Debate and Discussion

solace at 7:54AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
well I don't think so, but I know some people do. The are holding protests because the movie “didn't represent GLBTs” and that in the future love will be free or some thing.

But think of all the other movies in the world that didn't have glbts.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
lothar at 8:29AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
i dunno cuz i didnt see it yet , i thought it looked lame cuz there was military dudes in it . why the hell does every dammned scifi movie have to have militaryu bullshit in it now ??? i'd much rather see a bunch a queers n lezbos than see some militarisitic propaganda thinnly disguised as “science” fiction
what about science Friction !!! there deffinetly should be more sex in scifi !! like in the days of old when kirk was always getting down with alien chicks . but now they should have a girl kirk getting busy with alien chicks !! that would be HAWT !!!

but the best scifi movie ever and im pretty sure it had some GBHLTs in it was

ZARDOZ
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
solace at 8:35AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
Avatar was actualy good, and I don't really like sci-fi

Zardoz looks like the most delightfully random movie evar.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
isukun at 9:04AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
i'd much rather see a bunch a queers n lezbos than see some militarisitic propaganda thinnly disguised as “science” fiction

Avatar was certainly not propaganda for the military. I don't really see this as a debate topic, either. The movie had all of one romantic interest in it. God only knows what the sexual orientations of all the characters were. You had some really butch ladies in there, and of the human characters only six really get explored as characters. Everyone else is just background cannon fodder. What did people expect, backgrounds littered with men making out and women grinding?

Arguing that the people of the future will be more understanding doesn't change the fact that human propagation still requires a heterosexual relationship. For that reason alone, it isn't likely that we'll ever see a day or age when the majority of people aren't hetero.

there deffinetly should be more sex in scifi !!

There was a sex scene in the film.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
kyupol at 9:06AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
Technically speaking, it was a good movie. Awesome CGI and story.

And… the usual predictive programming propaganda isn't as blatantly obvious.

*coughhumansarebadandweareallpolluters*

And the alien's religious system is based upon a hybrid of eastern, new age, and native indian stuff.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
lothar at 10:19AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
well like i said. i didnt realy see the movie and im basing my opinions on a 30 second comercial that i was only half paying attention to. but it seems to me these kind of issues about not enuf gays come from fools who want attention and are then exploited by homophobes

i just didnt like it as soon as i saw the sigorny
wever looking chick making her serious face as all the army dudes did army type stuff in cyber lala land. cant we just have some scifi thats not connected to modern day ???
isukun at 12:31PM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
*coughhumansarebadandweareallpolluters*

Which was not at all the point of the film, but it doesn't suprise me that you would think it is.

cant we just have some scifi thats not connected to modern day ???

In what sense? I think you're really misinterpreting what the movie is about. And quite honestly, all movies are going to be somewhat connected to the modern era, regardless of when they take place or how fantastic the setting. Same with all forms of expressive media.
Orin J Master at 2:46PM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
solace
But think of all the other movies in the world that didn't have glbts.

think of all the movies where focusing on the sexual orientations of a character aren't bloody important. who cares what a character that doesn't actually exist would potentially prefer in bed?

oh, right. shrill, attention whoring brats that need to make their “cause” the focus of everything so they can feel important. i hope those protesters are beaten for fostering homophobic sentiment through portraying homo/gynosexual peopel as reactionary idiots.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
mlai at 6:13PM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
1. Why are there “protests” aimed at Avatar, specifically?

2. Does this film remind anyone else of webcomics? Not the budget, but the storyline and themes…

Sci-fi epic, liberal perceptions of big business/ military, liberal perceptions of aborigines, environmental message, aliens that look anthro and ethnic rolled into 1, anthro chick alien love interest, escapism for male protagonist involving “cyber technology”.

The entire thing smacks of “James Cameron's webcomic” to me.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
kingofsnake at 7:14AM, Dec. 23, 2009
(online)
So you're saying Jake Sully is a Mary Sue?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
isukun at 1:44PM, Dec. 23, 2009
(online)
The entire thing smacks of “James Cameron's webcomic” to me.

The same could be said of ANY scifi movie in the last 30 or so years. Webcomics tend to take their inspiration from other forms of media, particularly popular media like action and scifi, and movies tend to build on what's come before. Avatar was basically a mix of past James Cameron movies overlayed on top of Dances With Wolves. I still liked the movie, but there wasn't really anything original about it.

Also, why is this topic still in the debate forum? Most people seem more interested in discussing the film than actually contributing to the topic from the original post. Shouldn't this be moved to the media forum?
Hawk at 10:01AM, Dec. 24, 2009
(online)
Without more information this ISN'T a debate topic. Even the people who saw the movie are having a hard time finding the gay themes in it.

Solace, please explain the anti-gay situation better, or I guess I'll lock the topic and people can argue the movie's quality in the Media section.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
lefarce at 1:48PM, Dec. 24, 2009
(online)
Well sexual prefrence in a character is only important when it moves the plot along in some way, or is essential to that character. Also it would probably be offensive to jam a few blue dudes making out in a family friendly blockbuster.

Did you spot the crossdressing Avatar? Hooboy, take the kids, take grandma, take the dog, you need to run (NOT WALK!!!) to this gaystraviganza of a movie!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
lothar at 11:19AM, Dec. 25, 2009
(online)
i think it would be highlarious if hollywood started going back and editing in gay dudes and tranvestites into all the old classics like Ben Hur and Breakfast at tiffanies .. just stick em in the backround somewhere like easter eggs
Orin J Master at 12:29PM, Dec. 25, 2009
(online)
Hawk
Without more information this ISN'T a debate topic. Even the people who saw the movie are having a hard time finding the gay themes in it.

Solace, please explain the anti-gay situation better, or I guess I'll lock the topic and people can argue the movie's quality in the Media section.

as i understand it, it's the fact there aren't any gay themes in it that they're protesting. they, quite literally, demand that entirely unrelated things pat attention to them or they throw a tantrum.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
PhilWrede at 12:53PM, Dec. 25, 2009
(offline)
I think some of the “protesting” is coming from this website:

http://stopavatarmovie.blogspot.com/

which is so incoherent and shabbily written that it's hysterical. Can't “SAM” stop for a second and realize that the weather affected its box office take far more negatively than the “12/18 Protest?”

Besides, anyone who's remotely familiar with Cameron's filmography should be aware of how integral male/female relationships are to his movies (whether it's overtly romantic - Terminator or True Lies - or fairly platonic - Aliens - or even hyper-romantic like the movie I don't even need to mention)…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
kyupol at 1:23PM, Dec. 25, 2009
(online)
Alex Jones review of Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Om_Myyp78

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Hawk at 1:25PM, Dec. 25, 2009
(online)
Orin J Master
as i understand it, it's the fact there aren't any gay themes in it that they're protesting. they, quite literally, demand that entirely unrelated things pat attention to them or they throw a tantrum.

Seriously?! Then this ISN'T an issue.

If somebody wants to start a thread about media portrayal of homosexuality, or lack thereof, feel free to. Or discuss Avatar in Media Discussion section if you like. But this thread itself is not the right fit. I believe I will end it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved