By George, Give Up!: A Critic's Plea
lastcall at 5:03AM, Aug. 16, 2008
(offline)

A critic's plea for George Lucas to “Stop making movies, already!”

…And I whole-heartedly agree. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
korosu at 2:01PM, Aug. 16, 2008
(online)
Yep, I agree as well. It would be one thing if the movie was even visually appealing, but the sorry animation style makes it look like a video game! Now it's quite evident how much Lucas has whored himself out; he'll do anything to make a buck. Meanwhile, all of our childhoods are crying out, “Uncle!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
SpANG at 3:03PM, Aug. 16, 2008
(online)
It's appalling the amount of disrespect George Lucas gets.

Lucas fundamentally changed film-making for the better. He pushed the boundaries of film and audio technologies. He revived the movie industry single-handedly. He's shared profits from movies with his entire staff. He fought the writers guild and the film industry to keep his vision intact. His founding company created the PIXAR computer that paved the way for a new form of animation. He headed up Industrial Light and Magic, a company that has pioneered CGI effects and is the backbone of hundreds of successful movies. His vision changed epic productions.

Lucas hasn't changed, you people have and you blame him for it. His stories were always basic and followed a formula. He always merchandised (“whored out” )the Star Wars franchise. The only difference is now you've become not only old enough to realize it, but more cynical of the basic heroic journey. Plus, the special effects HE USHERED IN are now expected, and not appreciated. Sorry to say, but these movies are not created for you anymore. Ask a kid under 12 what his favorite Star Wars movie is and you'll probably cringe.

But he's given us all way, way more than he'll ever get back. This world would be blander without him. As far as I'm concerned, he can do whatever the hell he wants.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
jalford at 4:20PM, Aug. 16, 2008
(online)
So, nobody here liked Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull? Because, Lucus did make that one.

The other thing nobody seems to realize is that this new Clone Wars flick is just a lead-in to the new animated series starting this fall, plus a new live-action series supposedly starting later next year. So, since IJ is pretty much a wrap, and this new Star Wars movie is just a pilot for a TV series, there probably won't be another Lucus flick for a long while, if ever.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
skoolmunkee at 5:01PM, Aug. 16, 2008
(online)
I just wish he would make more cool games like Grim Fandango. :[ I don't mind the Star Wars stuff, but I wish it wasn't his only output.

Although the Lego Star Wars game was pretty awesome.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
isukun at 6:11PM, Aug. 16, 2008
(online)
While I agree with SpANG that Lucas has done a lot to revolutionize the film industry, I also have to agree with the article. Lucas is good at conceptualizing a project. When it comes to the responsibilities of an executive producer, he can and often does get the job done. When he starts seizing too much control, though, the project goes to shit. Even as a kid I never thought Lucas was a good director. It's not hard to see how lackluster A New Hope was compared to The Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi, even to a kid. The acting was bad, the dialog was cheesy and even the special effects seemed to lack something. The action wasn't that exciting. A lot of that had to do with the budget, but some elements were also due to poor direction.

Lucas really is one of the more notable members of the new breed of directors and producers. People in Hollywood who feel they need to keep tight control over every aspect of a project, but at the same time fail to recognize and take into account their own weaknesses. Movies aren't made by a single person.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Custard Trout at 6:53PM, Aug. 16, 2008
(offline)
The thing is, that while Lucas did contribute a lot, he doesn't any more. Now that the things he introduced have become standard, his flaws are much, much more obvious. You're right SPaNG, when you say that the audience has changed and Lucas hasn't, which is the problem. And that is the main problem, but not in the way you're suggesting.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
korosu at 8:17PM, Aug. 16, 2008
(online)
I'm not trying to knock Lucas' legacy in any way, SpANG. I'm very well aware of how he changed the movie industry. My problem with him is that the Clone Wars movie seems to indicate that as far as Star Wars goes, he's more concerned with making money than a quality movie. But maybe you're right; maybe Star Wars has just turned into a children's franchise.

An jalford, yeah, I did like The Crystal Skull! (But for the record, Spielberg was the one who actually directed it, so…)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
JoeL_CQB at 8:19PM, Aug. 16, 2008
(online)
after reading the article, it sounds like he's having fun.

i mean I'd do the same if I was in his shoes.

like isn't that what blizzard is doing with the world of warcraft novels and comics?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
ozoneocean at 8:25PM, Aug. 16, 2008
(online)
I don't know about this “changed” and “not changed” stuff… Lucas was better originally. I look at it like this:
What's happened to him is like what happens to many musicians. In the beginning, when they first hit the big time, they still have to work closely with others collaboratively and make compromises in everything, their work is mediated by others and works within the limitations of what they know and can afford to do.

But later on they have a lot more power, the vision is ALL their own, unmediated, they have much less limitation on what they can do in terms of cost and time, so their work loses its tightness, becomes flabby and unfocussed, more introspective. That happens with some powerful writers as well: when they're big they can eschew editorial control and get any old shit published because of their reputation, they can even do things like get rid of proof readers or whatever lol!

The artistic output of many (not all), does change as they age, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. In a more collaborative field like film making it's more likely to get worse. But not always :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
SpANG at 9:21PM, Aug. 16, 2008
(online)
korosu
But maybe you're right; maybe Star Wars has just turned into a children's franchise.
That's the thing, though. It always was. The only thing that captivated the adult audience were the ground breaking visual and audio effects. That stuff isn't even appreciated or taken into account anymore. It's just… Expected.
jalford at 2:26AM, Aug. 17, 2008
(online)
Spielberg directed it, but it was produced and co-written by Lucas.
Ziffy88 at 1:22PM, Aug. 17, 2008
(offline)
I don't remember who said it, But George Lucas film's version of Stan Lee
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
VegaX at 1:26PM, Aug. 17, 2008
(offline)
The problem with Lucas these days is that he is surrounded by “yes” people. I don't think anyone questions his decisions and ideas anymore, except maybe for Spielberg. So when he comes up with a character like “Jar Jar” everyone around him just says YES and kiss his ass instead of telling Lucas that it is a terrible idea.

There is a BIG contrast in quality between the old and new Star Wars movies and it has mainly to do with actors and general direction. Lucas is a crappy director and should never have directed his own movies, he should have given that job to someone who can actually direct and motivate the actors, not just push them in front of a green screen and start filming.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
isukun at 3:18PM, Aug. 17, 2008
(online)
I think it really depends on which older film you're looking at. The original Star wars was a mess of cheesy dialog, bad acting, and poorly directed special effects, at least compared to everything that came after it. People have a tendency to look back with a sense of nostalgia, though, because the film did something spectacular for it's time, even though other people managed to pull it off better in Empire and Jedi. The problem with his newer movies is that he's gone back to the approach he used with Star Wars. After seeing the success of the series as a whole, he reclaimed it and proceeded to do to the prequels exactly what he did to episode 4. Lucas simply doesn't understand that what it was that made the original trilogy as popular as it was.
VegaX at 3:45PM, Aug. 17, 2008
(offline)
I was thinking of Empire and Jedi.
From what I've read the directors and actors had a lot of input and changed a lot along the way. Something that no one would dare nowadays. I believe Harrison Ford even mentioned in a DVD making of that Lucas can't direct actors that he is incapable of telling the actors what he wants to see. Something that is evident in the prequels that are as woody as can be.

Now, anything Lucas wants he gets. A good example is the character General Grievious from Revenge of the Sith that design wise is perfectly fine, but Lucas have him walking and coughing “funny” which just destroys the whole character.

Someone
Lucas simply doesn't understand that what it was that made the original trilogy as popular as it was.
Absolutely true.

subcultured at 5:54PM, Aug. 17, 2008
(online)
he was creative in the past, but he has really stagnated creatively. its the same stories recycled over and over. when is he gonna start groundbreaking again like thx 1138?
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
isukun at 10:40PM, Aug. 17, 2008
(online)
From what I've read the directors and actors had a lot of input and changed a lot along the way. Something that no one would dare nowadays.

I don't think that is necessarily true. You can't really use the prequel trilogy as evidence of that since Lucas chose to write and direct those movies personally. I also remember reading an interview where Harrison Ford and Steven Spielberg talked about how they had to reign in Lucas when making the new Indiana Jones film, so people DO question his decision and edit Lucas when he's not running the show.
VegaX at 1:00AM, Aug. 18, 2008
(offline)
isukun
I also remember reading an interview where Harrison Ford and Steven Spielberg talked about how they had to reign in Lucas when making the new Indiana Jones film, so people DO question his decision and edit Lucas when he's not running the show.
The scene in Indy4 where Shia Leboeuf swings around like like Tarzan with a bunch of CG apes would suggest otherwise. ;)

But yeah, the only ones who would dare to question Lucas these days would be Spielberg and Harrison. Although clearly not enough, seeing that Lucas have left a lot of dirty fingerprints on Indy4.

ozoneocean at 1:34AM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
VegaX
But yeah, the only ones who would dare to question Lucas these days would be Spielberg and Harrison. Although clearly not enough, seeing that Lucas have left a lot of dirty fingerprints on Indy4.
Come on, Speilburg and Ford are no geniuses. Who's to say the apes weren't all Mr Jurassic dinosaur?

Hawk at 9:18AM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
I watched some of the Star Wars Holiday Special on Youtube. It's proof that if George Lucas is broken, he didn't break recently.

I wonder if we'll ever see any more of Chewy's son Lumpy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
VegaX at 10:27AM, Aug. 18, 2008
(offline)
Hawk

Sadly, we probably wont. ;)

But in the “Clone Wars” movie we get to meet Jabba the hut's offspring, STINKY. A baby version of Jabba, that spends the movie making funny faces and farting.

Evil Emperor Nick at 1:06PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(offline)
VegaX
Hawk

Sadly, we probably wont. ;)

But in the “Clone Wars” movie we get to meet Jabba the hut's offspring, STINKY. A baby version of Jabba, that spends the movie making funny faces and farting.

Seriously? Please tell me you are joking! That can't be right! Seriously?!?!?!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
isukun at 1:27PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
Seriously? Please tell me you are joking! That can't be right! Seriously?!?!?!

His name is Rotta, although apparently some people call him Stinky while his own father calls him the even more atrocious “Punky Muffin”. I would attribute a lot of the crap from that movie more to the people at Cartoon Network than Lucas, though. The movie is supposed to appeal to kids, so a lot of it seems to be designed to target the same age group that's into Hanna Montana. Lucas only came up with the story concept on that one and it really doesn't have the same feel as the prequel movies.
SpANG at 3:57PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
Hawk
I watched some of the Star Wars Holiday Special on Youtube. It's proof that if George Lucas is broken, he didn't break recently.
I can pretty much guarantee that Lucas only wrote the foundation of the story. Horrible writers like Pat Proft and Bruce Vilanch should probably be credited for that mess as well. ;)
jalford at 5:14PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
Rotta wasn't anywhere near as skin-cringing as Jabba's extremely gay uncle(or possibly aunt!), Ziro. The guy was wearing a flapper girl hat for crissakes!
ozoneocean at 9:59PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
jalford
flapper girl hat
Cloche ;)

Custard Trout at 10:55PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(offline)
I know it's meant to be for kids, but maybe the problem is that it's losing it's appeal to older audiences as well? The original trilogy never had anything like Jar Jar or wise cracking battle droids or farting Jabba spawn.

At least, not that I remember.

What I'm getting at is that it used to be family series, but now it's getting closer to a ‘just for kids’ series.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
ozoneocean at 1:14AM, Aug. 19, 2008
(online)
noo… the original wasn't really “meant for kids”, it was meant to have a broad appeal and tell a good story in an entertaining way. Which it did, and it looked good doing it. :)
They did a very good job on those three movies.

The other three moves were done many, many years later… It would be amazingly optimistic to expect them to turn out as well. It would be idiotic to expect the style of the creators NOT to have changed in that time. The later moves were also meant to have a broad appeal, which is why they have complicated aspects like “trade wars” and one character's clever rise to power in their storylines.

Of course they weren't done as well: they were trying to imitate and ride on the earlier films and the success of the earlier films. They owe the majority of their box-office take to the reputation and interest based on those earlier movies. We KNOW this, they knew it too which is why they made them.

-But if these three newer films magically didn't have those earlier ones behind them… How do you think they'd have done at the box office, do you think they have even been made in the first place?
I think they would have. I think they'd have done ok, but more in line with middling fantasy or scifi film. I seriously doubt they'd have made that much money.

jalford at 1:24AM, Aug. 19, 2008
(online)
The only thing Clone Wars has for kids might be Ahsoka, since the only other young Jedi character they had to identify with in the prequal trilogy was supposed to turn out to be a complete asshole. More than likely, Anakin himself kills her later on, or she got wiped out during Order 66.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved