MAFIA... and other forum games

Brain Teaser game
PhatScurl at 11:08AM, May 6, 2006
(offline)
everybody loves a good brain teaser/ riddle. Basically here, some one will post a riddle/brain teaser. The next person must guess and then post their own riddle/ brain teaser.
ok HERE WE GOOOOOOOO!

How many animals did Moses put on the ark?

-edit-
new rule:
If the person who answered the question gets it wrong, just keep playing, when the person who originally placed the question returns, they can politely correct them in a post THAT DOESN'T INTERRUPT THE GAME
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
AQua_ng at 11:55AM, May 6, 2006
(offline)
Trick question! It was Noah!

Name four days beginning with the letter ‘T’.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
Inkmonkey at 2:44PM, May 6, 2006
(offline)
“Around the World in 80 Days”

Ahem - “I am in rock, but not in stone. I am in marrow, but not in bone. I am in bolster but not in bed. I'm not living and I'm not dead; what am I?”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Ian Jay at 5:32PM, May 6, 2006
(offline)
The letter R. Duh.

~IJ

NEXT BRAINTEASER: There is an empty length of pipe that extends into an asphalt blacktop about four inches. A hollow rubber ball about one inch in diameter is at the bottom of the pipe, and the pipe's diameter is only slightly larger than the ball itself. Ernest Rutherford, Enrico Fermi, and Niels Bohr are all crouched around the pipe, wondering how to get this ball out. Rutherford has a length of twine, Fermi has a staple gun, and Bohr has an hourglass he stole from a game of Pictionary.

How can the three scientists extract the ball from the pipe?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Ozoneocean at 6:23PM, May 6, 2006
(online)
How is “R” not dead?

If I were your 3 brilliant men, I'd remove a staple from the staple gun, tie the twine around it, use my fingers to stab the staple into the ball and then use the little plastic hourglass to push it the rest of the way in. I'd then pull out the ball, with the twine.

stupid easy Teaser:
Emma and Etta love puppies, but they hate dogs. They don’t like cats either, but they quite like kittens, they like bottoms, but they can't stand tops, they love cellos, but despise violins. They’re not in favour of rocking, but rolling is much appreciated…
What’s with these two strange sisters?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
Inkmonkey at 7:13PM, May 6, 2006
(offline)
They don't have any legs, and they're afraid of full grown cats and dogs because they're larger than they are.

“What runs but cannot flee? What is watched but never seen? What when long brings boredom, but when short brings fear?”
Ian Jay at 9:20PM, May 6, 2006
(offline)
Time. Obviously.

ozoneocean
How is “R” not dead?

If I were your 3 brilliant men, I'd remove a staple from the staple gun, tie the twine around it, use my fingers to stab the staple into the ball and then use the little plastic hourglass to push it the rest of the way in. I'd then pull out the ball, with the twine.

stupid easy Teaser:
Emma and Etta love puppies, but they hate dogs. They don’t like cats either, but they quite like kittens, they like bottoms, but they can't stand tops, they love cellos, but despise violins. They’re not in favour of rocking, but rolling is much appreciated…
What’s with these two strange sisters?

Firstly, the letter “R” isn't in the word “dead”. Nor is it in “living”. Therefore, it's neither living nore dead.

Secondly, the answer to your riddle. The two sisters only appreciate words with double letters in them. (There's a variation of this called “Fanny Dooley” that they used to show on ZOOM all the time.)

And the answer to my puzzle? Well, Oz, I appreciate your wit and ingenuity, but it's much simpler if the three scientists just pee into the pipe. The urine from their combined bladders would fill the pipe, forcing the ball to float to the top, where it could easily be grabbed. Occam's Razor, you know.

NEXT BRAINTEASER: A man lies dead on a Philadelphia sidewalk. Next to him are a shell and a plate. How and why did the man die?

~IJ
Inkmonkey at 9:58PM, May 6, 2006
(offline)
I don't think it counts if your “brain teaser” relies on something mundane like that to work out. In that case, it's less a test of wits than simply a “question”, or more accurately, a “prank”. If we were allowed to assume things like that, I could answer your new quesition with “He got shot in a driveby while eating oysters.”
Ian Jay at 12:44PM, May 7, 2006
(offline)
“Question”, okay. “Prank”? Not so sure how that applies to it.

Also, I can see what you're saying about how open-ended it is. No thirty-second mysteries allowed in this thread, then.

~IJ

PS: As to the answer: You're getting warm!
Blitz at 12:50PM, May 7, 2006
(offline)
He choked on take-out oysters.

As for the rules, to avoid a rush of teasers and a backup of incorrect answers, how about whoever guesses one posts the next one?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
Ozoneocean at 1:47PM, May 7, 2006
(online)
I agree with Blitz.
…Anyway, if you want to Occam that ball question, you're better off saying that only one guy pissed in the pipe, that's simpler.
But then again, if they're ordinary, cultured, sensible fellows, they'd never even think of doing something so ick, let alone performing some kind of group penile exposure routine and then handling a urine soaked ball. :?
:lol:

The man died of a heart attack because he was old and unhealthy. The plate and shell were already there because it's a messy neighbourhood.
PhatScurl at 3:36PM, May 7, 2006
(offline)
…ok this whole things has gotten a little of topic…so let's try this again

couple new rules though…i'll make sure to put them on top.
when someone puts the wrong answer, the game doesn't stop, just keep going. When the person who posted the question, posts again, politely place the correct answer in your reply. Simple.
anyway…one more time.

“You are in a race (every body is on the same lap) you pass the person in second place, what place are you in now?”
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Ozoneocean at 3:51PM, May 7, 2006
(online)
second. ^_^

I have no teaser…
Inkmonkey at 4:01PM, May 7, 2006
(offline)
Well, since Oz can't think of one, I'll post one from my childhood. I first heard a variation of this on Rocky and Bullwinkle;

“You're stuck in a steel room that (miraculously) has oxygen and light, for whatever reason. The only objects in the room are a baseball and a baseball bat. How do you escape?”
Ian Jay at 7:38AM, May 8, 2006
(offline)
Ozoneocean
But then again, if they're ordinary, cultured, sensible fellows, they'd never even think of doing something so ick, let alone performing some kind of group penile exposure routine and then handling a urine soaked ball.

You don't know that. They could need that little ball really, really badly. And even if they didn't, they probably wouldn't hesitate to pee in the pipe anyways; contrary to possible belief, physicists are some wild and cuh-ray-zee guys. (Plus it's great target practice!)

Inkmonkey
Well, since Oz can't think of one, I'll post one from my childhood. I first heard a variation of this on Rocky and Bullwinkle;

“You're stuck in a steel room that (miraculously) has oxygen and light, for whatever reason. The only objects in the room are a baseball and a baseball bat. How do you escape?”

Well, you just toss the ball up in the air, swing the bat, and miss. That's a strike. Do that two more times, you've got three strikes, and you're out. Ah-haaaaa.

As for the answer to the “plate and shell” thing: The guy was in Philadelphia because he was pulling a heist on the National Mint. The plate next to him is an engraving plate for a hundred-dollar bill– an item he was planning to use in a counterfeiting operation (since it's so much easier to print your own money than to try and carry a huge wad of it out of the Mint unnoticed). The shell, of course, is from a shotgun fired at close range. They have some pretty hard-ass security down at the Mint.

Sorry if that was a bit obscure.

~IJ

NEXT BRAINTEASER: My mom goes to this hair salon not far from our house, and sometimes me and my sister are dragged along, just because we happen to be in the car at the time. The head hairdresser there is kind of quirky by nature. The other day, she said to my mom that she would rather give a haircut to two people from anywhere else in the world than give a haircut to a single person in town. Why?
AQua_ng at 9:37AM, May 8, 2006
(offline)
Every person in town are bald monks. :?

What do the terms:

“Nurse, I spy gypsies - run!”
“Was it a car or a cat I saw?”
“Do geese see God?”

have in common?

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
SpANG at 10:59AM, May 8, 2006
(online)
they seem to be Palindromes (reads the same backwards and forwards).

• A kitten can go through the Green Glass Door. A cat cannot.

A puppy can go through the Green Glass Door. A dog cannot.

A stool can go through the Green Glass Door. A chair cannot.
    What's the deal with the Green Glass Door?

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
Blitz at 3:15PM, May 8, 2006
(offline)
SpANG!
they seem to be Palindromes (reads the same backwards and forwards).

• A kitten can go through the Green Glass Door. A cat cannot.

A puppy can go through the Green Glass Door. A dog cannot.

A stool can go through the Green Glass Door. A chair cannot.
    What's the deal with the Green Glass Door?

• Same thing that's with the Weird Sisters up there - it'll only let things through that have double letters in their names.

Next Teaser: Two neighbouring countries, Alpha and Beta, are warring against one another. A river serves as the border, on which there is only one bridge to get across. On this bridge, there is a guard tower positioned halfway across. The guards there have been instructed to send a man out for one minute every six minutes to check if anyone is crossing the bridge or river. If someone is crossing over from Alpha to Beta, they are to be shot on sight. If someone is crossing over from Beta to Alpha, they are to be turned back, or shot if they refuse to comply. They are to detonate any vehicles, and ignore any trying to swim, as the river's waters are cold enough to kill anyone within eight minutes.

A woman that was on vacation in Alpha when the war began wants to return home to her children in Beta. She has determined it takes ten minutes minimum to cross the bridge on foot, and twenty minutes to swim across the river.

How can she get to Beta alive?
Ozoneocean at 4:14PM, May 8, 2006
(online)
Walk out onto the bridge as soon as the gaurd has left, then jump into the river just before the 6 minutes are up and swim the rest of the way. She should reach the bank alive ^^
I think…

Ok, A stupid one from an American Sitcom from the 70's. I think it was “All in the Family”:

One day a boy and his father were driving on the road and they were in a car crash. The boy's father was killed immediatly. The boy was seriously hurt. He was rushed to the hospital. But when he got to the operating room, the doctor said, I can't operate on him, he's my son. How could this be?
Blitz at 4:44PM, May 8, 2006
(offline)
Not quite.
Ozoneocean at 4:56PM, May 8, 2006
(online)
I thought it said 8 minutes to cross the bridge on foot. I misread it.
Would it help if she started walking as soon as the gaurd turned his back to walk back in?
SpANG at 5:12PM, May 8, 2006
(online)
Blitz
Next Teaser: Two neighbouring countries, Alpha and Beta, are warring against one another. A river serves as the border, on which there is only one bridge to get across. On this bridge, there is a guard tower positioned halfway across. The guards there have been instructed to send a man out for one minute every six minutes to check if anyone is crossing the bridge or river. If someone is crossing over from Alpha to Beta, they are to be shot on sight. If someone is crossing over from Beta to Alpha, they are to be turned back, or shot if they refuse to comply. They are to detonate any vehicles, and ignore any trying to swim, as the river's waters are cold enough to kill anyone within eight minutes.

A woman that was on vacation in Alpha when the war began wants to return home to her children in Beta. She has determined it takes ten minutes minimum to cross the bridge on foot, and twenty minutes to swim across the river.

How can she get to Beta alive?
She Walks towards Beta, and just before the six minutes are up, she turns around and starts walking towards Alpha. The guard at Alpha will make her walk to beta.

ozoneocean
Walk out onto the bridge as soon as the gaurd has left, then jump into the river just before the 6 minutes are up and swim the rest of the way. She should reach the bank alive ^^
I think…

Ok, A stupid one from an American Sitcom from the 70's. I think it was “All in the Family”:

One day a boy and his father were driving on the road and they were in a car crash. The boy's father was killed immediatly. The boy was seriously hurt. He was rushed to the hospital. But when he got to the operating room, the doctor said, I can't operate on him, he's my son. How could this be?

I do believe that WOMEN can be doctors too. She was his mother. :wink:

Okay, one from the old Batman series (slightly modified):
3 men at a table, 4 cigarettes on the table. No matches or igniting devices of any kind. They all would like to have a cigarette, but they cannot leave thier seats. How?

(oh, and I can't believe I posted the same riddle as ozone. Sorry!)

Ozoneocean at 5:24PM, May 8, 2006
(online)
SpANG!
(oh, and I can't believe I posted the same riddle as ozone. Sorry!)
No worries!

Ummm… they call over a friend with a lighter and offer him the other cigarette? ^^
SpANG at 7:15PM, May 8, 2006
(online)
No phones or communication devices nearby.

(it's actually a very bad pun)

Inkmonkey at 7:52PM, May 8, 2006
(offline)
Throw away one cigarette, and they just got “one cigarette lighter”

Okay, going back to cheesy wordplays and my previous “stuck in a room with no way out” thing…

You're stuck in a room, no way out, etc., etc.. The walls are solid steel. All you have is a chainsaw and a table; how do you get out?

(note: You may have heard this one in the 3rd grade)
SpANG at 8:48PM, May 8, 2006
(online)
through the door?

How much dirt is in a hole 12 inches wide by 3 feet deep?

Ozoneocean at 7:19AM, May 9, 2006
(online)
SpANG!
How much dirt is in a hole 12 inches wide by 3 feet deep?
…I'm out of my depth there… :P

Aw, if there were four cigarettes on the table but only 3 guys sitting, I assumed another guy would have been in the room with them. :lol:

You know, funnily enough about that doctor question, I once told that to a very intellectual friend of mine and he worried over it for about 3 hours, suggesting everything from body transference, to an illegitimate birth, and adoption. I eventually had to tell him the solution.
The irony was that his own mother was actually a doctor!
SpANG at 7:47AM, May 9, 2006
(online)
Inkmonkey
You're stuck in a room, no way out, etc., etc.. The walls are solid steel. All you have is a chainsaw and a table; how do you get out?

(note: You may have heard this one in the 3rd grade)

How about this:
Cut the table in half. Of course, two halves makes a “hole”. All you need to do then is jump through the hole. :wink:

ozoneocean
…I'm out of my depth there… :P
would it help If I changed it to METRIC measurements? :P

The irony was that his own mother was actually a doctor!
Ha! :lol:

Ozoneocean at 8:28AM, May 9, 2006
(online)
Naw… but apart from lacking a third dimension, it's a hole so I suppose there's no dirt in it at all. :-D
SpANG at 9:58AM, May 9, 2006
(online)
ozoneocean
Naw… but apart from lacking a third dimension, it's a hole so I suppose there's no dirt in it at all. :-D

Correct. But it's assumed that this hole was round, so the diameter was 12 inches. :wink:

okay, explain how you can make 12 guys into 13 guys:

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon