Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Blogging: Boring autobiographies, or Exhilirating reading?
notlikelytocare at 7:08AM, Dec. 11, 2008
(online)
I'm sure most of you know of blogging by now. I myself have a few blogs I visit often, due to the intelligent banter, random craziness, or straightforward offensiveness a few of them offer.

I was wondering how many people here blog. I know of at least 3 here (including myself) that do. Also: what type of blog do you prefer? The “Slice of Life” Blog, the “Over the Top” Blog, the “Intelligent Discussion” Blog, or what have you.

I personally prefer the “Over the Top” blog like "Steve, don't eat it!" or anything by Maddox.

This would be a good spot to promote your blog too, if you feel inclined. I know we all need a few more readers. HERE is mine, just be forewarned, I have a very odd sense of humor, and many will likely call me egotistical, racist, sexist, or just plain hateful, but I prefer to call myself honest. not for everyone, and maybe a bit NSFW. enter at your own risk.

I look forward to seeing some of your blogs and recommendations. I'm always up for a good read.

-NLTC
My avatar is tiny because I'm compensating.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 1:57PM, Dec. 11, 2008
(offline)
The Title
Blogging: Boring autobiographies
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Bocaj at 3:33PM, Dec. 11, 2008
(online)
notlikelytocare
I'm sure most of you know of blogging by now. I myself have a few blogs I visit often, due to the intelligent banter, random craziness, or straightforward offensiveness a few of them offer.

I was wondering how many people here blog. I know of at least 3 here (including myself) that do. Also: what type of blog do you prefer? The “Slice of Life” Blog, the “Over the Top” Blog, the “Intelligent Discussion” Blog, or what have you.

I personally prefer the “Over the Top” blog like "Steve, don't eat it!" or anything by Maddox.

This would be a good spot to promote your blog too, if you feel inclined. I know we all need a few more readers. HERE is mine, just be forewarned, I have a very odd sense of humor, and many will likely call me egotistical, racist, sexist, or just plain hateful, but I prefer to call myself honest. not for everyone, and maybe a bit NSFW. enter at your own risk.

I look forward to seeing some of your blogs and recommendations. I'm always up for a good read.

-NLTC
Just wanted to say, I've read Steve, Don't Eat It! and loved it.
Here is just one quote:
Someone
I guess it would be fair to say it doesn't taste as truly horrible as it looks. The flavor is elusive and difficult to describe, but I'll try: “Kinda yucky.” Hey, that wasn't so hard after all. (Sometimes I forget I'm a goddamn wordsmith.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
Ozoneocean at 4:07PM, Dec. 11, 2008
(online)
This:
Puff_Of_Smoke
The Title
Well it's just another form of entertainment like eny other… But usually not as entertaining as most.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Senshuu at 6:19PM, Dec. 11, 2008
(offline)
Apart from my artblogs on blogspot and livejournal, I have two kind of official blogs, one of-yet-unused general thoughts and ideas blog, and yet another Japan blog about random Japanese things which will someday host my exploits there.

I estimate both will get more interesting when I start traveling, because travel is always interesting. Until then… hmm…
:D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Croi Dhubh at 9:11AM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
I think it really depends on the blog. If people are doing them to give them a sense as being a journalist/news reporter, then they need to understand that just because they have a place where their writing is hosted, it doesn't make them someone to be taken seriously.

If someone is doing it to screw around and entertain people, then they might succeed. For instance, Maddox doesn't write to be taken seriously, he writes things in a manner which is over the top to entertain.

Then there are those who blog because they want a journal of their life…some think others want to know and some do it just because. I could care less with the “about my life because people want to know all about me” even more than the “just because”. Both are boring autobiographies, but at least one doesn't try to give them an over inflated feeling of self esteem.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:55AM
GiantPinkWalrus at 10:45AM, Dec. 12, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
This:
Puff_Of_Smoke
The Title
Well it's just another form of entertainment like any other… But usually not as entertaining as most.

Fixed it there for you, bud.

Also blogs are boring to read. I'd rather read about someone interesting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
skoolmunkee at 12:22PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
I find most blogs to be pretty boring, unless they were created with a specific purpose in mind. Blogs where the authors have created them to just write about whatever may come to their mind ALWAYS turn out to be boring and sometimes whiny.

I have a livejournal but I only use it as a way to update friends about what's going on with me, they use theirs for the same thing. It's convenient and informal, but anyone outside coming to read it would be bored and think I'm a terrible writer.

Creating a good, useful blog is hard work. It's true that anyone can make one, but you have to be a good writer and have interesting things to say to take it to a level where it can be enjoyed by a lot of people. I think the only blog I read is Neil Gaimans, which is always an interesting mix of his work and tours, weird things that happen to him and his family/pets, and general interest or comic related news/happenings.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
Custard Trout at 12:29PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
I generally read blogs where the writer is doing stupid things to himself for the entertainment of strangers (such as Steve, Don't Eat It! That's hilarious, how did I not find it before?), some animation news blogs, a couple of sketch blogs, and this awesome one with music from monster movies. That's about it.

Is it just me, or is the word ‘blog’ really stupid?
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
Peipei at 1:06PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
I used to blog…My blog is still up, I just don't update it anymore. It was about sprite making or something… :p hehehe.

Like Skool said, creating a blog, especially one that people will read, takes a ton of time and effort. Many people just don't have that amount of time. Speaking for myself, I am not really the best at writing things xD.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Senshuu at 1:27PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
I wouldn't just sit down and read about some normal person's life. That's boring. That's what I have LJ for… with a bunch of privatized friends.

There has to be a catch to blogs. Like with the Black English teacher in Japan and his crazy kancho antics….. I actually haven't checked that one in years, and I NEED TO.
:D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Hawk at 1:41PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(online)
I only read blogs that are exclusively about something I'm interested in, like art or video games. I never read blogs that only exist for somebody to vent their opinions.

Custard Trout
Is it just me, or is the word ‘blog’ really stupid?

Yes, it's really stupid. It's a mark of laziness that we turn a simple two-syllable word into an ugly-sounding one-syllable word. Plus, there's nothing worse than hearing your aunt or grandma use the word “blog”. That's when you know it's not new or cool anymore.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Chernobog at 3:06PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
I don't read em. Never really quite caught on what was so fascinating about the lives of random uninteresting people with overly loud self important opinions writing about what kind of muffin they had for breakfast. Name's fitting, anyway. ‘Blog’ sounds like something left in the toilet after a half forgotten hard night. :p

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Ironscarfs Ghost at 3:51PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
I came across one good one once: a guy who played the double bass and travelled a lot - sounded like a member of the British aristocracy.

He obviously had a life to actually write about, unlike most who are writing because they don't have anything better to do. I haven't been able to find it since.
Er……..boo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Tyris at 3:12AM, Dec. 13, 2008
(online)
As with all things, 90% are rubbish and 10% are worth reading.* This being the Internet, without publishers' houses filtering out most of the 90%, it's a bit harder to find the good ones.

*Statistic is not even slightly measured, but if you want to try to verify it, go right ahead.
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon