Debate and Discussion

BACHELORISM: The "disease" (*cough*)
kyupol at 2:37PM, Dec. 16, 2006
(offline)
http://www.sys-con.com/read/235454.htm

Man… whoever wrote this article needs to have his/her/its head examined (unless this was meant to be a joke).

How can bachelorism be a disease. Its a good thing. The media is fucked up. Whoever says that bachelors are “losers” is screwed up in the head. Whoever says that bachelors should be jealous of all the married folk and couples is fucking blind. And here's the catch. Whoever becomes “jealous” of married folk and couples but is unable to “cure” himself of bachelorism is a loser//whiner//emo//fag//whatever-insult-your-small-brain-can-think-of. Therefore creating a perpetual cycle of guilt and inferiority that shouldnt be there in the first place.

Once I broke free of that perpetual cycle of guilt and inferiority that I shouldnt have been whining about in the first place, my motivation in life skyrocketed by 300% at least. And at the rate I'm going, in 5 years time, I would be a successful man and the envy of all the married folk I know. And if I reach that peak of my earning power, I intend to maintain my status until (early) retirement!

Look at the advantages of being a bachelor:

1) No risk of child support and alimony payments.
2) Richer and more successful.
3) Freedom.

So tell me. Is bachelorism a “disease”? Or is the cure worse than the disease? :)

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
mapaghimagsik at 2:44PM, Dec. 16, 2006
(offline)
Gracious. Even a quick scan of the articles and the other articles on site would lead you to believe its pretty tongue in cheek.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
lothar at 4:09PM, Dec. 16, 2006
(online)
that article is just PATHETIC !!!!
but, i guess this can be a debate ..
this idea that not being married or having a partner(whatever) is some kind of disfunction is just STUPID. this rush to get people all matched up sounds like the Mormon churchs idea that a man over 24 who is not married is a manace to society ! Ok, yea , and what about all these people who get married when they are to immature to understand what they are getting into ?
i think marriage is prolly a good thing for people over thirty, i can give you something interesting to do after everything else has gotten boring.
realy , do you want to be the succesfull 40 year old buisiness man who buys his cat birthday presents ?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Aurora Moon at 1:02AM, Dec. 17, 2006
(offline)
whenever that article is for real or not, there are actually people out there that thinks this way… even for Balchorettes…

every time I even say that I don't plan on getting Married, EVER, the people are like: “Heh, I'm sure you'll change your mind later on in life!”

and they're so insistent that I will change my mind later on…
(in sterotypical mafia voice) uh, why do you care so much, huh? And how do you know I will…. can you look into my future,huh?

(normal voice) and I'm not the type to change my mind about things. when I dedice on something, I usually did a lot of study and hours of thinking upon the subject such as weighting the pros and the cons beforehand before making my mind about something. ETC, that sort of thing.
also, I'm an girl who knows what she wants, what she likes, and there's hardly any mind-changing going on. in fact I can't even remember anything important that I ever changed my mind on, ever.

hell, I dediced that I was gonna be an artist/writer when I was like 5 years old, and look at me now.. an artist and a writer too to boot. I didn't change my mind about that unlike what those “carrer counselors” people told me before I got into college.. they were like “oh, but you certainly may change your mind… it happens all the time!” they were kinda incredulous about the artist and writer thing… like it was a bad thing. shows them, huh?

So… I'm not fucking changing my mind on that marriage shit. Yeah, I'll get a boyfriend .. or maybe an girlfriend, but we can just stay together in one house for a long time and pretend to be married or something.. without actually getting that liscense and shit.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
mapaghimagsik at 1:05AM, Dec. 17, 2006
(offline)
Marriage pressure is definitely more on women. If we're not someone's property (being our own property doesn't count) we're nobody.

I call Shenanegans at the whole marriage thing. Shenanegans!
lothar at 4:08AM, Dec. 17, 2006
(online)
its not about “marriage” so much as it's about PRODUCING OFFSPRING !!!!
people who get old and don't have any kids are just weird ! how many old people do you know that never had kids or were never married ? maybe you don't know any old people !

seriously , unless you can go on and be super famous off of art or writing or whatever, than what are you gunna have when you get old ?
prolly a 50% chance you outlive your BF/GF
outlive half of your freinds
most of your pets
BUT most people do not outlive their children / grandchildren !
thats what its all about, you think you're tough now , just wait …
Aurora Moon at 8:28AM, Dec. 17, 2006
(offline)
that's true. but people can produce offspring without being married. heck, it happens all the time….
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
mapaghimagsik at 8:41AM, Dec. 17, 2006
(offline)
lothar
its not about “marriage” so much as it's about PRODUCING OFFSPRING !!!!
people who get old and don't have any kids are just weird ! how many old people do you know that never had kids or were never married ? maybe you don't know any old people !

seriously , unless you can go on and be super famous off of art or writing or whatever, than what are you gunna have when you get old ?
prolly a 50% chance you outlive your BF/GF
outlive half of your freinds
most of your pets
BUT most people do not outlive their children / grandchildren !
thats what its all about, you think you're tough now , just wait …

I guess you don't know many old people. Are we talking 50? 60? 70? 80? There are plenty of people who enjoy very productive and happy lives without children.

A lot of what you write about reads more like fear of getting old. I think having children because you're afraid is a terrible reason to have children.

Also, there are lot of old people out there who had children, and are still very lonely. That happens too.

Having children is *not* what its all about. Kudos to those that do. Good parents are amazing. But having children because you think that's what there is to life? I shudder to think what kind of parents they turn out to be.
isukun at 11:55AM, Dec. 17, 2006
(online)
More people are getting married later these days. At least in the US. I know my past roommate couldn't believe I wasn't running around desperate to find a wife, but in her home country it was expected that you'd be well on your way to having a kid by the time you reached your mid twenties. Personally, I prefer it here where marriage is secondary to your personal goals. You make yourself a success first, and then pursue a family. It makes so much more sense on every level. Who wants to have a kid when they're young and poor? Enjoy life and what it has to offer first.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
ccs1989 at 12:23PM, Dec. 17, 2006
(online)
That's true. My parents waited until they had worked up enough money to support myself and my sister through to college, so we don't have to worry about all that stuff that kids of younger parents worry about.

Of course from a genetic standpoint it's dangerous to have kids after age 35 because of risk of genetic disorders, but as technology gets better we can avoid this more and more.

Plus there's always adoption.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
isukun at 4:02PM, Dec. 17, 2006
(online)
With all the kids who end up in foster care, I think when I get married, if such a thing ever happens, I would get a vasectomy and then only adopt rather than bring more children into the world.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
mapaghimagsik at 4:45PM, Dec. 17, 2006
(offline)
Good for you. There's a lot of children out there who need parents.
Aussie_kid at 11:39PM, Dec. 28, 2006
(online)
It's the thinking everywhere. My cousin is fifteen and every one always asks if she as a boyfriend yet or not when they see her. While yes, that is older than I was when I got mine, I still find it apalling. 15 is pretty young. Then again, in my family most people did get married young.

It's all about the people you grow up with too. For the past 12 generations, there is not one record in my family in which two people got married and the bride had been past her 21st birthday, the eldest groom in those records was 24. And it still continues today. My brother got married when he was 18. The son of my mother's cousin got married at 20. The latest wedding was the flowergirl from my parent's wedding (My father's cousin's niece). She was 19.

And when it comes to children, no family has an eldest child born before either parent turned 28

That's the attitude in my family and strangely enough, it seems to be working. Only one couple has ever gotten divorced and that was because they were done into a shotgun wedding. Having grown up with this, I often wonder what will happen with me. I always said I wasn't going to get married until I was certain I was old enough for it. My ideas, being mid twenties. But looking at how things have been, I'll probably give in and propose to Amy within the next year.

It's not just the media, family has an effect too
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
lothar at 1:42AM, Dec. 29, 2006
(online)
18 is way too young to get married ! people should spend their 20s having fun and partying a lot and playing video games and sleeping on the couch !then on the eve of ones 30th birthday they need to get married (just like in Logans Run), and emediatly thereafter start prodicing offspring !(unlike in Logans Run) this way the Earth will not become underpopulated , while still leaving a good 10 or twelve years for people to have fun and draw comics !!!!
Tantz Aerine at 9:45AM, Dec. 30, 2006
(online)
Whether ‘young’ or ‘too old’ (if there is such a thing), I would believe that marriage cannot be age appropriate. An 18 year old (very rarely, granted) may be ready for marriage because he/she has the mental age of a 30 year old. And a 30 year old may not be ready for marriage (quite often at that) because he/she is stuck in the teen years for life, mentally speaking.

My point is that marriage is a hard thing and a staggering commitment- and even more staggering is to have children. So bachelors/bachelorettes actually may have an ounce more of sense when they choose not to commit.

But Aurora, if someone, anyone, managed to have you change your mind, as they tell you may happen, it will be a very fortunate occurence: Simply because changing an opinionated person's mind on this issue probably means the prospective partner means business and makes the cut, all in the same time. ;)

Personally, I think being a single is a wonderful thing to be. It also saves on bills :p

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
mlai at 2:51PM, Dec. 30, 2006
(online)
Actually I think it is a disease. I mean, I have a traditionally great job, I'm tall and good looking, and I don't stutter or lisp or anything… but all my acquaintances are getting hitched and I'm not. There has to be something wrong with me.

I think it's just an unfortunate genetic combination: I inherited my father's inability to commit, but also inherited (from somewhere) a significant lack of hormonal drive (lust). So… don't wanna settle down, and not horny enough to get someone pregnant and be forced to settle down… I'm screwed…

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved