Random Discussion

better than Kindle
subcultured at 8:01PM, Feb. 14, 2009
(online)
Plastic Logic is as wide and long as a sheet of Letter-sized paper (8.5-by-11 inches), measures less than 3/10 of an inch thick, and weighs less than a magazine. The actual display area measures 10.7 inches, according to the company. To display text, the device utilizes E-Ink technology, and it will feature a touchscreen for turning pages, typing with a virtual keyboard and navigating the menu.

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
seventy2 at 10:29PM, Feb. 14, 2009
(online)
wow…sometimes, with all the old sci-fi books i read, and old movies i watch…i forget how ridiculously close to the “future” we are….
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:29PM
subcultured at 3:45PM, Feb. 15, 2009
(online)
i keep thinking that we are not far off from visions of many scifi authors. now if only good scifi shows like star trek are back on the air. cool lil ideas about how humans have done very well in space.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
Product Placement at 4:06PM, Feb. 15, 2009
(online)
I read about this technology, few years back. I'm glad to see that it's on the final steps of development. Some of the very cool features it will offer is the possibility of digital subscription to most newspaper where you get your daily paper delivered electronically. That will save a good amount of paper. Now we just need to figure out how to use those three seashells thing and we're done saving the rain forest ^^

Ok, I know it's a bit more complicated than that but still…
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
ozoneocean at 5:49PM, Feb. 15, 2009
(online)
subcultured
i keep thinking that we are not far off from visions of many scifi authors.
People have been thinking that since the genre of SciFi came to be. One constant remains: the future never happens :)

On another note though- bits and pieces and invetions get made constantly. People always think of them decades and decades before they're made, so when they finally do get made those guys look like prophits of the future, rather than ordinary people thinking up some clever inventions that they can't build at the time. lol!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
lba at 7:08PM, Feb. 15, 2009
(online)
Only problem with that thing is how much it costs to buy and the fact that you've got a digital library. I personally find it cheaper to buy used books for $4.99 and have it right there instead of paying $300 + book purchases and having to keep it on my hard drive which is a horrible mess to sort through in comparison to my bookshelf.

I'd probably buy it for the fact of it's size and better energy usage if not for the price though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
ozoneocean at 8:13PM, Feb. 15, 2009
(online)
In that format I think the thing would be much more suited to offices. You could just load some PDFs and word docs on there instead of printing them out. The book and newspaper ideas don't work well really… They're starting to (with the books), but the whole thing is clumsy in that it relies on people to buy hardware first then have them get the books… etc.

Whereas in an office environment those things would be EASY to fit into the work flow, no issues at all! And they'd save SOOOOooo much paper!
-Even when you're used to reading stuff off the computer screen, those things would make it easier. It'd be good for the home office, school work, university readings etc.

-ESPECIALLY readings at uni actually!You have massive documents in PDF format, studies, treatises, doctorate papers to read etc. That stuff is hell to read off the screen and nasty to print out.
-Good for a hell of a lot of proffessions that need to do a lot of printing and reading of big documents, like engeneers, doctors…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
anise shaw at 12:00AM, Feb. 16, 2009
(offline)
If it works on standard pdf, it would be a dream for university students. A lot of books at my Uni library are released digitally for us to use.

It's interesting to think of how the book, magazine and newspaper market will change with the proliferation of reading technology. The internet has already forced the market to adapt significantly to the demand for free news and information that is constantly updating.

I can also imagine there is going to be hell with DRM. One thing that always rains on this parade is copyright, because it is so easy to proliferate copyrighted materials on the internet. I'm waiting for the day when it is declared that we may no longer buy intellectual property, but must rent it for an crazy fee.

I would love to produce my webcomic for this format. Does it do colour?
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
Inkmonkey at 1:28PM, Feb. 16, 2009
(offline)
anise shaw
I would love to produce my webcomic for this format. Does it do colour?

Not yet; the first video mentions that color probably won't be out for about 5 years.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Product Placement at 4:18AM, Feb. 17, 2009
(online)
They always go for black and white first don't they?

I'm certain that the worlds first holodeck will be black and white.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
seventy2 at 5:25PM, Feb. 26, 2009
(online)
hmmm..i actually just looked at the specs for a kindle….and i wouldnt mind one of those.

so if this thing comes with the free wireless anywhere and everything, i'd choose it. but for now….i'm considering….buying a kindel.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:29PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved