Debate and Discussion

C-SPAN rocks!
timelike01 at 7:44AM, March 31, 2008
(offline)
In my estimation, C-SPAN is the only news service on television. Because unlike other “news” services, C-SPAN covers a wide range of topics. In addition to coverage of the two major U.S. political parties, C-SPAN has also covers the Libertarian Party, the Green Party, press conferences relating to the recent space probe missions, interviews with authors from many political areas and much, much more.

Contrast that with most “news” services which only cover popular events. Since true news is supposed to be about informing people of events whether they're popular or not, and since most “news” services only cover popular events, then most news services are therefore entertainment. In fact, I would dare say that all the 24-hour “news” channels combined probably wouldn't give you as much information as C-SPAN does. That's because mainstream “news” repeats coverage of the same (popular) events contunously, while C-SPAN continuosly provides viewers with a variety of news topics.

Yup! Again I say that C-SPAN rocks! We need more C-SPAN!

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
SpANG at 8:50AM, March 31, 2008
(online)
C-SPAN and C-SPAN2 are great sources for witnessing and learning about the U.S.'s political process from the comfort of your own home. I'll give you that. And yes, you will see lots more “facts” than the opinion of the infotainment channels disguising themselves as serious news channels. I'll give you that too.

… But it's also usually about as exciting as watching paint dry.

This should also probably be in “Media Discussion”.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Hawk at 9:26AM, March 31, 2008
(online)
SpANG
This should also probably be in “Media Discussion”.

True, unless somebody wants this to be a discussion on the bias of non-C-SPAN news sources. Any takers? Or should I just move this now?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
timelike01 at 7:19AM, April 2, 2008
(offline)
Of course the problem that most “news” services have that C-SPAN doesn't have is that they're for-profit organizations. As such, for-profit “news” services tend to focus only on news they believe will make them profit. Thus, most “news” is not really news but is in fact entertainment. But since C-SPAN isn't depended on profit or ratings, they can cover real news even if it means it won't give them a large audience.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
bobhhh at 12:40PM, April 20, 2008
(offline)
In the last election for mayor of SF, one candidate promised to wear a web cam if he was elected for ultimate transparency.

I like that idea, but C-Span is the next best thing.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
jmt at 7:09PM, May 4, 2008
(online)
I happen to like C-Span. It provides comedy in half hour blocks, and reason in the next. Where else can you see Gore insulting your intelligence and in the next program listen to someone brilliant like David Horowitz?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved