Help, Support and Suggestions

Beta issues.
shoguncaw at 11:05AM, Nov. 1, 2010
(online)
This new load out of drunk duck is problematic.

I'm in college and it's taking 2minutes to load up a comic in general.
I would like to go back to what the load out was like before you
made the beta.It takes even longer to load on my Windows 7 gaming computer.
I have a bandwidth of 512kbps and the site is now taking too long to load.
My friend says that is a little too early put it in to the beta phase.
Its acting more along the lines of an alpha.

Your concerned reader,
Shoguncaw
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
Genejoke at 1:14PM, Nov. 1, 2010
(online)
I assume this is a temporary thing, there is a lot to change over and sort out and will likely be sorted in the coming days if not sooner. Naturally I am neither admin or related to the update at all but there has been a lot of warning and news posts about this so I am just bearing with it for now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
shoguncaw at 2:53PM, Nov. 1, 2010
(online)
The only comic not doing the over two minuets is Pewfell with the load of ½ minuets it the big header bar which is taking the load time

Pewfell with the load of ½ minutes
vs
Charby the Vampirate with the load of 5 minutes and 58sec

some of it is the header and the back round pics for the vampirate
Pewfell has not a back round test for your self and gess wich is takeing the load of load from drunkduck.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
ozoneocean at 10:47PM, Nov. 1, 2010
(online)
This has nothing to do with Beta or alpha whatsits.

The current issues stem from configuration issues on the new server after the transfwr as well as some backgroud processes misbehaving.

What that means is that the new version of the site isn't the problem, the issues are from the transfer to a new server to make the site live- coding for the new site doesn't need to be fixed, the server it transferred to does.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Randal at 10:56PM, Nov. 1, 2010
(online)
I can't even get it to load mine. I had updates for Monday & Tuesday, but I can't get them uploaded. I guess I'm just going to be off this week. (Sorry if that sounds Pessimistic from a Mon-Fri strip, but I'm just referencing the DD days of yore.)

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:01PM
ozoneocean at 2:33AM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
Your comic loads fine for me.

skoolmunkee at 2:52AM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
The site seems to be running quickly now, unfortunately this is a bit of a rough change and some server stuff in the background have mucked a few things up. We are sorry that there's some inconvenience here, the first day was slow and problematic- but I think so far it's going pretty well, as far as drunk duck updates track records go. :]

There are still some lingering issues, so we do need you guys to report anything to us that isn't working. It's kind of a mess right now with people trying to report things EVERYWHERE in the forums, but Oz and I are doing our best to keep on top of it and send things on to wowio to fix.

So yeah, keep reporting if you find something which doesn't work- now that the bulk of the site is running fine they need to fix up these other things.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Neilsama at 3:11AM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
URLs are case-sensitive again. Also, the URL necessitates the use of an ending forward slash, which kinda screws up a lot of links I have on various sites.

For example:

www.drunkduck.com/Crossoverkill/ …WORKS!

www.drunkduck.com/crossoverkill/ …DOESN'T work.

www.drunkduck.com/Crossoverkill …DOESN'T work.

On the previous version, all three of these would work.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
DAJB at 4:55AM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
There are still some lingering issues, so we do need you guys to report anything to us that isn't working. I
I've not tried uploading any new pages of my own but, from a reader's perspective, here are a few things I've noticed so far:

The DD Alerter no longer seems to work. It was always an imperfect tool but it was better than nothing. Is this going to be reinstated (or maybe even replaced with something better)?

You mentioned in your news post that we now had an Outbox. I can't find any links to that. Does a link only appear after you've actually sent something (and there's something in it) or should there be a link somewhere in my Control Panel/Inbox area?

Is it no longer possible to save search parameters? I used to find that a saved search was a very useful way of keeping up with updates to comics I was following, while allowing me to identify potentially interesting new comics at the same time. It also meant I didn't need to have a “favourites list” of dozens of comics!

Some comics still load a little slowly. It's not universal and so I assume it's affecting only those pages uploaded in a higher resolution, but it's noticeably slower than before. This is in Google Chrome (not I.E. as mentioned in the news post).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Genejoke at 5:44AM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
Yeah also a chrome user and the site is still slower than…. insert offensive analogy of your choosing.

The system seems to still be a mix of old and new site and when in new style editing I cannot access the comics I am an assistant on.

Still can't upload images at the moment. Just tried on two comics.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
darrell at 6:56AM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
Things are still really slow for me (Firefox 3.6.12). A couple issues:

- I tried uploading a page and it didn't seem to want to upload the image.

- When I view my comic in Firefox I get no page and no buttons for “previous” or “first page”. In Internet Explorer they are either broken or blank squares.

- If I select a page from the drop down list I get “This comic has no pages.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
kaleygeminni at 8:42AM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
I have been having trouble uploading pages since Sunday. I haven't been able to put in a single update since then. :( I will keep trying but I hope this problem gets fixed soon. Snazzy lookin redesign, though, all things considered. :cat:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
jercoxthealmighty at 9:13AM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
I've been outright unable to upload new pages until today. Fortunately, I had already uploaded pages ahead of time that lasted until today, but I still am having trouble getting any of my comics' pages to even show up, often replacing them with “This comic has no pages yet!” pages. I don't think I've actually been able to get today's comic to even show up yet. Gonna try re-uploading it.

Also, everything is incredibly slow.

I, too, am using Firefox 3.6.12.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 10:00AM, Nov. 2, 2010
(offline)
Same update problems already said.

But it looks really nice still.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
jercoxthealmighty at 11:06AM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
I've just noticed another problem. Every one of my uploads shifted back a day. So Saturday's update says it's Friday's, for instance.

I knew I hadn't fallen a day behind in my schedule.

Guess now I won't worry about how “Today's” update isn't showing up correctly. It's actually tomorrow's! :D
chriscomic at 11:34AM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
Other than the upload issue, I'm also not seeing comics I assist under my comics. That's all right now, awesome to see it getting back up to speed though! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM
AQua_ng at 12:14PM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
It's definitely faster than it was yesterday, but it's still going too slow of a pace for me. Furthermore, user pages are very much dead.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
Walrus at 2:07PM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
1. Slow Sever.
2. I Had to click 3 different buttons just to get to the uploading page to update my comic.
3. Constantly logged out.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
skoolmunkee at 2:18PM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
OK, I've added all that stuff to our reports.

So, currently what we know about:

0. URLs are case sensitive and may require a / at the end; user profiles are inaccessible; you can view your own profile in your account area, but it is un-editable

1. The site is running slowly (it varies) and I have occasionally gotten mysql errors and been logged out. This is getting worse as the evening goes on, possibly because more people are trying to use the site.

2. The Image Bug has returned (what bad timing… is it a coincidence?) which means that people cannot upload new pages, or other images, and also cannot create new comics or edit their custom html.

3. URLs are currently case-sensitive and may require a / at the end

4. Some internal/relative links aren't working, which breaks the dropdown navigation on comic pages, sending you to a page that says ‘this comic does not exist.’ However, the previous/next buttons should work- UNLESS you are using the white/black or black/white template, in which case those buttons are missing, because DD is looking in the wrong place for them.

5. Assisted comics apparently aren't being listed for people (is this the case in the old-style control panel, or just the new one? You can access the old one by clicking on sidebar's ‘My Account’ here in the forums, or under the ‘My Comics’ here in the forums.)

6. Just Updated is not working (not that anyone can currently upload new pages anyway, but they should be registering even if visiting the comic would take you to a broken image)

7. pre-loaded comics now all show up as having been updated the day before, due to the server formerly being on CST and now being on PST. Not sure what this means in the long term, if newly preloaded comics will also be affected, or will fall in line with the new time.

8. Some of the black/white text has swapped on comic templates, making some text unreadable against their background (I need more details about this, is it on specific templates, which bits of text, etc- this is possibly an issue with a change to the default css, so we might need to identify which css tags are affected)

9. Various error messages may appear at the top of the page (mostly forums) but does not seem to affect anything

10. DD Alerter is completely nonfunctional (probably nothing to be done about that)

11. the “store” link directs to an old version of the main page, and not the store

12. Some mix ups because there is some old-style stuff still around (like the sidebar you see in the forums) which generally works, but is probably going to lead to confusion down the line.

13. Full overview of comics is only accessible via the ‘my account’ link in the old-style sidebar (which shows up in the forums). Otherwise, to edit a comic you must expand the ‘my comics’ part of the new-style sidebar, each comic should have an ‘edit’ button.

14. Clicking on links from the old-style sidebar (like the one you see in the forums) takes you to old-style versions of pages, like your PQ inbox.

And some various other things, mostly around missing functionality like the saved searches (Was that on the Browse page?) or things which only affect admins (like newsposts not showing up on the main page)

DAJB - if you go to the new-style inbox, there should be a header in there which says ‘Sent’ - that's your outbox.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ochitsukanai at 3:55PM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
user profiles are inaccessible; you can view your own profile in your account area, but it is un-editable
I've been able to edit mine. I can also reach anyone else's profile provided that
a.) I go back one page from the most recent page of their comic if the links there are bad
b.) the most recent page has the right links to profiles, for no clear reason (it's not related to updating recently)
c.) I have some other working profile link open and replace the last bit with their username, of course
skoolmunkee
5. Assisted comics apparently aren't being listed for people (is this the case in the old-style control panel, or just the new one?)
Only the new control panel isn't listing them.

Always, I wanna be with mew, and make believe with mew
and live in harmony harmony oh nyan
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
same at 4:43PM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
I Am The 1337 Master
Same update problems already said.

But it looks really nice still.

Ill update when I find an idea I want to stick with! Ok?!

Just kidding.

Anyway. Apart from the general slow loading and occasional nonloading I cant see any problems.

I will say however what I do like and what I dont like.

Pro's:

Looks good. The profiles and the main pages look better layed out.

I like the way the news is now centred on the front page.

General site looks better and more organized.

Cons:

Slow loading (But this has been already covered and I'm sure nothing can be done about it yet.)

Forum doesnt match the theme of the rest of the site.

Apart from that I can't really comment too much because I don't know enough about what I'm talking about.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
Peipei at 6:31PM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
I also can't get pages to upload properly as well. Keep getting logged out every minute or so too. I'm gonna just sit out until these problems blow over :s.

I like Pie!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
dragonrider at 6:35PM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
Skool I sent you a PQ earlier and also sent a feedback, however I'm not sure the PQ actually quacked had a whole bunch of gibberish on the screen after a hit send.
1, Who the H picked out the colors is flat colorblind they would make a Zombie Gag, the poison green actually hurts your eyes to look at and the yellow does nothing but make you sick. I'm running Windows 7 Firefox 3.6.12 with 8G ram and an I5 Quad processor, I could draw these frames faster by hand. The Bandwidth they are eating up running videos advertising Vacuum Sweepers, Oven Cleaners, Vacations in St. Thomas may be bringing in some income but its the wrong products for this audience and its one of the reasons the site loads so blasted slow, actually when I came into the site just now there were two different videos playing on the splash page its no wonder the load time suks roks. I hate to Bitch and Moan over a free site but if they can't do better close it down and let everybody go to Belfry, Smack Jeeves, WEVolt, Comic Fury or one of the other hosting services.
Just my .13 worth.
Do NOT meddle in the affairs of Dragons. Because, YOU are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
lefarce at 7:06PM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
Frankly, if you really want to fix DD, just delete the whole damn thing and start over. Ever since the Platinum verison, the code has been so fucked up that I'm convinced the current issues are less Wowio's fault and more Volte's. His code was a disaster and no matter how much you try to add onto the site, you're only making your ability to remove bugs more critical to the site's integrity. Its like if you have an engine thats on fire, but if you put the fire out then all the wheels pop for no fucking reason, so you have to drive around with the engine flaming out of the hood of your car. And its like “great, which way to I want to die.”

Thats DD. A nightmare car waiting to explode or run off the road.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
same at 7:32PM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
Ive just been talking to other users on AIM.

Its pretty clear to me now.

Were all being trolled.

While we're being all
this

the admins are secretly being like
this
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
lefarce at 7:43PM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
My post has a lot of typos, and I would love to fix them, but every time I hit “edit” i'm inexplicably logged out. Once I edited a giant picture of John McCain into my forum that took up the entire page, and it still ran better than this.

Also Hippie Van would like to voice her complaints but can't log in.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
skoolmunkee at 8:02PM, Nov. 2, 2010
(online)
dragonrider
Skool I sent you a PQ earlier and also sent a feedback, however I'm not sure the PQ actually quacked had a whole bunch of gibberish on the screen after a hit send.
I didn't get it, currently PQs cut themselves off if there is an apostrophe and don't send.

Unfortunately the time has passed to complain about the color scheme, there were preview images and beta testing announcements as long as a month ago. :] However, lucky for you, other people complained about the green and Wowio has said that in the future they plan to have a ‘choose your color scheme’ ability.

I don't understand what you're saying about the videos? I turned off ad-blocker and I'm not seeing them, just some average banner ads. It may be regional? Is there some other video you mean?

lefarce
Frankly, if you really want to fix DD, just delete the whole damn thing and start over. Ever since the Platinum verison, the code has been so fucked up that I'm convinced the current issues are less Wowio's fault and more Volte's.
Actually Volte's original coding is one of the main issues they have had to work around. Volte taught himself php by doing DD, which means the site has a ton of non-standard stuff going on. Part of what they are doing is fixing up some of this backend, which I suspect is difficult to do when there's so much data and stuff on the site.

same
the admins are secretly being like
The admins are all up at like 3am trying to respond to people. T_T

Good news, some of the issues have been fixed, I'm afraid it's too late at night for me to try and write a complete thing- but

- the dropdown navigation boxes for comics work now
- the forums are no longer giving me error messages
- most of the links around the site to user profiles work now (except the ones with a / at the end)
- proper regdate shows on the profiles page, and the ‘view more’ buttons are working (for expanded friends lists, etc)
- user control panel links all now point to the same place

There's quite a bit on their plates to fix, hopefully most of it will be easily cleared up and the site will speed up and stop logging people out too. The most we can do is keep reporting the problems and be patient.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
jca3d at 10:56PM, Nov. 2, 2010
(offline)
It seems like Drunk Duck is running into more and more problems as time goes by… I haven't been able to upload pages for the past week (almost), which I know you've said is because of the inexplicable “upload bug” that's mysteriously arisen again. And , though it's been said that this is in no way related to the Beta, pages as of it's (the Beta's) implementation have been loading MUCH slower than they had been. Maybe it's the servers or my own connection coinciding with the Beta's release a little too well, but it's all very frustrating.

Is there any idea when these bugs will be fixed? By the by, the Beta's colors are SUPER bright… so bright.
ozoneocean at 12:52AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
jca3d
slower than they had been. I
Due to scriots running in the background and an incorrectly configured server after the move. All is being fixed steadily,

mlai at 2:07AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
Just noticed that all the pics on the front page shrunk by about 25%. This includes Featured, Top 10, Random, and Just Updated. Every one of them. Some of the art can no longer be discerned clearly to grab you.

What an awful change. It's like you're trying to compete with Comic Genesis' microscopic “pogs” on which one of you can help non-top-10 comics the least.

What got bigger? The news! Yes, I check out the front page of DD Webcomics Community to read text! Oh no I don't care about trying to find new/hidden comics or looking at attractive banners!

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved