Debate and Discussion

Blame(?)
piraterpg at 10:21AM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Is it possible for humans to blame others?

I do no have an answer to this question because this is how I perceive blame.

Blame… Its an interesting word. Why do we have it? Personally I feel we have the concept of “Blame” for narrowing down and identifying the source of our problems. I guess the main idea behind this would be that: if we know who started the problem we can deal with it. Blame is founded on the human concepts of good and evil which in themselves are almost impossible to define. We can all blame anyone for our hardships, but the problem with blame is blaming the right person/thing. So if you are not blaming the right thing.. is it really blaming?

A simple example to outline the problem with RIGHT blame (blaming the right person) would be: Guy AA shoots guy BB. We blame AA because he shot BB. But should be blame be on BB (BB might have killed AAs mom). Is the blame the person who sold AA the gun? Should be blame the people who created the circumstances in which AA might kill BB?

All the above might not make sense, but this is how I perceive the concept of blame. So please share your view on the concept, it might open my eyes.

www.drunkduck.com/pirateRPG
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
ozoneocean at 1:24PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(online)
People generally like things simple. The closest, easiest to understand, and most chronologically recent things are what will get the blame. Real causes are deeper and more complicated, and other things may to too far in the past to worry about as much. SO yes, simple is best with most people.

Not for me though generally… Blame doesn't tend to solve much and if you're looking for simple answers to fix things, then you invariably cause the situation to be made that much worse. :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
kingofsnake at 8:04PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(online)
Blame isnt tied to transient concepts of good and evil as much as it's tied to cause and effect. People typically try to assign blame to misfortune in order to a)make sense of a catastrophe on a rational level as a way to distract from trying to make sense of it on an emotional level or to b)avoid accepting responsability for misfortune one brings upon oneself. I think these are both pretty natural and acceptable reactions, as long as they're accepted for what they are. When people focus too much on where to place the blame and not enough on how to repair the problem, or mix up the two, then problems begin to compound upon themselves. Blame will always be a distraction and not a solution.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
UltimaXG2 at 9:49PM, Feb. 4, 2008
(offline)
If I stub my toe, I will blame the wall. Someone else will blame my clumsiness. Ultimately, we can blame others, since it is within our grasp to do so, but it just goes in a circle.
Comics:
Beyond the Deep End
Mysterious Transfer Student
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
Lokidoll at 10:37PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
People like to be able to make things as simple as possible and be able to have a reason for everything. And sometimes, because we don't understand why we did something or didn't so something we use such a thing as Blame to make ourselves feel better and relieve any doubt we have as well as to give an answer to something we don
't understand and/or don't want to admit to.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
zaneeba_slave at 11:03PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
You can always blame something else.

Say a man comes to your house and kills your wife. You ultimately blame the murderer for killing your wife. The murderer might blame his father for making him violent. The father might blame his drunkness for making him violent.

Therefore, the beer killed your wife.

No. It is the murderer whose to blame! HE was the one who killed your wife. Not his father. Not the beer. the murderer.

Did the gun kill your wife? No. The person pulling the trigger did. You cant blame the gun. The gun doesnt know better.

To put it blaintly, there are rare times when you HAVE to blame a person. Whether they were innocent at one time, thay arent innocent anymore.
I like to imagine myself as a goblin in a tuxedo. -Zaneeba_slave
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved