Debate and Discussion

Capital Punishment
maritalbliss at 3:53PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(online)
Is it ever justifiable to execute criminals?

Close to 90 countries have the death penalty, in the United States each state can formulate its own policy regardin' what justifies such a sentence, according to the Constitution. 38 of the 50 states allow the death penalty as a sentence, but this is a goodie for debate. So, whatta' ‘ya think? Me? I’ll leave you with a scene from, A Time to Kill.

Jake: Now the other day, you said you were opposed to the death penalty, why?

Roark: You're not?

Jake: No actually I'm very much in favor of it, I'd like to go back to hangings on the courthouse lawn if we could.

Roark: You're kidding right?

Jake: No.

Roark: I see well have you told your client Carl Lee Hailey this?

Jake: Well Carl Lee Hailey does not deserve the death penalty, now those 2 boys that raped his daughter, did.

Roark: I see well how do you tell who gets it and who doesn't?

Jake: Well it's simple. You take the crime, and you take the criminal. Now say a, crack dealer, guns down an undercover cop, well you strap his ass in the chair and flick the switch.

Roark: I'm sorry I thought you were a liberal.

Jake: Well I am a liberal Roark, what I am not, is a card-carrying ACLU radical. I do not believe in forgiveness nor in rehabilitation. I believe in safety, I believe in justice.

Roark: I see well, lemme' ask you something. Have you ever seen a man executed?

Jake: Not that I recall.

Roark: Ok, well what you do is you go watch a man be executed, you watch him die, you watch him beg, you watch him, kick and spit till he pisses and shits the life out of him, then you know what? Then you come back here, and you sing this crap to me about-

Jake: Roark, spare me your Northern, liberal, we are the only enlighted ones in the Northern hemisphere bullshit.

There ‘ya go…both sides in a nutshell…in case you are wondering my stance…I’m from Texas, what do you think?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
Aurora Moon at 4:25PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(offline)
Hmmm. I always said that the punishment should fit the crime. So a murderer should get the death penalty when there's no reasonable doubt that he/she really did the crime.
as in there was tons of witnesses, Tons of evidence, etc.

However…. in the same situation a suspected murderer should not get the death penalty if there was only like one witness and not much evidence besides the so called “evidence” of the person being around at the moment that the alleged victims died. There is such a thing as an innocent person who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, after all.

There's something called the innocence project where they're always testing and searching for evidence that goes both ways long after even a person is convicted…. and at times they actually discover that a person that everyone was so sure was guilty of a crime did not actually do that crime.

It'd suck for somebody to have been killed off if they turned out to be innocent… so that's why I think that along with the death penalty, there should be like up to at least 4 to 10 years in prison before they're even executed. Gives them plenty of time to look for more evidence that proves an person innocent if they were really innocent in the first place.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
bobhhh at 7:47PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(offline)
maritalbliss
Is it ever justifiable to execute criminals?

Close to 90 countries have the death penalty, in the United States each state can formulate its own policy regardin' what justifies such a sentence, according to the Constitution. 38 of the 50 states allow the death penalty as a sentence, but this is a goodie for debate. So, whatta' ‘ya think? Me? I’ll leave you with a scene from, A Time to Kill.

Jake: Now the other day, you said you were opposed to the death penalty, why?

Roark: You're not?

Jake: No actually I'm very much in favor of it, I'd like to go back to hangings on the courthouse lawn if we could.

Roark: You're kidding right?

Jake: No.

Roark: I see well have you told your client Carl Lee Hailey this?

Jake: Well Carl Lee Hailey does not deserve the death penalty, now those 2 boys that raped his daughter, did.

Roark: I see well how do you tell who gets it and who doesn't?

Jake: Well it's simple. You take the crime, and you take the criminal. Now say a, crack dealer, guns down an undercover cop, well you strap his ass in the chair and flick the switch.

Roark: I'm sorry I thought you were a liberal.

Jake: Well I am a liberal Roark, what I am not, is a card-carrying ACLU radical. I do not believe in forgiveness nor in rehabilitation. I believe in safety, I believe in justice.

Roark: I see well, lemme' ask you something. Have you ever seen a man executed?

Jake: Not that I recall.

Roark: Ok, well what you do is you go watch a man be executed, you watch him die, you watch him beg, you watch him, kick and spit till he pisses and shits the life out of him, then you know what? Then you come back here, and you sing this crap to me about-

Jake: Roark, spare me your Northern, liberal, we are the only enlighted ones in the Northern hemisphere bullshit.

There ‘ya go…both sides in a nutshell…in case you are wondering my stance…I’m from Texas, what do you think?

I'll tell you how I feel. Why do we kill people? For murder mostly. Why? Because murder is abhorrent. It is bad, probably the worst thing you could do to a person., worthy of the ultimate punishment. I'm not sure I could say I haven't wanted to avenge someone with death. I'm human, I have passions. It's not all black and white. You might even argue that some folks just deserve to die, they're so undeniably heinous.

Here's my dilemma. If Murder is so bad, then why is it ok to do so in vengeance?Why is the act any less heinous? Think about it. If I had a choice between killing a deserving criminal and not, I think I would have a tough time doing it. Actually murdering someone, I just think if it were in such stark terms, most of us couldn't stomach it, and that's a good thing. It bodes well for the human race that we find it so hard to kill folks.

And when you support the death penalty, don't mistake it, you're support or lack of dissent is about as instrumental to the murder of prisoners as the electricity that pumps into them.

As much as I revile murderers, I refuse to become what I abhor. I will not be a party to murder, no matter what the circumstances.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
maritalbliss at 8:21PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(online)
bobhhh
And when you support the death penalty, don't mistake it, you're support or lack of dissent is about as instrumental to the murder of prisoners as the electricity that pumps into them.

I totally agree and if a convict was found incontrovertibly guilty of a capital offense…I'd volunteer to throw the switch if no one else would step up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
mlai at 10:11PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(online)
Having a deathrow inmate go thru the process of arriving at the electric chair is more expensive than putting him in a cell for life, and most of that money goes to lawyers.

Therefore I am in favor of abolishing the death penalty. Purely for monetary reasons.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
DAJB at 11:45PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(online)
We abolished the death penalty in the UK decades ago, but many (and some would argue most) people are in favour of bringing it back. To my mind, some crimes most definitely do merit it.

But, there is one big argument against it - miscarriages of justice. Even in recent years there have been examples of people wrongly convicted of murder in the UK, the US and elsewhere. Whether they occur by accident, for political expediency, by corrupt police needing to close a case or by incompetence on the part of the judiciary, we're never going to be rid of the possibilty of false convictions.

For me, that's the only argument in favour of not having the death penalty.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
bobhhh at 1:14AM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
DAJB
We abolished the death penalty in the UK decades ago, but many (and some would argue most) people are in favour of bringing it back. To my mind, some crimes most definitely do merit it.

But, there is one big argument against it - miscarriages of justice. Even in recent years there have been examples of people wrongly convicted of murder in the UK, the US and elsewhere. Whether they occur by accident, for political expediency, by corrupt police needing to close a case or by incompetence on the part of the judiciary, we're never going to be rid of the possibilty of false convictions.

Yeah that too!!! If we execute just one innocent person, then we are all technically murderers, and not even of a deserving person.

Its clear there are just too many reasons not to kill people.
marine at 3:59AM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
Theres a reason I love The Punisher. If you're not familiar with him, he's a marvel comics character who first appeared as a villain in Amazing Spider-man #129. The Punisher was soon developed into an anti-hero who saw things only one way: his way. The Punishers origin that I hold as being canon is this:

A hardened Vietnam conflict veteran returns home and on a family picnic with his wife and kid, sees both of them murdered before him. He's injured and unable to do anything to save them. Something inside him snaps. That filter that tells you not to go out and kill bad guys breaks. He takes no joy in what he does, he just feels he has to do it. He researches his targets and watches them for days, weeks even. He makes sure that in his warped sense of the world that they're clearly bad guys. Drug dealers, rapists, organized crime, serial murderers, human traffickers, anything bad in his point of view is punishable by death.

Now thats a bold thing to do. Just wake up one day and think “Well I'm a trained killer. I couldn't save my wife, but I can punish those that deserve it.”

Its the classic Charles Bronson kind of thing too. You take the law into your own hands, do what YOU feel is right.

The question I ask, who says you know whats right and wrong? Where is the line in the sand that says this is bad, but this is so bad it deserves the death penalty. The death penalty makes it sound lame. It should be called “fucking murdered and publicly humiliated.” That would teach assholes a lesson by example. A greater comedian than myself once said they should bring back cruxifiction for the super bowl half time special. They'd get the message loud and clear. Thats how the punisher works. Your a bad guy and you see that skull, you're done. End of story.

End of story.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Custard Trout at 9:03AM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
DAJB

Treason and blasphemy still carry the death sentence in the UK.

As for me, I am completely opposed to capital punishment. Even if the person has been proved definitely guilty, even if the criminal in question has slaughtered thousands, I would protest his/her execution.

Why? Because it's disgusting, you learn from the cradle that two wrongs don't make a right, but then the same people go around rationalising murder. It's abhorrent and wrong, no matter what.

There is always, always a chance of reprisal, a way to show a criminal the light.

And what, exactly, does it prove? Send them to jail, and the message is ‘don’t do that, or you will come here, and you will suffer'. The message the death sentence in theory carries is ‘don’t do this, or you will die' but it's actually closer to ‘we are hypocrites, and don’t deserve the power we have' or ‘this man could have been helped, we killed him anyway’ or even ‘it’s ok to kill, we do it, and people agree it's a good way to solve our problems'.

The amount of people who are for the death sentence here makes me sick to my fucking stomach.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
ozoneocean at 9:44AM, Oct. 15, 2007
(online)
Custard Trout
They may be still on the books, but that's because no one takes them seriously enough to actually try someone for treason or blasphemy and go for the death penalty. lol!

Besides, they're basically the same thing in Britain historically: Treason was when you did something that went against the interests of the crown or government. Blasphemy was mostly used against Catholics for the same reason. Both were just used for political expediency.

Yep, with the death penalty there's an inerrant contradiction. People have already outlined why. And then there's all the innocents that've died. Giving the state the legal ability to kill you is too much. It makes me wonder why conservative people support the death penalty so much and yet they don't like the state governing their lives so much…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
bobhhh at 10:12AM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Custard Trout
They may be still on the books, but that's because no one takes them seriously enough to actually try someone for treason or blasphemy and go for the death penalty. lol!

Besides, they're basically the same thing in Britain historically: Treason was when you did something that went against the interests of the crown or government. Blasphemy was mostly used against Catholics for the same reason. Both were just used for political expediency.

Yep, with the death penalty there's an inerrant contradiction. People have already outlined why. And then there's all the innocents that've died. Giving the state the legal ability to kill you is too much. It makes me wonder why conservative people support the death penalty so much and yet they don't like the state governing their lives so much…

I'll go you one better.

A lot of the conservative folks who are against any possibility of a legal abortion, even if the life of the mother is in danger are often the same folks who have no problem assuming the resposibility of god and dispatching criminals to “old Sparky”.

So much for the “return to a culture of life” crap you hear about all the time.
DAJB at 10:20AM, Oct. 15, 2007
(online)
Custard Trout
There is always, always a chance of reprisal, a way to show a criminal the light.
That's an opinion, not a fact. In practice, the number of released re-offenders would suggest otherwise.

Like so many things, it comes down to the nature vs nurture debate. If you believe people only ever become murderers/rapists/torturers/paedophiles etc because of conditioning, sure, you can also believe there is always hope of rehabilitation. If, on the other hand, you believe some people will always be evil no matter what their circumstances, then you have to believe that - for some - there is no hope of rehabilitation.

I lean towards the latter. You obviously believe the former.
mlai at 11:01AM, Oct. 15, 2007
(online)
I want to be clearer.

I wholeheartedly believe in capital punishment on principle. If, once a man is sentenced to death, he is by law either put to death within 24 hours, or released onto the street with ne'er a chance for double jeopardy, I will vote yes for this.

If, once a man is sentenced to death, he gets to appeal for 10-20 years, wasting untold tax dollars for the benefit of lawyers and clogging up the court, then I oppose the death penalty.

Edit: Being a death row inmate for 10-20 years often changes a man. Often for the better. It is unfair to spend that much money and time on a condemned man, cause him to become a different, better person, and then tell him, “OK now you're next in line, we'll kill you next week.”

StaceyMontgomery at 11:35AM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
Of course, being on death row for 20 years was a good thing for a lot of people who have been proven innocent recently due to new technology.

Im against the death penalty for lots of reasons. The fact is, i don't trust the government that much.

I've done some research on this over the years, and my impression is that the Death Penalty actually warps the results of trials. That is, the desire people have to see someone die seems to actually increase the chances of a wrongful conviction.

The death penalty surely appeals to people who think they are never wrong.

History has taught me to think otherwise.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
Aurora Moon at 12:19PM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
StaceyMontgomery
Of course, being on death row for 20 years was a good thing for a lot of people who have been proven innocent recently due to new technology.

Agreed. It gives the innocent person's “people” enough time to prove the person's innocence. I don't care if people see that kind of thing as “clogging up” the Justice system…..

it's a whole lot better than just killing them right away after they've been convicted of a crime. If you're all in favor of a Capital Punishment where you do that, then you have to realize that there's a higher chance that you're killing a innocent person in error.

At least with the 20 years thing, it gives us time to make sure that the person is really gulity and not just the first “suspect” the cops picked up just to get a case closed once for all.

Basically, I guess you could say that I'm only for a type of capital Punishment IF there are NO DOUBTS at all and there being tons of evidence that the person in question is an very dangerous person who is likely to re-offend over and over again. And of course if the person in question has actually commited a very serious crime, such as being a serial killer who killed over two people.

But of course I'm not so sure about the capital punishment if there's a chance that the person could see the errors of his/her ways. Or if it was a person who wasn't that dangerous to start with, and only commited murder in the name of self-defense, such as protecting his/her family from a burglar for instance. In some states you can actually get jailed for a while just for keeping your family safe from break-ins, which I find insane.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
mapaghimagsik at 12:22PM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
I do think there are certain criminals and crimes that can only be fixed by killing the criminal. When I say fixed, I mean that that person would commit the crime, has no remorse, and would do it again.

The data on whether death is a deterrent is mixed. Strangely enough, the people crazy enough to actually do horrible things believe they won't get caught. Or, the circumstances are such they are not thinking about “gosh, I could get caught and put to death.” But I'm not thinking about them. I'm thinking about those so damaged that they cannot be rehabilitated.

But, as the US has shown, the state doesn't wield that power well, and our legal system is far from perfectly just.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Custard Trout at 1:01PM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
DAJB
Custard Trout
That's an opinion, not a fact. In practice, the number of released re-offenders would suggest otherwise.

Like so many things, it comes down to the nature vs nurture debate. If you believe people only ever become murderers/rapists/torturers/paedophiles etc because of conditioning, sure, you can also believe there is always hope of rehabilitation. If, on the other hand, you believe some people will always be evil no matter what their circumstances, then you have to believe that - for some - there is no hope of rehabilitation.

I lean towards the latter. You obviously believe the former.

Bullshit. There is always a way. Jail might not be the best way, but there is always a way. Some people commit crimes out of necessity, if they had a bit of help they'd have no reason to break the law. some people have mental issues, again, these can be cured.

No one is inherently evil, not even sociopaths are inherently evil.

If this has already been said, I apologise. I had to go out while typing it and I have this weird thing about not posting things when I've typed them.
DAJB at 1:08PM, Oct. 15, 2007
(online)
Custard Trout
Bullshit. There is always a way. Jail might not be the best way, but there is always a way. Some people commit crimes out of necessity, if they had a bit of help they'd have no reason to break the law. some people have mental issues, again, these can be cured.

No one is inherently evil, not even sociopaths are inherently evil.
Interesting view. As I said before, that's where our opinions differ, so - rather than simply repeat my former point and start a loop - I'll leave this debate now.
trevoramueller at 1:25PM, Oct. 15, 2007
(online)
Whenever I had a debate class, I usually had a speech about the death penalty (eventually changing it out for censorship, in later years). I was usually for it, but over the years a cloud has formed over my judgement that forces me to give pause in this topic. Let me go into the few things that I know about crime and punishment.

- There's a lot of overcrowding in prisons right now.

- There are people in prison who continue to commit crimes because they either have no place else to go, cannot conform to sociality standards (not enough rehabilitation time or an inability to find a job), or think it's an easy way out. I only say this because there's a man in a Michigan prison right now who admits that he has committed crimes because life outside of prison is too difficult for him. He doesn't want to get a job, and he dislikes the responsibility of the real world. His case has been brought to the court's attention 3 times now in 10 years, and every time the man pleads to stay in jail. This is, obviously, the acception to many a rule

- Because of overcrowding, many judges are lowering sentences and putting criminals back on the street prior to their rehabilitation period.

- It costs taxpayers more for an inmate to be on death row than for me to pay 3 months rent with utilities in my current apartment.

- Unless they're confined to solitary confinement, inmates are given access to internet services, weight rooms, cable TV, books, and many comforts of home. This does, of course, depend on the prison.

- Celebrities are given more leeway and less strict sentences than average tax payers, even thought their crimes are just the same or worse (this has been becoming less common as of late, with Paris Hilton, Keifer Sutherland, and many sports celebrities)

- It's more expensive to give a convicted criminal lethal injection than it is to house 3 criminals for 2 years (based on 1998 studies of 3 select prisons, whose names escape me at the moment)

- It costs less money to buy a gun than it does to pay for a video game system

- Trials and waiting periods for criminals to be sentenced to the death pentaly can take 10+ years. The families of victims are not often given a sense of closure during this time period, being called into court every time a case of appealed or new evidence is found

- It takes less than 30 seconds to commit murder

That said, I often believe in “an eye for an eye” justice. The punishment should fit the crime. My stance is still for the death pentaly, but only after a criminal has gone through the proper court of law and has been found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. It is, however, a very touchy subject and one that should not be taken lightly.
My Drunk Duck Comics:

Nominated for numerous web awards, see more news at My Website
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:33PM
Custard Trout at 1:35PM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
DAJB
Interesting view. As I said before, that's where our opinions differ, so - rather than simply repeat my former point and start a loop - I'll leave this debate now.

I'm sorry, but I don't see where opinion comes into it. Killing is wrong. Murder cannot be justified. EVER.

You can't just go honking ‘OPINION! OOOOPIIIIINIOOOOON!’ every time someone disagrees with you.
Phantom Penguin at 4:30PM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
I do not agree with life imprisonment. It cost thousands of dollars that need not be spent.
If a person kills another person, they should be killed. I think that is the only reason that a person should be killed. If a rapist gets killed its not equal punishment, the punishment should fit the crime.

And having people on death row for 10+ damn years is pretty freaking stupid also, what the hell is the point? Brining your case back to court does not take 10 damn years.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
mlai at 4:31PM, Oct. 15, 2007
(online)
So you're telling us we should waste money and time on ppl already convicted of murder/arson/whatever, while that money and time can be better spent on oh I dunno the homeless? The unemployed? Nursing home quality? Better institutions for the mentally ill?

I don't have cable (TV). I don't have membership to a gym. Why should criminals? Explain to me again why we want criminals to have bigger muscles?

So maybe 0.01% of death row are wrongfully convicted? But wait, are 100% of the ppl in nursing homes, sick and elderly? Are 100% of the ppl in mental institutions, mentall ill? This isn't utopia and assets need to be allocated accordingly, regardless of anyone's utopian moralities.

That's why, either kill ‘em all within 24 hours of conviction, or if that bothers your sensibilities too much, get rid of the stupid death penalty altogether. A half-assed penalty isn’t worth having.

Vagabond at 7:49PM, Oct. 15, 2007
(online)
Why don't we just… I dunno… reform the prison system so that it rehabilitates instead of sodomizes? That might give people a little less faith in the death penalty.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Priest_Revan at 8:00PM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
To be blunt, I don't like the death penalty. I don't agree that “a life for a life” is the correct thing to do. And anyways, life in jail seems worse than being killed…

I've also always been a little worried if the justice system executes someone who, after the execution, finds out that the person they killed off was actually innocent.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
Aurora Moon at 10:48PM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
Man, look at those people complaining about it taking up too much taxpayer money. If it isn't prison then you're gonna complain that something else takes up too much taxpayer money.

Granted, Not every prisoner needs a TV or some crap like that.
I can see a Library though… prefferbly full of books about the lack of morals and the ethics of committing an crime so that those prisoner's can think LONG AND HARD about why they're there.

That aside… I love it how you guys make it sound like all prisoner's are living it up all cozy-like inside the Prisons thanks to YOUR money. Well, guess what? Your tax money certainly doesn't fund EVERY prison in the USA.
Nor are they living it up inside the Prisons. I've heard that despite all those TVs, gyms, etc that it can literally be the living true hell on earth. If your only desire is to make those criminals pay for their crimes, then life imprisonment for any prisoner is possibly the worse thing you can do for them than giving them the life sentence.

In fact compared to life in prison, you're probably just giving every criminal the “Easy” way out. They don't learn any lessons, and it sure doesn't bring any of the victims back to life or repair what was done to the victims.
And does it really honestly make the world any safer? Probably not. For every murderer caught and killed, there's just somebody else waiting to fill in the shoes left behind sooner or later.

Oh, and the rate of people turning out to be innocent are actually on a steady climb. so that percent of “0.01%” is actually much higher…

So say what you will, I think waiting and holding off before you kill somebody is a GOOD THING. Because not only does it give us time to make damn sure that we got the right person in terms of a criminal…. it also gives that said criminal time to think long and hard about what he/she has done to deserve this in the first place.
trevoramueller at 9:20AM, Oct. 16, 2007
(online)
Aurora Moon
That aside… I love it how you guys make it sound like all prisoner's are living it up all cozy-like inside the Prisons thanks to YOUR money. Well, guess what? Your tax money certainly doesn't fund EVERY prison in the USA.
Nor are they living it up inside the Prisons. I've heard that despite all those TVs, gyms, etc that it can literally be the living true hell on earth. If your only desire is to make those criminals pay for their crimes, then life imprisonment for any prisoner is possibly the worse thing you can do for them than giving them the life sentence.

This is a good point right here, and I don't mean to make my statement about prison sound comfy and cozy because they have cable and a gym (and again, not all prisons have these). Prison is still a scary place, filled with some messed up and scary people.

Prison is not enjoyable, even if they have cable TV, gym, and internet in some of them. It's not a vacation - it's goal is to rehabilitate criminals and make them learn from their crimes. However, it's difficult to do this ‘en masse,’ because you only have so many cops in a prison per criminal. It's a difficult situation for all involved.
My Drunk Duck Comics:

Nominated for numerous web awards, see more news at My Website
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:33PM
horseboy at 1:12PM, Oct. 18, 2007
(offline)
I'm in the I'd rather the bailiff drab me out back the courthouse and give me two to the nugget than be stuck the rest of my life in a cage camp. You don't get the death penalty for self defense. Personally I only support it when the person is clearly no longer human. Rapists, people that will shoot a 13 year old for his sneakers, having dismembered human bodies in your freezer. Those people need to go.
There is no such word as “alot”. “A lot” is two words.
Voltaire
Never seek for happiness, it will merely allude the seeker. Never strive for knowledge, it is beyond man's scope. Never think, for in though lies all the ills of mankind. The wise man, like the rat, the crocodile, the fly, merely fulfills his natural function.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
TnTComic at 10:55AM, Oct. 19, 2007
(offline)
horseboy
I'm in the I'd rather the bailiff drab me out back the courthouse and give me two to the nugget than be stuck the rest of my life in a cage camp.

A lot of people say that until they're facing the death penalty.

My take on it is I don't believe a state should perform an act that is illegal if its not done by the state. We clearly believe killing is wrong, so why do we allow it as a form of punishment.

(yes, I know criminal confinement is a crime, but we have to be able to mete out punishment somehow)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
mlai at 11:17AM, Oct. 19, 2007
(online)
LOL because it's a war on crime. And wars are A-OK!

Sociopaths are inherently evil, make no mistake about it.

Satan is not inherently evil. Sociopaths are. They define evil, because they lack good. There's something wrong with their brain that present science/medicine cannot fix.

Ronson at 7:27PM, Oct. 19, 2007
(online)
For all of those in favor of some form of death penalty, you just have to answer one question:

Are you willing to accept that an innocent person will inevitably be convicted and executed in error?

If you are fine with the idea of executing an innocent so that you can be sure that the majority of guilty convicts are killed, then that's the end of the argument … at least in my mind.

Because accepting a legal system that will kill the innocent puts to lie any theory of liberty, democracy or freedom for that country. And if you can accept that, you're too far gone to argue with. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved