Interviews

Bocaj interviews Seventy2!
skoolmunkee at 6:58AM, April 3, 2008
(offline)
This interview is conducted by Bocaj!

Username: seventy2
Comic: Ninja Wedding, The Good Life

Please summarize the plot for those who don't know it (I'm looking at you!!).

Ninja Wedding is about a guy, who decides at the last second to ditch his wedding. His best man backs up the decision and the resulting fights that come from him running away…cause apparently they all know kung fu. Like Keanu Reeves.

How much time does it take for you to draw a comic?

I take about 5 minutes to decide what I want on the paper, then I leave. I come back a couple hours later, and spend about 1-2 hours doing the initial drawing. Then it sits on the table for ever. Then the night before, I ink it and shade it in about 1-1/2 hours. So total it's like 3-4 hours. Or like 5 days.

Do you have any artists which you look up too or inspire to be like?

Anyone who can put what they see in their head on the paper. That's one of my biggest problems, it never looks close. And I wouldn't mind if I was able to get more of a cartoony look like Between Failures by crave the bullet

Do you aspire for a sketchy style on purpose, or does it come naturally to you?

It comes naturally. I prefer it tho, because I like to hold the pencil in my hand, and drawing straight lines or perfect circles just screws up any looks I want.

How much does music influence your comic or art (if at all)? (I ask this because of those pictures you had with the people playing instruments. They looked good!)

I do not draw without music. It really influences my mood, and so what exactly happens in the comic is normally set by the first couple songs that play…it will become more apparent in The Good Life, as more are added. (Those band pictures were inspired more by the author of Naruto. I saw that picture, and just had to draw it, with slight variations.)

I like the little bits of comedy incorporated into the mostly serious plot! Do you worry that these comedic subtleties take away from the drama?

HA!! That's funny, because I intended for Ninja wedding to be comedic in nature, with dramatic subtleties. But I've never been good with constant joking. So to answer your question, no I don't worry about that….. I don't like to be serious all the time….
You have attempted to color your comics, and personally I liked the colored pencils. Why didn't you keep on trying new things?

As far as the coloring goes… that was the longest comic ever…. there are 4 variations sitting on my floor, it added an extra 4 hours to one comic… I try to add new things, that someone suggests nicely. Like actual panels…but before I do, I'll print a copy and do the changes that way and ask if it's liked or not.

Do you think that Washington D.C. should gain statehood?

I don't see why not, other than we'd have an odd number of stars on the flag. And odd is just… odd

What is the most frustrating thing for you to draw?

#1. facial features, they just never seem to stay the same. And I can never get the detail I want in them.
#2. hands, I get a lot of compliments on the pictures with large hands drawn. But when they're in a full picture with the rest of the body, they get all mushed….

What are the origins of the plot and name of Ninja Wedding?

Well, when I deployed last august, I had 240 episodes of Naruto, and 24 episodes of Shippuuden. My buddy likes some anime, so I decided to get him addicted. When we weren't working, we were at the gym or watching Naruto. We watched nothing else, it took us a full month and a half…near the end of episode 240, he started talking about marriage with his girlfriend. And whenever I would call my (then) wife, she'd talk about how she was the bride's maid…and I was all like “bleh, this is stooped, I bet you're gonna run away” and he was all like, "dude, she'll totally beat my " and then I drew the first comic…

Please describe your updating schedule to those who don't know it. *Evil glare*

Well, on months that I'm home, it's MWF…and The Good Life is updated sporadically….right now both comics are on hiatus due to my lack of scanner….

I noticed that you have a Christian comic called The Good Life. What inspired you to make this?

I needed an outlet for what's going on in my life, and also I wanted to do something for my faith, and that was the result. And each comic is inspired by the most pressing issues at the time I make it.

If you were a Pokemon, which one would you be? (Out of the original 151. The others don't count. (Sorry Mudkip.)

Wow, it's been like sixth grade since I've seen the original Pokemon……hold on a second……*five minutes later* I would defiantly be a Pysduck…ditsy, and always there at random moments….but can be relied upon when needed….wow that made me feel like a nerd

WHY. (That was a statement)

Alex, what is because?

What is more important to you: story, or art??

In my comic, art is. If you can't see or tell what's going on, I might as well just write a book and have you read instead, and nobody wants that.

In others' comics, I like a nice balance of the two.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
seventy2 at 9:02AM, April 3, 2008
(online)
i went to the interviewee's webpage, and dang. that guy's good looking….
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
TheMidge28 at 6:49AM, April 4, 2008
(online)
Bocaj did such a great job with his interview questions.
Maybe someone should consider having him do this on a regular basis. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:24PM
lucky7s76 at 8:39AM, April 4, 2008
(offline)
I had to laugh at how long it takes you to make a comic because it reminds me so much of myself… of course, I have to do digital editing as well, but the drawing part is pretty much the same. :)
By the time you finish this, you'll have read it. :3

deviantART
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
skoolmunkee at 10:17AM, April 4, 2008
(offline)
I would totally be an Arcanine because, dogs
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
Bocaj at 2:08PM, April 4, 2008
(online)
TheMidge28
Bocaj did such a SEXY job with his SEXY interview questions.
Maybe someone SEXY should consider having him do this on a regular basis. ;)

Think about it skool! ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:31AM
lba at 2:12PM, April 4, 2008
(online)
Crud, I barely remember pokemon. But psyduck would definitely fit. :)
I've lurked my way through The Good Life and it's a really good bit to read through.

How does one get involved in this project? I'd like to interview someone and get involved.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
TheMidge28 at 2:29PM, April 4, 2008
(online)
lba
How does one get involved in this project? I'd like to interview someone and get involved.

To answer your question, lba, think of this batch of interviews as a test pilot. Based upon the response from the rest of the users and if its a good response, skoolmunkee will make this into a regular thing where new people can sign up and interview other users.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:24PM
Skullbie at 7:03PM, April 4, 2008
(online)
lol nice Seventy2 ^^
Psyduck? B-but theres awesome ones to pick from like metwo, arcanine, mew, blastoise, missingno…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:45PM
seventy2 at 3:41PM, April 5, 2008
(online)
yeah, i could only remember the main ones that misty, ash, and broc had….so i went based of those….and made up a story to go along with it…

thanks everyone…
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
spiritmonkey at 2:08AM, April 6, 2008
(offline)
Those were some good questions
I'd definately join if this thing was continued
Timmy And the Bleach

There are many things in this world that are uncertain
I'd say I'm one of them
But I'm not sure
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
Bocaj at 5:53AM, April 6, 2008
(online)
spiritmonkey
Those were some good questions

Skool!
Maybe I should be a permanent question asker??
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:31AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon