Media Megaforum

Bone: The Movie
Walrus at 1:29PM, March 27, 2008
(online)
From boneville.com: The news broke this week that Vijaya and I made a deal with Warner Bros. for the film rights to BONE. You can get the details at Variety and The Hollywood Reporter.

The whole thing happened very quickly last Friday night. Warners called and made us a real offer, it was as simple as that. They stated their seriousness to stay true to the books, and after a couple of back and forths, the whole thing was over in an hour and a half. Vijaya and I had a celebratory drink and went to bed. We woke up Saturday morning to find the internet on fire!

There’s a lot of speculation about what the film will look like, but I honestly don’t know yet. I’m partial to 2D, but if something else looks freaking mind-blowing, I’m open to it.

Not much more to say at this point. We’re at the very beginning of the process, and anything can happen.

I have to admit, though, the idea of the Looney Tunes WB shield zooming out at the beginning of a BONE movie would be pretty cool. Fingers crossed!

From http://www.pinkraygun.com/2008/03/08/bone-the-movie/: Warner Bros. has picked up film rights to Jeff Smith’s independent comic book series Bone.

Hollywood Reporter says that an animated version of Bone had been in development with Nickelodeon, but the project fell through when the studio tried to make it a kids’ animated musical. It has not been determined if the Warner Bros. Bone project will be live-action, animated, or some blend of both.

Dan Lin is on board to produce Bone. Lin’s other “in development” productions are Doom Patrol, Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, The Sword of Shannara, Metal Men, and Johnny Quest.

I smell geek-turned-producer.

From: http://screenrant.com/archives/warner-bros-to-produce-bone-mo-1449.html: What is Bone?

It's the most successful indie comic book series, and probably one of my favorite trade paperback collections (or, I guess if you want to call it that, a graphic novel) of all time. I rate it up there with Iron Man: Armor Wars, Watchmen, and almost anything featuring Batman in the “looking awesome” department.

Anyway, Bone tells the story of three cousins (Fone, the hero; Phoney, the greedy one; and Smiley, the easy-going, not-so-smart one) who are run out of town after one of Phoney's schemes backfires. They end up in a valley where they meet the beautiful human Thorn and her Grandma, Ben. It's a huge, epic adventure that is very similar to Lord of the Rings and other great movies, books, you name it.

So now Warner Bros. wants to produce either a live action or animated version of it for the big screen, and I couldn't be happier. After a visit to creator Jeff Smith's site (www.Boneville.com), I learned on the message board a couple of years ago that at one point Nickelodeon was producing the film, but they wanted a pop song from a la Britney Spears or something, and Smith walked.

Good move.

Anyway, I started reading the black and white indie comics in 1993, because I had heard so many great things about it. I bought trade paperbacks (graphic novels) of around 7-8 issues, and instantly fell in love. Three TPBs equals one part of the “trilogy,” I believe. You should really pick up the books, which are being re-released in color. Or you can buy the One Volume Edition, which is the cheapest route. It's in glorious black and white.

I bought the OVE back in 2005 and finished reading the book that way, and read it again last year. Heck, this news makes me want to re-read it one more time! It's that great! Do yourself a favor and read Bone. There's also a video game.

I'm an up-and-coming filmmaker, and my two biggest dream projects were to direct movie versions of Iron Man and Bone. I'm just happy that Iron Man is kicking butt with Jon Favreau directing, and I hope WB does Bone justice (make it animated, please!).

I'm excited about Bone the movie, and I hope after reading it, you will be, too.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
Steely Gaze at 4:08PM, March 27, 2008
(offline)
Freakin' awesome! I consider Bone to be the most perfect comic ever created, so I'm eager to see what a movie would be like. I'd prefer it to be traditionally animated, to retain the feel of the original comics, and to help it stand out from the mess of 3D movies currently plaguing the market. But we'll see what they do.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this actually turns out to be good, and not a waste of time.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
isukun at 10:29PM, March 27, 2008
(online)
As much as I'd love to see Bone as a 2D animated film, I'd be willing to bet it will end up either a live action/3D hybrid or a straight 3D film instead. Warner jumped on the CG bandwagon right after Disney and fired all their 2D animators or moved them into 3D studios. They don't really have any dedicated 2D studios anymore and all their TV shows and direct to video stuff they farm out to overseas companies. For a theatrical feature, I doubt they would rely on foreign animators, especially if Smith is supposed to have a hand in this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Frostflowers at 5:58AM, March 28, 2008
(online)
Unfortunately, isukun is probably right about the 3D/live-action thing - I'd love to see Bone in 2D, because Smith's art has this lovely animation-like quality already, but if Warner's already gotten rid of their 2D-animators, that probably isn't going to happen.

Still, if they keep true to the source-material as far as the story is concerned, that's the main thing. I can stand watching a movie that isn't up to my visual standards, as long as the script is good.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Ziffy88 at 8:59AM, March 28, 2008
(offline)
Actually 2D animation would work best, all real 3D animation would be okay because Bone does not have a realistic style so it could work better than most other so called “3d animation” movies like Beowulf(which I loved, but I see all the problems).
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved