Debate and Discussion

Books that are challenged or banned for stupid reasons.
Jake Richmond at 8:34AM, Jan. 26, 2011
(online)
Someone
In Real life, Teachers or other adults doesn't even TRY to do anything when they see this kind of shit going on. Most of the time they just turn their backs on the whole thing, usually out of fear of the bully or simply because they didn't care enough to get involved.

As a real life teacher I'll call you on this. I've never turned my back on bullying in my class. I've bever known a teacher I've worked with to do so either. Certainly there must be teachers somewhere who don't care enough to intervene, but it's absolutely not the common place occurance you make it out to be.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Aurora Moon at 7:15AM, Jan. 27, 2011
(offline)
actually I think it would have to depend on the schools and the location.

it's VERY commonplace in some schools, while not so much in other schools.

you see, some schools in the Midwest has this viewpoint that it's normal for kids to pick on each other. and thus they have a very loose definition of what bullying is. and so because bullying is not clearly defined, they will often deny that anything goes on their classes.

or they will simply ignore it outright, just thinking that it's normal teenage behavior or something.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
Jake Richmond at 7:39AM, Jan. 27, 2011
(online)
Okay, that is true. I also think a lot of bullying does go unrecognized. Maybe it is a regional issue as well. I'm also willing to accept that I may have worked in districts that have a lower tolerence for that kind of thing, and built in expectations for what a teacher will do in those situations.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
lefarce at 11:20AM, Feb. 3, 2011
(offline)
DAJB
Bone (series), by Jeff Smith
– Reasons: Sexually Explicit content, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group, Drugs

It has been a really long time since I read this, so I'm not sure where that “sexually explicit content” is, but didn't they run Bone in Disney Adventures?

Someone
Maus, by Art Spiegelman
- Reason: Anti Ethnic

Wow.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
patrickdevine at 9:44PM, Feb. 9, 2011
(online)
lefarce
DAJB
Bone (series), by Jeff Smith
– Reasons: Sexually Explicit content, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group, Drugs

It has been a really long time since I read this, so I'm not sure where that “sexually explicit content” is, but didn't they run Bone in Disney Adventures?

The closest thing to sexually explicit I recall is the the founder of Boneville was named “Big Johnson Bone.” I still think it's a stretch as Shrek got away with more than that.
I don't think Bone ever ran in Disney Adventures but I do know that Jeff Smith was influenced by the Uncle Scrooge comics.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
lefarce at 3:22PM, Feb. 10, 2011
(offline)
patrickdevine
The closest thing to sexually explicit I recall is the the founder of Boneville was named “Big Johnson Bone.” I still think it's a stretch as Shrek got away with more than that.
I don't think Bone ever ran in Disney Adventures but I do know that Jeff Smith was influenced by the Uncle Scrooge comics.

According to www.boneville.com/bone/bone-history/ “The first six issues of BONE were serialized in eight page chunks in the popular children’s magazine Disney Adventure Digest over a two year period.”

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
elektro at 7:03PM, Feb. 10, 2011
(online)
I don't know about sexual content in Bone, but I do remember a scene, near the very end, where a guy's torso is separated from his legs via scythe.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
patrickdevine at 9:38PM, Feb. 12, 2011
(online)
lefarce
According to www.boneville.com/bone/bone-history/ “The first six issues of BONE were serialized in eight page chunks in the popular children’s magazine Disney Adventure Digest over a two year period.”

I guess I stand corrected. Cool!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Product Placement at 11:28AM, Feb. 15, 2011
(online)
DAJB
Depending on which part of the relevant library these were in, it's possible that some of the “Unsuited to age group” and “Sexually explicit content” complaints could be justified, but I'm kind of amused (and more than a little horrified!) that someone would complain about Maus on the grounds that it's “anti-ethnic” …
Ha ha ha. I stopped on the exact same title and thought the exact same thing, when I looked through that list.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Corruption at 6:00AM, June 11, 2011
(offline)
I would love to see them trying to ban the Bible on the grounds that it contains supernatural themes, animal sacrifice, tells people to slaughter enter ethnic groups, promotes slavery, religous discrimation and more.

Hey, if one school could ban “Where's Wally” on the grounds it had supernatural theames, then I don't see the problem with banning the Bible.
We are all corrupt in our own ways
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
Ally Haert at 8:42PM, June 11, 2011
(online)
1984 and Fahrenheit 451 have both been banned. Big surprise.

*sigh* This is a really good example of why we are choosing to homeschool our kids. This thread depresses me. ):
“No one can go back to start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending,” Maria Ross.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
MadTarnsman at 8:09PM, June 13, 2011
(online)
The United States shouldn't be challenging ANY books. Right at the top of the list we pride ourselves on a Free Press….Free Speech….and yet the Politically Correct and the liberal douchebags try to hold literature hostage because they don't agree with the subject matter or they can't stand that the book was written in another time and that's the way people talked.

With more and more people on the street standing up and shouting “Enough!!!” this trend seems to be getting better….as in abating….but there's a lot further to go.

The Third Reich burned books.

In this age where kids would rather XBox themselves into a coma with carpal tunnel, we should be PROMOTING all the books we can and celebrating their diversity, not goosestepping along with MSNBC or whoever thinks they control the People. This is the kind of sneaky, behind the scenes shit that makes me ashamed of some of my fellow Americans sometimes.

It's probably also why I'm considered a militia member just because I belong to Oath Keepers.

“Life comes at ya pretty fast, sometimes….double tap to the head if it does….”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
SLK8ne at 8:10PM, Oct. 18, 2012
(online)
I think a lot of this is just politics. Doesn't have anthing to do with the books themselves.
Though The Anarchist Cookbook….yeah, I can see why they don't want that in the school library. Can you say “School sued because teenager blows himself up” boys and girls?
But, some of it is just plain baffling. For Whom The Bell Tolls? Of Mice And Men? Lord of the Flies? To Kill A Mockingbird? What are they going to ban next, the Illiad? (full of bloodshed)
For Pete's sake! These are CLASSICS of western littrature!
But, when common sense fails, politics will fill the void! (blech)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved