Media Megaforum

bands you hate, songs you love
PhatScurl at 9:15AM, May 30, 2006
(offline)
Every rare once in awhile you hear this song that just kick ass and frick'n awesome. You search for days to figure out who did the song only to figure out its by an artist you have hated. I was wondering about your experiences in this area. For me it was “Come With Me” by Puff Daddy and Jimmy Page.

Im insulted that Jimmy Page, a guitar GOD, would team up with Puff Daddy but its actually turned into one of my favorite songs.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Zwuh at 10:04AM, May 30, 2006
(online)
I don't remember band names or song names, so I just pick up random whatever.
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Marl at 2:30PM, May 30, 2006
(offline)
I hate Bon Jovi, I really do. At least, I thought I did. Seems I can't help but love “It's My life”. Hate all the other stuff, but that one song's definitely one of my favourites. *shrug*
“Rawglrglrglrglrgl!” quoth the murloc, his wrath inflamed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
ccs1989 at 4:29PM, May 30, 2006
(online)
I listed to the begining of “Somewhere I Belong” by Linkin Park when I heard it on an AMV and really liked the part with no words. But then when I found out the song went past that, found who made it, and listened to it I really wondered how I could have liked anything by Linking Park. :?

I think the song's okay now, but it would be better with no words.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Terminal at 5:08PM, May 30, 2006
(online)
ccs1989
I think the song's okay now, but it would be better with no words.

That's why I love SonicStage's Vocal Canceller.

Anyways, there are many songs I like, made by an artist I hate. Like, "What It's Like“ by Everlast. ”All My Life“ by K-Ci & Jo Jo, ”Non Compos Mentis“ by Haiku D'Etat, ”The Crossroads“ and ”For the Love of Money“ by Bone Thugs N Harmony. Why? Well, both well written songs, sung out beautifully, with masterful backgrounds. The rest, well. As being rap, you tell me why.

Don't let this out, but I liked the backgrounds of ”I'll Be Missing You“ by Puff Daddy and the entire ”Late Registration“ album by Kanye West. Don't let no one know, okay?

As this John Mayer dude, I hate him so much, but his music is just so damn catchy. And yes, I would glady sing ”Truly Madly Deeply" by Savage Garden outloud in public.

Oh, and I just fucking hate Tool.

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
ozoneocean at 6:37PM, May 30, 2006
(online)
Tool's Stink Fist is a fantastic song. I've never gotten into them though… that's their only song I like.

Savage Garden had two good singles when they first came out, really 80's pop sort of sounds with cyberpunk influenced filmclips. Then they changed the clips for the American market… Made them the typical dull prettyboy stuff… and their music also changed to be more shitty and bland. And then the other guy left only leaving the one that looks and sings like a girl. I hate him. :P

Bon Jovi were ok in the 80's. I still really love that clip to Bad Medicine with Sam Kineson trying to get groupies to do the filming on handicams… (fake filmclip stuff, but still good). They were a glam metal 80's partyband. Now they're a band for middleage women. I don't like Bon Jovi.

Aerosmith had a similar path to Bon Jovi. Except they were around before them. Tyler should go back on the drugs. I hate them now, but they did have quite a few good songs even a long while after he quit the drugs, the trouble was all those movie soundtrack deals.

That is all for now.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
Terminal at 6:51PM, May 30, 2006
(online)
ozoneocean
Savage Garden had two good singles when they first came out, really 80's pop sort of sounds with cyberpunk influenced filmclips. Then they changed the clips for the American market… Made them the typical dull prettyboy stuff… and their music also changed to be more shitty and bland. And then the other guy left only leaving the one that looks and sings like a girl. I hate him. :P

Wait, "I Want You"?

ozoneocean at 6:57PM, May 30, 2006
(online)
No, I believe it was Break Me Shake Me and To the Moon and Back.

But that was a while back now… They came out in Australia first, and then relaunched themselves for the American market with a more “boyband and or music for grandmothers and women with bland taste” sort of image, different film clips followed, etc. I hate it when bands do that.

Laibach are another band I'll add to the list. They were great with their mad, heavy rock, operatic stylings. Now that electric sound just doesn't pack the punch anymore, even though the songs are ok…

Ahha, I know a good one:
New Kids on the Block! I still like “The Right Stuff”, just that one song.

wolfgang at 12:26AM, May 31, 2006
(offline)
Mr. Neil
I can't STAND Geddy Lee, .

INFIDEL!!!
;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
Terminal at 6:10AM, May 31, 2006
(online)
Mr. Neil
The Working Man by Rush. I can't STAND Geddy Lee, but somehow, he's actually tolerable in that song. And it kicks ass.

Ack, Geddy Lee is so cool. He and Neil Peart make such a good team. The progressive rocker I can't stand is Rick Wakeman. Damn, him. But I must say, I did enjoy the "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" album.

I never liked Electric Light Orchestra 2.

The funny thing is, "Bittersweet Symphony" wasn't The Verve's finest song, it was the entire Urban Hymns album. Too bad no one will ever know. When people talk about The Verve, they just remember this song, none of the other albums nor songs. Just "Bittersweet," and if you think about it, that pretty damn bittersweet.

ozoneocean at 3:25AM, June 3, 2006
(online)
OOoo, I know some more…
Black Sabbath! Hate them, because of Osborne, he's a SHIT singer. There's this funny clip on the net with this shirtless American hillbilly singing Sabbath songs. He's actually better than Ozzy. -in my opinion.
I like Paranoid and Iron Man of course, but Ozzy's voice starts to grate pretty quickly.

Metalica. I don't like them, never have. They've got a couple of ok songs, but they always seemed to me like a wannabe hardcore heavy metal band. They came along as young kids at the end of the glam metal trend and then tried to be all serious about it. I HATE rockers who take themselves seriously.
They did improve a little over the years, but they still suck.
They need arse-raping from The Darkness.

PhatScurl at 7:08AM, June 3, 2006
(offline)
Gorillaz' “Feel Good Inc.”

I really like this song…but the rest of there stuff is so much CRAP!!!!

Nothingnew “It's the end of the World”

actually i hate this song, but its very very catchy Nothingnew can just scrap the rest of their stuff
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
ccs1989 at 12:11PM, June 3, 2006
(online)
Feel Good Inc. IS good, but I like a few others of Gorillaz songs. However their worst song by FAR is “White Light”. Pure crap.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Ian Jay at 10:25PM, June 3, 2006
(offline)
Seeing as the entire vocals consist of the words “White light, doo doo do doo” whispered into a cheap microphone, I'll concur, CSS. All right, I like the bridge, but for the most part, this is the weak link of the Gorillaz' Demon Days album. (To be fair, they had much worse songs on their first, self-titled album– like Starshine and the US-release-only Dracula– but that was with a different producer.)

As for things pertaining to the actual topic… I have a sort of a love-hate relationship with metal. I like Metallica's “Enter Sandman”, but I hate the rest of their mindless drivel. Likewise System Of A Down's “BYOB”. (God dang it, why are these guys still popular?) And I like (not metal band) Del Amitri's Nineties pop hit “Roll To Me”, but the rest of their stuff just seems bland and uninspired.

And then… there's REM.

With REM, you are honestly better off getting their “greatest hits” albums, Eponymous and In Time. These single out their catchiest songs, which you might think would be bad, until you rent a non-greatest-hits CD of theirs from the library like I did. After listening to Up, Document, and Around The Sun on three seperate occasions, I am still not convinced that any of them really hold their own as records– they're more like two or three interesting songs surrounded by twelve tracks of droning guitars and Michael Stipe whining in tongues. When REM is at their best, they can be innovative and wonderful to listen to, but the majority of their work is so homogenously unimpressive (and sometimes even annoying) that it is best left only for committed fans, and not just casual listeners like you and me.

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Mazoo at 7:23PM, June 4, 2006
(offline)
I agree, Ian Jay. I recieved Document from a guy at work and I didn't like it at all. I got their Best Hits for my birthday a while back, and I enjoy that. I admit that I like their “Shiny Happy People” song, that's not on their greatest hits.

I don't like System of a Down. Too… screamish for me. But I do like their song “Chop Suey”. It's just… grown on me.

Also, FalloutBoy's newish hit “Dance, Dance.” I know, I know, FalloutBoy is so… trite and generic right now. I like their first album, but only if I'm in the mood to listen to it. (Which isn't a lot…)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Radmetalmonk at 6:48AM, July 16, 2006
(online)
joey ramones verison of “what a wonderful world” has been a fav of mine for awhile (probally just because I'm a fan, RIP joey!)

songs I hate? Many many many things, almost everything on the radio these days…seriously, fall out boy, panic at the disco, greenday, nickleback, the list goes on…they can all rot in hell. As reel big fish would say, don't make a band…

Actually, probally what I think is one of the greatest songs of all time is kind of an album (all the songs are one though, it's like a movie in a song)
Metropolis PT 2: Scenes From A Memory by dream theater…very epic, very well done, although some guitar solos are a bit drawn out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:59PM
Radmetalmonk at 12:26PM, July 18, 2006
(online)
I hate the lyrics the most…(as well as the repetive ness, those songs don't need to be that long…although yeah I listen to a lot of repetive stuff but it's not 5 minutes long). The actual music is boring and lacks well musical talent or more importantly any emotion behind it. And last off, greenday is a bunch of greedy sell outs, they even say it (not in an admitting way, more of an “we make a lot of money this way, who cares about music” way)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:59PM
Aussie_kid at 5:50AM, July 21, 2006
(online)
I didn't mind Eminem's ‘Sing for the moment’ or whatever it's called (The 8mile song I think it is. Only ever saw the trailer). Also, I hate black eyed pees, but I really like ‘Let’s get retarded'. Too bad they had to do ‘Let’s get it started'. Not bad, but still
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
AQua_ng at 9:41AM, July 21, 2006
(online)
More of a ‘Genres you hated, bands you love’.

I enjoy listening to Reel Big Fish, but when I listened to other SKA bands; I tried, oh so tried, to enjoy it, but alas: I hated it.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
nighthawk41 at 11:05AM, July 21, 2006
(online)
It's hard for anyone to like ska. Even ska fans.
Let's see here… Live and Let Die by Paul Mcartney. I used to think he was cool, but now he's a complete ass hole. I liked him better when he was in the Beatles.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/nighthawk41/BodomBeachTerrorsig.png Edited by Admin.
Please make your sig either 250 x 100 or 468 x 60 pixels. Thankyou.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
nighthawk41 at 8:00AM, July 24, 2006
(online)
Photograph by Nickelback.
Just kidding! Bwahahaha!

“I can't drive 55.” The song is so fucking true…
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/nighthawk41/BodomBeachTerrorsig.png Edited by Admin.
Please make your sig either 250 x 100 or 468 x 60 pixels. Thankyou.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
BigFishComic at 10:32PM, Aug. 21, 2006
(offline)
nighthawk41
Photograph by Nickelback.
Just kidding! Bwahahaha!

“Savin' Me” by nickelback. NOT KIDDING. and the fact that I enjoy it bothers the hell out of me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Anatak at 10:48PM, Aug. 21, 2006
(offline)
Pantera. Hate em. and yet, I like the songs “Mouth for War”, “Primal Concrete Sledge”, “Domination”, and “Goddamn Electric”… there may have been a few others, can't remember what they're called.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved