Media Megaforum

Best Comedy Show Ever!
fern at 10:39PM, March 31, 2007
(online)
In your opinion… name the top 5 television comedies ever!

I think:

5. Scrubs
4. Curb Your Enthusiam (It's not tv… it's HBO)
3. The Office (US)
2. Arrested Development
1. The Simpsons
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
reconjsh at 10:53PM, March 31, 2007
(online)
In no particular order…

My top 3 are definately: Scrubs, Simpsons, and Family Guy. They're all so highly quotable and true “ROFL” material.

hmmm…

And Seinfeld was pretty darn good too.

hmmm…

I really wanted to be original and have unique TV shows that no one else would have, but really, it's tough to say those 4 aren't the greatest (in my eyes). That's pretty lame for a number of reasons… lol, sorry.

ATHF makes me pee a little sometimes… as does Futurama and Southpark. And The Drew Carey Show was good too for awhile. But none of those are top 5 material… plus, my list is kind of cartoon heavy.

The U.S. “The Office” is kind of lame, in my opinion. Too… something.

Oh! Three's Company was great. Cosby Show. I loved: "You Can't Do That on Television“ as a little kid. My mother and I watched the ”Dick Van Dyke Show“ a lot. Can't you tell I watched ”Nick at Night" growing up? lol.

So many…

hmm, one that not many people would list: Monty Python's Flying Circus. That definitely had its moments.

That's enough, I guess. I'm stuck w/ 4 for-sures and a whole list of “maybes”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Inkmonkey at 8:00AM, April 1, 2007
(offline)
Mystery Science Theater 3000.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Crazy Dutchman at 8:14AM, April 1, 2007
(offline)
reconjsh
hmm, one that not many people would list: Monty Python's Flying Circus. That definitely had its moments.
Wha? I've always tought lots of people LOVED it. ‘has it’s moments'? Nearly every episode is a stroke of brilliance! But it is true that lots of people are more fond of the movies. I don't, I like the series better. In that perspection the movies may even be overrated..

5.Fawlty Towers
4.My Name is Earl
3.Bottom
2.The Muppet Show
1.Monty Python's Flying Circus

But, it's hard to name 5 comedy shows, because if animation counts you get a totally different list, and when people DO add animation it's always a sitcom-like show, which would also mean that the sketch shows aren't allowed, only sitcoms.

So what comedy-animation shows are great? Well I like the humor in Invader Zim, Courage the Cowardly Dog and Powerpuff Girls, but I also adore the real ‘cartoony cartoons’ with their cartoonish comedy. Like Ren & Stimpy (maybe the funniest show ever), Spongebob Squarepants, Cow & Chicken, Dexter's Laboratory, Rocko's Modern Life, Catscratch, 2 Stupid Dogs and Earthworm Jim. And ofcourse I'm also fond of the classics in this genre: Looney Tunes and the old Tom & Jerry cartoons.
Then there are the more sitcom-like ‘intelligent’ adult cartoons: Home Movies, The Simpsons, Futurama, Duckman, South Park, Family Guy, American Dad and Daria. Maybe also Clone High which is a funny parody of the teen-highschool-dramas.
On the other hand you have the ‘idiotic’ more stupid adult cartoons (but that are also hilarious): Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Sealab 2021 and Drawn Together. And one of the few animated sketch series: Robot Chicken (brilliant! Also a lot of funny parodies).
I've still got two series left which I don't know where to put. Rex the Runt, a brilliant absurdistic claymation series by Aardman. It doesn't fit in either the ‘intelligent’ or ‘dumb’ category but it is definatly one of my favorites. The other one is Digi-Charat. HILARIOUS and chaotic Japanese cartoon. I'm talking about the old ones tough, not the panyo-panyo stuff (which aren't so funny at all(but they ARE cute!)).

In the sitcom type I also looove Scrubs! Other quite brilliant ones are Married with Children and often the family-series Dinosaurs. I also like Frasier, which is especially fun to watch as a daily/weekly show because in this one it's mostly the character-based humor that is hilarious. Sitcoms that I just find ‘highly amusing’: Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and 3rd Rock from the Sun.
Then there is Black Adder, it's hard to call it a sitcom, but it is. Fantasticly written British humor!

Sketch shows are fun to watch too. Flying Circus is with no doubt the god of all sketch shows, but Little Brittain is great as well! Great returning characters that keep being funny every time :) I also recall to have laughed my ass off with French & Saunders and sometimes The Fast Show can be funny. These are all British somehow, American sketch shows just aren't as funny.

One whole different genre is ‘dark comedy’. I totally love Six Feet Under, but it's hard to call is a comedy series, still it's not 100% drama.

And also two of my favorite comedy shows that don't seem to fit anywhere are The Mighty Boosh and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
suzi at 8:23AM, April 1, 2007
(online)
Crazy Dutchman
5.Fawlty Towers
4.My Name is Earl
3.Bottom
2.The Muppet Show
1.Monty Python's Flying Circus

I don't have the brain power right now to make my own list but BOTTOM!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
jgib99 at 9:48AM, April 1, 2007
(online)
reconjsh

I don't know. I have to agree with Crazy Dutchman here. Monty Python's Flying Circus was freakin hilarious. It's definitely my #1 pick. I'm going to have a hard time boiling it down to just five. I have a lot of faves. So here's my list of all-time fave comedies.

1. Monty Python's Flying Circus
2. Simpsons
3. South Park
4. Night Court
5. Mr. Bean

Honorable Mentions: Scrubs, Married With Children, MST3K, Malcolm in the Middle, The Munsters, and The Three Stooges.
Karen's Edge- The beginning of the wildest road trip ever!!
How Unfortunate- Coming back in mid-July!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
reconjsh at 9:59AM, April 1, 2007
(online)
I guess I listed “Flying Circus” that way because I thought perhaps people would go for more modern shows. My bad… It's one of my all time favorites too. ;)

Oh, My Name is Earl and MST3K… forgot about those ones… nice list other people!!
Neilsama at 11:35AM, April 1, 2007
(online)
Benny Hill
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
reconjsh at 2:10PM, April 1, 2007
(online)
Neilsama
Benny Hill
subcultured at 3:25PM, April 1, 2007
(online)
i can't believe no one mentioned TITUS
it's my fav

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
Phantom Penguin at 3:25PM, April 1, 2007
(offline)
I loved Kids In The Hall. Thats been off the air for awhile now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
SpANG at 6:34PM, April 1, 2007
(online)
Current Favs:
The Daily Show
The Office
My Name is Earl
The Showbiz Show with David Spade
Simpsons
Family Guy
South Park
Scrubs
Rules Of Engagement
Reno 911
Two and a half men
30 Rock
David Letterman

Canceled Favs:
Futurama
Chappelle's Show
Arrested Development
Titus
Cheers
Frasier
Kids in the Hall
Monty Python
Seinfeld
Cosby
Sandford and Son
M*A*S*H
Who's Line is it Anyway?

Current Comedy shows that I H8:
- American Dad (watered-down family guy formula)
- The 1/2 hour comedy hour (FOX doesn't get it and they never will)
- MAD TV (I's not ‘mad’, it's just stupid)
- George Lopez (dull and drab)
- According to Jim (John's Still funnier, and he's dead for 20+years)
- Naked Trucker and T-Bones (ugh. Just, no)
- Mind of Mencia (Joke stealing Hack)
- The new adventures of old Christine (I tried… but sorry, no)
- Reba (the ‘van’ character is funny, but that's about it)

Dang. I watch too much TV.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
ccs1989 at 6:57PM, April 1, 2007
(online)
Hmm…does The Daily Show count? It's consistantly funny and I like that kind of humor. I also like Family Guy, although not as much as some people.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
reconjsh at 9:20PM, April 1, 2007
(online)
subcultured
i can't believe no one mentioned TITUS
it's my fav

ya, forgot about this one.

YAY!! Netflix has seasons 1-3 on DVD. I'm putting them in my queue.
kingofsnake at 9:25AM, April 2, 2007
(online)
I own all 3 seasons of Titus!

great show
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
subcultured at 9:33AM, April 2, 2007
(online)
yea i do too
i'm still pissed at fox for canceling it

“dad is dead” is one of the best episodes ^_^
“is there no GOD!”

titus is doing stand up again…caught his show at comedy central. funny as hell guy

it's pretty cool that his real life stories (his mom schizo who commited suicide, his alcoholic dad had like 8 heart attacks)fuels his act. he said it one time in his stand up that the reason why he's not crazy from all the things that happened to him is because he is able to talk about it in front of people.

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
fern at 11:53AM, April 2, 2007
(online)
you guys are making it as if titus was GOD!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved