Comic Talk and General Discussion *

best cold remedies?
Dynamic at 11:35PM, Nov. 2, 2006
(offline)
so I can feel it in my bones. I'm getting my annual cold. well at least the first one of the cold/flu season. And I can't really feel it in my bones, more like just my sinuses.

I've tried everything in the past basically, and well, it's all bull-dookie. Granted, I usually never actually try anything untill it's too late, but I think I've caught it early this time…

Anyway, I'm just wondering what everyone's best cure for the common cold is because I totally cannot afford to be sick right now.

advice?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
Darth Mongoose at 12:13AM, Nov. 3, 2006
(online)
Make sure you keep your torso, particularly around the chest and mid-regions nice and warm. Drink plenty of warm drinks, and if you have the time, have a rest. Problem is that once you feel a cold coming on, there's little you can do to prevent it besides just letting yourself get over it as fast as possible.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
Dynamic at 12:24AM, Nov. 3, 2006
(offline)
luckilly I have friday and saturday off from work, and I'm planning on resting as much as possible, but in this house it's next to impossible to stay warm. maybe I'll just stay in bed all day. my bed is warm.
skoolmunkee at 1:09AM, Nov. 3, 2006
(offline)
I've always found a nice walk to be good for a cold, really. I hate staying in and being warm when I have a cold.

Lemsip is great. It's sort of like Theraflu I suppose.

Also, spicy food. Clears you right up.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Chameloncholic at 1:12AM, Nov. 3, 2006
(online)
Hot Toddy, traditional Scottish pickme up/cold remedy.

A wee dram of whisky
1 teaspoon honey (or sugar if needs be)
Boiled water
1 slice fresh lemon/lemon squash
1 pinch ground nutmeg (optional)
1 cinnamon stick (optional)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Knuckles at 5:12AM, Nov. 3, 2006
(offline)
This stuff is REALLY good. And it tastes like candy, seriously. It defintely works for me, and I'm the type that it takes literally a MONTH for me to get over a simple cold. But I take this stuff and I'm usually over it within 2 weeks or so. But I'm sure you're probably not so abnormal as I am, so it will porbably work even better for you. Note: this stuff only works on the common cold/flu, I don't think it will work if you have that type of sickness where you require prescribed antibiotics from a doctor.

…and of course, there's always the home-brewed remedy of Campbell's chicken soup with rice! ^_^

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
KomradeDave at 7:06AM, Nov. 3, 2006
(online)
Chicken, stock, potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, onion, and pequin. Let sit in crockpot for one day, throw some dumplings in there around 20 mins before you eat it. Take two bowls and call me in the morning.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: The Anti Sprite Coalition on fire off the shoulder of Cut and Paste. I watched Top Drawer glitter in the dark near the Forumhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like… tears in the rain.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
kingofsnake at 10:05AM, Nov. 3, 2006
(online)
I wouldn't know, I don't get sick. Ever. If you want to give me a cold you're going to need some kryptonite.

My left sholder hurts though. So either I slept on my friend's couch wierd or I've been having a very slow heart attack for the last 2 days (at the ripe old age of 25)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
Dynamic at 11:10AM, Nov. 3, 2006
(offline)
kingofsnake
I wouldn't know, I don't get sick. Ever. If you want to give me a cold you're going to need some kryptonite.

My left sholder hurts though. So either I slept on my friend's couch wierd or I've been having a very slow heart attack for the last 2 days (at the ripe old age of 25)

I hate you.
Dynamic at 11:12AM, Nov. 3, 2006
(offline)
Knuckles
This stuff is REALLY good. And it tastes like candy, seriously. It defintely works for me, and I'm the type that it takes literally a MONTH for me to get over a simple cold. But I take this stuff and I'm usually over it within 2 weeks or so. But I'm sure you're probably not so abnormal as I am, so it will porbably work even better for you. Note: this stuff only works on the common cold/flu, I don't think it will work if you have that type of sickness where you require prescribed antibiotics from a doctor.

…and of course, there's always the home-brewed remedy of Campbell's chicken soup with rice! ^_^

actually the bulk of a cold usually lasts a good week, and then I have this stupid runny nose for a good two weeks after.

I got zicam and it's got the same exact ingredients as coldeeze, so hopefully it'll work.
Vixus at 1:45PM, Nov. 3, 2006
(offline)
Keep your feet head and neck warm. Especially your feet.
As for a remedy, I always swallow a frog (preferably live) every morning for a month, making sure to chew it good and slow. Finally, a nice warm glass of banana juice.

If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, try a cup of camomile tea. And lots of that hot lemon flu stuff.
Tending my fruit, tending my fruit
Ah, you've got to have a hobby
A man must have a shed to keep him sane.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
Tantz_Aerine at 2:07PM, Nov. 3, 2006
(online)
Chameloncholic

A wee dram of whisky
Boiled water

This actually does work wonders. We got it in Greece, too. (without the nutmeg, usually)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Dynamic at 2:22PM, Nov. 3, 2006
(offline)
Tantz Aerine
Chameloncholic

A wee dram of whisky
Boiled water

This actually does work wonders. We got it in Greece, too. (without the nutmeg, usually)

I'm considering trying this one, if nothing else but for the whisky. I've got some calling to me just itching to be drank
Ian Jay at 6:14PM, Nov. 3, 2006
(offline)
HeadOn: Apply directly to the forehead!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Dynamic at 10:38PM, Nov. 3, 2006
(offline)
Ian Jay

isn't that for a headache?
Tantz_Aerine at 5:41AM, Nov. 4, 2006
(online)
Dynamic
Tantz Aerine
Chameloncholic

A wee dram of whisky
Boiled water

I'm considering trying this one, if nothing else but for the whisky. I've got some calling to me just itching to be drank

It's supposed to have a little shot of whiskey, ne? *chuckles* Anyway, I also thought of telling you, in case you feel a cough coming on, or fever, just before you go to bed, have someone give you a very thorough backrub with alcohol (in Greece we have a special kind that has whole peppers in, but the typical one also does the trick). Then wear really warm pj's and cover up, even if it feels like you're in an oven. (this is essential or you may end up getting the cold faster). In the morning, you're gonna be just fine.

Just remember to keep covered up. has always worked for me, along with the above recipe :)
Ian Jay at 12:51PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(offline)
Dynamic
Ian Jay

HeadOn will heal anything. ANYTHING!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Dynamic at 4:05PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(offline)
Ian Jay
Dynamic
Ian Jay

HeadOn will heal anything. ANYTHING!

will it cure aids?
kaminari at 4:27PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(online)
The Zicam that you squirt up your nose actually works really well for me, but when I got really sick last winter, I tried the kind thats on a spoon that you stir into your drink. It was gross and it tore up my stomach. Didnt help me at all.. (of course, It turned out that I had bronchitis and strep throat at the same time, so no wonder it didnt work.)

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
Dynamic at 6:16PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(offline)
kaminari
The Zicam that you squirt up your nose actually works really well for me, but when I got really sick last winter, I tried the kind thats on a spoon that you stir into your drink. It was gross and it tore up my stomach. Didnt help me at all.. (of course, It turned out that I had bronchitis and strep throat at the same time, so no wonder it didnt work.)

I've got the oral spray because the only nasal spray kind that I could find was strictly for allergies. My cold has officially hit, but I started the zicam just as it started and it's not nearly as bad as it usually is.

my problem is this is the first year I've had to work, and I can't really afford to take the time off so I'm trying absolutley everything to make myself feel better.

and for the record, I tried the whisky cure thing only with tea instead of just boiling water because I needed some caffienne and oh my god it was good and I feel tons better. it kinda gave me a hot flash and I felt like shit for maybe 15 min after I chugged it and started sweating and shit but now I feel good enough to actually get up off my butt and go do something.
herio at 1:40AM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)
you go down to your pharmacy and tell them your perblem thay gave you medicine read box in groggy felling about 3 times do that it says get on with life

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Dynamic at 6:20AM, Nov. 5, 2006
(offline)
herio
you go down to your pharmacy and tell them your perblem thay gave you medicine read box in groggy felling about 3 times do that it says get on with life

yeah wow, I think you have a worse cold than I do…

sorry but if you're gonna start out by being an ass, that's what you're gonna get in return dick-head. the pharmacy isn't gonna do shit that I haven't already done asside from try to sell me whatever they are promoting. I figured I'd ask people what works best for them for some real life testimonials jackass.

Or if nothing else for a good recipe for an alcoholic drink that won't burn your throat while you're sick.
kyupol at 4:11AM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
keep yourself WARM as possible. Especially the neck. tie up your neck with a piece of cloth. Not too tight tho… unless you have a suffocation fetish.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Knuckles at 8:15AM, Nov. 7, 2006
(offline)
won't that just trigger a fever? o.O

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
KomradeDave at 11:56AM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
Dynamic
Or if nothing else for a good recipe for an alcoholic drink that won't burn your throat while you're sick.

The Sinestro (a cocktail for sick folk)–
2 parts lemon gatorade
1 part pinapple juice
1 part cheap-ass rum
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: The Anti Sprite Coalition on fire off the shoulder of Cut and Paste. I watched Top Drawer glitter in the dark near the Forumhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like… tears in the rain.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
kyupol at 3:02PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
Knuckles

it makes you sweat. The more you sweat, the more the germs get out of your body. But once you are soaking wet, make sure you change your shirt or take a warm shower. Do not let the sweat dry up in the back.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Tantz_Aerine at 5:18PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
kyupol
Knuckles

it makes you sweat. The more you sweat, the more the germs get out of your body. But once you are soaking wet, make sure you change your shirt or take a warm shower. Do not let the sweat dry up in the back.

That's true- if you break sweat, the fever goes down almost immediately. But you do need to keep changing your wet clothes constantly and keeping warm.
Dynamic at 8:30PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(offline)
Tantz Aerine
kyupol
Knuckles

That's true- if you break sweat, the fever goes down almost immediately. But you do need to keep changing your wet clothes constantly and keeping warm.

if you can manage to artificially create a fever it will just help your body fight off something faster, unless you give yourself heat stroke.

anyways, I tried Zicam and I'm already feeling way better. this from a person who usually takes a good month to get over it and it's been a whopping 4-5 days.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon