Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Books and such?
Arconna at 10:01PM, March 20, 2006
(offline)
I hope this hasn't been drilled through here a dozen times before…
I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions of some good sort of tutorial type books for more cartoon/strip style of comic art? As in non-DC non-Marvel type. Hope that makes sense. I already run a comic, but came up with a new idea for a comic, and well, my artistic abilities are next to nil when it comes to the techniques and what not, and a really good sort of reference book to help me develop would be great.
Granted, I know practice makes perfect, but I would just like to have something I can use to teach me the techniques that others use, so I can use that towards developing my own style.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:01AM
Eggbert at 10:23PM, March 20, 2006
(offline)
If you've asked for advice before, I'm sure you've heard this before, but you should learn how to draw from life before you seriously think about developing a “style”. This is a mistake many young artists (myself included) make. Once you understand how to draw the human form at a compitent level, everything else becomes easy. Well, not everything, but a lot of things.

And see, here's this as well. Cartoons are simplified abstractions of reality. But to properly distort anything, you should understand it in its original state first. Once you can draw from life, it becomes easy to twist it about into a cartoon type drawing that will have a solid enought connection to reality to be both believeable and pleasing to the eye.

So basically, do not try and develope a “style” before you try to learn from life drawing. If you develope a style too early in your artistic life, you'll have difficulty later not drawing things in that style, which will be detrimental to your growth as an artist. All the great comic artists learned traditionally how to draw reality before abstracting it into those styles we love so much.

If you really want a “cartooning” book, just go to your local book store and flip around. I find those kinds of books to be rubbish personally. You could learn the same things those books will teach you by looking at a lot of comics you own or on the internet, and just by drawing a lot of comics yourself, cuz nothing teaches like experience. If you want a life drawing book, I highly recommend Bridgeman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life, along with actually going out and drawing actual people.

Well. That was my rant on the dangers of developing an artistic style before you can draw realistically. That you for reading.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
Arconna at 10:52PM, March 20, 2006
(offline)
Thanks very much for your response. It is actually really helpful. I'll look into that book. I think my biggest problem is that all through school art classes (college and highschool and before), there's never been any room to move to things besides circles and stupid things like that. Like, the last art class I took was fun because I got to mess with charcoal for the first time, and that became my favorite medium, but there wasn't any sort of direction for drawing in reality. We drew leaves, and did weird doodles of the teachers dogs, but that didn't help me learn drawing actual people, or real things other than leaves. Anyway, I"m rambling, but hopefully you understand what I mean.
I think mostly I just wanted a book that would teach me the basics for all those guidelines and what not. I've never understood them cause I've never had anyone teach them to me. But I will seriously look into the book you mentioned and try my best to do what you have said.

Thanks very much :).
Arconna at 10:52PM, March 23, 2006
(offline)
Well, the only class that I remember that I actually got to do ‘OTHER’ things, and was taught the techniques (like shading, etc etc etc.), was a class in Highschool. The last art class I took however was at the college here and while I did get an A, I didn't learn anything in the class (which has since led me to drop classes where I am not being taught anything. I like getting A's, but I want to know I've earned the damn grade). But this lady was crazy. She just told you to do things, but didn't really show you how, or give you instructions for it. She would just say “lets practice shading” when the class is supposed to be a beginners class, and so you'd sit there, and if you are like me where your brain is not automatically artistic (as far as drawing, etc.) you literally just sit there and maybe you doodle and that's about it. Really, the class was only good for people who already knew how to draw and knew the basics.
In any case, there just isn't a great arts program here :S. Granted, the art history classes are great, but the actual art stuff is lacking if you do anything besides painting or pottery. Would be great if they offered a class that actually taught you how to draw lol.
Giandroid at 5:49AM, March 25, 2006
(offline)
Every time I leave the house, I have a few things that I make sure to take with me every single time.
I have my iPod, because you just can't walk without Lemon Demon playing Your Evil Shadow Has A Cup Of Tea, my cell phone, so I can call someone to tell them how great Thank You For Smoking was, and lastly my backpack, which consists of a Nintendo DS, my cartoon portfolio, and a copy of Human Anatomy Made Amazingly Easy.

I have other art books, but that's the one I just take with me everywhere. It walks you through all the things that make comic life just a lil' harder, from the full frame right down to the eyes and ears. It even has a brief section on shading.

I also have How To Draw The Marvel Way, which I rarely consult, but sometimes do when I have to make another Political Spectrum Ninja Association comic, because it has good action. And because Stan Lee is the man.

But for the most part, Human Anatomy Made Amazingly Easy is my handy book. I use it all the time. And I have yet to find a problem with it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
T_K at 6:52AM, March 25, 2006
(offline)
heck that drawing from life shit is overrated I mean look at me! I've never done it and I still suck! YE AH!

PS: listen to them about the drawing from life thing or else you end up like me…. wich isnt a good thing. iiiiindeed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved