Media Megaforum

Beast Wars
LowResAtari at 1:52PM, May 23, 2006
(online)
Did anyone else besides me ever used to watch that show?

I miss it a lot D:
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:47PM
ozoneocean at 2:30PM, May 23, 2006
(online)
I only liked the last series (I think it was anyway), where they were back on Cybertron (?). But I preffered Mainframe's work on their flagship product “Reboot”. That was a great show ^^

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
isukun at 2:47PM, May 23, 2006
(online)
Although Reboot sort of had the same problem. Mainframe doesn't seem to really unleash their top writers or make use of their best plot ideas until the show is entering its last season.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
ozoneocean at 3:00PM, May 23, 2006
(online)
isukun
Although Reboot sort of had the same problem. Mainframe doesn't seem to really unleash their top writers or make use of their best plot ideas until the show is entering its last season.
Maybe. But with Reboot it was the last season that impressed me enough about the show to want to actually get into it and watch all the earlier episodes, (until then I'd only seen a few and hadn't bothered). And I enjoyed the entire thing immensely.

I tried to do the same thing with Beast Wars, but found the earlier episodes just as boring as before. Was it even Mainframe that was responsible for the early Beastwars? I think I read somewhere that they only really had direct control in the last series, or something to that effect…

isukun at 3:13PM, May 23, 2006
(online)
Both series were made by Mainframe. With the first series, though, the intent was to make something to supplement the toy line. It was a typical animated commerial that wasn't supposed to have a definite number of episodes or an ending. The approach to the second series was a little different. The story and concept were finalized before production started.

ozoneocean at 3:36PM, May 23, 2006
(online)
isukun
Both series were made by Mainframe.
…Yes, I know that… But I used to be on their newsgroup quite a few years ago and I remember their spokesperson answering questions about Beastwars (her name was something like “Mari”), and she would always answer by saying they only did the animation work on the early series because that's what the client wanted. I don' think the early character designs were even their choices…
I don't know how long ago that was now. :?

I used to get a lot of interesting inside info on there. That was before they had much of a website or any projects really apart from those two shows. There's a lot more on their website now though! It looks like the series I meant was "Beast Machines" (sequal series to Beast Wars), THAT was the one that they had full control over!
I remember that now. :D

jalford at 2:34AM, May 24, 2006
(online)
Beast Wars got better as it went along for the 2nd & 3rd season. These guys followed the original 80s series pretty well, although they never explained how Starscream's ghost ended up 4,000,000 years in the past. Beast Machines started out fair, but became a little to incomprehensible near the second season. I mean, a plant Transformer?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ozoneocean at 11:43AM, May 24, 2006
(online)
I found that Lady's name! I remembered her last name was ‘Welman’, so I googled her and this is what I got:
“Director Of Communications: Mairi Welman” -at Mainframe
That was the woman who always let on about happenings with the shows (and the company) on the Newsgroup.

PhatScurl at 11:57AM, May 24, 2006
(offline)
beast war's was okay, but it would never beat the Transformer series, and yes im aware of their connection but Transformers was far better, beast machines was just an insult to the series. Reboot, i never got into
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
ozoneocean at 12:23PM, May 24, 2006
(online)
PhatScurl
beast machines was just an insult to the series.
Yeah, a lot of transformer fans say that for some reason… But I don't get it. I liked Transformers back in the 80's, but after that I wouldn't go back to the show, and I never have. At least not for more than a couple of episodes I forced myself to sit through to try and help myself remember what was so good about it. It just doesn't age well.

Beast wars seemed silly… Like it was aimed at a really young age group.
Beast Machines looked so much nicer than anything that had been done before in that group. It was far less straight forward. The characters were trying to feel their way in the world and discover who they were and why they were even fighting.
-Unlike the previous series where you have one noobish bunch of halfwits shooting at another group of noobish loons every five seconds to achieve some worthless goal that never really helps them progress at all. Always 1 step forward, 1 step back. With lots of ineffective shooting in between.

In Beast Machines they actually worked towards something and they all grew as characters.

But then, I had no loyalty to the characters from the pervious shows, so I don't really look at it the way a fan would.

SpANG at 12:26PM, May 24, 2006
(online)
Look, we all know that robots changing into cars is a much better idea than robots changing into animals. It just makes more sense, dammit!

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
isukun at 12:45PM, May 24, 2006
(online)
The original series was a mixed bag. There are some really great episodes in there, but there are also a lot of really bad ones. It's a typical episodic 80's cartoon. On some days the writers were hot, but on most they weren't. Still, I consider the best of the old series to be better than what I saw in the two Mainframe series. It's just too bad that the majority of the old series wasn't all that good.

ozoneocean at 12:59PM, May 24, 2006
(online)
SpANG!
Look, we all know that robots changing into cars is a much better idea than robots changing into animals. It just makes more sense, dammit!
We need more robots changing into lingerie…
There were never enough sexy femebots in any of those series. :(

Ah well, I liked the last series best because it hung together as a whole, not as a random collection of bits and bobs. (and for the other reasons previously stated)

Garwik at 3:34PM, May 24, 2006
(online)
Beast Wars was a good show. Do me a favour, watch every episode and tell me if you find one that doesn't have falling rocks in it. I swear there are some in every episode!

Reboot will always be their greatest series, though.

Reboot got more involved by season 3 due to the fact they cut their ties with ABC. When the show started, ABC put all sorts of limitations on the kind of content Mainframe was allowed to put in the show. In the first episode of season 3 there is a gravestone marked “Here lies the Mainframe joint venture, an unholy alliance.” signifying the companies relief to be rid of ABC.

Back in the day, my girlfriend used to e-mail Mairi Welman (who was the sister of one the shows creators, Chris Welman) all time, asking her stupid questions like how the Surfer can hear when he doesn't have ears.
Got a free poster from her, once.

An odd thing about Mainframes shows is that in Canada Beast Wars was called Beasties, and War Planets was called Shadow Raiders- this had something to do with the fact you couldn't put ‘war’ in a cartoon title here.
On the other hand, there are scenes that were cut from Reboot when it origionaly aired in the States, due to violence or more adult content.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
marine at 11:24PM, May 24, 2006
(offline)
Beast wars? More like Best Wars. Animal transformers will always kick car transformers asses back to africa where queers belong.

I liked the entire product. It was hilarious in the begigng how cheesy and commercial it was, but how it slowly became something with some real meat to it. A nice story and set of characters came out of it, and the last series really wraped everything up nicely.

At least I thought so. I thought as a whole, it was a great series.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
jalford at 2:16AM, May 25, 2006
(online)
Check out the latest Beast Wars comic book too. It brings in all the other Transformers from the toyline that weren't used in the TV series.

Also, if you can find any fansubber lubbers out there, there were two anime spinoff series. Beast Wars II, and Beast Wars Neo, plus a Beast Wars II movie.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved