Media Megaforum

Books To Movies: Good Choices and Bad Choices
Custard Trout at 10:45PM, April 10, 2009
(offline)
Books do not make good movies, ever. Even if they do stay as true to the source material as they can, they still miss the point (Watchmen, for example).

Movies of books never, ever work. For the love of god, please stop trying.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
Exzachly at 6:30AM, April 11, 2009
(online)
Custard Trout
Books do not make good movies, ever. Even if they do stay as true to the source material as they can, they still miss the point (Watchmen, for example).

Movies of books never, ever work. For the love of god, please stop trying.

I saw this movie called the Godfather once… It was a pretty good adaptation of a book. I saw this other one, called Jurassic Park. I liked that one ok. I saw this other one recently, it was called Slumdog Millionare or something and I thought it was kinda good.

Anyways, one movie that is coming out that I think will make a better movie than a book is The Road. The book suffered from the author's lackluster and redundant descriptions. It would be much more elegant as a movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
DAJB at 10:23AM, April 11, 2009
(online)
Custard Trout
Books do not make good movies, ever.
To Kill a Mockingbird? Gone With The Wind? Catch 22? The Lord of the Rings?

Can't help thinking that statement may be just a tad too black and white!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
ozoneocean at 11:21AM, April 11, 2009
(online)
Exzachly
I saw this other one, called Jurassic Park
Hey, I saw that one too! :)
If the movie was better than the book, that mush have been a REEEAAAALY shit book -_-

Are books made from movies any good?
I think so. Tank girl was an interesting film, it went a bit awry from the comic, but in its own right it was pretty cool… I read a novelisation based on the story from the film (with the comic influencing it heavily), and that was trite and silly, but quite cool in its own way too.

The day of the Triffids in its adaptions is quite different to the source material, but all the versions are still interesting.

David Lynche's Dune was something quite different to Frank Herbert's, but even so there are things to recommend it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
humorman at 3:42PM, April 11, 2009
(offline)
Twilight was good.

Billy vs. Tree – The epic struggle of boy versus tree.
Sonic Colores – It looks like it's going to be a good game because I love how the way it makes me grow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
kyupol at 8:12PM, April 11, 2009
(online)
Make a movie or anime out of Thiaoouba Prophecy.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
fern at 9:34PM, April 11, 2009
(online)
Exzachly

I think that movie should have been called, Billy and the Cloneasaurus.

Oh, and what about Sideways? That was a book.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
Hyena H_ll at 9:41PM, April 11, 2009
(online)
And here I thought I was the only person to have seen “Day of the Triffods”. (I used to own it…)

The only book-to-film movies (of books I've read/ films I've seen/ that I can think of) I liked: “The Shining” and “A Clockwork Orange” (Kubrik, man. Can't go wrong.) I actually liked “The Shining” film way better than the book, but I ain't a Stevie fan.

A lot of my favorite books have been made into movies, but I haven't much liked 'em. I guess if you count “Heart of Darkness” to “Apocalypse Now”.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Custard Trout at 10:04PM, April 11, 2009
(offline)
DAJB
Custard Trout
Books do not make good movies, ever.
To Kill a Mockingbird? Gone With The Wind? Catch 22? The Lord of the Rings?

Can't help thinking that statement may be just a tad too black and white!

None of them as good as the books. With the exception of Lord of the Rings, which is vastly overrated in both forms.
isukun at 1:06AM, April 12, 2009
(online)
Stand By Me was better than the Body. Of course, that can be said of just about any movie based on a Stephan King novel that isn't made by Stephan King.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
skoolmunkee at 3:15AM, April 12, 2009
(online)
This whole thread has been people replying to Custard's stupid blanket statement instead of what Freegurt posted, which I think would be more interesting to talk about instead. :[

People who are interested in books to movies that have already been made can see a big list of them here- Based on the Book

I'd love to see a movie made of some of the Antarctic exploration books I've got, like Scott's diary. I'm not sure they would make great movies though because although exciting and dangerous things happen, everyone usually dies at the end. Then again, lots of modern movies have ‘unhappy’ endings.

I've been reading lots of MR James short stories, his ghost stories set up a lot of now-cliche horror elements like photographs/drawings that move and replay scenes. I'd like to see a series of his stories done up like short tv episodes or something. Because they're so old though, they're not particularly scary anymore- what scared Victorians doesn't scare us, and as I said, a lot of the scary things he used are almost cliche now… edit: I know some adaptations have been done by the BBC but they're all old and/or lost.

I'd LOVE to see a World War Z movie. I'm surprised they haven't made one yet actually. edit: in production!

The Pillars of the Earth is an epic book and might make a good miniseries but unless they cut a lot out it will end up being fairly boring overall. Oryx and Crake is a great book, but again, would probably end up terribly boring as a movie.

I also dislike most movies made from children's books, usually because they dumb the book down, or cast precocious children, or try too hard to make it all magical fantasy world happiness setting. For that reason I hope they don't make movies of Garth Nix's Sabriel series, or some of my other favorite kids' books.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Custard Trout at 3:28AM, April 12, 2009
(offline)
skoolmunkee
This whole thread has been people replying to Custard's stupid blanket statement instead of what Freegurt posted, which I think would be more interesting to talk about instead. :[

You're confusing ‘stupid’ with ‘accurate’.
skoolmunkee at 3:46AM, April 12, 2009
(online)
Custard Trout

Why don't you contribute to the original question, which included the option to talk about books you love which you think would make bad movies? :] Instead of being useless.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
DAJB at 6:51AM, April 12, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
Good point!

I'd like to see someone try to film G.K.Chesterton's The Napoleon of Notting Hill - a quirky little story about an alternative Britain in which the monarch is elected at random, by lottery. The new King effectively grants independent state status to the various London boroughs which - thanks to the “Napoleon” of the title - proceed to engage each other in civil war!

I'd also like to see Enid Blyton's Famous Five or Adventure books adapted for film, except it's all too painfully obvious in advance that the result would feature a bunch of frightfully well-spoken English child actors who'd barely pass muster in a school play. Or, alternatively, they'd be updated to the 21st Century and feature a cast of equally obnoxious smart-mouthed American teens!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
parkbenchbook at 10:06AM, April 12, 2009
(offline)
I think “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” worked well in the film version.

I saw Choke recently and it followed the book so literally that it was hard to remember anything of the movie, even right after I saw it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Sea_Cow at 10:08AM, April 12, 2009
(offline)
humorman
Twilight was good.

Fuck you.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
Custard Trout at 11:50AM, April 12, 2009
(offline)
skoolmunkee
Custard Trout

Why don't you contribute to the original question, which included the option to talk about books you love which you think would make bad movies? :] Instead of being useless.

Being useless is easier.
Dark Pascual at 3:01PM, April 12, 2009
(online)
I would like to see Asimov's Foundation Trilogy made into a movie…I know that the “I, Robot” movie was a disaster, but just give the project to somebody else…An smart writer, good director and talented cast could make an epic and inteligent movie…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
isukun at 12:29AM, April 13, 2009
(online)
I'd LOVE to see a World War Z movie. I'm surprised they haven't made one yet actually. edit: in production!

I kind of disagree on that one. The book isn't really structured well for a movie, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it change quite a bit for any sort of adaptation. Apart from making a parody documentary (which wouldn't be likely to sell), it really would have to be something very different from the book.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Aurora Borealis at 5:26AM, April 13, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Exzachly
If the movie was better than the book, that mush have been a REEEAAAALY shit book -_-
Umm, the movie got everything upside down. The boy was older and into computers while his sister was little, less than ten if I remember. There was a lot of chaos theory/supercomputers/cloning technology stuff that was cut out from the movie and if it was adapted properly, it'd be R rated due to the dinosaurs being a lot more vicious (I thinkthe book actually opens with a scene where on a nearby island a family is attacked bya group of small dinosaurs, among them a little kid who either gets badly bitten or even killed… haven't read the book in ages).

And plenty other stuff. Overall, book is much better and Crichton is a sellout for writing a sequel to the MOVIE and not to his own book (possibly only situation when I can call someone a sellout and not feel silly for using this term).

ozoneocean
David Lynche's Dune was something quite different to Frank Herbert's, but even so there are things to recommend it.

There would be a damn good Dune movie if it wasn't for the distribution problems :P

Jodorowsky was going to direct it. Moebius was hired to do storyboards and designs, Salvador Dali was involved too and H.R. Giger designed the Harkonnen stuff, while special effects were going to be made by Dan O'Bannon. They had all the money necessary to produce it, but they wouldn't get enough US screens to break even, so the whole thing was dropped.

Interesting thing: Dan O'Bannon, who had the next few years “reserved” for Dune, ended up writing the Alien script and both Giger and Moebius did designs for it (Giger did the alien obviously and the alien spaceship while Moebius did the astronaut suits and some other bits).

Good movie based on a book?

Apocalypse Now, heavily based on The Heart of Darkness (with the difference that it was taken from Africa and moved into the middle of Vietnam war).

The thing about adaptations is this… you can't take something scene by scene and have it work. There will always be edits and changes, especially that Hollywood cinema operates using rather rigid structures to set up the movie.
Sin City had to be adapted in the “pulp fiction” fashion, with overlapping stories jumping all over place. 300 worked on screen because the original comic is nothing but an action movie that's “painted in widescreen”. And they made some changes in both anyway.
Basically, what you need is someone who understands the original work and can get the gist of it and recreate that on screen but without slavishly sticking to source material.

Another pretty good adaptation that popped into my head is “Slaughterhouse 5”. Saw both the movie and read the novel and both worked great for me.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
skoolmunkee at 5:30AM, April 13, 2009
(online)
Apparently the movie is going to center around the narrator and what he does to get those interviews. I'm guessing the interviews are going to turn out more like flashbacks.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
LIZARD_B1TE at 10:03AM, April 13, 2009
(online)
Dark Pascual
I would like to see Asimov's Foundation Trilogy made into a movie…I know that the “I, Robot” movie was a disaster, but just give the project to somebody else…An smart writer, good director and talented cast could make an epic and inteligent movie…

In defense of I, Robot: that was one of those cases where the movie was intended to be an original, until some executive noticed a similarity and slapped the name on it as a way to make a quick buck. The same thing happened with Starship Troopers. Although in that case, the director decided he didn't like the alleged “source material” and retooled his film to be a parody of it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Exzachly at 7:02PM, April 13, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
The reason why the movie is better than the book for me is that it brought dinosaurs to life, and when you're nine and love dinosaurs that pretty much makes it the ultimate movie. Ok so, it was a pretty bad example.

But anyways, back on topic: Here's one book I hope they never try to make into a movie:
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Sysli at 8:26AM, April 14, 2009
(online)
Uh. Books –> movies. I have opinions about this for once.

Let's see, the original question asked for books that had not yet been remediated* and we thought would turn out good/bad.
Well, I'll just stay around the fantasy/sci-fi genres as those are the ones I know best. We've seen a lot of things made out of some good books, and not all of it was completely ruined, but lately the science fiction has all been of the more horror-ish kind (Sunshine springs to mind, and by gods that was horrible, but I'm loosing my focus here and will just shut up now). I think that's a shame.

A book like the first well world novel Midnight at the Well of Souls could be reworked into an interesting movie I think. A lot of the finer details would probably be lost, but the world is so wild and varied that it could bear being translated into visuals. General info over here if anybody's interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well_World
The plot centers around the the question of who the main character is and still manages to have some interesting twists and turns as well as some action. Not the worst thing somebody could make a movie out of.

Philip K. Dick's Eye in the Sky would be more tricky I think, but maybe it could work. I don't really know, and I doubt it'll ever happen.

I also still would like to see a movie adaption of Abarat, especially after Clive Barker brought the rights back from Disney. I highly doubt Disney could do that book justice (as I am one of those odd people who loved the book). Admitted, it would have to be reworked quite a bit, there's so many little details in that story that aren't really needed and just add flavor, and those would most likely have to be cut. That's okay, it is a different media after all, and we shouldn't expect the same things from different media. Cliver Barkers creature-designs just begs to be shown in “3D” and his earlier books.to-movie adaptions like Nightbreed have been worth a watch. And the story, much as I love it, is simple enough not to give troubles in the “translation”.

Lastly: Good Omens. I'm still hoping that Terry Gilliam will somehow find the money needed to start it. I like the book and I think it could be turned into a charming movie. And if nothing else it would make the book more popular and I could be all “Yeah, well, I liked it BEFORE it was popular.” ;P

No mentioning of books that I think wouldn't turn into if not good then at least visually interesting movies, because I'm sure there's a lot of them out there, but I simply can't think of any right now.

*I love this word!
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
timethief at 6:24AM, April 15, 2009
(offline)
On the subject of which book I would like to see made into a movie, well, I would definitely love to see a Ringworld movie, although they would need something like $300000000 to do it right. And a properly done Elric movie would rock, too, it only needs the right people.
Bad choices? Well, the Ringworld novels I think don't translate too well (I know they have been made into plays, TV movies and direct-to-video animation, but there has never been a full-lenght theatrical release, so I think it counts). There are too many things you simply can't translate, like Death's speech, and the footnotes. And you can't simply hire a concept artist to come up with a new color.
And I would love to see a properly done Starship Troopers movie. Made by someone who actually likes the book.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved