Media Megaforum

Best Zombie Film
Chernobog at 9:24AM, Oct. 27, 2009
(offline)
I have to agree, Cemetary Man was an excellent film. And about as wonderfully strange as it gets.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
PhilWrede at 4:36PM, Oct. 27, 2009
(offline)
While it's not anywhere close to my pick for “Best Zombie Film,” I'm going to potentially alienate the hell out of everyone posting here and say that I think the Zack Snyder Dawn remake wasn't half bad. Sure it's a remake, and sure it's a remake of (probably) Romero's best movie, but it set out to be a fairly awesome fast zombie movie, and I think it succeeded. Surely it has the single best use of Richard Cheese & Lounge Against the Machine in cinematic history…

And while it's not a movie, I enjoyed the absolute heck out of those “Zombie American” shorts Ed Helms did on FunnyorDie.com.

Seriously, though, I'm going to cast another vote in favor of the original Night of the Living Dead. Bleak as shit wins the day for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Product Placement at 10:21PM, Oct. 27, 2009
(online)
The Dawn remake was an OK film. However I consider the original dawn to be better. Don't know why though. I figure I just liked the attitude of the film.

I recently saw the Day remake as well. Man… What a load of shit.

P.S. Has anyone seen Fido? Now that film's one crazy concept.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
PhilWrede at 12:24PM, Oct. 28, 2009
(offline)
Speaking of awesome concepts (like Fido), there's also American Zombie.

That's the great thing about the zombie movie: if you want to get right in there and wrestle with sociological concepts/critiques, you can do that, but if you just want to see people get chomped on and shot, you can do that, too. Is there a better one-size-fits-all genre?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
PIT_FACE at 2:47PM, Oct. 28, 2009
(online)
havent seen american zombie, but Fido was really cool. haha, and what about that dorky guy with his sex slave zombie?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
Product Placement at 6:49PM, Oct. 29, 2009
(online)
PIT_FACE
that dorky guy with his sex slave zombie?
I loved that guy. He was a true American hero.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ttyler at 4:52PM, Nov. 14, 2009
(online)

Don't make me choose a BEST zombie movie……but my favorite “looking” zombies are Fulci zombies. Romero's “blue” zombies wouldn't scare nobody. Walking Dead is my favorite, ongoing zombie story.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 4:58PM, Nov. 14, 2009
(offline)
…Does Pet Sematary count? It is…basically…

If not then I'd say Night of the Living Dead. I like classics. :).

If anyone says Zombieland I hate you. I haven't seen it yet but it looked so STUPID that my eyes bled in seeing the commercial!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
ParkerFarker at 9:47PM, Nov. 14, 2009
(online)
Oh Black Sheep was the sickest shit ever! zombie sheep in new zealand.

I'll let that sink in a bit…

HOW FUCKING COOL IS THAT!?

And American Zombie was good, it was a lot different to most zombie films.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
Product Placement at 12:32AM, Nov. 15, 2009
(online)
ParkerFarker
Black Sheep
Huh. I never thought about Black Sheep as a zombie film. It always struck me more as some sort of weresheep thing. But now that I think about it, I guess both classifications work.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Atom Apple at 3:25PM, Nov. 15, 2009
(online)
ttyler
Romero's “blue” zombies wouldn't scare nobody.

Actually Romero's zombies were supposed to be gray, and something about the makeup they used messed up on camera or something. I'm hoping they do a remaster of it and correct it, if they haven't already.

I Am The 1337 Master
If anyone says Zombieland I hate you. I haven't seen it yet but it looked so STUPID that my eyes bled in seeing the commercial!

Your opinion is wrong.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
kingofsnake at 7:08AM, Nov. 17, 2009
(online)
Atom Apple
Your opinion is wrong.

Makes me think of High Fidelity, every time.

Zombieland was good.

I just saw Dead Snow. It was pretty good. Not really your typical zombie movie, but still rather good.

People have been pretty fast and loose with their zombie rules lately. I think the genre has benefited from it.

I mean as long as the rules never completely go away
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
ERasER at 7:22AM, Nov. 17, 2009
(online)
kingofsnake
I just saw Dead Snow. It was pretty good. Not really your typical zombie movie, but still rather good.
Yeah I've been wanting to see that
BackSeat Gamers
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
Crimsonskystudio at 7:19AM, Nov. 19, 2009
(offline)
Zombieland was great, The Dawn of the Dead 2004 probably the best ever for me,
and I liked the 28 series (I know, not undead, but close enough)

oh and land of the dead, and diary were really good

oh and check out Outpost (kinda ghouls)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
ERasER at 1:17PM, Nov. 20, 2009
(online)
Crimsonskystudio

You obviously have good taste ^^
BackSeat Gamers
ParkerFarker at 3:16PM, Nov. 21, 2009
(online)
ERasER
You obviously have good taste ^^
haha,
Crimsonskystudio

I saw outpost and… well I saw it. It was okay I guess. But it shocks me that DotD'04 is your favourite zombie movie. I didn't mind it but I've seen far better zombie movies.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
Voltarrens at 7:36AM, Nov. 23, 2009
(offline)
Having watched many over the years, “Night of the Living Dead” & “Reanimator”
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
The Gravekeeper at 9:37PM, Feb. 2, 2010
(offline)
Man, asking me to pick favourites from one of my absolute favourite sub-genres of horror? Lessee…

The first 3 Romero films are absolute musts. You can get away without seeing the third, but the first two were landmark films that changed films in their own ways (Night deviated from the standard 50's monster movie, Dawn introduced some black comedy and helped to kickstart the gore-flicks that dominated the 80's).

“Return of the Living Dead” is another great one and introduced the whole “brain eating” thing. Granted, that makes it ironic when TV shows/movies/comics try to make fun of the genre as a whole for having slow-moving monsters that ate brains when brain-eating was never taken seriously in the first place. The first sequel's alright, too. Say what you like about the look of his ghouls, but it's not the zombies that brought on a feeling of dread and hopelessness.

“Fido” is pretty good, too, if you're into the sort of humour it presents. I personally like, most of the people I've talked to who've seen it like it, but I've heard the odd person who absolutely hated it.

Frankly, I'm surprised that somebody else has even heard of “Cemetery Man”, let alone watched it.

And if we're just including the undead, I'm gonna also include “Bubba Ho-Tep” and “Zombie Jason vs. Carrie” (Sorry, that should “Friday the 13th Part VII). Oh, and ”Evil Dead II“ and ”Army of Darkness“. Great on their own, even better when you've got at least one other person around who loves b-movies.

I don't mind some of the newer stuff; I mean, the ”Dawn of the Dead“ remake was alright and I quite like ”28 Days Later“.

My list is gonna change fairly soon since I've got a few more zombie flicks on my ”to see" list. Some have gotten okay-to-great reviews, others are said to be the sort of torture a true b-movie fan/cinematic masochist must endure from time to time to prove their worth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
Druchii at 7:31AM, Feb. 3, 2010
(online)
I'm not a fan of Zombies in movies in general, but the two movies I've liked the best have been Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
shirkersama at 4:45PM, Feb. 3, 2010
(online)
The Evil Dead movies, hands down. No competition. Bruce Campbell is a God.
Meh
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
Sea_Cow at 4:01PM, Feb. 4, 2010
(offline)
I Am The 1337 Master
…Does Pet Sematary count? It is…basically…

If not then I'd say Night of the Living Dead. I like classics. :).

Pet Sematary was great, though whether or not it counts as a zombie movie is really up for grabs.

Personally, I gotta say I liked the more modern stuff. 28 Days Later is already a classic, even though it didn't come out that long ago. I enjoyed the Dawn remake, so I'd have to put it up there too. One great indie one I'm sure nobody has heard of is “Pontypool”. It's essentially a zombie movie, only the twist is that people are infected through speech. I can't exactly describe how with out confusing myself, but go watch it right now.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Product Placement at 4:58PM, Feb. 5, 2010
(online)
shirkersama
The Evil Dead movies, hands down. No competition. Bruce Campbell is a God.
Heh. We had a big argument before about whether or not Evil Dead counted as zombie films. Non the less, you're right about Bruce.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
shirkersama at 5:09AM, Feb. 6, 2010
(online)
Evil Dead is just so bad ass that it dominates every genre, even the ones it doesn't actaully fit in to ;).
But if you don't count those Zombieland is my favorite. Of course Night of the Living Dead is also fantastic, as a billion other people have said.
Meh
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
PIT_FACE at 3:21PM, Feb. 6, 2010
(online)
oh! another good one was trailer park of terror, another one with a sense of humor, balanced with some brutal stuff, and of corse it's gotta bunch of douchebag teenagers waiting to be slaughtered. and the zombies are just fuckin lovable!haha! “awww…you hurt yer little chicken wing.” that fat lady zombie is terrifying.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
Plague Doctor at 12:22PM, June 30, 2010
(offline)
I don't know if Rec counts,but it was terryfing.
And also “Colin” a movie from the zombies perspective…really underrated masterpiece
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
altprom at 9:46PM, June 30, 2010
(offline)
ParkerFarker
Oh Black Sheep was the sickest shit ever! zombie sheep in new zealand.

I was just going to see if anyone had seen that movie ahah. That's a ridiculous movie. My friends and I watched it for Halloween.

I like Shawn of the Dead, that might be my fave. I like Zombieland too. I would have liked Night of the Living Dead more if it hadn't ended so stupidly.

Quick question: has anyone seen a movie called Zombie Strippers? It sounds… bizzare, to say the least.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
EssayBee at 7:01AM, July 1, 2010
(online)
I'll throw in my love for Dead Alive (aka Braindead). Some good pre-LOTR Peter Jackson work. Plus it has a zombie priest and a zombie nurse making a zombie baby. Not to mention the line, “I kick arse–for the LORD!” And a zombie with a garden gnome for a head. And a zombified intestinal tract that is full of gas as it makes its way through a hallway. And I think the pudding scene still ranks as one of the grossest things I've seen. Pure fun.

But the original Night of the Living Dead is probably the greatest. It's probably the only zombie film that you could also consider art.
Air Raid Robertson at 8:37PM, July 2, 2010
(online)
I'm not the biggest afficiano of zombie movies, so I'll probably only list ones that have already been covered.

The first zombie movie I saw that I really enjoyed was Dawn of the Dead. It's also notable for having a remake that was actually pretty good in and of itself.

Zombi 2 took the Romero format and then added extra gore and pointless nudity. It's trashy, but I was entertained.

Same goes for Return of the Living Dead. It also has a really good soundtrack. (The Cramps!)

Evil Dead II is the best of its series in my opinion. I would be remiss to not include it here.

Shaun of the Dead is the gold standard for the parody movies. I did really enjoy Fido though.

Out of the whole lot, my vote's going to the original Dawn of the Dead. You never forget your first…
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
PPPchairman at 8:05PM, July 6, 2010
(online)
Wow, I can't believe there's even a debate. The original Dawn of the Dead by George A. Romero. That movie is and always will be the best zombie movie.

"When there is no more room in Hell, the DEAD will walk the Earth."
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved