Media Megaforum

Cartoon Network head quits
jalford at 7:21PM, Feb. 9, 2007
(online)
ATLANTA - The head of the Cartoon Network resigned Friday following a marketing stunt that caused a terrorism scare in Boston and led police to shut down bridges and send in the bomb squad.

The announcement of Jim Samples’ resignation came in an internal memo to Cartoon Network staff members.

“It’s my hope that my decision allows us to put this chapter behind us and get back to our mission of delivering unrivaled original animated entertainment for consumers of all ages,” said Samples, who was the network’s general manager and executive vice president.

He said he regretted what had happened and felt “compelled to step down, effective immediately, in recognition of the gravity of the situation that occurred under my watch.”

Dozens of blinking electronic devices showing a crude cartoon character had been planted in 10 cities as part of a guerrilla marketing campaign to promote the cartoon “Aqua Teen Hunger Force,” but when Boston authorities got a series of calls about the devices on Jan. 31, they feared the circuit boards with wires could be explosives.

Cartoon Network’s corporate parent acknowledged a few hours into the scare that the boards were harmless and part of a marketing move.

On Monday, Turner Broadcasting and an advertising agency involved agreed to pay $2 million in compensation for the emergency response the devices had spurred in Boston. The Cartoon Network is a division of Atlanta-based Turner Broadcasting, whose parent is media giant Time Warner Inc.

The agreement between Turner, Interference Inc. and several state and local agencies resolves any potential civil or criminal claims against the two companies.

Two men who authorities say were paid to place the devices in Boston have pleaded not guilty to placing a hoax device and disorderly conduct. Peter Berdovsky, 27, whose attorney has said also videotaped part of the police response, and Sean Stevens, 28, are both free on bond.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ccs1989 at 12:27PM, Feb. 10, 2007
(online)
Ah man, this is so stupid. Marketing is a crazy business and these guys were trying to do something new. A quick google would have told these idiots that they weren't bombs. Geezus.

The Press Conference about 70's hair styles was one of the best things I have EVER seen.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Priceman at 9:10PM, Feb. 10, 2007
(online)
If all the people were scared, yet all the children and teenagers were like “that's so cool”, that should've told someone something. Yet, Cartoon Network could've told somebody about this and saved themselves alot of trouble.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 9:51PM, Feb. 11, 2007
(online)
omg that's so weird… slash lame
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Gregory at 11:22AM, Feb. 12, 2007
(online)
Sounds like a fall-man to me. He'll get a hearty handshake and a fat pension for this. I didn't hear about the $2 mil. that CN gave Boston. That's still a pretty damned good price for the amount of publicity they've gotten out of it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
Crazy Dutchman at 11:42AM, Feb. 12, 2007
(offline)
Errrr, about that terrorist attack…………

You've seen nothing!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved