Meet, Greet, Show and Sell*

Bonjour!
dpat57 at 2:47AM, Aug. 11, 2009
(offline)
…That's about the only French I can remember from school, aside from the rude words that made Teacher angry. Not that I'm from France, I'm Scottish. That wee country tacked onto the top of England, infested with vampire sheep and packs of wild haggis that can bring down a grown man in seconds and drag his squealing body back to their dark caves for their young to consume.

Er, anyways, I'm into reading and making webcomics and everyone keeps mentioning Drunk Duck, so I thought I'd sign up and see what's happening here.

Just to give an idea of my tastes, favorites and regular reads include Girl Genius, Gunnerkrigg Court, Atland, The Abominable Charles Christopher, Good Ship Chronicles, Penny and Aggie, The Night Owls, Lovecraft is Missing, Spying With Lana, Terra, Jack P. Chill, Penny Arcade, Air Force Blues, and many more.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
amanda at 7:21AM, Aug. 11, 2009
(online)
Welcome to the Duck, DPat! Scotland's a place I want to visit one day (and properly visit some of my cousins) - but I wasn't aware of the wild haggis pack threat. Guess I need to pack a shotgun or something. OR I could study their customs a while from afar, and then use my knowledge to infiltrate one of their packs and ingratiate myself to the leader, thereby gaining the ability to freely roam Scotland with minimal worry.

In any case, I see many of my favorites among your list, and then there are some I haven't heard of! I'll have to scope those out.

Hope you'll enjoy your stay here and that you'll find many more comics to follow =D
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
Ironscarf at 1:49PM, Aug. 11, 2009
(offline)
Hello dpat57, I'm glad you stopped by: I think the Scots are a charming race, apart from Mel Gibson that is.
I once caught a trout in a loch and had it for breakfast. Does that make me a cold blooded killer? It was damn tasty, I know that much.
I am also partial to haggis, although I prefer to take them back to my cave.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
dpat57 at 12:22AM, Aug. 12, 2009
(offline)
Thanks for the welcome!

Travel hint: airport Customs don't take kindly to finding shotguns in luggage. I knooooow, incredible isn't it?

Survival hint: unless you have one leg shorter than the other (necessary for walking on steep Scottish hillsides) the haggis pack will see through your cunning subterfuge.

A former workmate is into trout fishing (heck, any kind of fishing) and used to talk at length of his exploits, boring everyone to death, until I said I'd be a lot more impressed if he'd waded naked into the water and caught a trout with his teeth, a true test of Man against Nature. Oddly enough the fish conversations stopped after that.

Gotta love the Fear the Haggis pic! :) I know people who look exactly like that.

…And impressed by Son of Boomzilla, that's a nice-lookin' piece of work.
Ryan_Scott at 3:09PM, Aug. 12, 2009
(online)
Aaah haggis, how I miss your bold and gristly flavour! I don't miss scottish beer though, I mean seriously for a nation of piss heads you think you'd know how to brew a decent drop yourself!

Ok I got lost there somewhere, but welcome!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:15PM
ParkerFarker at 6:08AM, Aug. 13, 2009
(online)
Ironscarf
I think the Scots are a charming race, apart from Mel Gibson that is.
Mel Gibson is Australian. I'm not sure why I'm proud of that but I am.

and WELCOME Dpat, is it ok if I read all your posts from now on in a Scottish accent?

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
dpat57 at 7:00AM, Aug. 13, 2009
(offline)
Thanks chaps, jolly good show. :) I worked in a bar for a couple of years (live rock bands every weekend, yay! my hearing usually returned around Tuesday) and tested every drink they had, but never did find one I liked. Beats me why they never tried brewing haggis beer. There's a fortune waiting to be made. Though I wouldn't like to have to mop up the sick.

Och aye, feel free tae read this in a Scottish accent, of which there are many! Fact: all languages are descended from the original Scots tongue. It's twue I tell ye! Just look on the flip side of the Rosetta Stone. First line, “See you, Jimmy!” Last line, “Stitch this!”
AshleeS at 3:08PM, Aug. 16, 2009
(online)
I'm more partial to German and Japanese, myself. *smokes pipe*
There was a banner here, it's gone now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
dpat57 at 7:42AM, Aug. 18, 2009
(offline)
AshleeS
I'm more partial to German and Japanese, myself. *smokes pipe*
Come now, if that were really the case then you would have written raucht Rohr and :) <–this might have been almost funny if the Kanji characters hadn't gone ape on me…

Oddly enough my comics get a lot of hits from Germany and Japan. I think maybe they're preparing lawsuits.
AshleeS at 3:26PM, Aug. 19, 2009
(online)
I'd probably have said, “Guten tag! Ich heisse AshleeS. Brauchen Sie einen warm kalt Cola? (Es ist eine Falle).”

I took German 1,2, and 3 a year ago, and haven't used it since, so my memory of it is always a little fuzzy. Regardless, I can barely talk to people in German, so writing is my best bet.
There was a banner here, it's gone now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon