Media Megaforum

Batman:Gotham Knight Trailer
blntmaker at 9:35PM, April 12, 2008
(online)
Not sure if much has been talked about this…

This animated ANIME version of a BATMAN tale looks pretty appealing! The guy who did the voice for Batman during the cartoon heyday of the 90s is even back.

Any thoughts from you ANIME fans on the latest offering? Or any fans of the franchise.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
Hawk at 9:52PM, April 12, 2008
(online)
Just so people don't have to go looking for it, here's what he's talking about:

And I didn't know about it until just now. Is this like the Animatrix, only with Batman? It looks pretty dang cool.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
blntmaker at 11:18PM, April 12, 2008
(online)
Hawk
Just so people don't have to go looking for it, here's what he's talking about:

And I didn't know about it until just now. Is this like the Animatrix, only with Batman? It looks pretty dang cool.

Thanks Hawk :)

Kind regards,
“He's”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
Frostflowers at 5:21AM, April 13, 2008
(online)
Wow. o.O I've always been a fan of Batman, though I haven't actively tried to follow any of it (it's nostalgia talking - I read quite a few comics as a child, and saw the cartoon on TV when I was younger), and this looks pretty awesome.

Those clips from the trailer with the fighting on the train? Awesome-onna-stick, that.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Steely Gaze at 7:41AM, April 13, 2008
(offline)
Looks amazing! I will certainly be looking for this when it comes out. It looks like the sort of gritty, animated Batman we've all needed for a long time now.

Huh, I think I'm more excited for this than for the Dark Knight.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
lastcall at 8:18AM, April 13, 2008
(offline)
I loved Animatrix, and I love Batman. And I love peanut butter & chocolate. This is like a Reese Cup, if that makes any sense at all. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
crazyninny at 12:07PM, April 13, 2008
(online)
I'm really looking forward for this, I already like the feel and look of the movie by the trailer. ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
SarahN at 4:09PM, April 13, 2008
(online)
Looks good! And Kevin Conroy voicing is a double plus!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
jalford at 4:12AM, April 14, 2008
(online)
It's supposed to be a filler between Batman Begins & The Dark Knight. Scarecerow is one of the 3 villains in it, which is weird because he's supposed to also be in TDK. Apparently, Bruce doesn't bother rebuilding Wayne Manor because he's now working out of the Wayne Building in downtown Gotham.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ccs1989 at 3:18PM, April 14, 2008
(online)
I love it already.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
mlai at 10:04PM, April 14, 2008
(online)
I wonder if this will turn out like The Animatrix and The Clone Wars. As in, the animated show turns out to be better than the movie it's trying to hype.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Hawk at 10:59PM, April 14, 2008
(online)
mlai
I wonder if this will turn out like The Animatrix and The Clone Wars. As in, the animated show turns out to be better than the movie it's trying to hype.

You know it's funny, but I didn't even think about that until now, and yet it's totally true.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
lefarce at 11:48PM, April 15, 2008
(offline)
jalford
It's supposed to be a filler between Batman Begins & The Dark Knight. Scarecerow is one of the 3 villains in it, which is weird because he's supposed to also be in TDK. Apparently, Bruce doesn't bother rebuilding Wayne Manor because he's now working out of the Wayne Building in downtown Gotham.

Killer Croc, Man Bat, and Deathstrike at the other three villains in the film. Although if I recall correctly there was a brief clip somewhere of people laughing to death, which wouldn't surprise me if they hint at the Joker considering it's filler and all.

I will buy this DVD so hard with my paper money come July. That and the special edition Begins set (I don't own it yet so I might as well shell out some extra cash for the best edition I can get, I love bonuses), and at least an action figure of Bats and the Joker. July will rape my wallet something hard.

Oh, and apparently the special edition of Gotham Knight will include several episodes from the old Batman: The Animated Series show, which is pretty damn sweet for only a few bucks more.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
jalford at 3:21AM, April 16, 2008
(online)
Better than the special edition version of The New Frontier, which was $10 more and all you got was a documentary on the Legion Of Doom who weren't even in the freakin' thing! BTW, it's Deadshot who's in the movie, not Deathstroke(aka: “Slade” from Teen Titans). Although its been suggested that he might be slightly modeled after on Hush.
lefarce at 12:53PM, April 16, 2008
(offline)
Oh, durf. I got their names switched in my head thanks to the whole “death” thing. :/

jalford at 2:53AM, May 4, 2008
(online)
Cool part is that Kevin Conroy will be back as Batman. I guess Adam West was to busy dubbing for Family Guy.
jalford at 2:04AM, July 5, 2008
(online)
The DVD comes out on Jul. 8 on DVD. There's a standard DVD, a special edition, plus Blu-Ray.
Ziffy88 at 3:47PM, July 8, 2008
(offline)
mediocre.The writing was all that good and neither were most of the shorts. They had a useless female character who all she does is get held hostage. The action does not fit the Dark Knight theme. The CGI is a little more jarring with the 2D animation than in something like Hellboy or even some of the new frontier. I don't know it is okay a I guess it's just it works better by itself as 6 other interpretations of Batman instead of being related to anything else. Also I think they fixed some of the pacing issues from the New Frontier at least, still the voice acting felt rushed
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
lefarce at 4:19AM, July 9, 2008
(offline)
When I first heard about it I thought “Oh man, this sounds pretty good despite my hate of animu”, and then the more I saw of it the less I wanted. I'm not shocked to hear it's mediocre at best. I'll still probably buy it because it's Dark Knight related, but I'm going to wait till the price goes does. I may still get the special edition, if only for the extra TAS episodes that are included with it. They sound better than the actual shorts.

Ziffy88 at 3:27PM, July 9, 2008
(offline)
problem is that first short is exactly one of the episodes…only with some differences but the plots were the same. Another thing I should mention, minus the CGI the shorts do look amazing. Though some of the character designs don't quite fit. Also some of the dialog was pretty bland.

I will say this can't wait to watch the Wonder Woman movie, this one is a bit less predictable story wise for me because I don't read Wonder Woman…plus Nathan Fillion is in it!
lefarce at 4:05PM, July 9, 2008
(offline)
Are you implying one of the plots follows the same syntax as a TAS episode, because that doesn't sound too bad or shocking. Although I'll agree completely that the dialog sounds bland and designs dont fit. Bishi Bruce is just… it's not doing anything for me, neither does “potato with legs”. While the animation can be amazing, it just doesn't fit Batman at all.

Again, I'll still buy it because I am a huge faggot for TDK, as if that weren't painfully and obnoxiously obvious.

ccs1989 at 7:04PM, July 9, 2008
(online)
You're all INSANE. This is the best animated thing that DC has done since it started these stand-alone pieces.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
Ziffy88 at 11:26PM, July 9, 2008
(offline)
They have similar plots it does not sound bad in theory but when watching it and comparing the two and plus the terrible voice acting and dialog yeah…that's not good. Also CCS thanks for that analytical review. Personally I thought the previous two had done things way better than this one. I think as far as pacing and voice acting goes the Doomsday was the best at that(you had Spike in it what did you expect), but the story was very simple and light. As far as important and mature themes and best designs I think New Frontier has that, but it had problems with pacing to the point were some dramatic scenes lost their flavors plus everybody was talking speed racer fast.

This one is just different but does not really flow that well with the movies that it was supposed to be a part of. Also the cell shaded cars do not work that well and are jarring compared to the rest of the art.

Reasons why it does not go well with the dark knight
-Jet packs in the hand of a no name villain
-The shootout in Crossover
-Crispus Allen jumps a tall building to the asphalt floor and can perfectly walk after being in an explosion
-Batman's cape apparently is bulletproof but his armor isn't
-The whole antigravity bullet deflector.
-Killer Croc I'm not sure what that was supposed to be but yeah in the more realistic(granted liberties can be taken just to a certain extent)
-Lack of mentioning the Joker even though it would have been a serious case.

Reasons it does
-Arkham
-the mobsters in the absence of Falcone
-Batman character moments are actually pretty consistent with the character to the point of actually being good especially in the last two.

Look I'm not saying it's bad it's just not great for what it was suppose to be. It was suppose to be. It was meant to be a connection. This is why most of the animatrix did work. Many of there stories fits the movies universe and were related to ideas in the story. By itself if these were not connected and were just meant to be a series of shorts then yes this would have been better, but it is not and that is it's major downfall. That plus some terrible dialog and stupid moments
lefarce at 3:19AM, July 10, 2008
(offline)
Honestly at this point I'm put off by the fact that it's anime. That just doesn't really fit Batman, at least not most of the styles of anime they're using for him in this (i.e.bishi bruce). Plus no mention of the Joker? I thought this was supposed to bridge the gap between the two films. I dont know how you do that and not mention Joker at least once.

lefarce at 10:27AM, July 10, 2008
(offline)
I just got done watching it and I've chosen just to completely ignore my earlier urge to buy it. That was some pretty awful stuff.

ccs1989 at 12:38PM, July 10, 2008
(online)
I thought it was a cool film experiment. It wasn't really bridging the gap between the first two films, but at the end of Deadshot where Bruce contemplates just giving up being Batman and Alfred tells him “I'm sure you were made for something greater” seemed to be paving the way for the Joker. “Working Through the Pain” was my favorite segment. Good stuff all around.

lefarce at 2:26PM, July 10, 2008
(offline)
The first movie “Have I Got a Story for You” had the most stilted dialog. It was a good intro, but executed poorly. The backgrounds though were beautiful, my God.

The second story I just stopped caring about after they showed a cute bishi Gordon. I just left it on as background noise because I couldn't hate myself enough to care.

I cant remember the order after this, I started playing Mario Bros while Gotham Knight played in the background.

Then there was “Working Through the Pain”, which was pretty good. I enjoyed him finding the guns in the trash, I thought that was really cool. Batmobile wasn't the tumbler, which confused me, but that's very minor and not worth griping about.

And then Deadshot. Which was amazing. So amazing. I loved it so much I kept watching it over and over again. It seemed to be the only one that got the mood of the movies correct. If you're going to bridge the gap, bridge it in the same style, have it make sense. Animatrix did this, and also allowed the directors to experiment with their own styles. Gotham Knight was interesting, the styles were certainly something, but it was far too disjointed and just off to really count as canon in the Nolanverse.

It's something to hold me over till the 18th though, so I'm thankful. All-in-all I would give it a 3 out of 5. As said above, it was mediocre. Not amazing, but not really terrible.

ccs1989 at 9:42AM, July 11, 2008
(online)
Okay, so it wasn't “pretty awful stuff”. That's good that you see that.
I agree that the second segment was..eh…
The lighting in it just didn't work.

The last segment I liked a lot, but needed to be a little bit longer. Would have been nice if it was.

lefarce at 12:13PM, July 11, 2008
(offline)
ccs1989
Okay, so it wasn't “pretty awful stuff”. That's good that you see that.
I agree that the second segment was..eh…
The lighting in it just didn't work.

The last segment I liked a lot, but needed to be a little bit longer. Would have been nice if it was.

It was at first, I had to watch it again to get more appreciation for it. So no, I retract that. It's now awful, but it's still not great.

And yes, Deadshot needed to be longer. In fact, they needed to just make an hour long movie out of that and exclude everything else. I would be extremely happy with that.

jalford at 4:31PM, July 11, 2008
(online)
They didn't explain why Alfred had a mustache at the end of the 5th segment, and then in the 6th one he didn't. Plus, the Batmobile in the 5th one was clearly the one from the first 2 Michael Keaton B-man flicks and not the Tankmobile(tankin' around town!). They also didn't explain why the Batsuit changed in every chapter. I wouldn't count the first one since it's all from the perspective from those skateboarding crackheads, but the Kia Asamiya-inspired one from part 2, the Gatchaman one on part 3(granted, it was using a special gizmo that might have been in a totally different suit), the Michael Keaton-looking one in part 4, the X-Men looking one in part 5, and the Vampire Hunter D getup in the last bit.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved