Media Megaforum

Best fantasy movies?
ozoneocean at 6:19AM, Dec. 17, 2006
(online)
What are the best fantasy movies that you've ever seen?
Conan the Barbarian was my favourite. Star wars was pretty good… (none of this New Hope or episode this or that crap, when it came out, it was simply Star Wars), Krull, Jabberwocky, Erik the Viking, Baron Von Munchusen(?), The lord of the Rings, The Clash of the Titans, Prince Valiant, Robin hood (with Errol Flynn), Time Bandits, Willow…
I dunno, all those are pretty good, bit I liked Conan the Barbarian the best.

What are your faves?
-It's a tricky genre, there are a hell of a lot of shockingly bad fantasy films

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:25PM
Eunice P at 6:38AM, Dec. 17, 2006
(offline)
Me like Conan the Barbarian too. Me also like Hercules series. ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
ozoneocean at 7:19AM, Dec. 17, 2006
(online)
:)

But I forgot all the Chinese and Japanese films… :( I can't remember any fave fantasies from there, but I know there are some excellent ones. European fantasy is pretty good too, especially from Itally (lots of women with large breasts…)

Eunice P at 7:21AM, Dec. 17, 2006
(offline)
Italian women has bigger breasts than American women? whoa…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
jgib99 at 11:30AM, Dec. 17, 2006
(online)
Here are my faves:

Excalibur
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Star Wars (Original Trilogy)
Dune
Jason and the Argonauts
The Adventures of Robin Hood
King Arthur
Karen's Edge- The beginning of the wildest road trip ever!!
How Unfortunate- Coming back in mid-July!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
skoolmunkee at 12:56PM, Dec. 17, 2006
(online)
Ladyhawk, and Beastmaster, and Mad Max if we're going for the 80's fantasy movie theme here. :)

Hm, what about animated fantasy? Iron Giant was awesome, as was The Secret of Nimh.

Are we talking high fantasy only here, or does that include sci-fi and any other fantasy-related mixture?
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Rich at 2:37PM, Dec. 17, 2006
(online)
Unfortunately LOTR is the only really high quality fantasy series out there (Star Wars doesn't count!). Most of the other ones are excessively corny and feature bad acting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
jalford at 11:58PM, Dec. 17, 2006
(online)
Krull, Dragonslayer, Conan 1 & 2(still waiting for 3 as in “But that is another story”), Escaflowne, Legend Of Crystania, The Black Cauldron, Ninja Scroll, Princess Mononoke, & Howl's Moving Castle.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Hawk at 1:37AM, Dec. 18, 2006
(online)
Eunice P
Me like Conan the Barbarian too.

Me like it when Arnold swings his sword and makes all those silly grimacing faces. Me laugh when me see it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
ozoneocean at 11:54PM, Dec. 18, 2006
(online)
skoolmunkee
Are we talking high fantasy only here, or does that include sci-fi and any other fantasy-related mixture?
Any fantasy! Stuff like Starwars and Dune is definitely included, but not 2001 or Star Treck…

Looks like Conan wins :)

Tantz Aerine at 2:27AM, Dec. 19, 2006
(online)
I'd vote for Ladyhawk, Willow and then The Dark Crystal.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Crazy Dutchman at 9:44AM, Dec. 19, 2006
(offline)
Totally different kind of fantasy-genres: Nightmare Before Christmas, Big Fish and Donnie Darko :D
That last one has been described often as fantasy, but the main genre is drama of course, that mixed with some mystery, sci-fi, fantasy thriller elements. Sooo good, but doesn't really belong here I think.

Er, from the fantasy-fantasy flicks I abselutely adore Willow! I've seen it so many times already, but it's still good. I also REALY like the LOTR-trilogy, but I haven't watched it in a long time….

Legend was pretty good at first, but at the end it got boring :( It could've been so awsome
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
ozoneocean at 10:41AM, Dec. 19, 2006
(online)
Princess Bride.

Volte6 at 11:02AM, Dec. 19, 2006
(online)
ozoneocean
Princess Bride.

FTW
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:43PM
ccs1989 at 1:03PM, Dec. 19, 2006
(online)
ozoneocean
Princess Bride.

I was gonna say LOTR, but that just beats everything.

http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
jgib99 at 9:56PM, Dec. 20, 2006
(online)
At the risk of being ridiculed and constantly pelted with spitballs. I submit to you-

The Wizard of Oz
Karen's Edge- The beginning of the wildest road trip ever!!
How Unfortunate- Coming back in mid-July!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
mechanical_lullaby at 2:09AM, Dec. 25, 2006
(online)
ccs1989
ozoneocean
Princess Bride.

I was gonna say LOTR, but that just beats everything.

Inconceivable!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Crazy Dutchman at 3:49AM, Dec. 25, 2006
(offline)
jgib99
At the risk of being ridiculed and constantly pelted with spitballs. I submit to you-

The Wizard of Oz
Wizard of Oz rawks :)
Glarg at 7:21AM, Dec. 25, 2006
(offline)
Alien 1, 2, 3, ah what the hell all of them!

…..either that or friday the 13th
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
Aurora Moon at 9:31AM, Dec. 26, 2006
(offline)
willow, lotr, legend and princess bride is definely great fantasy movies.

I also summit you the latest fantasy movie: MirrorMask!! awesomestuff.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
MrColinP at 2:50PM, Dec. 27, 2006
(offline)
Get ready for the best fantasy movie of the decade. Coming this January:

PAN'S LABYRINTH

The Trailer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/Q5d4f1nyLgg

This film has no marketing budget and is by the director of the equally amazing The Devil's Backbone.. and sure, also Hellboy. So go see it! Why does everyone go to see crap like Eragon and no one sees amazing stuff like this?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
subcultured at 7:23PM, Dec. 27, 2006
(online)
i was gonnna wait until it came out on DVD, cause i'll probably end up watching it more than once.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
MrColinP at 12:08AM, Dec. 28, 2006
(offline)
Why would you wait? Watching a movie on dvd is nothing like watching it in… the theater! You gotta see them monsters up on the big screen, man!
Aurora Moon at 4:50AM, Dec. 28, 2006
(offline)
MrColinP
Why would you wait? Watching a movie on dvd is nothing like watching it in… the theater! You gotta see them monsters up on the big screen, man!

in my experience, the theater sucks… sure it's great seeing stuff on a big screen.. that's IF PEOPLE DON'T GET IN THE WAY OF THAT EXPERIENCE. which they tend to do… like if you're short like me and get a seat that's in the middle… then some person that's taller than you might get a seat directly in front of yours.. blocking off your view.

or you might have some people nearby you that might be just a little bit too noisy for their own good.

or they may actually bring in children that might be prone to throwing things or something like that…..

DVD is better. especially if you happen to have an family member that has an huge, HD wide screen TV that makes you feel like you're watching it via the theater… just without all those little petty annoyances that ruins your movie experience.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
MrColinP at 2:24PM, Dec. 29, 2006
(offline)
Well, everything has advantages and disadvantages. If you hate people and want the be totally alone when you watch a movie (and some movies do require this), then no. The theater is clearly not the place for you. The theater is a different way to watch a movie. I've had some spectacular experiences watching movies in theaters. I saw The Decent in the theater, and you could feel the tension and fear of the entire audience as they jumped in unison at the scary parts. I saw Jackass Two opening day in the theater, and everyone was going crazy! When was the last time you were in a packed room with hundreds of people all screaming every minute (had a similar experience with Borat). I saw Dave Chapelle's Block Party at midnight on the opening weekend with my girlfriend. I was the only white person in an audience full of young black people (who I would normally never get to interact with) and we had a total blast.
And I don't think stupid obnoxious filmgoers are going to go see an arty subtitled fantasy film (Pan's Labyrinth). I'm counting on a great night when that movie rolls into town. If I miss out on seeing a guy shoving eyeballs in his stigmata and holding his hands up to his face to see with them forty feet tall at the local multiplex, I'll feel like I missed out!
subcultured at 3:14PM, Dec. 29, 2006
(online)
uhh..i watch my DVD movies with my friends. just cause I don't like going to theater doesn't mean I hate people. I enjoy movies with people that count, not total strangers
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Crazy Dutchman at 3:38PM, Dec. 29, 2006
(offline)
Been waiting for that movie for some time now. Over here in the Netherlands it doesn't come out till the 8th of March. Because of a weird coincidence it has the same release date as The Fountain, wich is also a giant, wicked, imaginative flick I've been waiting on for a while (but it's sci-fi).

When I see the trailer the first thing that goes through my head is “Finally!” When are people going off the standard-fantasy path, without using it only as a subgenre (like Tim Burton does) and not even making it for the kids. But maybe my expectations are too high.

I'm also waiting for the next Neil Gaiman-based movies: Coraline (animated and by the director of NBC. I'm dying to see it) and Stardust (not a kid movie, I know too little about it too be very excited, but I'm at least interested).

AND let's not forget about 9. More sci-fi than fantasy, but the combinations of great things makes me VERY enthusiastic: An animated post-apocalyptic adventure and produced by Burton. I do hope it will ever be made, ‘cause there isn’t that much info about it.

And one animated fantasy classic is still on my to-see list: The Last Unicorn. Could be very cheesy, could be very kiddy, could even be very girly, I still want to see it ^^
MrColinP at 10:44PM, Dec. 29, 2006
(offline)
subcultured
uhh..i watch my DVD movies with my friends. just cause I don't like going to theater doesn't mean I hate people. I enjoy movies with people that count, not total strangers

Ha! Hey, I really sorry man. Sometimes I get so worked up about stuff that my enthusiasm comes off as offensive. Only happens when talking about movies and comics… My main point was the first sentence of that post. They're just different ways to watch a movie and nothing is right or wrong, especially when it comes to personal taste. I'm sure you and your friends have a great time, and save some scratch too!

Crazy Dutchman
Been waiting for that movie for some time now. Over here in the Netherlands it doesn't come out till the 8th of March.

So, it's not just a name…

I missed The Fountain! Pure laziness. It looks amazing and weird and got bad reviews… what more could you want? It sure did look original, didn't it? Another mature sci-fi movie coming out is “Sunshine” or “Project: Sunshine” or something by Danny Boyle of Trainspotting and 28 Days Later fame… haven't seen a real mature sci-fi since Solaris.

Coraline SHOULD be great. Henry Selick can sure make things look pretty when operating under someone else's guidance (Nightmare, Life Aquatic) but when left to his own devices… (Monkeybone, which ain't THAT bad…)

I get the sense that Stardust is going to be a dumb big budget movie.

9! I've been hearing about that for years! Is it coming out? For anyone who doesn't know, Tim Burton is producing a movie expanding on this original short:
http://www.shaneacker.com/

Yeah, everyone loves The Last Unicorn… for nostalgic purposes only. Have to respect them sneaking breasts into a children's film though! (Boy, am I losing respect fast in this thread or what…!)
mlai at 8:19AM, Dec. 31, 2006
(online)
ARRGGH!! Pan's Labyrinth is not playing on either theatre close by, by stupid Eragon is - on both!! Stupid artless Jersey ppl!! Trailer looked so beeeeautiful…

I guess I'll eventually watch it on tape/DVD/download.

Never understood why Princess Bride is supposed to be good. Neither as a kid nor an adult did it ever impress me. The entire flick, from the dialog, to the pacing, to all the actors (except Andre), never jived with me. Maybe I have to be reeeally young to enjoy it. I'm glad Andre had something he could be proud of in his old age, though. I heard he really adored this movie he took part in.

Last Unicorn… well, it was really good back when we kids in North America had literally NOTHING in terms of serious animation. All we had was Bugs Bunny… Tom/Jerry… and… hmm you couldn't even find Peter Pan because of the stupid ****ing lawsuits. Last Unicorn and Secret of NIMH opened my eyes.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
MiniMyth at 3:06AM, Jan. 4, 2007
(offline)
Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Princess Bride, Neverending Story (just the first one), Lady Hawk, Jim Henson's Storyteller series, Mirrormask, the 2003 Peter Pan movie, and of course the Harry Potter/LOTR movies. Oh! If you like very, very strange but amusing fantasies, I highly recommend the Gormangahst mini-series. Oh heck, I'll also add Legend to the list, even though it's cheesy. I'm pretty sure Tom Cruise's brain absorbed all the glitter from that movie. It'd explain alot.

If you want to go into animation and foreign films, then there's a heckova lot more. Most things done by Hayaou Miyazaki, for one, not to mention all the Western animated films.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved