Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Bulk self publishers
lefarce at 8:00AM, April 4, 2009
(online)
Google has failed me on this one. I'm trying to find a site where I can get my comic printed in bulk. I'm trying to find one that will let me print out copies that are 6“x9” if at all possible. My latest comic I'm going to actually spend time on and market, and having a tangable copy would really help me out if I'm going to convince local stores to carry it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
skoolmunkee at 1:07PM, April 4, 2009
(online)
Do you mean a site that will print in bulk, then ship all the books to you in massive boxes to distribute yourself? Lots of places will do that, it's just expensive because they want print runs of at least 500 usually (which is why comics like Scary Go Round need to do massive preorders before they can go to print). Hong Kong is the cheapest place for that, there are websites around although I can't think of any offhand. You don't want to do that unless you've already sold those 500 books.

If you just want gallery copies to show to prospective stockists you may have to do print on demand, which means going with their preset availabilities with prices and sizes. But then you still have the problem of getting affordable copies to put on their shelves.

It sounds like you are in the difficult middle ground, where you need copies to put into stores, but can't afford a big print run. I'm not sure there's anyone who caters to that- you might find a printer who will do 100 copies for a good price, but that isn't a very profitable number for a printer and you won't get a good cost ratio, especially with the shipping fees.

It might be worth looking at local printers, especially if your comic will be in black and white. Not a place like Kinko's though. Ronson may be able to help you if you PQ him- he doesn't post but he checks in, and he's done lots of self publishing and marketing to comic shops.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
lefarce at 1:16PM, April 4, 2009
(online)
You're right, looking into a local publisher might be the best option. I would do print on demand, but then the profit is close to nothing on my end, and whoever sells it would get too little for it to be worth it. 500 copies is too much, abut around 100 would be a good amount to give to a handful of stores, I think I could push that many copies.

Guess I'll have to crack open the phone book and see if there are any local publishers. Thanks for th help.

JoeL_CQB at 3:09PM, April 4, 2009
(online)
i was planning to do via
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
lefarce at 5:42PM, April 4, 2009
(online)
God damn, Kablam wants to charge me about 8.50 for the right size and page count. Ends up being around 175 bucks to just make 20 issues to distribute between two retailers.

I may have to cut my losses on this, I wouldnt be making much of a profit on this as it is… :/

Aurora Borealis at 6:45PM, April 4, 2009
(online)
I'll be going the kablam/indyplanet route myself.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
JoeL_CQB at 8:18PM, April 4, 2009
(online)
lefarce
God damn, Kablam wants to charge me about 8.50 for the right size and page count. Ends up being around 175 bucks to just make 20 issues to distribute between two retailers.

I may have to cut my losses on this, I wouldnt be making much of a profit on this as it is… :/

8.50 for one issue? how many pages is it?

when you say issue, i think 20 pages.
lefarce at 8:41PM, April 4, 2009
(online)
JoeL_CQB
lefarce

I should probably say “volume”. 250-300 pages, six installments, roughly. So 8.50 a pop is probably more than reasonable. Just that I dont have 173.00 to start. I'll probably have to on-demand one and see if I can get buyers first, then use that money to lower the total cost. I dunno, this is giving me a headache. I have a product I know will sell, I just have to market it. And for once I want to try to jump the gap between being online and doing something in real life. I want to make a comic for print, not a comic for the web.

JoeL_CQB at 10:27PM, April 4, 2009
(online)
lefarce
JoeL_CQB
lefarce

I should probably say “volume”. 250-300 pages, six installments, roughly. So 8.50 a pop is probably more than reasonable. Just that I dont have 173.00 to start. I'll probably have to on-demand one and see if I can get buyers first, then use that money to lower the total cost. I dunno, this is giving me a headache. I have a product I know will sell, I just have to market it. And for once I want to try to jump the gap between being online and doing something in real life. I want to make a comic for print, not a comic for the web.

that's not that bad if you were to sell it through yourself.

i was thinking something like $12.99 retail.

and if you want to sell it to stores, i'd say the msrp be $14.99 because you have to sell it to stores at a discounted price, like around 60%-70% of the retail price. which 60% of 14.99 only gives you a $.40 profit per book and %70 gives you $2.

mind boggling!
i actually don't know how much a comic would normally sell. i bought next wave a while ago that was 160 pages and it was $14.99 color. and then a deadpool one that had the same number pages for $26.00. both published by marvel. and that was like ???

and then wanted several years ago, which has 192 pages, and that was only $19.99

?????????????????????????

so yea, probably on-demand it first, maybe a pre-order run before that.
you can be really entreprenueristic, and have the first POD batch be like the first print run editions.

and then if you've sold about 250 or more books via POD at 12.99, then you should have near over $1k, and then do a print run through some print service.
which would be much cheaper to print than POD and you would have money at that time, hopefully if you didn't spend it.

don't forget you have to go through some crazy isbn registration and fee stuff before you sell it to stores. more hassle!

it's like $250 for a set of 10 isbn numbers and then another fee to register the book. which i don't know how that works.

lefarce at 10:43PM, April 4, 2009
(online)
Well I still need to find a decent POD service. Lulu will sell it for about 25.00, but I see VERY little of that money back. They take a pretty hefty amount, even for a POD. Are there any services that turn a decent profit for this sort of thing?

Also I think around 20.00 is a fair price for this book. If a non-color 160 page book costs around 15.00, then double that for an extra five bucks isnt too bad, and would help me net a larger amount of profit to get the ball rolling. Honestly my goal isnt to make money for myself off of this. I just want a very large and very diverse group of people to enjoy mthis comic. Frankly I find building a fanbase to be far more rewarding than being a douche and selling out left and right for a big bag with a dollar sign on it.

And hell the way I see it, if I have to spend money to get people hooked, then I'll do it. It's still good to be smart about it though, so I really do appreciate all the advice and help from everyone in this thread. It's really helping me out. :D

Aurora Borealis at 7:00AM, April 5, 2009
(online)
Ka-blam's digest/manga format is 5x7.5 which is proportional to 6x9 (although you might have to extend the bleed areas a little since they're shrinking together with the page). A lot depends on the amount of detail/lettering size, though. If you use bleeds in your artwork, that also requires more editing (I screwed up my page template and when I was resizing everything for that format, I ended up having to retouch the edges of all bleeds and reletter everything).
If you don't use bleeds and stick to the safe area, going with comic book size would be easy (just slightly wider/taller margins).

As far as I know comixpress offers 6x9, but they've had enough bad press from people so I can't say I'm recommending them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
lefarce at 10:44AM, April 5, 2009
(online)
They charge around the same as Kablam, but Kablam seems more trustworthy in terms of quality. I think I would rather just pay the few bucks more with them.

skoolmunkee at 11:11AM, April 5, 2009
(online)
I just stumbled across this a few minutes ago. I don't know anything about them, but they say they'll do full color and runs of 25-1000 books, and they're US-based.

http://360digitalbooks.com/pages/about.html
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved