Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Can you control your dreams while asleep?
Lonnehart at 12:01PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
I've got some control of my dreams, but only if I'm aware that I'm dreaming. However, that control is so far limited to pulling myself out of sleep mode and becoming awake. But doing so takes a lot of mental effort and I end up with a bad headache for an hour or two after waking up… x_x
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Net at 12:12PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
If, like you said, I'm *AWARE* that I'm dreaming, I am able to then direct it somewhat toward where I want it to go. If I'm totally unaware, of course, it runs along merrily without any help from me… but I'd say it's a good 40-50% of the time I'm able to realize I'm dreaming and then guide it where I'd like it to go.

Usually this ends up with me, my wife and whipped cream, dunno why…

>Net

Updating monthly since January, 2005!
**now full time on the Duck!**
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
Product Placement at 1:40PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
What you're talking about is called lucid dreaming. I used to have a pretty good control over this although lately I've been slipping. This is something you can train. Someone with a powerful control over his dreams can just fall asleep and wake up in his dreamworld, fully aware that he's dreaming.

There are several things you need to realize. Step one, the most simple one is to be aware of the fact that this is possible. Someone who may never have experienced lucid dreaming one day has a conversation with someone about dreams and learns about lucid dreams. Few months later he might just experience his first waking dream.

Second step is to realize that you are in fact always in control of your dreams, you just normally don't realize it. Take nightmares for example. While dreaming you may find yourself standing in your living room. You happen to be afraid of dark and decide to flip the light switch in your dark hallway. The thought enters your mind that the light may not work and presto! The bulb blows. Now you become worried that the rest of the lights may fail. Guess what happens? Your apartment becomes pitch black. Now you start imagining scary things in the dark. Oh darn, speak of the devil. You run into your bedroom and hide in your closet. You start to worry that the creature in the dark will find you there. Without any effort it walks right up to the closet and gets you. This is normally the time when you wake up in cold sweat. Isn't the fact that you just spent the night scaring yourself funny? No, I suppose not. But that's the thing. The thought that's on your mind tends to manifest itself in your dream. When people start contemplating scary stuff, they tend to fall down the spiraling slope that is nightmares. Understanding this can eliminate bad dreams for good.

Third step is to start criticizing your dreams. As soon as you wake up, start thinking about it. Now that your logic center is active again, think about all the stuff you can remember that didn't make any sense. Did you meet dead relatives? Did you move between building or even countries just by walking through a door? Did aliens attack? Did the turn of events not make any sense to you (you were at school but all of a sudden you were camping}? Was your car a Ferrari? Did you fight of a zombie horde? Thinking about this stuff is critical if you want to master your dreams. Keeping a dream journal will help allot. This will train your brain to become aware of these weird moments which can trigger a response from your logic center. When that happens, you essentially wake up in your dream.

So far I've mastered the first 2 steps. I occasionally work on step three but I've been lazy at it lately and thus I've regressed in that progress. For example I've never kept a dream journal which is suppose to help allot.

Anyways. Some people are naturally good at this, others have to put out allot of work to make any progress in lucid dreaming. Have fun with it if you decide to give it a go.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Ochitsukanai at 1:49PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
I've done this a few times! It usually happens when I'm having a dream about high school or when I'm having one of those “I signed up for a class but somehow never attended and there's no way to drop or pass it now!” dreams.

Even though anything is possible, though, all I think is “I'm dreaming!? THEN I CAN FLY!” And then I take off and phase through the roof of whatever building I'm in. Using this ability for anything other than flying does not occur to me. o_o

Always, I wanna be with mew, and make believe with mew
and live in harmony harmony oh nyan
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
Niccea at 1:59PM, May 7, 2009
(offline)
Sometimes. It really depends. If I'm only half asleep, it is easier.

It usually happens when something happens in my dream. I then think. “That is not right.” Then my dream rewinds and happens all over again until I'm satisfied.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
Chernobog at 2:04PM, May 7, 2009
(offline)
Sort of, but not with the ability to focus. If I try to concentrate or examine something, it immediately becomes elusive or vague. But that might be a psychological thing.

I did have one dream when my late grandmother came to me and in that one, I had an almost unreal degree of self awareness and personal control. I could focus without any effort. If anything, it was a profound experience, more akin to a spiritual visitation than some mere dream. My mother had something very similar occur to her just before I was born.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Product Placement at 2:16PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
I've had my fair share of lucid dreams. I've also been nightmare free for over 10 years. It's quite lovely. Following my suggestions could set you onto that path.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
crocty at 2:19PM, May 7, 2009
(offline)
Hm, I don't recall any instances of it. *Fails~*

Although I remember a few times when my dreams went bad, I thought to myself “Wait a minute, this is a dream, bugger this!” and forced my eyes open.
That was weird because in the dream I already had my eyes open , so….o,o
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
Product Placement at 2:31PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
crocty
Hm, I don't recall any instances of it. *Fails~*

Although I remember a few times when my dreams went bad, I thought to myself “Wait a minute, this is a dream, bugger this!” and forced my eyes open.
That was weird because in the dream I already had my eyes open , so….o,o

*Dangling the instructions manual in front of your face*
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
machinehead at 3:49PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
I had no idea that was possible. If something is really on my mind I usually dream about that. But no, I don't think I can control it or I would have some cooler dreams. I never have nightmares. Usually if my dreams starts out as a nightmare my mind usually turns it into something cool.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
kyupol at 4:56PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
When you realize you're dreaming it becomes a lucid dream.

When it becomes a lucid dream, you can control it.

I remember one dream I had in where I was beaten up by 6-8 guys. I wondered when my face hit the pavement, why is there no blood.

I realized its a dream and when I did, I took out all of them like this is some kind of kung fu movie or something.

Before learning how to control your dreams, first you gotta learn how to REMEMBER the dreams you had.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
mlai at 6:32PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
Before learning how to control your dreams, first you gotta learn how to REMEMBER the dreams you had.
How do you do that? Is it to not get up immediately upon waking, and just take 10 minutes to remember everything?

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
The Gravekeeper at 6:39PM, May 7, 2009
(offline)
I usually have some degree of control over my dreams. There's a white dragon that often appears in them that I've come to accept as a sort of guardian. Whenever he's around, I have total control of the dream. I've had some…odd…dreams that reflected events that actually happened later (I'd say they're visions, but I never know when or where they're going to happen). I can usually control what I'm doing in those dreams, but I have no control whatsoever over what happens around me. Doesn't help that those dreams tend to end with some very realistic zombie hordes attacking me (even though everything else in the dream comes true.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 6:44PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
No, but a hour before I actually wake up though I am in a simi sleep trance type thing, were I am aware of the fact that I am sleeping and the limited surrounds in the real world. I can feel my body((the sheets on my skin and what not)). This is all going on while I can't get up and am having a simi dream. But its weird cause I can watch the dream or I can pay attention to my body. I have some control of the simi dream but I can't leave the this trance.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:17PM
mishi_hime at 7:16PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
What you're talking about is called lucid dreaming. I used to have a pretty good control over this although lately I've been slipping. This is something you can train. Someone with a powerful control over his dreams can just fall asleep and wake up in his dreamworld, fully aware that he's dreaming.

Oh yeah, I used to be able to control dreams too. Whenever I do dream its like I have 10 different ones that lead on and on, well somewhere in the middle I'd realize i was dreaming. And then I could tell myself to wake up if it was a nightmare.
One time I actually could control flight. That was amazing and really difficult to do. I really don't get good enough sleep to dream like that anymore, there are a lot of noises that constantly wake me where I live.
Signature.txt
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
Bocaj at 7:27PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
I have one lucid dream I remember.

I was fighting Superman on a ski lift.
Then I won.
Then the dream got lucid.
I ended up fleeing from the CIA, because I killed Superman.
Eventually I was shooting at the CIA in a field of flowers under the ski lift.
Fin.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
kyupol at 8:40PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
mlai
How do you do that? Is it to not get up immediately upon waking, and just take 10 minutes to remember everything?

You're right.

However I suggest that you meditate before going to sleep.

There's different ways from listening to self-hypnosis stuff to thinking about the white light wrapping around your body then having a connection to the center of the earth (aka “grounding”). Then there's also this method that involves praying to God and calling the angels and the saints or the spirit guide/s or the “higher self” or something like that. It all depends on what is most comfortable to your personal belief system.

In my case though, since I've been exposed to anime like DBZ, Naruto, etc, it is more effective to visualize the energy / chi flowing out of my body and collecting into my arms or any part of my body. In my case, its easier to collect the energy into the area between the eyes or the palms or the bottom of the feet.

The point is: there's lots of different methods out there.

You'd know you're doing it right if you suddenly feel electrical or air or tingling sensations on your body or the “cobwebs on my face” while feeling good and energized and alert at the same time.

By doing that, you become more aware of your astral body (aka soul) and it is the part of you that is active in the sleep state.

Sorry if I can't really articulate it properly but all I can say is that your astral body has a different memory structure than your physical brain. That's the reason why people remember past lives or suddenly become a different person when under hypnosis.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Air Raid Robertson at 8:45PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
I'm not a lucid dreamer in the least.

Even when I'm aware that I'm in a dream. And yes, even when I know what's going to happen. I am always locked into my fate and there's nothing I can do to change anything.

I often just “let myself go”. This makes things a lot less painful than fighting the tide.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Jonko at 8:49PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
I can do it when I nap. Can't at night though. I sleep better when I have control over my dreams
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
mishi_hime at 7:35AM, May 8, 2009
(online)
This is the method that always worked for me. As soon as you wake up, think about the whole dream in it's entirety. Go through the whole scenario several times, what happened who you talked to etc. Once you personally reflect upon what just happened you have a better chance of remembering it later.
Signature.txt
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
Ozoneocean at 9:39AM, May 8, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
I've had my fair share of lucid dreams. I've also been nightmare free for over 10 years. It's quite lovely. Following my suggestions could set you onto that path.
Nightmares can't rule me any longer, but dreams can still go bad… They're just sneakier about it.
-instead of the typical crap like something coming to get you, or not being able to move or speak when something bad is happening, they're more subtle like a vague bad feeling about something that just makes you really unhappy, or a sense of urgency because there's something you haven't finished and need to in a hurry, or a sense of failure because you've already lost at something or failed at it.
You can still change those, but since they're so sneaky you don't always realise how.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 5:13PM, May 8, 2009
(offline)
I mostly have control over my dreams. I can even wake myself up at will!
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Freegurt at 5:29PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
All. The. Freaking. Time.

I think that's all my dreams are, really. Weird crap going on, then me just doing whatever I feel like. Which probably is the reason why I feel so depressed about waking up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Walrus at 5:35PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
It depends. If you're in deep sleep, there's no way of controlling it. If you're sleeping lightly, you are in total control, you can even wake yourself up if you want to. But you can also fade in and out between the two. But sometimes, I have really retarded dreams. Like this one where all I had to do was think about something and I would have it. I kept wishing for some hot naked chick but all I got was gum and other worthless shit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
Lonnehart at 5:54PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
Walrus
It depends. If you're in deep sleep, there's no way of controlling it. If you're sleeping lightly, you are in total control, you can even wake yourself up if you want to. But you can also fade in and out between the two. But sometimes, I have really retarded dreams. Like this one where all I had to do was think about something and I would have it. I kept wishing for some hot naked chick but all I got was gum and other worthless shit.

Careful what you wish for… you might end up getting exactly what you wanted… a turkey dinner. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
HippieVan at 6:04PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
I can sometimes control my dreams, but only to a certain point. Usually I can't just change the whole dream around, but can change certain things like if there is a monster, I might make myself be able to fly so I can get away. But I couldn't get rid of the monster and turn it into an ice cream sundae or anything like that.

What senses can you guys use in your dreams? I'm positive I can hear and even touch things sometimes.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Aurora Borealis at 6:32PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
Hmm, remembering dreams? that's… rather difficult. Ask me about the plot of the movie I just saw and I'll tell you perhaps half of it and usually out of order (“oh, but before that bit this other bit happened and then I think something happened but that was much later”). Same with my dreams… I have usually five minutes after awakening to make any notes and it cannot be a rapid awakening… alarm clock, someone knocking at the doors, a startling noise of any kind… poof! the dream is gone! I have no idea what I dreamt about.
Other than that I do remember stuff, but never the entirety of a dream. Although some of them leave such strong impressions that I can recall an image even after 20 years.

Another problem. If I go to bed with the plan of writing down my dream… I don't remember dreaming at all!

I know I can extend my dreams… that is, quite often I'm on the edge of awakening and I'm aware that I'm dreaming and I can delay the moment of awakening so that I can see the rest of the dream.

Had couple of cases (now that I think about it) where I controlled my dream to some degree.

And I've been mostly nightmare free. Don't like them. I do like odd dreams though, even if they border with the unsettling slightly “nearly-nightmarish” things. I've had dreams where I was a girl, dreams where I observed the action as a “spectator ghost” as if watching an action movie, dreams where I take shortcuts through weird landscapes right in the middle of the city (making me climb up and down stuff), experience bizarre architecture (hexagonal shaped rooms for example or houses that totally change from room to room with several architectonical styles, ceiling heights etc.) fought and easily beat up guys that normally would smear me on the floor with their punches, swam on a raft through a stormy canyon river thing right in the middle of the city (interestingly standnig where a cinema used to be), had dreams that looked like fps games and so on… you know, the usual good wacky stuff :D

But, nightmares… I used to dream of not being able to move fast enough when I had to chase someone or run away from something, my limbs feeling like they're from stone, not being able to evenwalk but having to sort of crawl on all fours as the imminent doom approaches… OR loosing teeth, spitting them out one by one until one side is nearly gone… OR situations where I stand at the top of the stairs only to seethat the stairs in front of me are gone, layaing collapsed on the floor below and I can't get out of the building anymore… there was also this one where I slept next to a coffin and people looked into my room worried saying “he slept next to a coffin, he's going to die next” and then I found myself in an open coffin, being transported to my burial site… brrr, enough nightmares :D

I'd love to control my dreams, but even more I'd love to harness the power of my dreams for my scripts. There are some crazy/brilliant ideas that are gone the moment I wake up :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Aurora Borealis at 6:36PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
Hippie Van
What senses can you guys use in your dreams? I'm positive I can hear and even touch things sometimes.
Depends… I had dreams with sound and dreams with touch and I had one dream so realistic that I'm not really sure whether it was a dream. I don't remember anymore what it was (hooray for my crappy memory) but for YEARS I was confused about a certian thing that I possibly dreamed up… or possibly it happened for real? I still don't know but at this point it became a moot point anyway since I forgot what the whole thing was about, heh.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
CatCatDragoo at 8:02PM, May 8, 2009
(offline)
Hmh… My dreams are weird… OxO

When I was a kid I used to dream about all these different people and events that are starting to happen to me now. Just about every day I have this horrible feeling of ‘de javu’, like arguments my teachers have with other students, conversations, demeanor, faces, fights that happen in the school (fists and argues). Lots of weird stuff.

Course, it could all just be coincidence… and I hope it is, cause if it isn't, lots of bad stuff is gonna start happenin' fast.

Ah, but that's off topic (I think).

As for dream control, I can only do so when it completly fantasy. Such as me being a dragon trapped in a crystal ball and having to change form in the brushes when my prison is shattered, ect. It's difficult to will myself to fly, though, since I'm unreasonably afraid of heights. xD;

Um, I also share that waking ability. Whenever I have a nightmare I think over and over ‘Open open open. Come on Arly, OPEN YOUR EYES ALREADY!!’. This usually works, except for when it doesn't… >n>; I end up ‘waking-up’ in a seemily normal perdicament only to see it all go to shambles. Which is why I made up this little test.
In just about all my nightmares my body becomes incredibly heavy and it's very hard to move at all, so I always check to see if I can raise my arms and sit up. :3

P.S. I appologize for the lenght of this post. D: ~ </3
My pride and joooy~! x3

FFA motto:
Learning to Do
Doing to Learn
Earning to Live
Living to Serve
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Italianocane at 8:50AM, May 9, 2009
(offline)
Lonnehart
I've got some control of my dreams, but only if I'm aware that I'm dreaming. However, that control is so far limited to pulling myself out of sleep mode and becoming awake. But doing so takes a lot of mental effort and I end up with a bad headache for an hour or two after waking up… x_x

You can actually learn to control your dreams (Lucid Dreaming)through pratice. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_LaBerge and his website http://www.lucidity.com/. He also has a few books such as http://www.amazon.com/Lucid-Dreaming-Stephen-LaBerge/dp/159179675X and http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-World-Dreaming-Stephen-Laberge/dp/034537410X both of which are very good. It's hard at first, but if you pratice you can do it easily at will.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon