Media Megaforum

Can anyone explain Trigun (an old anime) to me.
Spideytheking at 9:29AM, Feb. 25, 2010
(offline)
Okay I was just watching trigun, and I have some promblems. Okay you see,I was like 9 years old when I used to watch it, and the Vash I remember was a kick ass gun slinger. Now I watch it years some years later, and he is a pacifist, who doens't kill. What the eff! Idk maybe I need to watch more episodes. (I'm on episode 7 right now) but can someone tune me in on why he is such a pacifist, and WHY DOES HE HAVE A LARGE BOUNTY ON HIS HEAD. Thank you
Invader zim vs Grr = FUUN MUHAHAHAHAHAH Im tired of hearing about the damn shamwow or am I o.0 who will know Grr will thats who Evil is ocra and oprah or am I just them in a alternate universe only a god knows unless Im him too
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
ozoneocean at 2:03PM, Feb. 25, 2010
(online)
Those mysteries are part of the point of the series. If you just watch the whole thing it all slowly unfolds as you go. As those mysteries unfold you get some more though… but then they're solved later as well :)
All it takes is patience and watching the whole series. It would ruin it for you to needlessly to explain when part of the fun is to watch them show you in the upcoming episodes. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
skoolmunkee at 2:40PM, Feb. 25, 2010
(online)
This thread reminded me that I used to be a huge fan of that series but last watched it when VHS was still popular. Might have to see if the DVDs are cheap…

The preacher guy was a lot cooler than Vash anyway. T_T
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
isukun at 6:30PM, Feb. 25, 2010
(online)
Good luck finding it. You might be able to get it through ebay or one of the more sketchy providers on amazon, but don't forget the series was originally put out by Geneon and as far as I can see, nobody else picked it up for a reprint.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
ozoneocean at 12:16AM, Feb. 26, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
The preacher guy was a lot cooler than Vash anyway. T_T
Hyeah. He was ripped straight from Antonio Banderas's character in the Desperado/El Maricahi series. -with his guitar cases full of amazing weapons.
You can see the massive influence those films had on the Tri-gun series. ^_^

——————————–
I watched the entire thing in a day back when I was still working out of my art studio. One of my fellow studio members brought in her PC, hooked it all up, we brought in couches and beanbags and had a massive marathon. -Another friend and fellow artist, her and myself. We broke for a lunch of Italian bread, olives and tasty cheeses that we got at an Italian Deli, and then back to the show. It was just the right situation set-up to watch the series.

It must have taken her quite a bit of downloading to get it all back then…

skoolmunkee at 1:25AM, Feb. 26, 2010
(online)
Well, those films didn't invent the idea of guns in guitar cases. :] I don't remember el Mariachi much but I do remember thinking that whole theme was pretty familiar. I won't try to argue Trigun's influences though. When I first saw it i just took it at face value.

isukun
Good luck finding it. You might be able to get it through ebay or one of the more sketchy providers on amazon, but don't forget the series was originally put out by Geneon and as far as I can see, nobody else picked it up for a reprint.
I'm not in the US, there's a different licenser, MVM. Amazon.co.uk has some boxsets for £40, but I can't tell if they're subtitled or dubbed or not. It just says “language: Japanese” but I don't know why they'd release a Region 2 Japanese-only version. Guess I could return it if it's entirely non-English though.

Edit: just checked the same dvds on MVM's website and it does have English and English subtitles. So I guess in this case it pays off to be in the UK.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
ozoneocean at 2:50AM, Feb. 26, 2010
(online)
Just one second while I sratch my neckbeard…
Ahhh, that's better.
skoolmunkee
Well, those films didn't invent the idea of guns in guitar cases. :] I don't remember el Mariachi much but I do remember thinking that whole theme was pretty familiar.
Gins in guitar cases, lots and lots of guns in them, a dark hero type man in a dark, suit, battling gangs with perfect ballistic precision … etc.
Woolfwood definitely came from there. But that's no bad thing! No, no. It's a good thing! Good themes, concepts and images SHOULD be used again and elaborated on, especially if it's done so well, like in Trigun. ^_^

It was such a pity when Woolfwood died :(

skoolmunkee at 8:12AM, Feb. 26, 2010
(online)
I admit to crying a little. :[ I felt so bad for Millie.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
isukun at 12:43PM, Feb. 26, 2010
(online)
Figures I'd say that and then immediately get an email from Funiation about how they're getting to release a box set for the series.

but I don't know why they'd release a Region 2 Japanese-only version.

Well, Japan does use Region 2 for their DVDs. Plus that sounds kind of pricey for a DVD set these days. Do they usually cost that much over there?
skoolmunkee at 4:15PM, Feb. 26, 2010
(online)
isukun
Well, Japan does use Region 2 for their DVDs. Plus that sounds kind of pricey for a DVD set these days. Do they usually cost that much over there?
Huh, I thought Region 2 was Europe, but you're right, Japan uses it too. Well, I may have to send it back then. :]

It is 8 DVDs. It's in the upper range of normal box set prices with the harder-to-find stuff (and HBO series). Most TV series are a lot cheaper.

I just checked the entry again on Amazon and it seems my buying drove up the price £10. Never seen that happen before. Oh, I hope it's got English :ohdear:
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
isukun at 7:51PM, Feb. 26, 2010
(online)
I guess I can see why you're in the same region as Japan. That set is less than half the price in the US. It's not quite as bad as Japanese prices, but after shipping, I doubt they'd be saving any money by importing from Europe.
skoolmunkee at 1:43AM, Feb. 27, 2010
(online)
Crisis resolved, it has subs and dubs (not a fan of dubs but I do like the English Vash)

Haha, I forgot how metal the opening song is. Well, I know what I'm doing this weekend.

isukun
That set is less than half the price in the US
I can't tell if you're saying the US set is more or less expensive.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
ozoneocean at 7:33AM, Feb. 27, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
Haha, I forgot how metal the opening song is.
That opening rocked!

Somewhat inspired by this thread I went online DVD shopping and got the whole of Farscape and a special edition tinned set of LEXX… I already have all of LEXX, but this is in a TIN! …a tin. O_O
I worship his shadow, long may he reign. ^_^

Yeah, anyway, congrats on the Trigun purchase!

isukun at 11:29AM, Feb. 27, 2010
(online)
I can't tell if you're saying the US set is more or less expensive.

The American set costs much less and it's just as rare. I think the HBO series all came down in price, too, now that Blu-Ray is available. That pretty much just leaves Doctor Who still at the ludicrously expensive level, go figure.
ozoneocean at 8:03PM, Feb. 27, 2010
(online)
isukun
The American set costs much less and it's just as rare. I think the HBO series all came down in price, too, now that Blu-Ray is available. That pretty much just leaves Doctor Who still at the ludicrously expensive level, go figure.
It's funny with the costs of things in different countries isn't it?
Last night when I was looking for the LEXX Tinned set edition I looked for it on sites in Australia, the UK, and the US.
It was released last year in that form and now it's apparently out of production. The only sets that are out there that I could find are the UK version and the Australian version. In the US all they had was the Aussie version. It was sold out at all the Australian DVD shops so I suspect mainly US stores and traders opportunistically bought them all up… Especially since the sold out ones in the Aussie stores would have gone for prices like $113 Australian dollars ($100 USD) and the same Aussie sets currently available from US stores are going for $177 US dollars! Huge mark up there. ($196.50 AUD)
Lucky I found some on Aussie E-bay for only $130 AUD ($115.75 USD).

It helps to shop around internationally for this stuff… Though the region coding can be a thorn in your side. I've been very lucky with that though since one of my DVD players seems to be region free, I have enough DVD players on my computers (5) that it doesn't matter if one is set to US region 1, and the PAL/NTSC thing hasn't been an issue for years.

skoolmunkee at 3:53AM, Feb. 28, 2010
(online)
Now that this thread is completely off topic, I'll just carry on :]

My old region-unlocked DVD player broke down sometime last year and I bought a new Sony one at costco. In the store I did a quick phone internet search for 'region unlock ' and got hits, so I bought it knowing it could be unlocked. but when I got the instructions it turns out it requires some universal remote with a magic rabbit button or something. T___T I quite like the DVD player so I don't want to return it, but I still haven't found a satisfying solution to watching my US DVDs in the living room. I've had to dig out my PS2 and hook it up, which is a pain, and of course doesn't do HD. Otherwise I can only watch US dvds on my old laptop or my small portable DVD player.

I forgot how funny Trigun was. There's a lot of animu stuff and they cut a lot of corners, but it's still a good series. :]
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
ozoneocean at 6:48AM, Feb. 28, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
I forgot how funny Trigun was. There's a lot of animu stuff and they cut a lot of corners, but it's still a good series. :]
There was that little cat that popped up in every scene… And Vash being extremely cute all the time ^^

mlai at 11:50PM, March 8, 2010
(online)
There is one odd moment that I'll always remember from that series.

It's the episode where after Vash killed somebody, had a nervous breakdown or something, decided to wear his hair down, and went to live with some girl's family…

So the scene… he walked out of the bedroom, his hair still down (and therefore not the usual doofus spikey look)… his round specs hid his eyes, and a ray of sunlight glinted off his silver gun (not intentionally by the artists). And he had a small resigned smile.

That was the only instance in the entire series where I completely took him seriously. He had the air of a real life killer.

And the final showdown of the series was 100% badass.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Inkmonkey at 12:07PM, March 9, 2010
(offline)
Spideytheking
Vash I remember was a kick ass gun slinger. Now I watch it years some years later, and he is a pacifist, who doens't kill. What the eff!

If anything, I think the fact that he's a skilled gunslinger while still being a pacifist makes him even more badass.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
ImaginaryGirl at 11:29AM, April 19, 2010
(offline)
Man I love Trigun. Yeah, you're just going to have to watch the series to see how it unfolds. You learn a lot more as you go along.

Inkmonkey
Spideytheking
Vash I remember was a kick ass gun slinger. Now I watch it years some years later, and he is a pacifist, who doens't kill. What the eff!

If anything, I think the fact that he's a skilled gunslinger while still being a pacifist makes him even more badass.
Yep! In his case, being a pacifist and a kick ass gun slinger are not mutually exclusive.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:57PM
korosu at 7:29PM, April 19, 2010
(online)
Trigun is considered old now? Man.
I was lucky enough to get a bootleg DVD set on eBay for about $30. But, yeah, it's kinda ridiculous how expensive anime DVDs are. I've been trying to get Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop for years, but no dice.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
same at 2:17AM, April 21, 2010
(online)
I loved triguns anime but it has to be said. The Manga was so much better and included so much more story.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:20PM
isukun at 9:16AM, April 21, 2010
(online)
Cowboy Bebop is still pretty easy to find over here and the more recent box set release makes it pretty cheap. Eva is a little harder to track down since ADV had the rights and they went under (which hopefully also means the doomed from the start live action adaptation is also out of the question). You can still find box sets in some places. I think Amazon has a few sellers offering it for around $50, but if you want a good copy for cheap, you may have to wait until Funimation releases a box set (which is pretty likely) or just go with the recent movie releases for the time being.
Evil Emperor Nick at 11:01AM, April 21, 2010
(offline)
isukun
Cowboy Bebop is still pretty easy to find over here and the more recent box set release makes it pretty cheap. Eva is a little harder to track down since ADV had the rights and they went under (which hopefully also means the doomed from the start live action adaptation is also out of the question). You can still find box sets in some places. I think Amazon has a few sellers offering it for around $50, but if you want a good copy for cheap, you may have to wait until Funimation releases a box set (which is pretty likely) or just go with the recent movie releases for the time being.

I heard they'll be releaseing Eva again once the new movies are all out.

Trigun is great series just watch it. The only thing I'll say is that tends to shift tones between episodes similar to Cowboy Bebop. Once the new manga finishes up I'm very hopeful they'll look into making a second series to follow the second manga even though from what friends have told me it goes a bit to long and wears out its welcome.

As for it is old or not I suppose that depends on if you count from when it was made to when it became popular in your country. Even though I'm a fan of some newer stuff like Naruto I have to say trigun was a cut above most of the current big names in anime and well worth picking up.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Eunice P at 8:48PM, April 24, 2010
(offline)
I've read Trigun manga but completely forgotten about the plot already after so many years. Never watched the anime but I can only remember the action in the manga is pretty good.

The bounty part if I can recall from the manga is due to his habit of causing property damages. Or maybe I could be wrong since I haven't actually read the complete series.
seventy2 at 5:07PM, April 25, 2010
(online)
Eunice P
I've read Trigun manga but completely forgotten about the plot already after so many years. Never watched the anime but I can only remember the action in the manga is pretty good.

The bounty part if I can recall from the manga is due to his habit of causing property damages. Or maybe I could be wrong since I haven't actually read the complete series.

I'm gonna go ahead and spoil this. The 60 billion double dollar bounty was for destroying the entire city of july and putting a dent in the moon.

I still haven't finished the manga. my wife bought me the “deep space future gun action” books. and then i bought the first Trigun maximum. (he starts to take on the 12 gunman) after that no one had 2 and 3, and i'm too lazy to order online. but it was good.

Also, five years ago, i bought the series for $199 i was stupid, but it was worth it.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
Product Placement at 5:17PM, April 25, 2010
(online)
This series has been on my “to do” pile for quite some time. After glancing through this discussion, I'm inclined to bump it to the top now.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
shirkersama at 6:32PM, April 25, 2010
(online)
This thread makes me want to rewatch Trigun. But if I do that I'll want to rewatch Cowboy Bebop. And if I do that I'll want to rewatch Samurai Champloo, and so and so forth until I notice a month has gone by and I havn't left my room.
Meh
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
Product Placement at 6:58PM, April 25, 2010
(online)
shirkersama
Watching a shit load of anime and crap until I notice a month has gone by and I havn't left my room.
Heh. I had that happen to me once.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
Eunice P at 2:59AM, April 26, 2010
(offline)
seventy2
I'm gonna go ahead and…

I still haven't finished the manga. my wife bought me the “deep space future gun action” books. and then i bought the first Trigun maximum. (he starts to take on the 12 gunman) after that no one had 2 and 3, and i'm too lazy to order online. but it was good.

Also, five years ago, i bought the series for $199 i was stupid, but it was worth it.

Ah, now I recall. Wow, $199 for the series? That's an insane price for an old anime.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved