Media Megaforum

Battlestar Galactica and BSG: Razor
lastcall at 2:06PM, Feb. 16, 2008
(offline)
I had posted a comment about the great remake of this old series on SciFi channel on another thread, so I thought I would go ahead and make a separate thread for it, if I may.

If you're looking for a good show on SciFi, I highly recommend the new Battlestar Galactica series. You can watch seasons 1-3 on iTunes, and season 4 is coming out in March, I believe. …It is nothing like the old show in the 70s–it is soooo much better. But every once in awhile, they make nods to the old show, just to say “hey, this is where we came from”. It's cool.

What I like about the new Battlestar Galactica series is that they made it into something that could quite possibly happen in the near future. The idea that we create a race of machines so advanced that they rebel against us; the battle tactics (for example, they use real bullets–not lasers or pulse guns like all other sci fi shows)–even the warp drive mechanics they use. It's all something that could be very tangible. It almost feels like a documentary, rather than a sci-fi series–and I think that's what they were shooting for.

Here's a trailer from the first season:

They just made a new DVD movie called Battlestar Galactica: Razor, which takes place before the TV series. According to Wiki: “Razor takes place during Apollo's first days as commander of Battlestar Pegasus (during the period originally covered in the second half of season 2) and uses flashbacks to show Admiral Cain's orders during and shortly after the Cylon holocaust, as well as events occurring on the final day of the first Cylon War.”

I actually just finished watching BSG: Razor and it was very good. It's actually imperative to the BSG fan that Razor is viewed, specifically for one reason: It is revealed by a cylon hybrid that Kara Thrace/Starbuck will be the “harbinger of death” for all of humanity. So when we see her reappear at the season 3 finale…is she a ghost? A cylon? When she takes everyone to Earth, what will happen? Even the actress who plays Starbuck claims she doesn't know yet…

Ozone, since you like the old Battlestar Galactica from the 70s/80s, I thought you would enjoy this clip from the BSG: Razor movie…they had flashbacks from the first Cylon war, and had old models that looked similar to the old show–they even said the same stuff:

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
ozoneocean at 2:43PM, Feb. 16, 2008
(online)
lastcall
WOW! O_O

I'll have one little bitchy whinge and say the CG animation there is a teeny bit too cartoony for me…

But YAY the cool Cyclons with the suits! The flashing eyes! The voices! Even the shp! WOW ^__^
Heh, just realised the name comes from the fact they have a single eye… huh.
Kudos to them for that nod to the past! And kudos to you for showing a clip!

-Interestingly… did you know that another show made by the same production company (I think), or even some of the same writers, “Tales Of The Gold Monkey” actually used some of the same storylines (following REALLY closely), as the Battle Star Galactica show back then? Weird because it was about an Indiana Jones type adventurer and his gang on their seaplane back in the 30's…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
lastcall at 3:57PM, Feb. 16, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
I'll have one little bitchy whinge and say the CG animation there is a teeny bit too cartoony for me…

That's the only time where they actually have the sharp camera angles and stuff–I think they do that on purpose; as a nod to the old TV series. We were laughing our asses off when we saw that, heh.

I will have to check up on Tales of the Gold Monkey. Sounds interesting. :)
isukun at 8:45AM, Feb. 17, 2008
(online)
I found Razor to be pretty pointless, actually. While it does have it's little revelation at the end, it's something that's been hinted at all through seasons 2 and 3 and will likely be a major element of season 4. You aren't missing anything by not seeing it. Everything else is just exposition of information we already knew or events that were in the series from a different character's perspective. It has a couple of decent battle scenes, but otherwise I'd say don't waste your money on the DVD or download.

As far as the series is concerned, I liked the realistic touches, but found the religious prophecies, spirituality of the cylons or other characters, the mystical pointers, and the hallucinations all kind of pull you out of that sense of reality. Some of the best episodes are when they pull back from the plot to find the Earth and focus on an individual character and their issues.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
lastcall at 9:37AM, Feb. 17, 2008
(offline)
My favorite character (so far–I'm still plowing through Season 2) is Starbuck. As bitchy as people say she is, she says what's on her mind, no matter how harsh it may be. …Which wouldn't be allowed in the military in real-life, but oh well. She's truthful, and that's cool.
DAJB at 9:23AM, Feb. 18, 2008
(online)
I wasn't especially impressed with Razor. I felt it was an okay SciFi story but with little of all the other many layers that make the series “proper” so enthralling.

That aside, BSG itself is one of the best SciFi series I've seen. Without wanting to give away any plot spoilers for lastcall, the last episode of Season 2 felt rushed and really made me fear for Season 3 … But, if you find yourself thinking the same when you get there, don't be put off. I'd rate Episode 1 of Season 3 as one of the best pieces of TV in any genre!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
mlai at 6:06AM, Feb. 19, 2008
(online)
This has nothing to do with the show's quality, but I goddamn hate the goddamn fembots. I hate them. Why? Because I want my old harmonica-sounding single-red-eye shiny-silver-steel Cylon robots back! Pissed me off that the show went from cool robots to… to… grr abused supermodels give me a f'ing break.

Somebody kill that Asian chick fembot already. She pisses me off to no end.

I agree with Isukun about the show.

But I like Starbuck (as much as I like anyone on this show). She's a messed-up hairball of spitfire and destructive spiral. Pretty cool.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
lastcall at 3:16PM, Feb. 20, 2008
(offline)
mlai
This has nothing to do with the show's quality, but I goddamn hate the goddamn fembots. I hate them. Why? Because I want my old harmonica-sounding single-red-eye shiny-silver-steel Cylon robots back! Pissed me off that the show went from cool robots to… to… grr abused supermodels give me a f'ing break.

Somebody kill that Asian chick fembot already. She pisses me off to no end.

I agree with Isukun about the show.

But I like Starbuck (as much as I like anyone on this show). She's a messed-up hairball of spitfire and destructive spiral. Pretty cool.

I agree with everything here. …And I like the guy who plays Gaius Baltar; James Callis. I think he does a good job. He looks like a deer caught in the headlights one minute, and the next he's cool and collected. It takes a talented actor to pull that off.
lastcall at 3:59AM, March 6, 2008
(offline)
I'm into the third season now–gotta say that season premiere was incredible. They created such a feeling of hopelessness and dread. The writers are doing such a great job with this show. Have they ever gotten any awards? Like best drama or anything?

I loved the part where the Galactica jumped into New Caprica's atmosphere to get the raptors in there fast, then jumped right back out. That was a great scene.
timelike01 at 1:43PM, March 18, 2008
(offline)
I may not have been paying attention, but I don't recall if the Cylons found a cure for that virus that was killing them. First they tortured Baltar thinking he had something to do with creating it, then they didn't mention it anymore. I guess Baltar cure them or some such thing.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
lastcall at 3:17AM, March 19, 2008
(offline)
timelike01
I may not have been paying attention, but I don't recall if the Cylons found a cure for that virus that was killing them. First they tortured Baltar thinking he had something to do with creating it, then they didn't mention it anymore. I guess Baltar cure them or some such thing.

Ya know, they did kind of abandon that whole thing, didn't they? I'm a few episodes away from the season 3 finale (season 4 premieres Friday, April 4! wheeee!) and I didn't see them mentioning that whole virus thing either. ….Maybe the writers decided the idea would raise too many questions, so they decided to scrap the idea.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
lastcall at 3:17AM, April 7, 2008
(offline)
Did anyone watch the season 4 (the final season!) premiere and if so, what did you think of it? …Who do you think is the final cylon? I would guess, but I honestly don't know. It's up in the air, I think.

If you didn't get to see the premiere, you can see the full episode on SciFi's website! (I wish all TV networks did this!) …Show title is “He That Believeth in Me.”
timelike01 at 7:05AM, April 7, 2008
(offline)
Yup! That episode was wicked awesome! But at the same time, I'm still perplexed at Starbuck's mysterious return. I mean, even if that was the real Starbuck returning with images of Earth, how did she survive being crushed in that alien atmosphere? Was she beamed out at the last nanosecond? I want at least a half-way credible sounding explanation for that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
lastcall at 6:44PM, April 7, 2008
(offline)
timelike01
Yup! That episode was wicked awesome! But at the same time, I'm still perplexed at Starbuck's mysterious return. I mean, even if that was the real Starbuck returning with images of Earth, how did she survive being crushed in that alien atmosphere? Was she beamed out at the last nanosecond? I want at least a half-way credible sounding explanation for that.

This website has about everything you ever wanted to know about Starbuck, and then some.

…My husband has a good theory for the whole Starbuck thing. Starbuck is like a prophet, an emissary of the gods. …And that's about all we can figure out. lol!
dueeast at 11:16AM, April 11, 2008
(online)
I have this hunch that President Laura Roslin is the final cylon, the lead cylon sleeper agent.

She's leading them away from what Starbuck is recommending. She also had that shared dream with Sharon and Six. She also got all feint right before the power went out in the fleet. Coinkydinks? I think not!

I do want to see the explanation for Starbuck's missing 2 months and the brand new ship, though!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
plas at 1:42AM, April 12, 2008
(offline)
Just finished watching episode 2 of the second season and it was awesome, man I love this show…

Not going to say anything about the episode because I really don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

oh and dueeast, I never even thought of that, that would be an awesome twist! and what you mentioned makes alot of sense.

Strangely though I don't find myself wanting to start guessing who the final one is. It's weird because normally I'm enthusiastic about trying to figure these things out before they're revealed but something about this show just makes me want to sit back and watch it unfold.
I has no picture :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
lastcall at 4:11AM, April 14, 2008
(offline)
Yeah I really don't want to guess either. I mean, I have a hunch who the final cylon is, but I'm hoping my hunch is wrong. It would be funny if they said it was some random guy who we totally don't care about. Like Hot Dog, or Man with Gun #2. …I like how there is a civil war beginning to brew within the cylons now. It was only a matter of time.

And we now know how the cylons are numbered. (We knew Six and Eight, but I don't think we knew how the others were numbered before this episode) Here is a good summary of the episode. Hooray for Battlestar Wiki!
plas at 10:49AM, April 14, 2008
(offline)
That would be awesome, I can just see it now. Final episode and “Joe Smith” turns out to be the final cylon and blows up the battlestar :P

Personally, tho, my bet is on Colonel Custard… in the Library… with the Candlestick…

heh
I has no picture :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
lastcall at 3:23AM, April 24, 2008
(offline)
Did you see last Friday's episode? Holy crap.

jalford at 3:08PM, May 10, 2008
(online)
What's gonna happen when these guys reach Earth. Are they gonna make it all retarded like Galactica 80 did and have it be one big field trip with the kids.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
nossus at 11:39AM, June 12, 2008
(offline)
Anyone watching the mid-season finale tomorrow? I hope they give us SOMETHING, because they aren't showing anymore episodes until next year…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM
lastcall at 7:42PM, June 14, 2008
(offline)
Oooh, thanks for reminding me….gotta catch the latest episode on SciFi.com…I wish every TV channel had full episodes like SciFi channel has on their website. It's great. I don't even need cable; I just watch it on the Internet. Gotta love it.

EDIT: My husband found out that wasn't the mid-season finale…apparently they are giving us one more episode this Friday (6/20). Which is good, because last week's episode was nothing special. :)
lastcall at 4:18AM, June 23, 2008
(offline)
Did anyone watch the mid-season finale? It was pretty cool.

They finally got to earth, but it wasn't what they were expecting….All of that war and bloodshed, and finally allying with the cylons so they can get to Earth, brings them to this:

….A post-nuclear planet. …I heard that they were saving this episode for a possibility if the writier's strike was going to end the season, but it looks like they used it for the mid-season finale. So what will happen for the rest of the season? They will try to find out the final fifth cylon, maybe? Only Deanna knows who he/she is. The producers have said it isn't anyone of great importance, like Rosalyn or Lee or the Admiral or Bhaltar. …So who could it be?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved