Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

biweekly or every day?
neostar8710 at 7:36AM, March 4, 2010
(online)
Hi,

I've just recently began posting up my manga,http://www.drunkduck.com/Spoon/index.php?p=657421,“Spoon” and my plan was after releasing chapter 1 pages day by day, i was going to release full chapters biweekly.

but i feel like it won't gain many readers due to its inactivity every other week…

so what do you people think i should do?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
Kroatz at 2:26PM, March 4, 2010
(online)
If you want a lot of readers you should post daily, that way more people will see you pop up on the frontpage. This also increases your daily pageviews because everybody will check back every day.

It's totally up to you though, do you want to go through the trouble of poting daily or do you want the time to take it a little slower?
Comidion.deviantart.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:23PM
usedbooks at 3:33PM, March 4, 2010
(online)
I wouldn't post more than one page at a time regardless of the schedule.

It's basically standard for the webcomic community. People often miss pages if you post two or more in a day, and webcomic readers are used to looking only at a page at a time (or waiting for pages to build up on their own and then reading them). Plus, as Kroatz said, people will not check back and you will receive less exposures and pageviews to update less frequently. Oh, and most people tend to leave comments only on the most recent page, so if you like getting comments (praise, feedback, or whatever), it is more beneficial to update no more than a page a day.

Kroatz
It's totally up to you though, do you want to go through the trouble of poting daily or do you want the time to take it a little slower?
Actually, you don't have to go through any “trouble” to post every day. You can preupload pages and set the date to the day they will be posted. They don't get much or any time on the front page “most updated” list that way, but I've rarely gotten any views from that anyway. A better way to get readers is by adding your link to top ten lists and other webcomic databases, by being active in the DD community (in the forums and reading/commenting on other comics, and maybe doing link exchanges with other webcomics and/or advertising (like through ProjectWonderful).
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
neostar8710 at 5:12PM, March 4, 2010
(online)
ok i think i will do that here and ohter sites, do full chapters

thank you for the feedback =)
Aurora Borealis at 11:17AM, March 5, 2010
(online)
I'm kinda late but… the way drunkduck is constructed, it doesn't really work as a “chapter at a time” kind of uploading. For that you'd need a custom built site, kind of like Freakangels has, where they do a 6-page chapter every friday. So if you hit a new chapter, it always sends you to the first page and not to the last page of it…

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
ozoneocean at 2:32AM, March 6, 2010
(online)
Aurora Borealis
I'm kinda late but… the way drunkduck is constructed, it doesn't really work as a “chapter at a time” kind of uploading. For that you'd need a custom built site, kind of like Freakangels has, where they do a 6-page chapter every friday. So if you hit a new chapter, it always sends you to the first page and not to the last page of it…

Hmm, well you do have the ability to mark where chapters start on DD and I beleive that if you use the home page feature you can have a list of all your chapters… Clicking the lastest one should take you to the start of it.

I think that;s how it works. I, like most people, HATE the home page feature so I don't use it enough to know everything it can do .:(

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Aurora Borealis at 7:08AM, March 7, 2010
(online)
Ok, after thinking about it for a bit…

Theory: you could start every chapter with a “front cover” and a “back cover”. The back cover would say something like “end of chapter ##” and then the person would just have to hit the link that's in the author's comment field to get to the beginning of the chapter to be sent to the front cover. You could also edit the page template to include the chapter list (I tried that, hoping it would be a dropdown like the one for pages, but no, it's just a list of links, bleh, but the fact is that it worked outside of the “homepage” option).
So yeah, you'd end up with a rather weird workaround I guess?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
neostar8710 at 11:13AM, March 8, 2010
(online)
i'll just do a page everyday

sounds easier and a way to get more readers hahaa
Zang One at 3:49PM, March 8, 2010
(offline)
Im struggling with the same thing at the moment. Weve got good readership, but only 8 pages up. So they dont exactly stay for tea. Im thinking of twice a week but its a 6 hour job coloring the lineart my counterpart sends me. Im afraid im not going to have time and my comic is going to go down in flames again right as its starting to get somewhere. Any advice?

(and sorry I couldnt help with your question)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved