Media Megaforum

Best fantasy movies?
Crazy Dutchman at 3:17AM, Jan. 4, 2007
(offline)
MiniMyth
Jim Henson's Storyteller series
That was a good series. Sometimes even quite scary for a kid's show.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
mlai at 7:08AM, Jan. 4, 2007
(online)
DARK CITY!

One of its trailers was better than even the movie, though. Wish I could find it.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
MiniMyth at 11:49AM, Jan. 4, 2007
(offline)
Crazy Dutchman
MiniMyth
Jim Henson's Storyteller series
That was a good series. Sometimes even quite scary for a kid's show.

Hoo yeah! The greek myths version was especially good. I wonder how they roped Derek Jacoby into playing Daedelus. Although the one obout the soldier from the original series was also fantastic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Arix at 10:52PM, Jan. 6, 2007
(offline)
In my own personal opinion, the title of not only best fantasy movie but best movie of all time, belongs to DragonHeart. But that's just me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
Crazy Dutchman at 4:04AM, Jan. 7, 2007
(offline)
The ending of that movie almost made me cry :( Why did they have to give that dragon the warm voice of Sean Connery annyway? That makes it twice so sad.

I'd also like to name one bad fantasy movie in this topic: Dungeons and Dragons. Whahaha, saw a small part of it yesterday. I had readen a lot of bad reviews so I knew it would suck. At the beginning of high school I heard some people that loved the video games of dungeons and dragons, I've never played that, but I did saw the cartoon series wich I was also kind of sucky. I'm wondering now what people actually see in D&D-stuff aside from the games? That movie was simply wrong. What I saw was lots of idiotic over acting and shitty dialogs and then I saw a hilarious scene with this dwarf-like creature wich didn't say anything and was just standing there with a helmet and an enormous fake red beard and looked completely ridiculous :) Only the sets were kind of nice. The small part I saw was amusing for its stinkiness, but I'm glad I didn't saw all of it. Maybe I'll watch the whole movie someday just because I want to have seen it, but at least I know what I can expect ;)
subcultured at 4:20PM, Jan. 7, 2007
(online)
is mirrormask any good?
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
MiniMyth at 11:34AM, Jan. 8, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
is mirrormask any good?

Depends if you're a big Niel Gaiman fan or not, and if you like surreal fantasy. Cause it is VERY surreal, drawing directly from Dave McKean's art style. I quite enjoyed it. The only real downer is that much of Gaiman's dialogue is hard to hear. Somebody needed to balance the sound better! ;D Still very good, though.

And I can't wait to see Pan's Layrinth. It's coming to my city this month! Woo!
Gregory at 10:55PM, Jan. 8, 2007
(online)
How come no one mentioned regular ol' Labyrinth? It's got David Muthafuggin' Bowie! And dancing (magic dancing). And Jennifer Connelly who went on to star in other kid-friendly fare such as Requiem for a Dream and Blood Diamond.

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned any movies by Hayao Miyazaki including, but not limited to: Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. While not a Miyazaki film (is it?), I really liked Little Nemo in Slumber Land because of what a trip it was and the nostalgia.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
MiniMyth at 10:59PM, Jan. 8, 2007
(offline)
Ohhh man. I just saw Secret of Nimh again. No film bespeaks my childhood like that one. You know how you sort of forget some memories, but then something reminds you of them and they all come rushing back? Yeah. That's what this did. And looking at it as an adult, it really stands up to the test of time. I mean, hot damn, that is some quality animation there. So much nuance in the motions and attention to detail. Don Bluth is freakin' man!
mlai at 4:33AM, Jan. 9, 2007
(online)
Secret of NIMH:
I can still sing the entire ending credits song, and hum the entire symphony after the song. Not something I can normally do; not a music person.
This is the last_resort_wake-up_song I sing when I'm falling asleep behind the wheel.

Jennifer Connelly? The sssmokin' hot dame in Dark City? She's the kid in Labyrinth?

MiniMyth at 2:25PM, Jan. 9, 2007
(offline)
She is indeed, though apparently she doesn't like Labyrinth. Bah, I say!
mlai at 4:51PM, Jan. 9, 2007
(online)
Who cares what she likes? She's completely hot!

subcultured at 5:20PM, Jan. 9, 2007
(online)
ay yi yi yi
bathroom scene in “requiem”

pubes….
need I say more
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Crazy Dutchman at 8:03AM, Jan. 11, 2007
(offline)
I've been seeing ‘The Science of Sleep’ this week. It was real weird but that was what I liked about it. I did expect more of it, so I'm a little disappointed. It was original, well written and had funny stop-motion effects, but I had read somewhere that it would be a feel-good movie. It had kind of the opposite effect on me, tought it was kind of feel-bad. The music was often too sad wich made it a little to cinycal sometimes. Also I LOOOVED the ending sequence(the last scene), but I hated the ending (the way the movie came to an end). Errr, a good movie, but I won't recommend it.

And why I didn't mention the Ghibli movies was because I had already mentioned Spirited Away in three movie-topics, so I made myself shut up about it this time ;)
(still it's a grrrrrrrrrrrrreat movie!)
Crazy Dutchman at 2:51AM, Jan. 13, 2007
(offline)
And to get back to the Ghiblis again, I FINALLY saw Princess Mononoke… it's sooo great! If anyone of you hasn't seen it you absolutely should! This is true fantasy-fantasy (demons, swordfights and magic) of a very high quality. Liked it even better than Totoro :)
Mystic Hand at 2:44PM, Jan. 13, 2007
(online)
Pan's Labyrinth was pretty good. It has a cool look to it, and it uses standard fairy mythology nicely, but if you go into it expecting too much you might be disappointed. It's not groundbreaking or deep or anything like that. Just enjoy it for what it is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Wolfer at 4:56AM, Jan. 14, 2007
(offline)
Rich
Unfortunately LOTR is the only really high quality fantasy series out there (Star Wars doesn't count!). Most of the other ones are excessively corny and feature bad acting.

That's not true. The Narnia movie was very well made in my opinion.

My favorites are LOTR, Narnia, Willow, probably some more that I can't bother remembering.

Not Eragon, that's for fucking sure.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
Crazy Dutchman at 3:24PM, Jan. 16, 2007
(offline)
Saw Corpse Bride again today, liked it better than the firt time I watched it and I just tought I'd mentioned it. Beautiful, imaginative fairy tale-like story. But it could never beat Nightmare Before Christmas of course B)
Volte6 at 6:08PM, Jan. 16, 2007
(online)
Wolfer
Rich
Unfortunately LOTR is the only really high quality fantasy series out there (Star Wars doesn't count!). Most of the other ones are excessively corny and feature bad acting.

That's not true. The Narnia movie was very well made in my opinion.

My favorites are LOTR, Narnia, Willow, probably some more that I can't bother remembering.

Not Eragon, that's for fucking sure.

Hehe, I liked Eragon more than Narnia. Narnia felt a little cheesey and preachy. Eragon was fairly regurgitated but still fun enough to watch.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:43PM
Tundra at 1:46AM, Jan. 17, 2007
(offline)
Other than the ones mentioned on the first page (haven't read the rest) I like Baron Von Munchausen…
http://www.notebookinhand.com Forum for artists, writers, and other creative types.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Notebook
http://www.notnegativenews.com Get positive news here! Improve your day. Share your links.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
Wolfer at 6:22AM, Jan. 17, 2007
(offline)
Volte6
Hehe, I liked Eragon more than Narnia. Narnia felt a little cheesey and preachy. Eragon was fairly regurgitated but still fun enough to watch.

not trying to be insulting or anything, but how the fuck did you stand that garbage? Clearly you have never read the book. All of my friends who never read the book said it sucked too. The movie just sucks in every way it is possible for it to suck! I don't see how it is possible for anyone to like it…

Please don't ban me.
mlai at 9:27AM, Jan. 17, 2007
(online)
There are some movies you don't even have to watch to know they suck; you just have to see the trailers. No matter how far the trailers in question are from the truth, they can't hide the massive sucktitude of some movies.

Cases in point:
Dungeons & Dragons
Spy Kids 3
Eragon

Wolfer at 12:21PM, Jan. 17, 2007
(offline)
That is so true. Though I think that there can be made a pretty good movie in the D&D universe. As it's the biggest role playing game today, I'm sure some company would gladly churn out a couple million dollars if the script is good. It has a lot of potential, sadly there isn't too much interest in a D&D movie.
ccs1989 at 1:31PM, Jan. 17, 2007
(online)
“Dungeons and Dragons Starring…Jack Nicholson as The Wizard.”

“I cast Magic Missle! You can't handle the truth, darkness!”

“…And Morgan Freeman as the Dungeon Master…”

“It was time…for a journey. A journey…across the Icy Lands…of Antaricathica…you see a penguinorc…it is marching…”

“Also starring a midget as ‘The Dice’”

http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
beastmaster at 10:20AM, Jan. 22, 2007
(offline)
If you are counting Dark City as fantasy… shouldn't you count The Matrix too?
Anyway, I would say the best fantasy movies are, in no particular order:
The LoTR trilogy
The Dark Crystal
The Harry Potter series
Big Trouble in Little China
Dune (seeing that you also include it in this category)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Tron
And let this be the time when I finally say it, I love the first Mortal Kombat movie.
There. I said it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
subcultured at 11:33AM, Jan. 22, 2007
(online)
i heard flesh+blood was an inspiation for the manga “berserk”, so that gets a plus for me. it's a good movie and gets pretty violent and extreme in a lot of areas
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/-FvrQx48e98

i say willow even tops lotr, better characters…i'd watch willow more times than any fantasy movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/D-P03NGSP6Y
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
ozoneocean at 12:19PM, Jan. 22, 2007
(online)
Flesh and Blood isn't fantasy at all, it's historical fiction… There's a big diff; it's exactly the same as modern fiction except it's set in the past and they wear costumes. Whereas Star Wars is fantasy because it has magical made up stuff all through it. :)

But that said, Flesh and Blood was quite brutal. Verhoven is not a great film maker, I don't care what anyone says, he's a hack. But he is very good at making a certain kind of film, and Flesh and Blood is a great example of that, he did it well. And it has Rutger Hauer in it, which is good.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:25PM
mlai at 12:32PM, Jan. 22, 2007
(online)
Dark City was counted by me because it was more Twilight Zone type fantasy than true Sci-fi, unlike Matrix and Dune. Yeah Matrix and Dune are pretty out there, but not as much as Dark City. About the only thing that makes Dark City sci-fi is that it had aliens, but they were more like scary fairies than aliens.

OMG, Flesh+Blood is actually a cult movie?? It aired on HBO one late night decades ago… I thought I was the only kid who ever saw it. I was like “OMG SEX!!” And I first saw Rutger Hauer and thought he's pretty cool for an Aryan.

bluebug at 5:52PM, Jan. 22, 2007
(offline)
MrColinP
Get ready for the best fantasy movie of the decade. Coming this January:

PAN'S LABYRINTH

Man, I waited forever to see this movie, and I finally saw it yesterday. I was initially disappointed, but when I got over the things that shocked me and instead sat back and analyzed the movie, I realized it's a great masterpiece. Amazing visuals, sense of style, and powerful parallels and messages.

The other movies that top my list are Donnie Darko, Dark City and Serenity. Secrets of Nihm is definitely up there too. Same with the first Matrix movie, but then the sequels destroyed that particular mythos for me.

Does Shawn of the Dead count? Probably not, but I wanted to throw it in there.

And I love anything by Uwe Boll! Not. Just watching the trailers make me ill. They look like they were made by a three year old with a camera on his head.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:28AM
mechanical_lullaby at 4:47AM, Jan. 23, 2007
(online)
Has anyone mentioned Mirrormask yet? Because that one's great.

um… no relation to my avatar, of course.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved