Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Being frustrated... how to deal with it?
simonitro at 11:03PM, Nov. 28, 2009
(online)
This might be more psycological more than comic based but yet, it has something to do with drawing and all.

What do you do when you're frustrated from your drawing that you can't draw yet you have the responsibility to work and update?

What's even worse is that every page, I always try make it look better than the previous page but I have the fear that the next one might look worse which has been affecting me a lot.

I'm being very structural that during my work on progress, I get tired and it delays my updates. How am I suppose to deal with that?

Please, I really need help.

Thanks in advanced,

Simon

Enjoy… Las Vegas-y
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
JustNoPoint at 3:29AM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
I went through this near the end of my prologue. I was trying so hard to draw better that I actually think it made the art worse.

You should want to improve, but once you push yourself to the point where it consumes you it makes it WORK and not a hobby anymore.

My advice is to take note of different art techniques. Be sure to practice. And be sure to push yourself on each page. But don't cross the line where it stresses you out.

That's a sure fire way to burn out and get sick of this hobby. Realizing that you are setting impossible standards on yourself will help a lot. You'll keep improving over time if you are trying to. It just may not be as fast as you would like. That's okay though. Just keep at it. We all progress at different speeds.

Be sure to take scheduled breaks too. It gets easy to wander around the net or flick through the tv when you are frustrated. Keep your mind on the goal and be sure to have fun and enjoy yourself! Otherwise you can hang it up.

That's my experience here with this of course.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Hunchdebunch at 3:42AM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
About trying to make each page better than the last: It's good to want to improve, but I find that the harder I try to make a page better than the last the more likely I am to mess up. I find that often my newer pages look better than the previous ones even when I'm not aware of any extra effort. Maybe you should try to just enjoy making the page, and not worry about it looking better than the last, maybe it'll just come naturally. Either way, hope you feel better soon :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
lothar at 5:54AM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
dont even try to make every page better .. thats crazuy talk !!
you will go into a J curve of time to page relativity

wut i mean is it will take you ever longer to make pages untill you are producing one sparkling jem every six months .
not any way to make a comic

jus rememnber that comics is sposed to be about story , and i should listen my own advice

if it stress you out to draw then get busy doing other stuff in life like work or fishing , that way you can come back to drawing feeling refreshed .. back when i was not working i used to pack a lunch and go hike across the city all day and get a sunburn ,, when i stumbled back home around 3 Am exhausted and drunk , i had all kinds of ideas and burning desire to draw .
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Darth Mongoose at 7:21AM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
I used to think like this and get frustrated by it, but then I tried making print comics and discovered a new way of thinking about how I do comics. When you're drawing a webcomic, it's easy to think about pages in isolation. When you draw a print comic, however, you realise that no page is an island.
Rather than thinking in terms that a page must stand out, perhaps consider that the ultimate aim of any page should be to serve its purpose, and enrich the comic as a whole.
Imagine your comic as an orchestra. An orchestra doesn't work if every musician is trying to stand out. If the percussion are just meant to be keeping time, but they start showing off and doing fancy stuff, you end up with an unbalanced piece of work, overwhelmed by the drums. Sometimes you'll do a page and the art will be just passable, nothing special, because it's maybe just a couple of people chatting in a dark room, but it may be that the dialogue or the humour or the plot stands out on this page, and that fancy art would only detract from it. Sometimes a low key page before a spectacular one highlights how excellent the spectacle is.

A good page is a page which serves it's purpose and gets across the plot information and the emotion you want to give the reader. I personally feel that it's more important for a page to do its job efficiently than to look like the roof of the Sistine Chapel.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved