11, 2006
(offline)
equinox
Huxley
Hah, ATHF funny my left and (partially) my right ass cheek. The thing is corney as hell. As Mimarin would do with avatar (sit in silence for 30 minutes) I would do with ATHF. Hell, I might even eat eggs while I wait (which I am very allergic to so I probably would get an allergice reaction, get my neck so puffed up that I wouldn't be able to breath, then slowly die).

You must have never watched it before. Rent a few dvds of it, let go of your stuck up “Evaryfing mus maik sens an haf gud artwork!” attitude, and prepare to laugh.

Yes, I have watched it before and I think it's garbage. Who said I think everything must make sense and have good artwork? It's not my fault that the show is a piece of trash. I'd rather watch Family Guy or even Futurama compared to that crap. Now those shows are what I find funny.
isukun at 7:52AM, July 11, 2006
(online)
Watch a couple of episodes and you'll see what I'm talking about. And don't be so cynical expecting the show to be bad. It's actually really good.

I've watched a few episodes (as in more than 2) and I went in expecting it to be good. I generally give animation the benefit of the doubt before I watch it. With all the praise I've seen this series get, I was actually quite surprised it is as bad as it is.

ccs1989 at 2:03PM, July 11, 2006
(online)
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine?

Anyway, it's obvious we all have conflicting views on this show, and this topic was just to let people know about the new episodes, so let's just let the brewing debate die right here.

ccs1989 at 4:31PM, July 11, 2006
(online)
Well, you're all entitled to your own opinions, but try not to ruin the show for those of us who like it by being so overly vehement against it. I think the writing is clever and funny and the plot moves at a quick enough pace to warrent attention. The creators have already said that the final showdown will be in Season 3, meaning that a lot is going to happen between now and then. What's nice about Avatar is that it lets the characters evolve, not only in powers but in personality, instead of letting their personalities lie stagnant like a lot of anime shows do (coughNarutocough).

And Mark Hamill's in it.

Huxley at 7:30PM, July 11, 2006
(offline)
And why's that? Isn't that like someone posting in HELWID with a CRIT in the title then getting pissed when someone says the comic sucks?

Good point.
isukun at 8:40AM, July 12, 2006
(online)
And Mark Hamill's in it.

One good voice actor doesn't make up for a cast that is otherwise pretty mediocre. Granted it is better than anime dubbing (not a difficult task, really), but it isn't the best voice work I've heard in an American animation.

ccs1989 at 8:42AM, July 12, 2006
(online)
Yeah, all of the DC Animated Universe cartoons have had better dubbing, but still Avatar's dubbing is good by my standards.

ccs1989 at 8:21AM, July 13, 2006
(online)
mlai
When someone makes a thread about a cartoon, and a bunch of aficionados come out of the woodwork vehemently blasting it, then you know the show is worth watching. :-)

I consider myself somewhat of an aficionado, but I still think Avatar is great.

By the way, that one hour show is tomorrow, 8 o'clock. Tune in then!

RidleyReaper at 11:31AM, July 13, 2006
(offline)
Sorry. I'd rather watch the paint we just layered on my bedroom walls dry. :shock:
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
ccs1989 at 2:53PM, July 14, 2006
(online)
Have fun with that.

Remeber, tonight. 8 o'clock.

Huxley at 3:00PM, July 14, 2006
(offline)
RidleyReaper
Sorry. I'd rather watch the paint we just layered on my bedroom walls dry. :shock:

Yeah, me TOO!!! (sarcasm is fun)

Anywho. I can't wait for The Avatar to come on.
PhatScurl at 6:29PM, July 14, 2006
(offline)
Well, i just got finished watching the Avatar “movie”, now im not gonna say i was disappointed, but the whole thing was more of a long episode than a movie, which im fine with, i was just expecting…a movie. I did find this “movie” quite funny though especially for the obscure notation of drug use.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
ccs1989 at 7:03PM, July 14, 2006
(online)
Yeah, well it was actually good that it was two episodes. I hate side plots, and this actually advanced the plot a lot. Plus showcased the new characters, like the two guys following Toff. And the cactus drug thing was hilarious.

However the ending was a real cliffhanger. I'm hoping for a new episode next friday to tie up whether they get Appa back or not. Still, finding out the fire nation's weakness is huge. Pacing and dialogue were spot on as always, and the guy who voiced that giant owl creature was awesome.

Definitly a fun and exciting two new episodes.

jalford at 2:10AM, July 15, 2006
(online)
Then again, Nickelodeon has use the movie based on the series to act as a series finale to a couple of their shows. The Wild Thornberries and Cat/Dog to name a few.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved