Media Megaforum

Battle of the Trilogies
jalford at 1:03AM, Oct. 4, 2006
(online)
Now they have the newly original/extended combo DVDs of Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings, plus the new X-Men movie box set, which trilogy do you think is the better buy?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
jalford at 3:13AM, Oct. 9, 2006
(online)
The X-Men 3 alternate endings were better though. Rogue still with her powers, plus Wolverine's ending was a better bookend to the whole thing.
Rich at 6:47AM, Oct. 9, 2006
(online)
I actually liked X3. Sure it deviated from the comics, but it was alright.

And I can't say I like LOTR much anymore. I used to be a big fan until I got a girlfriend who was obsessed with that shit. Hell, as soon as she tried making me learn elvish, LOTR died for me.

So I say Star Wars would HAVE to be the best trilogy ever.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Hawk at 10:13AM, Oct. 9, 2006
(online)
I enjoyed X3 also, just because I came in with low expectations. And I realize that the movies don't “erase” the comics, which we can fall back on as the original story.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 3:11PM, Oct. 10, 2006
(online)
Depends. WHICH Star Wars Trilogy?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
theduckofanime at 8:06PM, Oct. 10, 2006
(offline)
LOTR I'd say.

X-3 wasn't horrible, but it definatly wasn't good. The alternate endings did next to nothin for me. Especially since it coulda been combined together for just one alternate ending.

The problem with X-3 to me was X men 1 and 2 were great flicks, and X-3 tried to do too much in one flick. The broother hood coulda been a flick, the cure as well, and same for Phoenix. The flick didn't have direction to me.

And if it's the NEW SW trilogy, LOTR smacks it to the ground and beats it, repeatedly.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
isukun at 4:11AM, Oct. 11, 2006
(online)
All three have their moments, and their flaws. Star Wars only ever had two good movies, the two which weren't directed by Lucas. Lucas has a tendency to not bring out the best in his actors and while the story may be his, the supplemental writers for Empire and Jedi really cleaned up a lot of the garbage dialog that could have been as bad as in the new trilogy.

Lord of the Rings has some very pretty location shots. Unfortunately, Peter Jackson isn't all that whe it comes to camera direction. He breaks a lot of cinematic rules, and not in a good way. The movies are blessed to have such a good cast and I think Peter Jackson's skills lie more with directing the actors than with editing and writing. Arwen was a horribly handled character who was forced on the audience in stupid ways. Even my sister, who has never read the books, felt she didn't belong in half of the trilogy. Her scenes drag on and don't add any real tension to the storyline. If anything, they trivialize what is going on.

The X-men trilogy had a strong start. I wouldn't really consider it on par with either the original Star Wars or Lord of the Rings trilogies, though. It is pretty a pretty typical comic book action series even if you ignore the lackluster third movie. The writing never really gets as deep as either of the other two trilogies, but it can be a bit of mindless fun when you want to watch decent special effects and fighting, kind of like the new Star Wars trilogy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Jillers at 2:20PM, Oct. 11, 2006
(offline)
Honestly, if you want to buy the best trilogy ever, I'd go with Back to the Future or Indiana Jones… but given those three options hrmmm….

I'd say Syar Wars, since both the X movies and LotR have source material tehy're based on, and you can get more enjoyment out of those (though, IMO, I thought X3 was great, if you consider it just another X-Men alternate Universe… and I do).

Though I will say LotR had sheild surfing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 3:19PM, Oct. 11, 2006
(online)
Jillers
I'd say Syar Wars, since both the X movies and LotR have source material tehy're based on, and you can get more enjoyment out of those (though, IMO, I thought X3 was great, if you consider it just another X-Men alternate Universe… and I do).

Star Wars is based on a book series, though isn't it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Hawk at 5:00PM, Oct. 11, 2006
(online)
They were previously radio broadcasts… maybe books before that? Whatever the case, there WAS source material to work from.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Pixel Filth at 5:19AM, Oct. 12, 2006
(offline)
The Star Wars OT has always been a personal favorite of mine, flaws and all.

LOTR was an interesting experience for me because while it was being released in theaters I was fairly excited for it. However, now when I look back on it or try to watch the movies I really just can't do it. With Star Wars I don't mind having it on in the background while I work, at least. If nothing else, I'd say Star Wars created a hell of a lot more pop-culture than the LOTR ever really will. Than again LOTR won awards or something, so I suppose that counts in the vein of “snooty people liked it” or something.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
Jillers at 12:17PM, Oct. 12, 2006
(offline)
Nope, Star Wars was not based on a book series. I mean, you could argue that it has its inspiration deeply embedded in almost every type of fantasy story ever written, morality play, etc… just because its a basic good vs. evil type thing going on. However, there are a lot of book out there based on the movie - the Expanded Universe.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Crazy Dutchman at 1:28PM, Oct. 12, 2006
(offline)
The original Star Wars. And I also love the LOTR-series. It's getting kind of a hype to say LOTR is overrated, I didn't hear everything good about those movies for the last few months (not searching for comments, just hearing/reading so by accident).

Then I have to say X-Men is overhyped. The first movie just isn't that great. It's good, fine, but simply not GREAT, not great at all. I haven't seen 3, but I'm amazed by how most of the people seem to love the first two movies. X2 on the other hand was kind of great, but that doesn't make the first part any better. But hey, it's part 1, and for most folks part 1 is ALWAYS better.

Well accept for Terminator and Toy Story, the public seems to like the sequels better. …weird, 'cause those are just two of the movies of wich I prefer the first part much better.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
isukun at 6:44AM, Oct. 13, 2006
(online)
Well accept for Terminator and Toy Story, the public seems to like the sequels better. …weird, 'cause those are just two of the movies of wich I prefer the first part much better.

I would have to agree with you there. I can't even imagine why people would say Toy Story II was better than the first movie. It was originally made for video, but later given a boost in the budget. Some of the weaker dialog still shows through, though, and they totally overplayed that song.
Aeon at 8:12AM, Oct. 13, 2006
(online)
Terminator 2 over 1 any day.

I personally really like the original Star Wars trilogy, and plan on picking them up on DVD… I'm not some crazy geeked out fangirl or anything, but they're fun movies. Also, Harrison Ford before he got all haggard and old. When I say the super new happy fun forever rereleases in theatres, though, a little part of me died. I don't want to see CG Jabba waddling around! I don't want to see planets all over celebrating the fall of the empire! I want to see ewoks dancing!…

Ahem. Anyway. I thought the directing for X-3 was crap, and the script was just too flawed to watch anyway, with new characters popping in and out every thirty seconds, and none of them being used for anything… Hi, I'm Arclight, you may remember me for Mutant Massacre, okay, buhbye! But I did like the first two, so that's somewhere on the to-buy list, but nowhere near the top.

LOTR is a great trilogy, but I don't feel like it has a lot of rewatchability. Yes, that's a word. It is now, at least. If I want to relive the adventures of Frodo, I'll just read the books again and save myself some money.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
jgib99 at 8:09PM, Oct. 20, 2006
(online)
I'd have to go with Star Wars OT as well. Even though I DESPISE THOSE FRIGGIN' EWOKS!!

Karen's Edge- The beginning of the wildest road trip ever!!
How Unfortunate- Coming back in mid-July!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
ozoneocean at 11:17AM, Oct. 21, 2006
(online)
Jillers
Though I will say LotR had sheild surfing.
worst scene in any movie EVER!

I'd like to see Peter Jackson do a version of Christ's Crucifixtion, where Christ swings around on the bars of the cross like an acrobat then pulls that spear out of his guts and fights Romans with it! That'd be gooooooooooood. :)

Ummm, al those trilogies are a little flat. But I do like the original Starwars movies.
Is Macross Plus a trilogy? (it's been ages since I saw that) That rocked!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
isukun at 12:26PM, Oct. 21, 2006
(online)
Trilogy implies three movies. Macross Plus was four OAVs (or one movie depending on the version you watch). I don't think it fits the trilogy classification by any definition of the word.
ozoneocean at 12:55PM, Oct. 21, 2006
(online)
isukun
Trilogy implies three movies. Macross Plus was four OAVs (or one movie depending on the version you watch). I don't think it fits the trilogy classification by any definition of the word.
No need to be a prick about it Iskun, I asked if it was because I didn't remeber. :P

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
kingofsnake at 10:17AM, Oct. 23, 2006
(online)
what about the godfather? indiana jones? back to the future?

any one of those is better than starwars or x-men, and the godfather is the best trilogy ever.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
jalford at 1:12PM, Oct. 23, 2006
(online)
There's very few anime “trilogies”. The only one I can think of is Mega Zone 23.

There's also the First Blood/Rambo trilogy. Saw is now a trilogy(until they make Saw IV). Karate Kid might count, if you discount “The New KK”. Mission Impossible is a trilogy, and will probably stay that way since Paramount fired Cruise for being such a crazy-ass. There's the Jurassic Park trilogy, despite the fact they the only show the actual “park” in the first one. There's Disney's Aladdin trilogy with Return Of Jafar and King Of Thieves. The original three Omen movies(although there was some kind of made-for-TV followup). The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live-action movies. There's also three Balto movies. The Warlock trilogy. Three Darkman films(two made-for-video). Three of Sleepaway Camp. Swan Princess 1-3. Probably more if I wanted to waste an afternoon looking up trilogies on Amazon.
Ferretshark at 4:44PM, Oct. 24, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean
I'd like to see Peter Jackson do a version of Christ's Crucifixtion, where Christ swings around on the bars of the cross like an acrobat then pulls that spear out of his guts and fights Romans with it! That'd be gooooooooooood. :)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahahahahaha…oh…my…GOD that was funny! An athletic Jesus! LOL, LMAO, ROTFL, errr…NFL….NBC….CNN….and…and….

I can picture Jesus walking up to the crucifix, chalking up his palms from a nearby chalk-dust basin (like weight-lifters use before squating 1000 kilos), spitting in His palms (and that's HOLY spit, which is where the term HOLY S*** first came from), and goes into his cross-swinging routine!

(Curious- if He were to disrobe and change into some athletic-ware before He goes into His routine, would that make Him a “CROSS dresser?”).

Ferretshark
Animator/published illustrator
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
KomradeDave at 9:22PM, Oct. 24, 2006
(online)
kingofsnake
…and the godfather is the best trilogy ever.
WRONG! Godfather is the best two thirds of a trilogy ever, the third was an ass-sucking festival.
Handshakes and mustaches are the only ways to know how much you can truly trust a man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
Ferretshark at 5:21AM, Oct. 25, 2006
(offline)
KomradeDave
kingofsnake
…and the godfather is the best trilogy ever.
WRONG! Godfather is the best two thirds of a trilogy ever, the third was an ass-sucking festival.
I agree. I have the Godfather trilogy and found the third installation to lack appeal. Now wouldn't it be cool if Al Pacino was somehow resurrected in a fourth instalment now that he has years of film work under his belt? One never gets too many mob movies!
Ferretshark
kingofsnake at 5:49AM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
Ferretshark
KomradeDave
I agree. I have the Godfather trilogy and found the third installation to lack appeal. Now wouldn't it be cool if Al Pacino was somehow resurrected in a fourth instalment now that he has years of film work under his belt? One never gets too many mob movies!

I disagree, I liked the third. It wasn't nearly as good as the second, but it was an interesting movie and a good cap to the trilogy.

I think most of the complaints people have with that film is theres some topically wierd stuff going on, but really you gotta blame mario puzo for that.
Ferretshark at 10:58AM, Oct. 25, 2006
(offline)
kingofsnake
I disagree, I liked the third. It wasn't nearly as good as the second, but it was an interesting movie and a good cap to the trilogy.
I disagree with your “disagree”. Third movie was ka-ka.

Ferretshark
kingofsnake at 11:37AM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
Ferretshark
kingofsnake
I disagree with your “disagree”. Third movie was ka-ka.

So is your face.

burn.
KomradeDave at 11:59AM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
kingofsnake

I think most of the complaints people have with that film is theres some topically wierd stuff going on, but really you gotta blame mario puzo for that.

I disagree with your disagree, but to each his own I suppose. My main problem with Godfather III was that it just didn't seem to fit with the others. The others had so much power that the third just kind of left me flat.

What about the Street Fighter trilogy? While not the greatest movies in the world by any stretch, they were definitely fun. Sonny Chiba ripping a dude's balls off was awesome!
Handshakes and mustaches are the only ways to know how much you can truly trust a man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
kingofsnake at 12:44PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
YES STREETFIGHTER TRILOGY!

Hang on…I did this print of cartoon versions of most of the main characters, for my totally unbudgeted dream serial adult cartoon series. Some of them need a major overhaul on character desgin, like I was never happy with how Masaoka came out.

Here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/33426040/?&q=the+streetfighter+sonny&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3A5
]Streetfighter thing
Such a good trilogy, frickin squee
Ferretshark at 2:58PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(offline)
kingofsnake
So is your face.

burn.
Ummmm….okaaaayyy, I'm rubber and you're glue then!

Ferretshark

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved