Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

blog to complement the comic?
Locoma at 6:22PM, Sept. 19, 2007
(online)
My webcomic updates weekly, and I always draw silly things unrelated to it during the week. I do other things besides drawing/painting, and I sometimes want to share those things with my readers/friends, but I'm not sure if I want to start a blog outside the duck. I thought about using the comic forum feature, but I doubt anyone would read it (besides… there's no way of searching for words/topics in them). So I can't make up my mind. What's the best way of blogging while keeping it somehow related to your webcomic? Do you have a blog and a webcomic? Please talk about your experience with this
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Bohemian at 7:01PM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
Excellent questions! I used to be a heavy duty contributor to a political discussion site, and so when I decided a few years ago to start turning out editorial cartoons it seemed a natural progression to combine my love of writing and head to head political confrontation with the ins and outs of the cartooning and creative process.

It didn't work out for me, though. While your mileage may very well vary, it turned out that I could either write about politics or write about cartooning, but that I couldn't do both on the same blog.

Something substantially less intense and emotional though, might work just fine for you. My suggestion is that you go ahead and start a blog and then simply segment off a little space on your DD comic page to let people know about it. Anyone interested can click on the blog link and see what else you have been doing. I know that some cartoonists do supply a link to their deviant art page.

Anyway, there's no harm in seeing if the concept works for you, and if it turns out not to be your cup of tea then it's the work of seconds to remove the blog link on your DD site.
:gem:
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
maritalbliss at 1:16PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(offline)
Bohemian made a lot of sense. I'm more of a blogger. I blog daily and it has nothing to do whatsoever with my comic.

Now, I also blog weekly with my comic, Marital Bliss??? about subjects that relate, somehow to marriage.

The Dev. Art is a great suggestion. That way all you different art styles are kept seperate. (Also, don't forget about MySpace. I know there are a ton of MySpace neighsayers…But, I wouldn't listen…All pretension aside…It's an amazing networking tool with an easy built in blog that you can link to. )

Best of luck.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
Locoma at 7:05PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(online)
Thanks for the replies both of you, they really helped :D
In my case I don't plan on talking too much, just share little things once in a while (whenever I feel like it). I took your suggestion on creating a DA account and a blog. I've been browsing blog sites, and I chose Wordpress. It seemed neater and I understood it right away, but… well, I want to know what my options are. I checked out Myspace but I'm not sure… I already got like 10 spam messages and couldn't understand much of it… is it customizable? I want something neat and simple. Which host do you recommend for a blog and why? (it doesn't have to be a long explanation).
maritalbliss at 9:12PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(offline)
Well, I only use MySpace, 'cause I am really just as new as you at this whole thing. You can spice it up a bit, check out ours. I'm just keepin' it there though, ‘till we finally get our “really real” site.

You do get spammed if you are not careful who you add as “friends.” I’ve heard of Wordpress and I know a chick who does a fanzine that uses it…She likes it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
Locoma at 10:31PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(online)
heheh that's the beauty of it, I haven't even touched my myspace account, they just appeared in it :D
hey, myspace is totally customizable! :D that's really great, I'll have that in mind, wordpress is not that customizable. It does allow anonymous comments though (it's optional, and you have to approve them before they appear). Hehehe I don't know if the customizable thing is good for me, I tend to waste hours and hours trying to customize everything :D
nice blog front page, ethan/lynn
JustNoPoint at 12:05AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
You can use an I frame to link the blog onto your comic page if you wanted.

Here is how you make one.
http://www.htmlbasix.com/iframe.shtml
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
spacehamster at 11:34AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
I have a dA page for my non-sequential stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Locoma at 7:35AM, Sept. 29, 2007
(online)
hey an iframe is a cool idea :D I don't want more loading delay for the pages, but for a homepage is way cool. I think I will enable that home page thing and make a set of links, with the iframe and a link to my DA page. Thanks for the suggestions :D
marine at 2:36PM, Sept. 29, 2007
(offline)
I always rant and rave over on my comics. Not as much as I was, but I still can go on and on about nothing. Considering I do a new comic everyday, thats quite a lot of typing.

So yeah, blog away.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
kyupol at 4:43PM, Sept. 29, 2007
(online)
Use the authors notes like I do. :) (The authors notes is actually one of the reasons why people like or hate me and/or my comics)
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Locoma at 8:07PM, Oct. 11, 2007
(online)
heeeeeeeeey
deviantart has a journal too! :D

kyupol: I use the author's notes, but sometimes I want to post something completely unrelated to my comic, and I only update twice a week
kyupol at 7:38AM, Oct. 12, 2007
(online)
Locoma
heeeeeeeeey
deviantart has a journal too! :D

kyupol: I use the author's notes, but sometimes I want to post something completely unrelated to my comic, and I only update twice a week

lol my authors notes has sometimes totally unrelated stuff to the comic. Sometimes when I feel agitated I just post away there and I sometimes accidentally post things that may offend people. So I got shit for those too sometimes. haha. lol!
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved