Random Discussion

Back to the Future starring.... Eric Stoltz?
SpANG at 10:52AM, Jan. 15, 2009
(online)
When Michael J. Fox was unavailble for the role of Marty McFly (because of his “Family Ties” obligations), Eric Stoltz was cast in the BACK TO THE FUTURE movie.

Speilberg and Zemeckis decided Stoltz was miscast and re-filmed almost 70% of the movie over nafter MJF was freed (slightly) from his Family Ties contract. This cost an extra $3 million dollars of re-shoots.

I think Eric Stoltz is great (especially in PULP FICTION. “ I've never had to give an adrenalin shot…. I've never had to, all right? I don't go joy-poppin' with bubble-gummers! My friends can handle their highs!” ) but he was definitely wrong for the BTTF movie. Would have been different though. ;)

BTW John Lithgow was first considered for Doc Brown as well!
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
kingofsnake at 12:00PM, Jan. 15, 2009
(online)
Yeah they mentioned this a little on some of the extras on the DVD. I'd love to see the first pass, just as a fan of the film. I gotta admit, Eric Stoltz looks alot more like Crispen Glover than Michael J Fox did.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Product Placement at 10:18PM, Jan. 16, 2009
(online)
Wow. I knew that Stoltz almost became the lead (and I once saw the scene where the Doc tests the time machine while he films it) but I newer knew that they'd gone this far in the shooting just to re-shoot it all over again. I guess that they REALLY preferred having Michael J Fox do it instead.

I'd hate being one of the other leading actors during the making of the film. “OK! Listen everyone! Just wanted you to know that we're re-shooting ALL the scenes where you're interacting with Marty McFly over again because we found some one better!”

Come to think about it… I'd hate being Stoltz back then. After all that work and then being cast away. And then came the sequels.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Hawk at 1:38PM, Jan. 17, 2009
(online)
Wow, no kidding. That would have been quite a kick in the nards to lose all that work you did, not to mention all of the fame, too. I've never heard of Stoltz until now. I'm glad we got Michael J. Fox, but man, I do feel a little sorry for Stoltz. It sure would be fun to watch the alternate Stoltz version.

kingofsnake
I gotta admit, Eric Stoltz looks alot more like Crispen Glover than Michael J Fox did.

I agree.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Product Placement at 2:49PM, Jan. 17, 2009
(online)
Hawk
It sure would be fun to watch the alternate Stoltz version.

It might be fun to see it but I doubt you'll get your wish. Sure they have most of the footage but they're probably missing some key moments. Also, in order to make the movie viewer friendly, you'd need to edit the footage and add in all effects and sound work. To much of a work for the film company to bother with. Besides I'm sure it would violate some contract they made at some point.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
SpANG at 6:27PM, Jan. 17, 2009
(online)
Hawk
Wow, no kidding. That would have been quite a kick in the nards to lose all that work you did, not to mention all of the fame, too. I've never heard of Stoltz until now. I'm glad we got Michael J. Fox, but man, I do feel a little sorry for Stoltz. It sure would be fun to watch the alternate Stoltz version.
From what I've read, Stolz was very uncomfortable and embarrassed by the role. It seems he felt it was silly. Out of respect to HIM, the Stoltz footage was not added to any DVD extras and will probably never be seen.

Though I have no idea what he thinks now. Hindsight and all. Stoltz definitely did not get the big comedic roles like MJF, but what he has done has quite a bit more substance. And he is still a full-time working actor, unlike Fox (because of his Parkinson's).

kingofsnake
I gotta admit, Eric Stoltz looks alot more like Crispen Glover than Michael J Fox did.
Ha! You guys probably came to that at the same time I did, the still with the hanging laundry! I will admit when I saw Stolz in the movie SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL my first thought was how much he looked like Michael J. Fox! He probably would have been a great cast for George McFly!
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved