Media Megaforum

bruno
theprettiestpony at 7:05AM, July 10, 2009
(offline)
so, i wanted to get everyone's take on this film. i was pretty annoyed with cohen after “borat,” the movie that made a million teenagers use phrases like “iz nice” until they (the phrases, unluckily) were more than dead, but when the preview for this one came out, it looked pretty funny.

i read the new yorker's article on it, which proclaimed it to be lacking in hilarity and even more lacking in poignancy. it seems like cohen's humor has some kind of social point at times, as if he's trying to expose america's racist, close-minded, homophobic underbelly (and not to say that one doesn't exist, it very much does) but it seems he comes up short a lot of times. this quote from the new yorker was pretty convincing of that:

"Might actually be in the business of revealing our cauterized senses, and the wound where our finer judgments are meant to be? A nice idea, but I’m afraid that ‘Brüno’ feels hopelessly complicit in the prejudices that it presumes to deride. You can’t honestly defend your principled lampooning of homophobia when nine out of every ten images that you project onscreen comply with the most threadbare cartoons of gay behavior. A schoolboy who watches a pirated DVD of this film will look at the prancing Austrian and find more, not fewer, reasons to beat up the kid on the playground who doesn’t like girls."

opinions?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
ozoneocean at 7:37AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
Personally I think Cohen's characters are always over the top and a bit irritating. I never like fictional cartoon characters that cross-over too far into reality: Dame Edna Everidge, Denis Pennis, Norman Gunstan (only Aussies will know that one). Sorry, I don't know any American examples.

But people miss the point with Cohen's stuff too; he's not playing some clever disguised character to draw people out. Don't think that, that's an childish view, it's obviously not about that.
What he's ALWAYS doing in every character is playing a silly cartoon. Always. It's 100% deliberate. The purpose is NOT to disguise in order to get the audience to show their true colours, the purpose is to embody the cartoon, to BE that stupid stereotype you fear or think you know, and then see how you react when you're face to face with that.
It's very different.
-He's not an imposter, but an outrageous clown. Such “clowns” have a long and venerable history in culture, performing just exactly this role. And they're almost always irritating to most people.

This is why Borat was nothing at ALL in any way like an actual real Eastern European. If you really, really know people from anywhere in Eastern Europe you know that. He was only ever a silly generalised cartoon from everywhere all over Eastern Europe. Those that were ever taken in were beyond naive.
Exactly the same situation with Ali-G. There you have a silly parody of London ethnic youth culture.

The criticisms that have been levelled at him are just plain stupid. Logical thought has been suspended. To prove this just stop for a moment and think about how you'd go about making a movie where someone really does play a realistic gay man and then gets into situations that enlighten the audience by showing how people react with him. It would look nothing like what Cohen would ever even bother doing. And it would be extremely easy and simple to do, but that's not what was done here.
What people are criticising this for is for not being a movie that only exists in their own heads.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Hawk at 9:06AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
The main reason I didn't like Borat is because of some things both of you said. I wanted Borat to be as like the prettiestpony described… a character who appeared racist and flawed, but actually drew out the flaws in our own society that we fail to see. Instead, it was just like Ozoneocean said… a clown performance that creates more disdain for an Eastern European culture that doesn't actually exist. In reality, a chance for us to be racist instead.

Wasted potential, in my opinion. And maybe ozone's right and it's my fault for having expectations. But what I saw in Borat did not invoke any deeper thought or have a lasting effect because of it.

Bruno doesn't fascinate me at all. He looks like he's less funny than Borat by a large degree and just more of the same old act.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Sea_Cow at 9:20AM, July 10, 2009
(offline)
So what's next? A cross-dressing Chinese dominatrix?
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
lefarce at 11:02AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
Someone
pretentious wishful thinking that these movies are supposed to be (or should be) high brow

Quit spergin' out over comedy

So what's next? A cross-dressing Chinese dominatrix?

If anyone, probably Ali G. It's his third persona. Look some videos up on youtube about him, in paticular, watch the “James Bond” pitch he made.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
NickGuy at 11:42AM, July 10, 2009
(online)
wow, expecting some serious meaning or statement from a guy who says “boyakasha!”?

i just go in this expecting to see absurd situations and to laugh at them. the end.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
Skullbie at 1:05PM, July 10, 2009
(online)
I lol'd during the previews for this, Ali g is my least favorite act of his plus i doubt it'll be a movie because people are becoming acquainted with his acts- it'll end up like jackass where everyone on the streets was ruining their acts trying to get on mtv.

Considering his background and education i can see why people would see his movie's as making a statement about the bigotry of normal people rather than just a parade of penis jokes and racist comments. I think he's hilarious and his statements to real legal threats make me lol even more.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Chernobog at 1:18PM, July 10, 2009
(offline)
Eh, I just never found the guy the least bit funny. Regardless of who he's pretending to be, it's all pretty formulaic.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
lefarce at 2:35PM, July 10, 2009
(online)
Chernobog
Eh, I just never found the guy the least bit funny. Regardless of who he's pretending to be, it's all pretty formulaic.

So in legal termz wat is Barely Legal? Coz I's seen a video wheres there was two gurls and they was late in turnin in their homework or whatevas. So the teacher sayz, yo, I's gonna bone ya

Someone
Wasted potential, in my opinion. And maybe ozone's right and it's my fault for having expectations. But what I saw in Borat did not invoke any deeper thought or have a lasting effect because of it.

Yo you is tryin to get lasting effekt n deeper thot from a movie where two blokes 69 each otha? You's crazy.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Sea_Cow at 11:20AM, July 13, 2009
(offline)
The part where Borat and the fat man were wrestling eachother naked was highly deep and symbolic. It made me cry with emotion.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
istaerlus at 2:44PM, July 17, 2009
(online)
If Borat (and other examples of Cohen's work) are meant to expose people's preconceptions (which I highly doubt) then it's gone over the heads of everyone in the audience.

If Cohen's characters are nothing more then cartoonish clowns meant to speak to people's already established senses of bigotry and prejudice for a quick laugh then I don't want anything to do with that sort of humor.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Twilight_of_the_gods at 11:04PM, Aug. 10, 2009
(online)
Look, I don't know if I'm right or not, but the way I see it, the movies are just supposed to be funny. I think a lot of it is for shock value, and it's not made to make you think. At all. In fact, while watching Bruno, my mind completely shut down and I curled into a fetal position and sucked my thumb until it was over (not really, but still).

Don't get me wrong, it was funny. And disturbing. But also funny. And despite the fact that I feel violated after watching it, I still say it was a decent movie taken only as a comedy, not as serious or as trying to send a message.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved