Debate and Discussion

Bigfoot...Does it exhist?
Peipei at 1:11PM, Jan. 26, 2007
(online)
My brother and I were messing around on his computer lastnight and he stumbled upon some very chilling stories of a hairy being up in ohio back in the 70s'. As we were reading and looking at the pics of a possible bigfoot-like being, we also found some low quality, 1970s' recordings of beastly yelps in different parts of America.

When I listened to them, I told my brother it was probably fake, and someone might've recordered the scary animal like voices in a studio or something. But my brother insisted that they might've been euthentic. What do you think? Does bigfoot really exhist? Or are people just lying to themselves? :s

I like Pie!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Phantom Penguin at 2:40PM, Jan. 26, 2007
(offline)
Its one of those things you can't be sure of. Unless someone cuts down all the miles of forest in the US i doubt their will be any proof of it not existing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Ronson at 8:27AM, Jan. 27, 2007
(online)
There is no evidence that bigfoot exists, and that's after many years of searching. All the “evidence” is either inconclusive or fake.

COULD bigfoot exist? I suppose, but it's very, very unlikely. As equally likely as dragons and unicorns, in my opinion.

When you read about things like this, you should see if they're applying the scientific method to their evidence. If they take something that's inconclusive and are trying to show that is “could” be bigfoot (the howls you mention, for example) then they aren't using the scientific method. The scientific method would require that they exhaust every other non-bigfoot possibility in creating that sound first. Could it have been faked? Could it just be a native creature from the woods from a far enough distance to distort it? Has every sound of the known native creatures been catalogued yet?

The frustrating thing about the scientific method is that it usually doesn't make its conclusions for a very, very long time. If there's still some doubt, it isn't done yet. This frustrates people, and most of us try to circumvent the procedure. We all have preconceived notions that seem like common sense, but until they are scientifically evaluated they aren't PROVEN to be true.

Think of all the things that seemed like common sense in the past: the earth is flat, it's at the center of the universe, the sun revolves around it. Without the scientific method that attemped to disprove these things by casting doubt on “common knowledge”, these things would not ever have been disproved.

Currently, the existence of UFOs, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster and many other urban legends is viewed with skeptisism by the scientific community. None of these things have ever been evaluated scientifically to exist. That doesn't mean they don't, just that it's as unlikely as any other myth.

View all of this stuff with a healthy dose of skepticism, and if someone spends all of their time trying to convince you that something is definitely true because of “clues” instead of hard evidence, they're just working with wishful thinking and not science.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
Peipei at 8:37PM, Jan. 31, 2007
(online)
What if they're just good at hiding evidence that they exhist? :x

I like Pie!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Priceman at 10:29AM, Feb. 1, 2007
(online)
Peipei
What if they're just good at hiding evidence that they exhist? :x

In this day in age, it's is quite possible. If it exist, then more than likely its been caught. I seriously doubt that with all the technology in the world today, we couldn't track down a hairy bastard in the wilderness (though it seems to work for Osama).
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
kingofsnake at 10:48AM, Feb. 1, 2007
(online)
Ronson
We all have preconceived notions that seem like common sense, but until they are scientifically evaluated they aren't PROVEN to be true.

Nothing in science is ever “proved” to be true. Something can only be “proved false” or “proved most likely to be true.” At any moment we could discover empirical evidence that would make something as well understood as gravity, be as crazy as a geocentric universe. Most empirical evidence points to bigfoot, and the lochness moster as being abolutely false. For UFO's evidence points to it being “likely” that they're false. In taking a completely scientific view of life and evolution, the liklihood of all the specific elements being availible not only to sustain life, but to allow for the simplest life forms (RNA strands) to evolve from an otherwise lifeless environment is so silm that even in the vastness of the universe it's ridiculously unlikely that another planet would have any life on it at all.

Tangent aside. Science blows
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
Inkmonkey at 1:25PM, Feb. 1, 2007
(offline)
The problem with something like Bigfoot is that the only people seriously looking for it are those without the funding, equipment, or experience to find something like that. In addition, evidence of Bigfoot is usually found by people who go out into the forest looking for evidence of Bigfoot, specifically, and so everything they find has that skew of “this is what we want it to be” instead of “this is what it is”. It's entirely possible for apelike creatures to go undiscovered in America, but a creature of Bigfoot's reported size, I find it highly unlikely.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Adenn at 3:28PM, Feb. 1, 2007
(offline)
Bigfoot is real and im not saying this just because im insane
(\__/) | This is Bunny.
(O.o ) | Copy Bunny into your signature to help
(> < ) | him on his way to world domination!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
Bipolar Crab at 12:30PM, June 4, 2007
(offline)
THe internet didn`t exist in the seventies as much as bigfoot didn`t!
dun dun dun
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
Aereis at 12:55PM, June 4, 2007
(online)
hmmm….Maybe? I think it might be possible. New species of animals are being found all the time, though ocean life is more popular on the news. Though I do have to say, the loch ness monster should have been found if is is real, as they have combed through with nets several times since sightings. But the forest is not a confined area. It would migrate and live in very obscure locations. It's sad, but children get lost in forests and such and are never found at all, now imagine a living creature that is on the move and stays away from humans. It could, POSSIBLY be real.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
StaceyMontgomery at 1:19PM, June 4, 2007
(offline)
New species are found all the time - but finding new, large mammals is really, really rare. I think the last large mammal species discovered was a kind of deer in the jungles of Vietnam some years ago - last I knew, we were waiting to find out if it was *about* to become extinct or if it had become extinct recently. Either way, it's a very rare creature. And a lot smaller than a bigfoot.

Of course, anything is possible. One must always keep an open mind. But I would not bet on Bigfoot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
ozoneocean at 1:23PM, June 4, 2007
(online)
Adenn
Bigfoot is real and im not saying this just because im insane
No, you're not insane, just childish. Quit it, this is not the forum for that sort of thing. Grr.
Ronson
As equally likely as dragons and unicorns, in my opinion.
Heh, funny you should say that. They do exist. Like everything though, it' s a matter of expectation and definition. Unicorns were of course rhinoceros and dear, dragons were dinosaur skeletons, giant crocodiles, Komodo dragons, and giant snakes, and sea serpents were oarfish, giant squid, and whales. Most creatures of myth and fantasy are real, but fantasy has taken over and rendered these natural wonders completely irrelevant and incongruously mundane. What we can understand isn't fantastic enough for us so it's no longer allowed to own it's own mythology; that must belong to something imagined instead…

Just another way of looking at things really. So rather than thinking about “bigfoot” or a yeti as some bizarre undiscovered huge apeman or mountain bear, perhaps the original sightings (not in the 70s, the original sightings) were of a large lost fur trapper…? Maybe a big bear, just outside its normal range, I dunno.

It's just that while things don't need a miraculous explanation, perhaps there is an explanation for them afterall? But we'd normally take it to be too mundane.

As to belief in a big bipedal creature haunting around undiscovered today in those areas, it's preposterous. Unless your talking about some crazy human? I doubt you'd even find a bear that'd fit the bill now.

The only really amazing and unusual creatures that I've heard of these days are the “phantom” big cats that seem to reside in every portion of the world… People see them in country towns and lonely roads, see dead livestock, find tracks, but never find a live or dead specimen (that's the story). They're more interesting than alien sightings or bigfoot because it's believable; cats do live that way and are very hard to catch.

lol! Interestingly, in some cases the “phantom” big cats have been caught and found to actually have been over-gown feral house cats! But getting back to my original point: because that's seen as far too mundane an explanation (even though it IS the explanation) people still either look for the mysterious escaped ghost-panther, or scoff at the very idea!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
Disgruntledrm at 8:18PM, June 4, 2007
(online)
People believe Nessie exists, there's been no evidence that wasn't fake. None of the bigfoot evidence is real either. Let's see, I've never seen Santa's Sleigh, the tooth faerie slipping coins under pillows at night…no, I just don't believe in things like that. So I'd have to say bigfoot isn't real.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
Alexis at 10:44PM, June 4, 2007
(offline)
I love cryptozoology, but really, I doubt bigfoot exists. The chances of an animal that size hiding out in a relativley highly populated and well studied are are pretty small. I figure most bigfoot sightings are just big ugly dudes that someone mistook for an animal. :-) There are other legendery creatures that I think are more likely, especially ocean creatures.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
reconjsh at 6:15PM, June 5, 2007
(online)
Bigfoot exists. He did a brief stint with Tenacious D before they concluded they're better as a duo.

I submit to you: how could something (or someone, whatever) that does not exist possibly be a former drummer for the greatest band of all time?

I win. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
that kid yellow at 11:19AM, June 6, 2007
(online)
sorry guys but its not real.and if it is the military has it under wraps
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
mystery at 1:59AM, June 8, 2007
(offline)
No evidence that bigfoot exists is not evidence that he doesn't, it's just not evidence that he does.
Highly unlikey that s/he does, could be a bear, you don't have monkeys in North America (unless you count the people ;p) so it wouldn't be a monkey.
I guess we have to ask our fundementalist friends if Noah took a pair of bigfeet on the ark (I kid, I kid).
If you ask about bigfoot, why not ask about the big cats too? There are freaky stories about them too, but once again, no evidence they exist isn't… yeah, you get the point.
I'm leaning towards the possibility bigfoot is not real, yeah, I'm thinking a bear. I'm looking forward to someone explaining to me why it isn't, because at least then progress will be made when you can say for sure what bigfoot isn't.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Drifterxgs at 9:32PM, July 23, 2007
(online)
I would like to think they do, just because the world needs a bit of mystery to it. Besides we believed giant squids didnt exist, and now we find them in deep waters, we didn't know about the coelacanth, and who knows, maybe there is a nessie. My question is, if its a murder of crows, and a herd of gazelle, what is the classification for groups of mythological creatures?

A pod of nessie, A huddle of bigfeet, order of dragons?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Aurora Moon at 9:53PM, July 23, 2007
(offline)
Drifterxgs
I would like to think they do, just because the world needs a bit of mystery to it. Besides we believed giant squids didnt exist, and now we find them in deep waters, we didn't know about the coelacanth, and who knows, maybe there is a nessie. My question is, if its a murder of crows, and a herd of gazelle, what is the classification for groups of mythological creatures?

A pod of nessie, A huddle of bigfeet, order of dragons?

true enough.

I don't know about the others, but I know it's “A drove of dragons” or something like that.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Coyotejeff at 10:18PM, July 23, 2007
(online)
Yes Bigfoot Exsists. He's a drinking buddy of mine. He's passed out on my couch right now. Shees, how could you even question it?
Welcome to Roadkill Valley
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
TheMidge28 at 4:37AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
I do exist and here's proof!

me…

bigfoot…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:20PM
Xaden at 10:30AM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
It could exist. I mean there is a lot of things in this world we havn't found yet. I mean we found a giant squid… I mean its only a matter of time right? Well also you do have the goverment right?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM
Insane Angelic at 1:35PM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
I doubt it. Something this big can't pass unnoticed and so well-hidden in forest. The only explainion according to me who is logical: It's just a big ape or a bear. Also, our brain oftens play tricks on us. A human carring winter cloths can walk like this, or a bear- seen from afar.

But also…there's goverment and military issue.
Think about UFOS and aliens. They keep it TOP SECRET. Maybe that's the same thing for bigfoot- they catch them and the few that they didn't manged to catch or find is still wandering….

I think how each of us summary it up depends on how we think of it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Priest_Revan at 7:40PM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
Meh, it's possible.

I mean, who knows? It could just be some hairy hermit-type guy…
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
Unknown_Master at 11:41PM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
Ah ha, one cryptozoology is one of my favorite subjects to “study” (If that what you call it.) I did a debate on bigfoot for a bio-ethics paper once. And just because something hasn't been found doesn't mean that it's not real. Like preveously stated they just found a collosal squid and every day new rare or thought to be exstinct creatures are found. And who says that it's actually as big as everyone says, words get spread around fast and get distorted, so maybe it's just that. The people who have seen it usually either have believable storys, and/or evidence. But hey, some people believe in stuff and others don't it's all part of how we think, and that's what makes us individuals.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
davidrecine at 9:17PM, July 25, 2007
(offline)
Bigfoot seems kind of unlikely. It's eyewitness accounts by seemingly sane people who weren't looking for bgfoot that make me think twice: http://www.unexplainedresearch.com/files_cryptozoology/bigfoot_granton.html

The Granton story is one of my favorite sitings, because I've been to Granton, and the place really does seem like the type of messed up-yet sleepy town that an X-Files episode would take place in. And if there is a place so abandoned, untended and thick with trees that a bigfoot could go largely unnoticed, it would be Clark County.
From the state that brought you Jeffrey Dahmer, Ed Gein, Colby Cheese, and Pabst Blue Ribbon:

http://www.drunkduck.com/Murky_Waters
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
Strikenmist at 3:16PM, July 26, 2007
(online)
i dont think so
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:59PM
neohobo at 8:58AM, Aug. 18, 2007
(online)
he does exist, but he prefers to be called Ron Jeremy these days
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
Loud_G at 3:54PM, Aug. 18, 2007
(online)
I don't think Bigfoot exists.

Nessie possibly, but bigfoot, no.

It could just have been a guy with that really rare disease/condition wear the person grows lots of facial and body hair and looks like a monkey. Yes, there really is a condition like that. :dizzy:
Find out what George is up to:

Go! Visit George or he may have to eat you!*
*Disclaimer: George may or may not eat violators depending on hunger level and scarcity of better tasting prey.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Kohdok at 10:07PM, Aug. 18, 2007
(online)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved