Help, Support and Suggestions

Can I show the first page of the chapter as the default page?
Allyndn at 12:10PM, Sept. 29, 2010
(online)
I've noticed that, by default, the most recently uploaded page shows up as the default for a comic. Is there a way to set which page appears when someone accesses the comic? I would much rather have the default be the first page of the most recent chapter.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
skoolmunkee at 1:21PM, Sept. 29, 2010
(online)
You can, but you have to turn on the ‘Homepage’ feature, and then edit the html to make it display a static image. Most people don't like it when comics use a homepage though, because it means extra clicking to get to the newest page and to leave comments.

If it's important for people to start on a certain page, maybe you can just edit the html somewhere above the visible comic page to say something like “If you are a new reader, please start reading HERE (link to desired page)”?
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Allyndn at 2:12PM, Sept. 29, 2010
(online)
My comic, Found Art, updates monthly with 15-17 page updates, so it's kind of weird opening to the last page. Would make more sense to open to the cover page of the latest chapter, then click to the chapter using the Chapter List. I have enabled the home page. This gets me most of the way there.

Is there an easy way to switch the image in the homepage? While I'm not a total HTML newbie, I still don't like messing with coding unless I really have to… unless I'm getting paid at least. Don't really want to have to boot up Dreamweaver every time I want to swap an image, eh? And I'm guessing that would mean I would have to edit the homepage to display a different static image every time I uploaded a new issue?
skoolmunkee at 12:56AM, Sept. 30, 2010
(online)
Every time you want the homepage to display a different static image, yeah, you'll have to update it.

On the DD default template (the grey one, not the additional one you've chosen) all you have to do is find the “DD tag” that looks something like and replace it with your tag (and probably also make that a clickable image to link to the first new page). Very easy to do…. with the default.

But I see on that account that you're using one of the ‘custom’ templates, which makes this whole thing much more of a pain for you. The templates have been a big problem in recent years for the reason that they're very difficult to edit. The code for them isn't given to you in an editable format- you can either activate a template, or you can do custom HTML, but you can't edit the template HTML. If you activate a template but then click in the ‘edit html’ box, you'll only be editing the default grey DD template.

The code for the “Black and White” templates (which it looks like you're using) is available here on the forums, so you can actually paste THAT code into the ‘custom html’ area and get the same result, with the ability to easily edit them- but I think the code only works for the comic pages and NOT the homepage, which has different formatting and some different elements.

The basic summary for your situation would be:
1. Use the black and white template but be unable to change what the homepage displays without some time and HTML effort

2. Use the default grey DD template and be able to very easily change what the homepage displays

3. Some sort of compromise…? You could turn off the homepage, paste in the editable code for the black and white template, change COMIC_NAME to COMIC_NAME_IMAGE (or whatever Oz says in his first post there) and then upload a ‘comic title image’ in the control panel, something to the effect of “the comic has updated, go to chapter 7 to begin reading the new pages”…. though that's not perfect either, because that image will display at the top of every page, but it's easy to implement and update for you.

So now you see another reason why people don't like the Homepages, they're hard to work with. :] We've gotten a number of suggestions over the years for ways to improve the usability of this feature but I'm not sure if/when the site's owners would be interested in improving it.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Allyndn at 9:15AM, Sept. 30, 2010
(online)
Thanks for taking the time to explain to me. I like the idea of a homepage because I like the ability for a reader to instantly access the first page of each chapter. The only thing I don't like is that the last page of the most recent issue is displayed first. And it sounds like, while not too difficult to get it to do what I want to do, it's probably not worth the extra bit of effort on my part. Maybe someday I'll paste in some custom code, but for now, I'll stick with what's given.

Again, thanks for taking the time to interact with me on this.
skoolmunkee at 2:37PM, Sept. 30, 2010
(online)
No problem, it's what we're here for. Sorry there wasn't an easy solution for you. :/
  IT'S OLD BATMAN

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved