Media Megaforum

Best Zombie Film
ERasER at 6:25AM, Oct. 22, 2009
(online)
What in your opinion is the best Zombie Movie? - Personally for me it's ‘Shaun of the Dead’ the very first zombie film I ever watched, and I could watch it again and again.
I did watch the new Zombieland as well and I did think it was pretty good and definitely holds the 2nd place slot on my list of Zombie films ^^
BackSeat Gamers
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
ozoneocean at 6:52AM, Oct. 22, 2009
(online)
I've seen many. Lot's and lots. They're all awful. -_-

OK, Army of Darkness was really cool. That was the best by far :)

I didn't like Shaun of the dead very much. I love Simon peg and all the rest of the actors in it, love everything they do, always have, but I thought the film as a whole didn't fit together well. Horror, tragedy and comedy mismatch. Army of Darkness is how to do it right. Where Shaun of the dead was most enjoyable was the comedy stuff with Peg and crew, if they'd have just stuck to that it would've been much better.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
ERasER at 7:07AM, Oct. 22, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
OK, Army of Darkness was really cool. That was the best by far :)

I have seen the Army of Darkness and I have to admit that it was pretty awesome and why I chose ‘Shaun of the Dead’ as my favorite is because of its comedy values, I personally thought that they mixed comedy and zombies pretty well (but that's just my opinion)
BackSeat Gamers
Chernobog at 7:59AM, Oct. 22, 2009
(offline)
Lucio Fulci's ‘Zombie’, or Zombi 2 as it can be known in the states.

Zombie. Underwater. Fighting an actual tiger shark.

Nothing has beat this.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
ERasER at 8:26AM, Oct. 22, 2009
(online)
Chernobog
That sounds Epic, I'll see if I can grab a copy from somewhere
BackSeat Gamers
ParkerFarker at 3:44AM, Oct. 24, 2009
(online)
So far there are three movies on this lest of best zombie films that I have not seen. There are only four on this list so far. I am appalled at myself.

But Diary of the Dead was good. Although I think nothing can beat the classic Night of the Living Dead.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
ERasER at 5:41AM, Oct. 24, 2009
(online)
ParkerFarker
Although I think nothing can beat the classic Night of the Living Dead.
Can't mess with the classics ^^
BackSeat Gamers
Product Placement at 11:24AM, Oct. 24, 2009
(online)
Wait, there's a discussion about the best Zombie flicks and the parody films are the first suggestions?

What's wrong with you guys?

Also, I don't understand why people keep claiming that the Evil Dead series are zombie flicks. The monsters in that one are people possessed with demons. The army in Army of darkness consisted of self aware skeletons. That's as far away you can go from zombies while still calling them undead.

I remembered a film that had such a no nonsense ending. It was the standard tale.
Zombies woke up.
Zombies ate people.
Town was overrun with only a handful of survivors remaining.

After that, the survivors managed to get in touch with the pentagon, who didn't believe them but sent a squadron to investigate what was going on over there. Once the military arrived the zombies were quick to gobble up that armor plated buffet. The government witnessed the whole act via a camera feed and were not amused. The survivors, who were still in contact with the pentagon were reassured that the military was on the case and would now take appropriate measures.
A nuke was dropped on the town.

In other news, I like to nominate Braindead. It used 600 gallons of fake blood for the production, half of which was used for the final scene which is famously referred to as “the lawnmower scene”.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 7:16PM, Oct. 24, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
Wait, there's a discussion about the best Zombie flicks and the parody films are the first suggestions?

It's not a parody just because it's a comedy. And comedies work well for zombie films because pretty much every zombie movie takes itself way too seriously.

And wait a minute, Brain dead was a comedy too. :|
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Custard Trout at 8:50PM, Oct. 24, 2009
(offline)
White Zombie.

Yes.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
Product Placement at 9:52PM, Oct. 24, 2009
(online)
Atom Apple
And wait a minute, Brain dead was a comedy too. :|
What nonsense is this. Braindead is a movie that takes itself very seriously. Take this clip for an example.

Clearly a serious film we're talking about here.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 11:22PM, Oct. 24, 2009
(offline)
I take back everything I said. I must have been confused with another movie, because this one is clearly a mastery of subtlety.

God I love that movie.
ozoneocean at 4:26AM, Oct. 25, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
Because if the film on this subject is self aware in some way as to the idiocy of the premise then it's obviously many times better than one that isn't.

(and they're not strictly parodies, as Atom explained)

That's what made American werewolf in London such a great werewolf flick. It's also got zombie things in it.

-Zombies in entertainment are a movie myth, they're all different, depending on the movie. There are no “proper” zombies, just the movie myth you prefer.

Product Placement at 6:13AM, Oct. 25, 2009
(online)
I know that text format is a terrible tool to relay sarcasm but very few people seem to be picking up the fact that I just criticized you all for bringing up funny titles, only to suggest funny titles myself.

Well at any case, I still maintain the claim that Braindead should be hallmarked as a cinematic masterpiece.

Not that Army of Darkness wasn't great. I just don't think it qualifies as a zed flick.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Dark Pascual at 1:08PM, Oct. 25, 2009
(online)
Overall, I always enjoyed the comedy Zombies more than the serious ones. I love “Shaun of the Dead” and can't wait to see “Zombieland”.

However, if “28 Days Later” counts as a Zombie Movie, that should be my favorite serious Zombie flick…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Product Placement at 1:32PM, Oct. 25, 2009
(online)
Dark Pascual
“28 Days Later”
Yeah, in all seriousness. 28 days is a pretty good zombie film. It's classified as one since it's the same premise of crazy ghouls attacking and infecting people with the same condition that they suffer from. It's also the film that popularized the concept of “fast zeds”. Now that's some scary shit.

In fact it's one of the most logical scenario for a zombie plague since it's quite impossible for the dead to actually rise from the grave. A disease that shuts down your reasoning center and activates some sort of adrenaline enraged beast within you is at lease marginally more likely.

However die hard zombie fans will deny that this is a zombie film since the people aren't really dead. Same thing applies to Zombieland.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
PIT_FACE at 1:52PM, Oct. 25, 2009
(online)
ERasER
Chernobog
That sounds Epic, I'll see if I can grab a copy from somewhere

agreed there. maby not my all time favorite zombie movie anymore, but it did have it's merits. i love fulci's work. here's the zombie vs. shark clip

and lets not for get the splinter that goes through that chick's eyeball. i also really like how the zombies looked in this one. like old dried out antique conquestador zombies. very cool.

if we're including the evil dead movies then my favorites are probably Evil Dead II and Return of the Living Dead. if ya like morbid humor then that's where ya go. Evil Dead II also had some great ideas in it cuz it's not just shit poppin out at ya, as much as it's just everything going completely wrong. Bruce Campbells desscent into insanity. make sure to grab yer pop corn.Return of the living dead is punkers getting caught in a zombie outbreak in the midle of a cemetary then having to hide out in a medical suply warehouse that supplies cadavers. this is where the infamous “Tar Man” comes from.

then of corse ya cant go wrong with the original Night of the Living Dead. and i dont just say it cuz it's “the original” or whatever. the atomosphere in this movie is the most powerful i've seen in a zombie movie, or maby even any movie period. even down to the music which is ussually nothing more then a single drawn out note. hell i think i might have to watch that movie tonight.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
PIT_FACE at 1:57PM, Oct. 25, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
I know that text format is a terrible tool to relay sarcasm but very few people seem to be picking up the fact that I just criticized you all for bringing up funny titles, only to suggest funny titles myself.

Well at any case, I still maintain the claim that Braindead should be hallmarked as a cinematic masterpiece.

Not that Army of Darkness wasn't great. I just don't think it qualifies as a zed flick.

haha1oh shit! how could i forget aobut Braindead? fucking love that movie! yer right. total masterpiece as well. also known as Dead Alive and a few other titles i think.

as for the evil dead movies being about zombies, this isnt the first time i've heard this debate. although they did feature people coming back from the dead, even more so in Army of Darkness. that entire army was raised from the dead so i could classify it as a zombie flick to an extent, but that's not what they focus on really with the movies. it's more of the demon possession side of things. eh wahtever ya wanna call em.
Product Placement at 3:21PM, Oct. 25, 2009
(online)
PIT_FACE
as for the evil dead movies being about zombies, this isnt the first time i've heard this debate. although they did feature people coming back from the dead, even more so in Army of Darkness. that entire army was raised from the dead so i could classify it as a zombie flick to an extent, but that's not what they focus on really with the movies. it's more of the demon possession side of things. eh wahtever ya wanna call em.
That's exactly what I said in an earlier comment in here. It's more about demonic possessions. And the Army of darkness featured evil spirits taking control of a cemetery which contained primarily skeletons. Self aware skeletons are not zombies. They're awesome.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Draven_Xero at 7:26PM, Oct. 25, 2009
(offline)
About Braindead…I coulda sworn when me and my friend rented it years ago, it was called something else. Memory's not perfect, but I think it was called something like “Dead Alive”. Did it release under a different name in the states, or has memory failed me here?

Either way, I prefer that, or the original Dawn of the Dead, mostly for the absurdity… like the ice rink scene. Hockey zombies, gotta love it. There was another one that I really liked, but I can't remember the title. I think it took place in a jungle, if that helps at all…a virus let out into the native population, while explorers (or scientists or something) investigate, and then try to flee…I don't remember too much more… damn I'm glad I quit drinkin' when I did.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
Product Placement at 8:05PM, Oct. 25, 2009
(online)
Draven_Xero
About Braindead…I coulda sworn when me and my friend rented it years ago, it was called something else. Memory's not perfect, but I think it was called something like “Dead Alive”. Did it release under a different name in the states, or has memory failed me here?
No you're right. The movie is also known as Dead Alive. I think it's the US title while Braindead was the international one.

I tried looking up the movie only to find out that some cunt made a low budget US based film production recently made a US title called Braindead, obviously trying to cash in on the name.

Romero's Dawn of the Dead is a frigging brilliant film. I just loved the part when they were securing the mall.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Draven_Xero at 8:44PM, Oct. 25, 2009
(offline)
Cool. Glad to hear my memory hasn't gone south on me. Thanks
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
ozoneocean at 9:28PM, Oct. 25, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
Self aware skeletons are not zombies.
It doesn't matter how they're animated, the thing is that they're dead and they're walking. All “zombie” films have their own version of the myth and science, none is definitive.
lol!

Dark Pascual at 10:40PM, Oct. 25, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Product Placement
It doesn't matter how they're animated, the thing is that they're dead and they're walking. All “zombie” films have their own version of the myth and science, none is definitive.
lol!

Then…Jason counts as a Zombie?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
ozoneocean at 12:29AM, Oct. 26, 2009
(online)
Dark Pascual
Then…Jason counts as a Zombie?
Not unless the film is thought of that way by a significant number of people. :P

If you want to think of Jason as a zombie though, that's fine. I think of him as a silly illogical film monster, so it's pretty much moot in my case. :)

Product Placement at 11:13AM, Oct. 26, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Product Placement
lol!
I don't know. I prefer to categorize them as “undead”, thus grouping them alongside zombies, vampires, ghosts and other things that used to be alive without saying that they belong to those aforementioned groups. In my opinion, zombies are a bit more specific then that. They're humans that have somehow lost all reasoning and spread their curse by attacking people. Thus I can categorize 28 days/weeks and Zombieland as zed movies.
The army of dead did not fulfill that quota since they contained possessed human remains that were self aware and couldn't turn you into more of them just by killing you.

But like I said, that's strictly my opinion.

Some people are even more specific then that. In their opinion, if it isn't like Romero's, it doesn't count.
Romero zombies are:
* Newly dead corpses reanimated by radiation, chemicals, viruses, sorcery or acts of God
* Human, although some depictions include zombie animals
* Very strong, but not very fast or agile
* Impervious to pain and able to function after sustaining extreme physical damage
* Invulnerable to injury, except for decapitation or destruction of the brain
* Relentlessly driven to kill and eat
* Afraid of fire and bright lights
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 6:22PM, Oct. 26, 2009
(offline)
The skeleton army was too organized to be zombies. Zombies are dubasses. The skeletons aren't zombies but that's pretty much a compliment.
machinehead at 7:48PM, Oct. 26, 2009
(online)
I just got done watching brain dead or dead alive for my count down to Halloween zombie movie marathon. It is such gory violent goodness. The things that man does with a lawn mower are simply great. I also love all the Romero movies, but who doesn't. Zombieland was friggin hysterical I loved every minute of it. Another couple of movies that are pretty good and pretty unknown are Undead and Dead and Breakfast. I plan on watching them later in the week.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
ozoneocean at 11:06PM, Oct. 26, 2009
(online)
lol! You pedantic penises.

OK then, the best one ever has to be Dellamorte Dellamore.
That film is pure art. Beautifully shot, the writing is self aware with delightful implicit humour, and the action is super cool. :)

PIT_FACE at 8:33AM, Oct. 27, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
lol! You pedantic penises.

OK then, the best one ever has to be Dellamorte Dellamore.
That film is pure art. Beautifully shot, the writing is self aware with delightful implicit humour, and the action is super cool. :)

ahh, that's Cemetary Man right? prepare yerself to be brain fucked with that one.
those italian directors man. they were always on some different shit, ill tell ya that.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved